Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do you define your PBs?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just assumed (wrongly, obviously) that you might provide some reasoning to justify your opinion, seeing as Boards is a discussion forum. No matter. Are you confident that your Garmin/Strava PBs are accurately enough measured to mean anything? For most of us, that becomes critical as we get to the edge of our abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ewc1978

I’d also be someone that sees nothing wrong with using TT PBS as you’re PB.

As someone else mentioned, with Covid and lack of races the past few years then I needed to see where I was and TTs were the answer. Last 5km proper race (well before Covid) I did was 2 minutes slower than a 5km I ran during lockdown.

As someone else also said there is a reason they are called Personal Bests. I’m not one who cares about competing against anyone else, just compete against myself, so if I run a solo TT and I get a new PB then to me that is my new Personal Best at that distance and a time I then use to calculate all other training paces. Seems silly not too IMO but each to their own and doesn’t matter to me what anyone else wants to use as their PBS.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

As BB67 pointed out, that 1m/k is the IAAF rule if routes are eligible for records or not; if anyone wants to apply that to their own personal bests is up to them.

Automatically counting all races and discarding non-races for PBs isn't as obvious as it may seem, btw. I have run a 10k that was 250 meters short, I have run at least 2 marathons that were definitely short, and of course I've also run a few races that were too long, and by quite some margin at times!

Oh, and I definitely did not mean to put you on the spot for that math error!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

To visualize the 1m per km rule.

You run a pancake flat 1 mile in 6mins and then run the same mile again with a 1% drop, the elevation loss will be less than a 12 inch ruler for every minute you run, or less than your height over the full distance, meaning barely noticeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭EnPassant

If a mile is 5280 feet, then surely a 1% drop is 52.8 feet, or over 8 and a half feet for each of the 6 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭EnPassant

Ignore above, just realised you meant a 0.1% drop

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

This guys is why the metric system was invented 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

5.28 feet, so not less than everyone's height 😀 think I just about qualify!

I would also only count official race PB's. Obviously people can count what they want as their personal best, I do have a friend who goes out to run a PB for his long run every weekend 😮. Each to their own etc. I would count Jingle Bells BTW!

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

I would tend to count races. But as others have said that's been difficult to do after the last 2 years. My fastest 5k, 10k and 10m times - none of them are from races. I don't count them as my pb's - but more as a precursor to my pb, an indication.

The reason I would count races as a pb as oppose to a TT or training run is that a race is a level playing field. I could go out and run 5km on the track or the cycleway - flat, uncrowded, a controlled environment - but I personally wouldn't consider it a "real" pb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

Measured courses only count for me. In an ideal world, all PBs should be on a track as it's the most consistent environment in terms of distance and terrain. Unfortunately very few run track, including me so measured road races are the next best thing. I've ran what would have been big PB's in TT's last year but I wouldn't dare count them as PB's, moreso good training runs and positive race indicators. Each to their own but I think you're deluding yourself if you consider a run on a Garmin as PB. My PB's would look a whole lot different (and more impressive) if I solely referred to my Garmin. GPS is notoriously inaccurate and variable between two identical devices. Just look at some of the variations of a typical 5k (3.11 mile) race on Strava, you'll see anything ranging from 3.0 miles to 3.3 miles and the longer the TT, the more inaccurate you're getting. For that reason, the best indicator has to be an approved measured course and even that's never 100% accurate as we all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

Garmin all the way for me. Only started running post COVID, so never have had the chance to actually run in a proper race so the idea of 'official' times is still a bit alien to me. Closest I have is ParkRun if that counts, and even in those when ParkRun says I run xx:xx and Garmin says yy:yy - I take Garmin as the source of truth as it is what I use as my measuring benchmark.

My Garmin is consistent in how it measures distances so even if it's just a little out over the course, it's consistently out by the same amount each time I run the same loop so it's still a perfectly good comparison for myself. ParkRun being my only official distance to measure the accuracy against suggestions my watch records a 4.9km instead of 5km, so if anything I'm possibly a couple of seconds faster than what my PBs say.

My 5km PB at the moment is 20:04 -- now if I entered an official race tomorrow and I ran an official 19:45, but Garmin says I ran a 20:00 -- I don't actually know what I'll consider to be my PB - I'll probably tell everyone else the better number of course - but internally I may feel different. I'll have to worry about that when it happens, but I do suspect I'd continue to use the Garmin time as my benchmark to compare against in the future.

Advertisement