Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

For someone who is not a farmer you post a lot of fertiliser in this forum

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

You come on with a generalising derogatory post like that about farmers and then want us to answer questions.

No real work in farming? Come down into the pit in my milking parlour at 5.30 some morning while training a batch of fresh calved heifers and see is there work in it.

If you really want to see "toys" as you call them, go to a veg growers yard and have a look at his gear. Do you think farmers should sit on outdated, man breaking machines for 12+ hour days or are we allowed to have a bit of comfort and safety in our work? Men that worked those older machines have the bottoms of their spines worn away from the hardship of all the hopping, jolting and banging from machines with no suspension systems.

What do you work at yourself that is "real" work?

Your post smells of begrudgery and I don't know you, but it makes you look like a sanctimonious prick tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

We are all a bit sensitive today... i know a bit about farming but decided i did not want to do as i wanted my freedom...

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

So you grew up on a farm but walked away from it because it didn't suit your lifestyle and then come on here saying farmers have it handy now and just want to play with there toys.

Bit of a contradiction surely.

• Advertisement

usually the worst kind. begrudger. too lazy to do any real work

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

"Grants" aren't aimed at beef production. Decoupling occurred 2 decades ago so in actual fact most farmers would be better off to claim the basic payment scheme and supply no raw materials to industry who squeeze the life out of them for there own profits, or ungrateful consumers like yourself who put no value on there produce and clearly see them as scrounging a living.

Targeted grants such as tams are available to all sectors in farming.

I still own a bit of land... i never walk away... let it to a few cowboy farmers who destroyed it... agroforestry next... I have friends farmers and this conversation happens usually when new toy arrives... i be afraid to say to most... a spade make a big hole in persons head... i like toys myself and have a few...

That blind man wasn't a major donor to FF, the man who bought the land Bank that was Irish Sugar was.

• Advertisement

Good for you agroforestry was something I'd have a passing interest in but devaluing my land to permanent afforestation status is crazy.

I don't know what you are talking about with the spade but I'm off out to walk the land on this beautiful spring day.

I wrote in this thread how Fertilizer was an EU top level crisis months ago.

That wasn't very smart of me or showing great analysis. It was very fooking obvious and if anyone in politics, wider society etc gave even the smallest bit of care about Agriculture or food production in the western world it would never have ended up a problem or acted on immediately.

In fairness to McConalogue he is dealing with the reality of it but that is a lonely position in society now and especially in European politics.

I'll up production, I'll put in extra effort and I'd be willing to play a part in a war time effort to feed the world in my own little way as will nearly every farmer.

They can go fook themselves though if the cost and risk is all on my head, and when it's over being thrown out on the scrap heap again to maintain the purity of the free market.

Food production either has long term value or it does not. Food security energy security either matter or They do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,814 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Food security is going to be an issue beyond this war.

With climate change, were going to see farmers in the unlikeliest of places being unable to produce enough food.

Just look at the iberian peninsula. They are only 1 drought away from being unable to get a harvest.

Climate change is already have significant impact on global food supply and security.

Which is why Europe needs to step up and at least maintain food production.

Putin is banking on food and energy to win friends.

Food security is going to be a global crisis next year and maybe this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Bad times ahead if there's going to be a scarcity of concentrate feed for livestock, will pigs and poultry get preference of supplies as they are totally dependent on grain. Regarding growing grain in Ireland for human consumption, can we grow good hard wheat for milling consistently, or is it just oats we can rely on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭893bet

Mail on the head. And the lads he let it are cowboys.

easy play hurling from the ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Unless a dramatic turn around occurs re pig prices, and given where concentrate prices are going, their won't be much of a pig industry left bar the likes of rosderra etc that are tied into factories, poultry is loss making aswell but in both sectors you'd imagen when farmers start to leave the industry what's left will benefit due to scarcity of supply, but staying solvent long enough to see this is the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Ah sure we will all start growing crops so the housewife can buy her bord bia quality assured chicken for 4 euro and quality assured ham fillet for a fiver . Like fuk I will ,this bull **** by the loonies in government is a ploy ro keep down prices of basic foods ,there will be no shortage of food in this country but shoppers will have to fork out more for the essentials

The shortage will be in global food supply.

Putin now controls 25% of global wheat exports and their fertilizer is important for much of the rest.

Completely agree that farmers saving the day but, being a hero but having to produce for less than minimum wage is not a runner.

Bread here will probably hit euro a loaf etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

The government have already proclaimed not too long ago 'it is not our job in this country to feed the world 'and how in the Lord God name with costs multiplying and margins wafer thin are we to even attempt to solve any global food shortages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

You know nothing about farming if you think “grants” should be shifted away from beef production, news flash, that happen 20 years ago.

The best advice I can give you is, no matter what the topic, your best option is to say nothing and people might just think you’re an idiot rather than saying something and confirming that to be the case.

Also, could you send me on the contact details of the factory you’re supplying your beef to, €20/kg sounds mighty nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭straight

Small bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing they say. You like your freedom alright I'd say you idle backstard.

The article i replied to initially on this thread was about food security which we are certainly not in this country... The thing we produce most is great beef which quite a lot of our population cannot afford so it is exported... Quite a lot of our cheaper meat is imported as is most of out fruit and veg... This is all factual and if you read the article you will see that that is what the officials are say and i agree... Grants are being shifted away from intensive... There is a new thing starting in 2023 that i really haven't looked into yet but will in the near future... Its not me that is saying grants be shifted its pretty well official and has started already i think..

The only that is constant is "that things will constantly change" you will have to change like the rest of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,847 ✭✭✭straight

I did a grass walk there. The slurry I put out in January grew some grass and a beautiful colour on it. I have high fields that I couldn't travel and they grew 150kg Vs 350kg on the slurry fields over the last month.

funny how these wasters keep rearing their ugly idle heads here.

plus they will never tell you what they work at themselves because they are doing f all

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Could you not piss-off and give out to your dog for the evening our unfortunate wife/partner if you have one, https://www.irishexaminer.com/farming/arid-40798965.html

that's the reality of veg growing in Ireland, you'll probably start waffling about he should of went organic/direct selling, what did he need a fancy tractor for, but the fact is no one is listening, Brussels has walked the EU into a energy and now food crisis because our elite have the exact same mindset as yourself....

Your statements re farmers having to change that's a given, you'll see the national herd decline by at least 10% come 2023 on account of the Ukraine/Russian conflict depending on the severity of it, and how badly fertilizer/wheat/maize production is affected by 2024 another 20% plus could be gone, your wildest dreams are about to come through with the destocking of the national herd, and the planet been saved, with the disclaimer in developing countries and food insecure countries like Egypt famine like scenarios are nearly certain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

There’s no point giving the facts and telling the truth to someone like that.

The problem with arguing with an idiot is that eventually they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

How does Putin control 25% of World Wheat exports?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭enricoh

That lad was on ear to the ground a couple of weeks ago, he was saying 10c on a head of cabbage / bag of sprouts would have kept him in the game, but the supermarkets wouldn't budge.

My cousin is at flowers n lost a contract when the supermarket tried bleeding him n wouldn't budge. They got them in Holland instead. last week he got a call from the same jumped up pr*@k he was dealing with before looking for him back as the dutch crowd fell through. Yer man didn't quite get the response he was hoping for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

I heard in a news report during the week that 25% of wheat comes from Russia and Ukraine together. So if they report is true, he doesn’t control it, but with the ongoing conflict then supply chains are weak

Advertisement