Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

The manager is fairly getting it in the ear to but, being honest, having seen alot of the Meath club game, I would see it as weak. You have clubs like Kells for example who are starting strength and conditioning this year as part of their regular regime yet they were fit to make the senior final two years ago without that. In counties around Ulster that just wouldn't happen because every club are doing strength and conditioning as part of their training for years now. The next phase planned by Cavan County Board for example is that each club has their own gym for all members.

That brings us onto another thing, Meath is way behind in terms of club facilities when you compare it to other counties. Just look at Pairc Tailteann. One of the best surfaces in the country I'm told to play on but the rest of the stadium doesn't come close to matching the actual turf.

I think the problem in Meath runs further than the intercounty team itself.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Ladies are 1 down against Dublin on TG4 at the moment. Left 3 gilt edged goal chances behind in the first half. Vikki Wall really is a joy to watch play.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,456 ✭✭✭This is it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,720 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Meath are lucky that they have 16 players on the pitch today, the ref is a disgrace.

Suppose it makes up for the Dubs having 16 in the All Ireland final last year.

To be fair, we have gotten the rub of the green in the second half. Dublin's second goal should have stood. The red was probably a yellow (though she did swing back for no reason) and the other yellow was 50/50.

We seem to be finding it more difficult to break down 13 players than 15.

• Advertisement

Farcical yellow for Wall, this ref is appalling.

Neither of the yellows were fouls, the red was very harsh too.

Both were charging. You have to remember that the rules in ladies football are a lot different when it comes to tackling in that no (or very little) physical contact is allowed.

Harsh free at the end to lose it but we probably only have ourselves to blame taking the ball into contact. Draw wouldn't have done us any good as we would have been second on points difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

Missed enough to win that game really. It was actually a pretty decent game to watch. Serious crowd at it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

w

• Advertisement

The free at the end was bizarre. It was no free. Why was a free given. It shouldn't have been a free. Secondly was the game not over, before free taken, hooter is gone and its 0.00. Thirdly the freetaker moved the ball much closer to the goal for the free, than were the susposed foul happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

HT Kerry 2-16 Meath 0-6

Looks like it's a "they hammer us" year.

Just a terrible referee really, seems to want to be the centre of attention all the time.

As you said it wasnt a free, the game was over, blow it up for a draw and everyone goes home happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭dobman88

If the free was awarded before the buzzer, they have to be allowed to take it. Just unlucky for Meath it was in front of the posts.

Looks like we're doomed to division 2B. Kildare managed a draw against Carlow so we're going to have to get at least a draw (possibly a win) against Carlow in our last game to stay up. Shame that we never built on the 2016 Christy Ring success, especially when you see Down in the running for promotion and Kildare vastly improving.

Maggie Farrelly, unfortunately, is seen as very stop-start and card-happy even here in her own county. She did referee our county final last year and did a good job. She was also the first woman to ref an intercounty men's game a few weeks back when she was the person in the middle of the London vs Leitrim game.

Refereeing is a thankless job. I hated even having to do it at underage non competitive games. So, to stick up for my fellow county person, who has done great stuff for women in the game, feel free to sign yourself up for refereeing if you'd do a better job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭enricoh

Badly needed result, Clare next week who we always seem to go well against. A win there n safe enough- they were level with Galway today at half time which is a lot better than we did though!

Much needed result and much better performance. Don't think it was a coincidence that we put in our best performance to date with Menton back. A win against Clare will see us 100% safe.

Great display by Meath. Watched the deferred coverage on TG4. They looked much improved and alot more energy about them. Menton certainly kicked them into gear. Jason Scully is performing well too and Morris is always a threat up front.

Ladies through to the league final after a 6 point win over Mayo. Surprisingly, they won't play Dublin as Donegal scored two goals in 30 seconds to get through that semi final.

Minors' defence of the All Ireland title got off to the worst possible start as they lost to Longford by a point. Though I think the top three in each group make it to the knockouts, so it's not a disaster.

• Advertisement

Well that was grim. But we got the win and we're guaranteed to be safe so there's that.

Hurlers have been relegated. The usual "so near yet so far" result for them. They got back level with 10 to go only to immediately concede another goal and ended up losing by 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,042 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

poor game alright ,but had all the hallmarks of a dead rubber ,both sides poor in front of goal which made it hard to watch , that and the fact both teams probably knew the scores in the other games by half time meaning both teams were safe ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭rpurfield

I only got the last ten minutes of the match on LMFM because I had a game myself. I'd agree with Windy there though taking the risk from it with other results probably took the edge off it. On a positive note its four in a row unbeaten, McGill got a game under his belt too and there were more minutes for Menton and Jones too.

Just to hark back to the online commentary we posted about before I seen one comment online Sunday night that still baffles me. It was along the lines of "shows how far we've fallen that we're happy with beating Clare". This is the same Clare that's been at the same level as us for the guts of the last decade. Its never a case of heading down to Ennis to stick 10, 15, 20 points on them now. We've a lot of people who love to comment on the Meath team that haven't set foot in Pairc Tailteann or seriously followed other counties fortunes since the millennium.

5 points up with just over 10 to go. Outscored 1-5 to 1 point in the remainder. Ronan Jones off injured to top it all off. Laois or Wicklow in just over a month so we should have enough to get through that. Not going to go any further unless we get a lucky draw. Overall a very poor league. Had we won today it would have been an encouraging finish after a horrible start. Barring a miracle of epic proportions, Andy should be gone by early summer.

Minors' defence of the All Ireland ended with a whimper. Scored a 64th minute goal to go 2 up only for Offaly to get a goal themselves and win by a single point.

Looks like this will be the last season we see Vikki Wall in a Meath jersey for a while with possibly Emma Duggan to follow her Down Under. Can understand Éamonn Murray's frustration but you can also understand why the players make that choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Would you have any idea how much she might get paid for playing in Australia?

Their season lasts six months so players generally miss league but are available for championship. I know Aishling Sheridan and Sarah Rowe have both made it back in previous seasons to play for Cavan and Mayo respectively.

The wages aren't enough to be fully professional I don't think either. I know Aishling Sheridan has mentioned on videos with her that most players have a secondary income. She does online coaching and personal training.

• Advertisement

Yeah, looking it up, it seems like the maximum salary in the AFLW is $40,000 and very few players make that. Most make around $20,000. Regardless, nowhere close to enough to live on. Not sure if Irish immigrants can work on top of that or if they get enhanced contracts to make it worthwhile like the men do.

Advertisement