Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Seanergy

You have clearly replied to the wrong post so.

My post that you replied to was about mandates keeping the mask bullies at bay and the example given was Gov Ron De Santis bulying school children.

You seem intent on deflecting the conversation on somebody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Some amount of deflection and revisionism coming from some quarters.

Vaccines were never touted as being able to stop transmission. Absolute cock and bull. Why the need for digital covid pass to get into restaurants, bars, etc...

Masks another folly too... but most people were wearing them wrong or they weren't made of right materials.

"Da Science" has been shown now to be quite poor on many fronts with regards to the pandemic. Staunch defenders will still try and spin it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,286 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Vaccines in studies showed reduction transmission of alpha and delta variants. They reduced infections and viral load was cleared faster and was less infectious. That was one of the reasons underlying the vaccine pass. You were less likely to be infected with those variants by a vaccinated v unvaccinated person. Not sure what you think 'Da Science' got wrong there but your misinformation has already been debunked on the actual vaccines thread.

Masks likewise shown to reduce transmission of those variants and the case studies and comparitive studies of mask wearing in settings like airplane passengers, bangladeshi villages, australian cities and arizona schools.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Studies and real life are two different scenarios when looking back at what came to pass.

Very scientific? And vague.

The studies were in some cases analysis of what happened in real world data studied in Bangladesh etc

I stand over my previous points until some real data disproves it. I dont see how 'what came to pass' shows the vaccines didnt reduce transmission over the course of the pandemic. Or masks.

Stating that they were follies is a big claim which you fail to substantiate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Da science is definitely beyond your understanding. Keep trying and spin it up to your needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ceepo

The Victoria mask study was highly flawed. "Victorian government used ‘low grade’ mask study to justify mandate, experts say

Researcher ‘staggered’ that institutes used newspaper photos to assess mask use and effect on Covid rates' ~ The Guardian

The Arizona study has also been highly criticised with even Jason Abaluck, the lead investigator on a 340,000-person randomized trial of masking in Bangladesh, called the Arizona study “ridiculous”. Some the criticism but not limited too included 1, some of the unmasked schools had more school days than the maske schools. 2, using an "outbreak" which is more than 2, not individual case numbers. 3, some of the students considered “close contacts” of an infected student—and thus subject to potential testing and quarantine—only if they (or that infected student) were unmasked..

4, but this one really takes the biscuit.. They included a remote learning school in the study..

The 2 RCT studies the Danish study and the Bangladesh study showed only a marginal effect from wearing a surgical mask, between 9 and 15%, with the cloth mask in the Bangladesh study showing to no better than no mask. While the Bangladesh study had 340.000 or so in the study, the real difference between masked and un masked was 1086 confirmed in the masked group and 1106 in the unmasked group.

The real numbers in the Danish study of over approximately 6000 were 1.8% in the masked group and 2.1 in the unmasked group or a difference of 0.3

Below is a very good discussion on the Bangladesh study. Well worth watching

https://youtu.be/5P8aVDqEY6Q

Post edited by Ceepo on

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Can't say I ever saw the bullying thing and the kids thing varied quite a bit. It just looks like you're settling accounts here. It's over and really time to let all of this go!

LOL.

Masking has dropped to 5% on public transport already.

Sure your not just trying to spin your own prediction??

Still relating the "waking up" with not wearing masks. Pathetic.

Less than 48hours to go before next week starts and your prediction blows up in your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I never said masking had fallen to 5% on public transport. When you have to lie, you’re losing.

• Advertisement

A 52 minute youtube video... rather than say review comments on the study that the authors can respond to? Yeah right...

Can you ask them to outline a real world RCT on mask mandates that wouldnt be highly flawed or low grade according to them?

The Danish study showed small benefit of direct protection to the wearer in a generally unmasked environment. It could not assess indirect protection to others.

The Bangladeshi study showed efficacy as mask wearing was increased - in an environment without mask mandates and majority unmasked.

If we scale up those figures to an environment with mask mandates where the majority are masked and thereby also reducing transmission to others, it is reasonable to expect greater benefits.

Which was the reason for mask mandates.

Of course you didn't, you run your stats on 2 buses.

Spin merchants out in full effect. Lol going to Tucker Carslon for support.

You probably have no idea what Tucker said about masks in Ireland do you? See video.

Tucker Carlson said "According to the Irish Health Authority masking children in the classroom is not a legitimate medical precaution it's child abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Never said it was people's fault for negative results.

So you didn't watch the video so?

The serious flaws come when you do observational study or extrapolate up numbers to give what might only be a projected number, especially when you try to project that into a different situation, one where the population are largely vaccinated. Also the Bangladesh wasn't used a study to back up a mask mandate as the mask mandates were enforced long before it was carried out.

The Danish study showed a 0.3% difference which wouldn't be statically relevant. So it would have been a big stretch to use it to back up a mask mandate.

Edit. The video was only about the Bangladesh study.

The "low grade" was a reference to the Victoria study. Which used photos of people wearing mask allied to numbers of covid dropping conclude that masks work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Could be worse, I could be trying to cower behind masked children like a pathetic coward.

Link dumping long youtube videos are on my ignore function along with everyone else.

So why are you talking about the Danish study? It showed a small direct protection to the wearer at a time of low cases. But mask mandates were about indirect protection to others.

Where did I say the Bangladeshi study was used to introduce mask mandates? The CDC et al outlined the reasons at the time - case studies, lab studies and assessment of places which had high mask usage or mandates already.

I said it showed masks were not 'folly' or evidence of the science justifying it being very poor.

As I said easy to throw out slogans like serious flaws or low grade versus RCTs. Not so easy to explain what real world studies could be run that would meet the standards of these hurlers from the ditch in the midst of a pandemic.

What studies we have got point to the benefits of masks, what studies possible to assess in real world. Coupled with specific case studies showing same. And lab studies which outline mechanism of action in reducing droplets. This isnt my opinion but the assessment of all the major public health bodies in the world when they recommended mask mandates. This is the data they work with. I havent seen anything to suggest they were wrong.

Ah gotcha. So they use lab studys, case studys to bring in mask mandates, which have no real world effects. Right.

Why are you talking about the Danish study?

Because it was a RCT carried out on whether mask had any real benefits.

So people "using science" to say mask work only use some science., like this is how droplets are reduced in a lab. And think that's how it works in the real world with people using all types of masks whether worn properly or not.

I'll leave it there,!!!

There was plenty of posters leaving it there!!!!!.... two years ago, some had even lab in a basement.

I'm not sure of the context of your comment.

The op used examples of studys like Arizona, Australia city's (assume it was Victoria study) to show that masks reduced transmission. I was pointing out how them studys have shown to be flawed. They can take it or leave it as far as I'm concerned.

It's all very well for the cdc or who ever to come out say the likesof the Arizona study showed a 3.5 times protective rate in the masked group. But when you dive into how they got to that figure. To say its sketchy is being kind.

• Advertisement

We have been over this numerous times in thread but instead of read through the thread and realise that this has been discussed in full numerous times already we have anti-maskers jumping in presenting arguements based on half thought out beliefs and irrational thought.

People not wearing masks properly does not mean that masks do not work or that we will no longer mandate masks in the future, yes masks will be mandated again, most likely September/October.

Enough dangerous slackers(see attachement) took advantage of slipping the mask to the chin position or to under the nose to wind up those wearing masks, to virtue to signal to other anti-maskers and to say quiet clearly that they had no interest in adhering to enforcable public health advice.

The problem is not the masks but those who choose not to wear them properly. It is those people who need addressing, the mandate functioned.

More enforcement is needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭NedsNotDead

You keep banging on about greater enforcement. I'm sure it will be enforced in medical settings. The only place mask wearing is mandatory. For everywhere else there is no enforcement to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,838 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

You just keep banging that drum don't you Sean?

There IS no "enforcement needed" because there is no longer a mandatory requirement in almost every setting at this point.

It's over, done, no longer a threat to public health. if you think the remaining "recommendations" are anything more than a hangover from the ass-covering that has typified the HSE/NPHET responses generally you might want to look a little deeper.

The only thing you are proving now is that it's more about trying to enforce your own views/approach on others and smug pontificating - nothing at all do with any alleged medical risks or concerns.

You see that's the difference right there between doing lab test to prove mask work and what actually happens in the real world. Not everyone will wear a n95 mask or wear a mask properly. That's really world life

I get it masks work. Sure we have the scientific studys to back it up.

The 2 RCT trials have stated that the work. We know the Danish study shown an improvement in individuals of 0.3% and the Bangladesh study showed that 20 people less contracted covid in the masked group v the unmasked group.

Keep clutching that straw!!

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Try an post that on boards 1 year ago... Wouldn't haven't gone down well, you'd be called ALL the names under the sun, anti vaxxer, conspiracy theorist, granny killer, selfish asshole.. the list goes on.

Anyone read the Pfizer clinical trials data?? If that was released a year ago.. jab up take would have been very low.. you were all conned. But the hard core stead fasts on boards will be bulling, just by that comment alone ... could yous not see No??

All the apparent "very" intelligent people on here 😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣👍🏽 fell for it hook line and sinker.. how embarrassing for yous Biggest overhyped scam, ever played out on the global population. Yes c19 was there, and the alpha was the worst, after the summer of 2020, it was dying off.... But not on the state run medias, especially RTE... fear fear fear and misery. I know many people who had break downs because of the consistent fear pushed.

Those in power and medical advisors WILL pay for this is the coming future

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭DLink

Let it go Seanergy 🙄

I can now stand as close as I want to anyone without having to wear a mask, I can lick them or cough on them, and I'm not breaking a single covid law seeing as covid laws no longer exist.

Yes, I'm at the extreme end of the scale, I didn't even wear one in a pharmacy the last day, imagine that.... But I'm glad to say that I'm seeing less and less people wearing them.

The sheer pointlessness and absurdity of mask wearing is astounding.... I was in a coffee shop earlier and a solo woman arrived in the door, wearing her mask, and what did she do? She sat at a table with 6 or 7 others, and took her mask off. I mean, she wore it outdoors then took it off to sit at a table full of people.

What's the point in fighting it? We can't afford to go backwards, so embrace it, you had your two years of fun, but the game is over now.

There was a 23 percent reduction in cases in the Danish study for masked versus unmasked. The limitation being the small number of infected people in either side of the trial 42 v 53 as it was run at a time of low cases on Denmark.

The Bangladeshi study has more people in the trial group than the control group and showed a 10 to 15 percent reduction in cases for surgical mask wearers. This is in environments where the majority were unmasked.

Note how you criticise one study based on relative risk and another on total cases without sticking to a consistent basid for assessing the studies.

I am still waiting to here your outline on a real world RCT that will meet the standards of your hurlers from the ditch to assess mask mandates.

The major health authorities in the world, the experts at assessing the data from case studies, lab studies and studies like recommended mask mandates on the best available data.

Nothing to suggest they were wrong to do so has been provided here, just smokescreens and defelections.

Well, if you act like you post, the masks are the least of your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Huh?!? What problems might they be? you just keep masking up there, c19 might get ya 😂🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement

Advertisement