Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

But she tripped herself up completely. The Fox viewers will see this.

You may not be familiar with the tolerance of the average Fox viewer towards inconsistencies.

The odd time I'd look at a clip for pure entertainment purposes. Some of it almost comes across as self-satire - but the mad thing is that it isn't!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

But he was very good at persisting with the question is she being paid with the Russians. It will hammer this question home in the minds of some of their viewers. This is an important question.

I googled her after the interview. There was a dearth of information about her

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Interesting video from Deutsche Welle reporting from the Estonian border town of Narva about attitudes among the majority russian population there on the war. Pretty bleak though!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,398 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The initial coverage on Fox was mainly "pro-Russian" if you can believe it.

• Advertisement

You took my 2 plus 2 and made 6.

I was commenting on ordinary Ukrainian citizens who have never signed up for military service no less war- so yes, I don't believe if they shoot every Russian soldier in sight, armed or unarmed, is a war crime.

But I never provided any similar narrative for Russian soldiers- it's you that did that- they are frankly murdering people in Ukraine- that's my view.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Yer wan; "what's happening now is a military operation, not an invasion". 😂🤣 Fúck me. I won't have whatever she's smoking, and I'd not say that too often. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Reports that the RuSSian occupiers are going full nazi now.

You're not addressing my point. NATO countries are being threatened by Russia's actions. The world goes into melt down when the West intervenes elsewhere. Not morales, its common sense.

I think that it is very important that our media should be asking (I don’t give a damn if it’s fox, the Sun or the guardian asking) what is the motivation (query financial) of this Western politician (Souraya Faas) who is spouting extremely pro-Russian rhetoric? Given that Faas is seeking public office and ultimately representing the American people, it is important to know what her loyalty, motivation and accountability lie. Is she receiving money from a foreign government? That is what Fox is asking.

To be honest, I am surprised that more media outlets are not doing more investigation pieces on the matter

I commend Fox for asking the question!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

If he's willing to launch it at them, he's willing to launch it at us. There can be zero tolerance. What's to stop him firing one at us. We're not in NATO. Would the UK and US retaliate in that case or just shrug and go "well it wasn't aimed at us"

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭HerrKapitan

What a good chance for him to have linked to those 'multiple reports'.

But he missed it. Unless just a simple twitter post is evidence these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

I’m genuinely surprised at the lack of drone deployment in this war, seeing the tanks roll through the streets of Ukraine is like watching a colourised WW2 documentary. Not what I had expected from modern warfare. Surely the US and Israelis have some drone technology they can give the Ukraine to take out some of the Russian columns.

I wonder how accurate the statistics will be on the numbers of foreign troops in Ukraine in the coming weeks. If the Russians are surrounding the towns, then a big support army coming up behind them to give them two fronts to control might be what's required. All depends how many of these soldiers are entering Ukraine and where they'll be positioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭jackboy

The plan seems to be ethnic cleansing. Sent a large amount of the population into Europe as refugees. Execute the hit list to eliminate high profile citizens which could lead long term resistance. The last step will be planting Russians in Ukraine to really make it Russian.

Ukrainians are using drones to good effect, they have about 20 Turkish made drones and other smaller ones, and have done some outsized damage to Russian equipment and armor with them. If conflict prolongs I think we'll see more and more use of them.

Remember guys, it's both sides. Russia invade on lies from all directions with their minions Belarus, attack a nuclear power plant, attack civilians exiting a city during a ceasefire, attack residential areas, well, we've all seen what they're doing.

But on the other hand maybe the Ukrainians while their country is being invaded didn't go through the proper process for convicting a traitor.

BOTH SIDES!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

Nothing in the MSM about this.

Possibly could be maintenance work, no purchases being made or Russia has stopped the flows. anyway i'm off till fill the tank just in case.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Advertisement

You just linked a "MSM" news story on it, which also explains what has been happening since December

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I suspect a fair number of Irish people would be surprised and shocked at the level of old style racism and anti semitism they might hear in politics over a few pints from a large enough minority from the places you've listed. If we were sitting around in 1900 discussing future problems for European Jews Germany would be quite a bit down the list of possible dangers, while many places in Eastern Europe and Russia for that matter(and France closer to home) would be very much on the list. 'Pogrom' is a Russian word, while in the immediate aftermath of WW1 over a thousand such pogroms happened in Ukraine and during the Nazi occupation of Poland Poles murdered three hundred Jews. During the Ukrainian occupation at the same time Ukrainians murdered over six thousand. Neither required much encouragement from their invaders. In much of Eastern Europe pogroms were a national sport. Now they have a lot less active support from the general population and things have come on in leaps and bounds in a positive way, but it should hardly be a shock to find groups of ultra right wing nationalists, 'nazis', in those parts. And not a shock that Moscow has 'nazis' of its own to send in against the 'nazis' in Ukraine.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Nuance kind of goes out the window where an active war is concerned, and more so the closer it gets to your doorstep. I doubt most people in west of the Maginot line were saying to themselves in 1939, "Y'know this Hitler guy is pretty bad, but aren't we a little bad as well? Have we perhaps created him? Are his qualms with the Jewish people legitimate? Who can really say? Are his ambitions of territorial expansion justified? Well, if we go back to the time of the Holy Roman Empire..."

The problem there was dealt with, and then in the relative luxury of a stable Europe, academics could puff on their pipes and think long and hard on what makes a dictator.

We are not directly involved in this particular conflict happening in Ukraine, but we are part of the broader sphere supporting Ukraine financially and with well wishes and are therefore a legitimate target in the surrounding information war to chip away at western support for the country currently being invaded. That can come in the guise of having a 'balanced perspective'. There's a lot of online punditry going on with this phrase in mind. Even leaving aside forums and article comments sections, I'm talking all those Youtube talking heads who go on and say, "Yeah, war is bad, and Putin's bad, but we're also bad. There are no good guys. But, also, maybe Putin does have a point?" The American comedians and political pundit, Jimmy Dore, said that Putin's claim to try and denazify Ukraine was a legitimate one. This is what we're dealing with, and these people have hundreds of thousands of followers who listen to this contrarian cr*p. I'm not even saying his like are actively working for Russia or anything, but that they're so obsessed with status as a 'truth seeker' (and more importantly, a money-maker) that they will actively sow doubt and discord, playing their small part in undermining Western stability and support for Ukraine.

It's good we know this information though. We should be under no illusion that the majority of Russian people are likely to be, if not pro-Putin, then anti-West involvement in Ukraine. It's hard to blame them for these views, given the control their government obviously has over them, either through fear or through indoctrination.

He is in the business (lately) of selling internet access, he no doubt plans to roll out his service in dodgy regions with government censorship. It's just simpler for him to remain net-neutral.

Whether he can actually hold to these principles moving forward will remain to be seen. A lot of the big tech companies - Apple, Google etc - are involved in censorship and surveillance in places like China. They would prefer not to be but money talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Other than the original prototype nothing thus far, but the Taranis is a proof of concept project, whatever was to be developed from that was not due to enter service until post 2030, not 2020.

The people that I know who support Russia in real-life are very bitter. They seem to belief that the NWO is out to get them and it is all ****. They see badness in everything, where there is none

That cruise missile (8 missiles) attack on Vinnytsia airport in the center of Ukraine looks to have completely destroyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It think the general plan is that they want to take the south and then encircle Kyiv. When the encirclement is solidified and the Ukrainian Troops move from Lviv, west to East as a counter attack to make the Russians fight on 2 fronts outside Kyiv, then the Belerussians will pour down from the north.

The Belerussians seems like a big IF at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

You've missed the Bayraktar TB2 drone. It's become a sort of national hero in Ukraine. Turkish made. It's decent, not top end or anything but is doing the job. US & Israel are pretty much the best drone makers. Turkey bought drones from Israel and then developed their own range based on those designs. Turkey's drones did well against Russian hardware during their brief incursion into Syria.

The US sending drones to Ukraine would be viewed as essentially joining the war, hence why they've been reluctant.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement