Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Musk is a hypocritical toss pot in all aspects of his life. Thats hardly going to change because people are dying on the other side of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They have a bit of a history of doing that sort of thing. Shortwave had some popularity before the internet. I used to listen to BBC's Top Of the Pops from Australia.

Speaking of which, apparently the Ukrainians have been jamming Russias attempts to communicate with their aircraft via SW by blasting out their national anthem on the same frequencies.

So given your name, you obviously know a bit about these things. How do these particular drones work? Are they a one-use thing or do they return to base after delivering their load? Electric or fuel powered? What's their range of travel between launch and delivery of payload?

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

It happens and nobody should whitewash it. Let's agree the people who commit these crimes should not be part of any functioning democracy (post war).

The Nazi brigades are certainly not welcome in Europe. Whether they are Ukrainian, Russian or other. Just because they fight on "our" side does not mean carte blanche.

• Advertisement

It is scary and mind-boggling that one super-wealthy, non-elected individual has the ability to decide what can be broadcast to a sovereign nation.

But I guess that this is a topic for another thread….

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

If the Russians are underperforming so far in their invasion of Ukraine, it makes me wonder how much worse the Belarussians would be. I can imagine a group of them driving toward the front in a WW2-era open top military car, honking a silly-sounding horn and they're all sat facing the wrong direction. And then they get stuck in mud later on, and one of them is screaming 'Put it in H! Put it in H!'.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,660 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

That's the craziest looking signature I think I've ever seen 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

LONDONGRAD - the money laundering capital of the world

Extremely accurate video - Have a look - blood boiling

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I read some stuff about Putin from a person (*) that is watching Russia for years. He's not living in the real world anymore, most likely believing in his own propaganda. It can end up in millions of victims or a nuclear war. Or both. Link (google translated)

The number of refugees getting into Poland should go over 1M today. One of my family members is driving right now with 4 of them towards western Poland.

(*) Krystyna Kurczab-Redlich, journalist, reporter, author of books about Russia, incl. repeatedly awarded "Head for the Kremlin Wall", biography of Putin "Vov, Volodya, Vladimir. The Secrets of Putin's Russia", author of documentaries about Chechnya, nominated in 2005 by Amnesty International and the Helsinki Foundation for Human Rights for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I don't understand why the Russians didn't do this early on. Taking big hits when they could launch missiles unimpeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

I see more and more Ukraine flags going up and long may it continue. As far as I'm concerned I wouldn't waste tiewraps on the invading tyrants forces!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

Putin must be handing that stuff out to everyone 'cos that's the bullshit he's pushing!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What has been very noticeable for me is Russia's lack of air superiority in this. They should have had that sealed up in days. If you notice when Russian jets are flying it's in ones or twos and many seem to be at low level too. No mass coordination of aircraft like the US would have. Never mind that the US would have B52's going in in numbers taking out airports and other military targets and anti radar/SAM aircraft going in and AWACS to beat the band and drones 24/7.

IMHO what we're seeing is that behind the fancy curtain of highly advanced Russian aircraft showing off at international air shows their airforce appears to be seriously lacking in usable frontline aircraft and trained pilots(and likely smart munitions). I remember reading a few years back that because of cutbacks Russian fighter pilots were only getting around a hundred flight hours a year and that was up from the really dark days when if you had a few grand you could go to Russia and get a flight in a Mig. Western airforces would be at least double that and with simulator time on top. I'd be willing to bet that if NATO did go in against the Russian airforce it would be a similar result to when the German luftwaffe took on the Polish airforce in WW2. A near total wipeout. We're also seeing their crap logistics and out of date ground forces and general intel too. So in many ways it's not unlike what you described, a colourised WW2 army on the march.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I was surprised by the fact that London has sent no military aid to Ukraine and by the lack of sanctions versus other countries

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

Don't let the name fool you, I know little. As far as I'm aware, Ukraine doesn't have any suicide drones. It's a pity, because suicide drones would be a real advantage in this conflict. The Baykatar returns to base to be rearmed. It has a fuel engine and it's range is up to 300km. There's a TB3 out, but I don't think Ukraine operates any.

I think catching a western POW in person or seeing a western soldier kill a Russian will be easier for Vlad to sell the war to the population. The only way Ukraine comes back in this war is by pushing the Russians back South. The north is on the Russian border so Ukraine can only push back so far there. That's why the South it the real battle.

They probably thought they'd have the airport by now. Now there's little hope so they destroy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I thought there was actually a sizeable number of Nazi sympathisers in Britain at least, not sure about France, although you would wonder. I think a lot of people felt that the treaty of Versailles was very unfair on the Germans.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Oh the Gerries had no problems getting eastern Europeans to off their political undesirables. There were plenty of Ukrainians lining up to do their "duty" at Baba Yar, for instance.

As for Irish people and how surprised they'd be at the causal bigoted slur you'd hear in eastern Europe, I have no doubt that they would be. I've had my own eyebrows raised by some of the comments said to me in conversation by Poles, Slovaks, Hungarians and Balts living here.

Go beyond Germany and you have a mess of pretty similar peoples and they all have the animosities toward each other going back centuries. Poles dislike Ukrainians, Lithuanians dislike the Latvians, Russians dislike Ukrainians, Serbs dislike the Croats and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭thomil

Not Bayonet here, but the Bayraktar TB-2 is definitely a reusable drone. Depending on what is needed, it can operate either unarmed, if you just need to keep an area under surveillance or with a variety of different missile loadouts along four different hard points under the wing for an attack role. They use a regular piston engine and run on the same type of AvGas that the Cessnas at your local flying club would use. It can reach altitudes of up to 8000 meters, putting it out of range of many MANPADS, and it can remain on station for up to 27 hours, so it's quite the powerful system.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

One interesting aircraft currently operating just north of Kaliningrad is this Swedish Airforce "Korpen". Its a heavily modified Gulfstream used for ELINT or electronic signals gathering.

It's normally intercepted by SU-27's from Kaliningrad, so worth keeping an eye out for it.

If you or I made a few bob on the side without paying tax, we'd be pariahs - the UK government and its associated government agencies have presided over institutionalised money laundering of the proceeds of crime from these Oligarchs for decades - it's absolutely sickening. That's why we need to ask a lot more questions around how have we arrived to where we are today?

No wonder the Russians are surprised by the West's response, taking this money away- the UK has greeted their money with open arms and no questions asked for too long now -while it's correct to pose sanctions, it's a complete U turn - that also has to be said. The UK has only done now, what it should have done many years ago, so I wouldn't be praising them in any way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny enough I have found the same with the couple of Irish people I've known who are pro Putin. Very much of the NWO/AntiVax/Great Reset/Bill Gates want's my precious fluids types. Though that didn't surprise me as quite the number of Russian folks I've known and a fair number of those from former Soviet states can fall into this conspiracy stuff too. One Russian I know through work refused to watch the TV series Chernobyl because it was propaganda and Chernobyl itself was a CIA plot to bring down the Soviet Union. Yup...

If your recall during covid(oh we miss you now.. 😁) the percentage of those from Eastern Europe of the non vaccinated in our hospitals was high. Now I can understand to some degree Russians being dubious of authority as they're used to being lied to(yet have an odd reverence for the same authority), but Westerners?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement