Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester City Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Another away draw for us in the FA Cup. That means we'll only have had one home draw in this season's competition, with the semi final (and final, obviously) at Wembley, if we get past Saints.

Post edited by blueser on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Deserved win .

Good to put the quiet neighbours in their place. Mediocre first half from us. 6/10 at best. Totally transformed in the second half. 8.5/10. Overall, 7/10. We didn't need a 10/10 today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Should have been a lot more

they are an annoyance now

nothing more

how times have changed

They have been poor for years and are going backwards if anything.

I'm trying to find the graphic, but Sky tweeted that they haven't spent THAT much less than us since their last title. They've bought very badly, have had poor managers and have owners who aren't that bothered about winning trophies. They just want consistent top 4 finishes for the wedge that brings in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

We supported this club all the way down

will they?

doubt it

Remember the dark days of League 1 football? Going to all these provincial clubs, and all the local hard men showed up looking to bag themselves a big name. It was truly a horrible season, culminating in that boxing day defeat at Wrexham in 1998, leaving us in our lowest EVER league position (without googling it, it was 12th IIRC). Grim times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

The low was at York. Wrexham was the win that turned that season around, together with the Stoke match straight afterwards.

It might have been lower than anyone ever imagined but it ended with the the Gillingham match, which to me means even more than Agueroooo (mainly because I was there!).

Have to say, as much as I despise them, it was decent of the utd team to maintain social distancing yesterday, and keep a respectful distance from our lads.

One more thing.

As far as I can see, Sancho's goal was the first equaliser City have conceded all season!

We are in March! This is insane!!

That seemed a ridiculous stat, so I checked it out. You are correct! At least, in the PL (didn’t check the cups).

Took a gamble on us getting a home draw in the qf of the FA Cup, and booked a return flight with Ryanair. Ah well. You can't cancel them, so I tried changing the dates to the last game, against Villa. Which you can do, no problem. As long as you pay a €90 switching fee along with any difference in the fare (which is negligible). Absolutely crazy. If you book a totally new flight on the dates you want, it costs just over €60. I appreciate that there is some paperwork involved in switching, but I can't see the logic in a €90 fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,259 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Livescore showing a blank screen for me 😐

It's a clever ploy to hide all the empty seats, innit? Well, we've apparently paid off UEFA, CAS, VAR and PiGMOL, so why not the TV coverage?

If that picture is genuine, the lack of awareness/understanding/"cop on"/ whatever you want to call it is frightening. I was staggered when I saw it.

I think we win next week but that wont be the end of the season , couple of tricky games yet. It is City to lose now , but Pep does know how to win the league so I would fancy us to win overall.

• Advertisement

Yep. We've got the experience of handling the pressure of tight run ins.

2012, 8 points behind with 6 games to go

2014, winning our final 5 games to overtake Liverpool

2019, having to win the last 14 league games to win the title by a point.

I'd prefer it if (and my nerves certainly would) it had been a procession like 2018 and 2020,but it is what it is.

Watching Palace tearing Arsenal a new one tonight, perhaps that point we got there a few weeks back wasn't the disaster it seemed at the time. The old saying about "if you can't win, don't lose" springs to mind.

Absolutely. The draw was probably fair enough, but we could have nicked an undeserved extra couple of points.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Joe Exotic

Im not sure how confident to be about tonight dont really follow the spanish league and from What i gather atletico have been below their standar all season, albeit on a winning run atm.

I suppose we should have enough to beat them, but im waiting for a Pep tactical Masterclass to sink us 😀

Any Thoughts?

Atletico is a team that can beat anyone on their day, even if they are not quite at the top level. Remember how they knocked Liverpool out a couple of years ago, with some late Morata goals? Simeone knows how to get the best out of his team and, even worse, he knows how to drag the competition down to their level, when required.

We're definitely favourites but we need to be prepared to deal with the inevitable sh*thousery they will throw at us whenever they get the chance.

Far the better team here .

That'll do. When a team plays with a flat back 10, chances were always going to be limited. Hopefully, Atletico will come at us over there, leaving gaps for us to try to exploit.

The last 10 mins is what I am expecting in the next game . Why did Ederson get a card?

I think a few years ago City might have lost that game, getting picked off in a counter. The fact that Atletico did not have one proper attempt at goal shows what we have learned since.

Same again in the return leg, please!

I found it noticeable how their players immediately started to rile Grealish from the second he stepped onto the pitch. They clearly had been instructed to specifically target him, trying to get a reaction out of him - which they very nearly did on one occasion. Learn that lesson for the second leg, lad!

• Advertisement

I think either he said sonething to the ref or the ref got confused and though he was involved initially

How come we don't get this version of Southampton when we play them?

That City team well able for the Win. Diaz only glaring miss , but other wise that's solid.

I knew it was too good to be true for Sterling to have scored from a 1-on-1. 🙄

We should have won; we were the better team. Yes, I know, I'm biased.

The title is in our hands. Win every game from now on and it's City's. Liverpool can't say the same now.

We should have won that game. We were clearly the better side. If we had a peak Salah, or Kane, or (dare I say it) Haaland, we would have won that game by half time. Indeed, the league would be pretty much in the bag, as we wouldn't have dropped points at Palace or Saints. As for the refereeing, it was scandalous. But that's Taylor for you, the well known "Altrincham" fan. Riiiight.

If Txiki and Khaldoon were watching that this afternoon, they have to go all out for Haaland.

And to think back when Savic left City I thought we should have given him a bit longer...never seen a more despicable performance from a player

It's a clear tactic they use, they tried the same in the last 15 minutes in our last game aswell.

• Advertisement

That was just mad at the end - even by Atletico standards, that was off the scale!

You know what, Atletico played so well in the second half (well, for the first 40 minutes of it), it really is a shame that they keep reverting to the dark arts time and time again, this would actually be a team of the highest quality if they tried to concentrate more on playing proper football. If they had been playing like this for the entire 180 minutes of the tie they would have had a better chance of going through. I cannot remember the last time City were played off the pitch for almost an entire half like that.

And then? I sure expected plenty of sh*thousery but that was something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

well done - football was the overall winner tonight.

Should be a good game today, I think we edge it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Team selection is strange. Not our strongest...and showing so far

In Pep we trust!

Does look like he prioritized over games over this and maybe he is right, Liverpool at full strength aswell .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

I'm so underwhelmed by Grealish, Jesus and Sterling this season. I'm also annoyed with Pep - why no changes?

• Advertisement

Steffen has cost us the second FA Cup Semi in a row. It wasn't just his gift for Mane, he did not look great for the other two goals either, even if the first one was mainly down to bad defending in general, especially by Jesus.

Ah well. To be honest I expected us to lose that one after the brutal battle in Madrid. As long as we're back to full strength after today, it's still looking good on two fronts.

When you shoot yourself in the foot, there's not a lot you can do. Liverpool's attack don't need gifts to punish teams. Which we were generous enough to provide them with. Steffen had an absolute mare this afternoon. As for the gobs****s who disrupted the minute's silence; **** off, we don't want you and we don't need you. Apologies to the Liverpool fans on here for the show of ignorance. Unfortunately, in common with most clubs, we have our share of idiots among our fanbase.

In a big enough crowd there will always be a few knobheads, it's just inevitable with those numbers. We always had some f*ckers singing the runway song and it was the same kind of scum yesterday. Disrupting a minute's silence for Hillsborough is just f*cking shameful, there's no excuses for that kind of sh*t. Those guys don't even like football, there in it for the tribalism.

That's not our fanbase, though. The guys and girls I used to go to the ground with have always been an open, welcoming bunch. That's the kind of people I associate with, and that's the kind of fans I associate with the club.

It was always going to be tdifficult against Liverpool after the run of matches and the couple of knocks we picked up, its clear to me at least that Pep had to prioritise the League and UCL so players needed resting.

I do wish he had given some of the young lads a few mins in the 2nd half though.

Not much chance of Utd doing us a Favour tonight id say

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Relax brah

The worlds most expensive squad with some of the highest paid players in the league. Walking around a pitch getting slapped without a care in the world. But it’s city and the money we’ve spent that’s ruined football…

• Advertisement
Advertisement