Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why is the Irish Labour party such a failure ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Was talking about Labour or to be fair FG more so, 'change they we do business, end quangos etc.' my hole.

Shinner thread elsewhere.

She left because Labour said nothing about Reilly's allocation of clinics

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You know that FG led that Government, right? Gotta laugh at voters who give Labour a minority position and are then surprised when FG as the largest party implements FG policies.

Sounds like more excuses. Labour could have threatened to walk. Was it the pensions do you think?

If you want Labour to explain themselves, maybe go ask Labour. If you want to blame Labour for every action of the FG led government, where they had close to an overall majority, that’s your choice, but it’s a bit like blaming Belarus for Putin’s invasion of Ukraine.

• Advertisement

Yeah, genius idea. Kenny would have picked up the phone to Shane Ross asking him which of the Labour ministries he would like. Never make threats that you can’t deliver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Sorry if I wandered into a thread where speculation is not allowed, even about the true reasons for the Labour Party crisis. The Labour Party love to lecture others about transparency but their delicate sensibilities shall not be disturbed by probing questions on Boards.ie.

I’ll go elsewhere to figure this out. Or maybe not. In a couple of elections from now, as a few survivors gather to wonder over the demise of our oldest political party, they might consider whether they lived up to the exalted standards they demanded of others.

Straw man there. You’re very welcome to speculate about causes. It’s not a good idea to name individuals as being involved in something dodgy with zero foundation. You may find yourself or boards.ie on the wrong end of a defamation lawsuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

That identity politics,woke (and i hate that word) nonsense appeals to a sizeable minority of people on twitter and fcuk all people in real life.

The Labour Party are about to find that out but in fairness they can't fall much further than where they are,maybe that's why they're taking a punt on Bacik.

They have wandered so far from any credible grass roots that she is now set to be leader........of the LABOUR Party????

Who is going to vote for them now? Anyway it doesn't matter as they are already an irrelevance at the polls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

I’m not defaming anyone unless you believe that accusing someone of working for the Labour Party would damage their reputation - an interesting line of argument, M’Lud!

Never mind, the truth will out (i.e. the dogs in the street will know but our media won’t report)

• Advertisement

Who's screaming and shouting?

Look, whatever way you skin it, they propped up a rotten shower of chancers.

I'll settle for not giving them a vote.

I'd blame Belarus for aiding and cheerleading him, so yeah, reasonable analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I actually think she's a pretty good choice as she is well placed to pursue a merger with the Social Democrats

Soc Dem voters really like her

Look at the intimate details that were published of de brudders previous difficulties. If your speculation was true, there would be no issue about publishing it. Stop trying to make a conspiracy out of nothing.

They propped up the party that were given close to an overall majority by the electorate. But maybe you think your personal preferences should get priority over democracy.

And by all means blame Belarus for aiding and cheerleading, but don't blame them for invading, as you have done with Labour.

Post edited by AndrewJRenko on

When I vote for a party I like them to behave as sold on the day of voting. Both FG and Labour let the public down immensely. Why on earth would I support them? I blame Labour for their part. When Burton start making remarks about protesters being able to afford mobiles they were already done in my book. I can't really tell you any more. I expected better from the pair of them considering the state we were in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,719 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This as well.

There are so many stupid people out there. People think that because a party is in government they have near-dictatorial powers to implement policies they want.

You're confusing people unhappy with the performance of a party in government with people you made up.

That is your absolute right.

However, it seems to ignore the reality of coalition governments in Ireland and the inherent compromises that go with that.

Let's be serious here for a minute,what percentage of the supposed Labour grass roots can relate to this lady?

They are a joke party now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Well Bacik herself clearly tapped into something in the DBS by-election, when most pundits were predicting a straight fight between SF and FG. It might have been thought the issues she has been championing for the past three decades were 'eaten bread' for the vast majority but seemingly there's mileage in the liberal agenda yet for some voters. The liberal middle classes may be politically fickle but are very politically engaged and highly likely to vote and thus very much a prize worth winning.

• Advertisement

Taking Dublin bay south as a barometer for Ireland will not end well.

Fortunately or unfortunately for the Labour Party they are starting from a low bar and have nothing to lose.They are an irrelevance.

It's sad really because there are plenty of people like me would would like a change to FF/FG but will never vote for SF.

That's history, no different for FF, SF have stolen a significant percentage of Labour and FF traditional vote

If Bacik can persuade Soc Dem and also Green voters to move towards her ,that's growth ,there will always be people who prioritise socially progressive issues above all else so she might as well stick to what she knows best

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I'm amazed Bacik didn't jump ship to the soc dems a few years ago, she fits their profile far better than Labour.

Labour are a meandering mess with no clear direction, there's a few decent councillors and people on the ground, I'll admit I voted for Labour in the last election, on the strength of the candidate rather than the party and my disdain for FF/FG & SF. But when you go from Gilmore, to Kelly and now presumably to Bacik, what is the actual purpose of the party?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭jmcc

Labour's position is best thought of as being the turd in the turd sandwich of Irish politics. That worked for decades in the 2.5 party model with FF and FG being the bread, The problem for Labour and its FG supporters is that the political model changed from being a 2.5 party model to being a Big Three party model and Labour collapsed from 37 seats to just 7. The FG supporters are the only ones left supporting Labour on Social Media and discussion sites now as most Labour types are either too embarrassed at the virtue signaling/identity politics mess their party has become or don't use such websites. Labour used to support working class issues and drew a lot of its support from those demographics. However, due to the YATSEfication (Yet Another Teacher Seeking Election) of the party, it gradually lost touch with its roots and supportbase. Things got worse after the Stickies took over the party and going into government in 2011 was a fatal mistake. The Stickies pension tourists fecked off with their pensions but Labour, as a party, was destroyed.

Labour is about the crown another "leader" and Bacik may not hold her seat at the next GE. If Labour had another TD, it could be a case of an RTE approved princess and seven political dwarves. On Labour's current polling, it ill be lucky to return four seats. The SocDems seem to be replacing Labour in the polls. Bacik's election will have RTE trying to pretend that Labour is a major party but it is just a fringe party.

Regards...jmcc

No. For a start, most pundits are idiots. What happened in DBS was simple. FG screwed up its candidate selection due to Varadkar's hissyfit about Kate O'Connell and made a mess of the campaign. FF ran a very weak candidate and also screwed up its campaign. SF gave a candidate a run to test out the possibility for a second SF seat in a GE. With the three main parties effectively not really contesting the seat, Bacik managed to get elected in a very odd bye-election. In a General Election, the big parties and the Green parties would be fighting hard to get elected and that would be a very different election. Voting patterns would revert to traditional party patterns.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

I agree strongly with your post. I would love a proper left party who care about issues such as housing, healthcare etc. I don’t see SF as that party. I used to see labour as a party who cared about issues important to workers. We all know none of the big three care about workers.

This identity politics business is toxic. The gap between rich and poor seems to be increasing all the time and and that is bad for society and should be addressed. If you want to make peoples lives better then ensure that people can afford to put a roof over their head, can get healthcare they need in a timely matter, have access to education and if needed supports.

The labour party are always in power even they are in opposition as they have RTE to set their agenda ,RTE have eyes for the Greens and the SOC DEMS this past number of years ,it would probably make sense for a three way merger of Labour, Soc Dems and the Green Party, all share the same views on everything and chase a very similar demographic

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

The problem in this country is people expect Scandinavian style services while at the same time having hundreds of thousands of low paid workers outside the tax net and thinking that "car tax pays for my water"

The SocDems and Labour would be closer. The Greens are quite a different kind of party and have very different supporters. They are some dedicated eco types but they are politically more astute than Labour/SocDem supporters. After 2016 and the implosion of Labour, the Greens seemed to get a lot of the type of supporters/members who would previously have joined Labour ("issues" and identity politics types not unlike the current Labour TDs). There was an attempt by these entryists to remove Ryan as leader and it failed. The Greens were not Labour. The demographics of the Greens supporters also seem to confirm a kind of "FG on bikes" description.

RTE has always had a Stickies/Labour element due to the poxification of the station by Stickies/Official Sinn Fein/The Workers Party/Democratic Left. There was also an "our kind of people" element with the way that Ryan was on lots of RTE political programmes for years despite the Greens having no TDs. The same promotion by RTE of Labour as a major political party can be seen today despite Labour being just a fringe party.

The best thing that the SocDems could do is to leave Labour destroy itself with identity politics and other dimwitted rubbish and then pick up former Labour support. The worst thing that the SocDems could do is to merge with the tainted Labour brand. As long as Shortall is a co-leader of the SocDems, there will be a reluctance to merge with Labour.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

But the Soc Dems are even more committed to identify politics and WOKE stuff than Labour?

Advertisement