Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian family moving to Ireland 2023 - Best town for young outdoorsy family (2+2 small kids)?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

I relocated from England to Ireland nearly 20 years ago and I’m extremely happy in Athlone (where i have lived for all but 1 year, which was in Dublin). I wasn’t actually suggesting the OP choose Athlone, I was pointing out that a blanket statement querying why anyone would choose to live in the Irish midlands is a bit stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭EDit

Fair point. You correctly noted that I fell into the same trap as most others in this thread by making sweeping generalisations based on limited personal experience of an area.

OP, I moved here as a child, almost teenager. It was a good move for me. It was however, a move to a better place to bring up children than where I lived. My cousins in North America,on the other hand, had a much better lifestyle than I did. Lots to do, wide open spaces, hiking nearby, lots of watersports.

For the lifestyle you want, and have in Canada, you really need to think about whether it's a better life here....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

i moved out of Ireland, but have lived for more than 15 years in a Midlands town where my job was.

• while Midlands did us well for primary school years (short drive to school/work), realized secondary school is too connected to the university prep, so instead of remaining there, I preferred to lign up things to relocate to a place where universities are better.

but as OP has two kids, and appears schools are important , would want to bring for attention there is a yearly list of top 100 secondary schools in ireland, something like https://www.herfamily.ie/news/top-100-schools-ireland-249142

you can see the best midlands secondary school comes @47 in above. perhaps, if kids education is important, list above can steer what town to research more ? best of luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 15,229 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ireland is a small pretty homogeneous place.

There are little or no differences between places.

The lived experiences of someone living in a small village in Mayo is not much different from the lived experiences of someone living in a small village in Carlow.

Same goes for bigger towns and cities.

So the OP and family could rent in a certain location and after a few years be confident enough that if they moved to a similar sized location in another corner of the country they would know what to expect.

Or they could decide that they want to move to a bigger or smaller city/town/village.

During that time they can find out what life in Ireland is really like.

They can meet real people, make their own opinions, see how much their salaries give them, travel to other areas to see if they would like to settle there etc.

Take this hypothetical.

If you were ever buying a house to live in what sort of area would you like to buy in ?

Would you buy in an estate with high unemployment, a lot of social houses, poorly maintained properties, a place with a bad reputation ?

Or would you like to buy in an estate that the properties are better maintained, privately owned, has a better reputation ?

You can afford both but the former is going to be much cheaper.

Which do you pick ?

I'd imagine most would aspire to live in the latter.

That's no different to what the OP is asking.

None of us aspire to live in worse conditions if we can afford better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭mikeybhoy

At the same time I wouldn't like to live in one of those closed off gated communities where you probably don't even know your neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Based entirely on the criteria laid out by the o/p. You suggested Bray. What sort of house will he get for 500k in Bray? For 500k he is out of all the cities and the Dublin commuter belt. He wants access to airports and education and to have an outdoor lifestyle. The o/p is not going to get all of the things he wants so he will have to compromise.

• Advertisement

resettlement from the inner city to clear out the tenements

You can still buy a fairly good family home in Bray for 500 k

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sfj22

Hi Daney - I'm a Canadian who moved here from Alberta 15 years ago - I love it and would never consider moving back. We live in Oranmore in Co. Galway which is a small town outside Galway city that I think ticks all your boxes. We have a lovely house but nothing compares to the houses in Canada - I especially miss the basements! I love being in a small town though where you get to know people and we're still close to Galway city for all the culture and nights out. I love being close to the sea and we swim and kayak regularly - even today (it was freezing!). We have a Canada day BBQ every summer with the local Canucks - you'd be very welcome. PM if there's anything I can help with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Look at the population growth year on year, it's nothing to do with tenements. Most people living in Tallaght are born there, living in the majority private estates throughout the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Nothing like what the op wants. Good family home is all relative. Some people might call a 3 bed ex council terraced house a good family home. Others wouldn't and the op says he wants a 4 bed detached. There is one 4 bed under 500k in Bray at the moment and it is terraced.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭BingCrosbee

It’s not a bit rough. Tullamore is not in the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Possibly a different perspective (not read the full thread) but I would seriously consider Dundalk.

I grew up here myself but have lived in South Dublin for much of the last 20 years and worked in London for much of the last 8 years - travelling the world roughly 35 weeks a year during that period.

Some stand out points for me:

• The number of outdoor activities nearby is absolutely outstanding. So much of it is undocumented and only known to locals. Walking, hiking, cycling.. absolutely super.
    • Less than 40 mins to Dublin airport - literally motorway door to door.
    • Proximity to Dublin and Belfast.
    • Nearby Blackrock and Carlingford villages are great.

The town has a reputation of being rough but I honestly find that to be baseless (family have lived her for 45 years - myself for 22 of my 42 years).There is a humbleness and friendliness to the place that endlessly surprises me.

It's also got a third level college and a rail link to both Dublin and Belfast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I moved from Dublin to kerry. Whats lacking in weather, though we do get lots of great days, is made up for in quality of life, great scenery and amenities.

Our life is more out doors that it ever was. Wouldn't swap it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Might surprise you to learn that lots of people think the dublin metropolitan area is a crime ridden, traffic infested, property price inflated rat race occupied by posh wannabes and they prefer to live elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

For the OP.

A factor to consider is the size of the place you choose to live.

A place to big like the main cities and large towns and its hard to get to know people, to small and everyone knows you and your business!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

People are nice and will immediately help you if you're in serious trouble but it takes years to make a real friendship?

Ahhh,is this supposed criticism?

I've lived and worked on a few different continents and would be delighted if I could get your "complaints " as a rule.

This is a important point.

If the OP is coming from the Vancouver metro area and is looking for something similar then Dublin and it's metro area are the only options.

No where else compares size wise.

And this is where places like Bray or Greystones might be a good fit for the OP.

But if the OP is more open about the size of place they wish to live in this is where the need to rent for a few years comes in, they need see first hand how big or small cities, towns, villages actually are and what amenities are within reach of those cities, towns, villages

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Sorry, but what are you on about?

I am Irish, living in Ireland. I'm explaining how the interpersonal stuff typically works here. I'm not complaining; I love living here.

Some foreigners, particularly North Americans, move here and expect that a social circle will fall into their lap. It rarely does. I work for a US tech company and have seen Americans relocate here, who subsequently struggle socially. I'm highlighting this to the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

I would say Westport (but then I'm biased since it's my local town)

Pretty much ticks all those boxes except maybe 2 hrs from Shannon (but 45 mins from Knock airport)

Good choice of schools (a fair few kids also go to the nearby rural schools along with the secondary school in Louisburgh)

Good road and rail links (New N5 dual carriageway due to open end of this year)

Plenty of good options for eating and drinking

Leisure facilities excellent - On the doorstep of Clew Bay and the Reek, start of great western greenway, good cycling infrastructure, 1 public pool/gym and 3 private leisure centres in hotels.

House prices high relative to the rest of Mayo but plenty of options for a budget up to €500k

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's much easier to integrate with kids or by proactively getting involved in community organisations. Someone suggested GAA but there's lots of other sports, drama groups, choirs, night classes etc. You have to build your own network.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

the reality is that i think the OP will probably have the same issues here as there are in BC, there are affordable areas in BC, the same way there are plenty of affordable places in ireland, but the more desirable areas are out of reach for many (same as in BC) i dont think moving country solves that really and Canada is a fantastic place to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Yoshimi79

Hey Daney, I think sfj22 has given you a very good recommendation in Oranmore. You're right on the sea, not far from the Burren national park, and you could also head out to Connemara for a day trip. There's lots of hiking to do out there and some lovely beaches too.

You would only be a 10 minute train ride into Galway city which is very vibrant and a good spot for a few pints and a look around. Lots of schools and a good university there too. It's a good place to raise kids, there's a younger generation in Galway and lots of options to choose from.

Oranmore is also less than an hour from Shannon. 500k might just about get you something in Oranmore, house prices have increased a lot in Ireland the past couple of years.

I actually live in BC, was thinking of moving back to Ireland as the cost of housing/living has gotten out of control here but its increased a lot in Ireland too.

Anyways, there's lots of outdoor activities on the west coast and it really is beautiful when the sun shines. That'd be my biggest issue though, it rains a lot on the west coast

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ChrisJW

Hi. I am from Ontario, lived in Toronto, and have a sister who just sold in Kerrisdale. I have two houses in Dublin and cannot move back to Toronto without a crash there. You will have lots of choice here with your criteria although prices will keep climbing here. Ireland has far less gun crime than Canada. It is attractive as a stable place to live. Society is not as outdoorsy as BC but you can decide to live your way. Buy private health insurance when you come here.. Private school fees and university fees are far far lower here. Don’t wait too long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Shiok

All of the things you hope for your family are achievable in almost all towns across Ireland – access to a good education, nature/outdoor activities, community. These are the same things most Irish people value. The best town/city to settle in is therefore unfortunately hugely subjective. Good suggestions above but obviously not totally unbiased.

Other avenues to help form your decision:

- Seek advice from a relocation consultancy service in Ireland

- Seek advice from Canadian expat FB pages / forums in Ireland, any personal contacts you may have or even if it is necessary for you interact with the Canadian Embassy in the process of the move they may be able to suggest Canadian social clubs etc that you can gain contacts from. It will feel useful to have someone to help you bridge the gap – someone who now knows Ireland well but who you will feel understands your background, your norms & your expectations.

- Ask your Irish work colleagues where they live (I am presuming for this the move has been widely communicated & you know your colleagues). These are people who you will be working alongside, have chosen the same career and likely have similar income levels.

Advertisement