Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭chooey

There definitely is. Where I live, houses are selling for about 650-700k. They sell, planning notice goes up, hoarding and a complete new house extension done. We got a quote for a small back extension and a room over the garage and it's coming in with no change from 300k. Not sure how anyone is affording to buy now and do it up, but there seems to be no end of them.

the current housing market has absolutely NOTHING to do with value! Its supply and demand. Plus this property is in Howth with a pretty good view, there would be plenty that would pay 1million for it..... not me but plenty!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Well no house on that road has sold for a million, according to property price index going back to 2010.

The highest was a 5 bed double story that looks absolutely massive, sold in November 2020 for 820, another sold in April 2020 for 560.

I fully appreciate that the housing market goes up and down.

I just can't see a fairly small bungalow outperforming a large double story.

But then if someone wants to pay 50-100% more for a property similar to their neighbours that's their choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 924 ✭✭✭GAAcailin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Loved the block party. Great idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Mixed views about the house. I think it's fine for a couple with no kids, but the young wans and herself being messy will have it wrecked in no time. She/they are hoarders. See something, buy it. I think her 'office' at the front right of the house (was supposed to be a bedroom) will be packed full of crap by now.

I get what they were doing with the central wall, but I'd be driven mad with all the similar doors and looking for something. I suppose you'd get used to it.

Front glass door faces NW, so no setting sun there much a la Newgrange. I wouldn't like it if people can see in.

I loved the bi-folds going on to the terrace. I'd use that a lot with an awning over the terrace for the sun and cooler evenings.

Also loved her shower tiles, probably the only time when her style and mine met up.

Overall it's a lot for a house, hope they are happy in it for good with their little family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,682 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I agree, its not worth a million. They would have gotten a far bigger house and garden had they just had a million to spend to begin with.

But instead it was a purchase for 650k odd and then some mission creep with the renovation to take it past the million mark. Thats a lot of money to pay to be still be living in a housing estate with no real garden. I think it was more a matter that they felt they had to live in that part of Howth to be close to family and friends so to them its probably worth it, they are what estate agents call special purchasers in that regard.

But their money would have gotten a lot more space and a better house elsewhere, for a million they even could have been closer to the city centre than Howth. Here is a much bigger house near Clontarf, 6 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms across 284sqm and a garden plus sea views, asking 875k. And doesnt need all the stress of a big renovation and moving out paying rent while its ongoing

Well there's currently a 5 bed 5 bath for sale in howth for 750. I appreciate a bidding war may happen and it might go for more.

They originally paid 600k for a very tired house. I'm not sure it was worth that to begin with, as it looked like it had never been decorated or maintained. I understand the saying buy the worst house on the best road etc.

I think his mam lives on the road so I assume there maybe a childcare benefit too.

Those steps up to the hall door with 4 kids seems total madness (appreciate that's the design of the original house) do they drag a buggy up or park it in the garage. Carrying a weekly shop for 6 people up those steps....I know I sound abit precious but for a million quid I want an easy life!

Plus a million spend to live down the road from your mother/mother in law Christ no 🤣🤣

yeah given they ultimately demolished about 80% of the house what they actually paid 600k for was the land it sat on. Thats a lot of money to pay for a site. I know it had sea views but they werent uninterrupted either, there was a house in front of the view with its chimney obscuring the view to Lambay Island, that would do my nut in. I think with a view if its not uninterrupted then its not worth buying.

I think some people are far too open to buying a house that needs these major renovations and they lose sight altogether of how much money they could have saved by just spending more and buying a house that suits their needs in the first place. I totally get major renovations for people who are in a house for 10 or 15 years and its just not working for them. But buying a house at full market value and then go spending 300k+ on it just a year or two later just doesnt make any sort of economic sense.

• Advertisement

For me personally I don't see the point in "paying for a view" especially if it means sacrificing outdoor space when you've small kids running around.

Realistically how often will you sit looking out? That particular view to see anything in the sea you'd need binoculars.

Not saying it's not "nice to have" but I'd definitely wouldn't be paying over the odds for it.

Again better value out there (I sound like a broken record) but the houses and bungalows along the coast road from black banks to Sutton sell for around a 800- million and they have lots of land. Or around the coast in baldoyle (he actually converted one a few years ago) . All of them have magnificent sea views that you would park yourself happily for the day....until the novelty wore off.

Granted you won't have the howth address.

I feel they initially paid over the odds to be close to mammy, then lost the run of themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I think everyone is missing a point on that one, the house was purchased for lifestyle parents nearby, good neighbours(the bbq) very family friendly estate, children playing in tbe cul-de-sac. Those children will have tbe whole neighbourhood keeping and eye on they, they will be in the sailing club together, hang out together, go to each others debs people are willing to pay a lot of money for that lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

But they could all get that elsewhere for cheaper and still be near his parents. The estate seemed to be full of older people - I wouldnt think there are much young families living there.

I just cant see how they can afford all they spent on that house ( possibly they won the lotto or got an inheritance). With 4 very young children and the high cost of childcare they will be very stretched financially.

He got redundancy of 100k so that would have helped.

From the LinkedIn link it looked like he went straight into new employment and he's working in a well paid sector.

I suspect the grandparents down the road are the main source of childcare for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He grew up there. He/they wants to live there. His family and childhood friends are there.

Good enough reason for me. If I had some employment prospect in the rural area that I grew up in I'd like to live there too, but I don't. I'm actually a bit jealous of him for having that. Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

cant beleive they left a hole in the roof for months like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Serious potential this week, amazing site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Two houses for half a million is a tight budget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Other than being freezing, that house has it all with a little reconfiguration

• Advertisement

budget 525k . dermat comes back at570+k

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Fab site! Hopefully it won't be an eyesore

noticed that, par for the course with Bannon. Still though if they can build a new house and renovate the existing one for 570k thats not bad in the current market

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Circa €150k for energy upgrades, I'd expect it to turn water in to wine at that price.

Is it not strange that planing permission was not needed for the renovation

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,046 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The size and position of the extension looks well within the exemption parameters.

30 min in and all we have seen is demo and some blockwork and some roof . non of the new house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Dermot wearing a Farah jacket. The Donegal fella wearing a Farah shirt. The husband wearing a Farah fleece!

how can you drop that kind of money on an energy upgrade and now be wondering if its enough to get the grant. surely it should be speced to get it

• Advertisement

Exactly it’s 20 grand you definitely be making sure it was done to spec and not fretting you were about to suddenly lose the grant.

I would presume to get grant you have a very particular set of rules to follow and up to contractors to get that done

Advertisement