Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter project 2021

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭goblin59

I think by the end of this I could have waited a bit longer for an RnineT. But it wouldn't have the same history. Once the bike is finished we're ordering stickers for the panniers/topbox for the countries that my parents have taken this bike too.

so spent the week prepping and painting the tank and brake calipers.

Kat down at KLC in Fermanagh told me the parts I sent to her for vapour blasting and the wheels (she mainly does wheels) were ready for collection. Picking up my wheels tomorrow, she vapour blasted them and repainted them with a two pack paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Looking sweet. Great finishes.

Concern for me would have to be media in engine epassage ways/insides of covers post vb. Been here before.

Any blind holes are a mare to shift it from especially cast holes that ain't straight where you can't see the end.

It's why I went soda on the blue dr.

Thoughts?

Cheers! I'll be painting all week I think, and probally next week too. I'm really happy with how the wheels turned out. I should have gotten a before picture. This was a similar colour scheme originally to the Austrailian John Player special, so always had the light gold wheels, but the paint flaked off decades ago.

Tom Cutter from Rubber chicken racing said the exact same thing to me when I was talking to him on facebook about Vapour blasting.

So the engine block and also the barrells didn't get vapour blasted in the end. I'm going to soida blast those myself, Didn't want to risk the Nikasil lining on the barrells from the particles in the vapour slurry

Everything is also going into an Ultra sonic cleaner and I'm going to make up a parts washer too. (Big bucket with strong degreaser and a paint stirrer attachment for a drill)

Still working away on the bike. Just getting frustrated by the petrol tank, turns out the black paint will show up every day imperfection so I had to strip it back and fill it in again today.

I've been slowly cleaning the vapour blasted parts I got back too, and then I've new bearings for the gearbox, unfortunatly the input drive gear looks like it needs replacing, they're quite pitted.

Next week I'm hoping to get the bike parts Lacquered and then assemble a rolling frame.

• Advertisement

Been kept busy with painting and swearing at the bike.

Have most of the bike now painted apart from the fuel tank, which I discorvered corrosion in. So getting phosphoric acid next week to dissolve the rust and then apply a liner.

Finished rebuilding the master cylinders today, the Rear cylinder was a pain to get the crush seal to sit correctly. Hoping to pick up my Wheels tomorrow from Franklins and then over the weekend I'll have a rolling frame.

Called over to a friends house yesterday to get a hand with the gearbox.

Using his Hydraulic press and a set of bearing pullers made everything so much easier so rebuilding the gearbox, the input shaft gear was partially worn, it probally was good for another 30,000km but since I was at the gearbox, it was worth redoing at the same time as the bearings as I don't want to really be taking the gearbox apart again unless I have too. It was quite pitted.

Replaced all the bearings as seals, and then hopefully tomorrow I'll rebuild the forks and Start work on the engine over the weekend.

Had to wait on new drain bolts to arrive as turns out I didn't have any, so that put a hold on the fork rebuild.

These just arrived today too.

Picked up the Corbin Seat, Panniers and Pannier racks recently from a seller in England

bit of advice for anyone doing a full nut and bolt rebuild.

Take the time and label everything and do up a spreadsheet of all the bolts!

I have a box of parts from the powder coaters and have to google what some of the parts are.

I also managed to misplace my final drive gasket,

Thankfully was easy enough to do up on Fusion360 and laser cut a new one from gasket material

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Handy bit of gear that :-)

Definitely! Unfortunatly I've yet to find a database of motorcycle gaskets, which I'm surprised at.

Starting to take shape :-)

Thankfully yeah! hoping to be finished by the end of the month. waiting on some engine parts to arrive this week and hopefully drop the engine in by the end of the week. After that its the electrics.

I'm looking at a denali soundbomb for the horn so I've to look into the wiring for that as it needs 30 amps, so I'll have to run a relay which isn't complicated, just didn't want to install one

lines are painted onto the fuel tank now, going to lacquer it next week.

You could go with the sound bomb mini which is better than the std horn and only needs 5a

Have one on the V and yeah it wakes them up :-)

Nice work on the tank by the way

I was definitely condisering the sound bomb mini! Mainly as after I measured up the soundbomb its like having a lunchbox on the side of the bike.

Cheers!

https://www.pinstripinguk.com/finesse-pinstriping-tape-f-30

I'm using this tape for the guidelines, takes a small bit of practise to use especially to get it to go around corners smoothly.

:-) your patience is far far better than mine

Your doing a great job of it :-)

J

Thats the engine dropped in now, waiting on a flange bolt before mounting the gearbox.

I'm going to install the clutch tomorrow morning and then I've to wait on parts to arrive from Motoworks. (Hopefully the last damn order, but something will turn up missing. )

• Advertisement

had to move garage yesterday, so put some of the bits onto the bike to make it easier to just move it as a whole.

Unfortunatly I don't have the engine or gearbox finished at the moment, a thread on the flywheel went. Its away at the moment being welded up and retapped.

The S fairing is kept safely in my apartment, I'm not putting it on until I've the headlight fitted and ready to go. So probally next week

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Those tiny little brake discs, awww 😁

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

I'm just glad its not a single disc like some of the other models.

Handy thing is the front and rear discs and pads are all the same.

Also you should see the top yoke. Terrible design!!!!

4mm thick piece of cut steel.

Trying to get an aftermarket one, but I've the pre 84 model, so have to order from the states

This is now slowly turnign into an Easter project too.

Moved Garage due to the previous being nearly set on fire, so now in a much smaller unit.

The engine and Gearbox are now in the frame. I'm just on the electronics side of the bike and have to redo the clearcoat on the parts as I wasn't happy with the results.

keep forgetting to update this as I'm in a cramped garage now with no space to step back for pictures haha.

Got the wiring working as far as I can tell, starter motor kicks in when its meant too and all that.

Then I got it into my head that I could do a far neater job and pulled it all out ! hopefully Monday when I get back to the bike it will kick in again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...whilst the sound bomb is good, the horn on the old K-series was great - and cheap.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭The Red Ace

just after reading the whole thread and it’s great to see the progress in the restoration, when completed you will have one fine bike, I have had an r65 when my mate of mine rode a 75/6 , all the air heads seemed very reliable bikes, good luck with the rest of the restoration.

A good friend of mine has an R45 at the moment, but he has the power kit in it so basically a R64.

It was really just the electrics in them that was shoddy, I've chucked the entire loom out and I've either made the electrics more or less reliable. I know during the summer

• Advertisement

Theres space for a second horn. Which given how city traffic is, i'm tempted to fit

Advertisement