Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room to Improve (v2)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

for god sake . this ep is full of fluff. do we really care about her parent , his parents, when they moved to their house, that show house . now his school.

show the bloody house build for god sake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

The position of the children's bedrooms in the basement away from the parents bedroom is strange to me..especially when they are so young.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,310 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I liked the upstairs balcony, pity they lost that, you couldn't put a price on being able to drink some cans in the summer sun up there with the view.

I stand corrected, new balcony, summer is saved 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,979 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The outside looks like a glorified shed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Looks like a giant portacabin from the outside.

Not mad on the livingroom ceiling either!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I love it, but was any house built fir the parents

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Would like to see the parents house!

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Sandz066

New "balcony" is indoors though? Or did I pick that up wrong

M

No preview of next weeks show, boo.

• Advertisement

M

Seems to be sheltered inside almost like another room wasn't shown for too long. I preferred the old.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Yeah, not overwhelmed with tonight's episode.

They have changed the format of the show and don't show any of the process of selecting the kitchens, bathroom ware.

Don't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Yea strange episode.

Looks like Dermot taking a step back.

a month before finish and they putting down insulation and presumably underfloor heating and liquid screed .

sudenly then its finished

M

Request at the end for new clients with no planning permission required is rather odd, really limits what Dermot can do with a place which is what I thought the idea of the show, pretty much same footprint and a rear extension it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Budget is tight… but they go with Rationel aluclad windows - which (I know from experience) are a great product but 30%+ more expensive than uPVC… I do wonder what the discounts offered are like when the suppliers name is plastered all over the TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,393 ✭✭✭CH3OH

I'm surprised they didn't cover the roof in solar panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Maybe they are trying to go back to the original format of just "doing a room" and not a rebuild.

They were waiting 8months on the pp for parents house to go through so I presume they just want "flip" projects that are relatively straight forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,744 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think we're going to see an emphasis on people making there houses more energy efficient!

• Advertisement

hopefully they start actually showing that side then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

So much filler in that episode. Once again I'd like to see more of the finished build.

House itself was gorgeous. Those views you'd never tire of.

As mentioned didn't like the children's rooms being so far away from the parents especially when they are so young.

The roof looked like a shed but I wouldn't worry too much about that.

I got the impression that his parents might be invited for extended stays now they have a spare room.

Personally I wouldn't like to live that close to parents/in laws. I would find it very claustrophobic.

I always wonder long-term when one child takes over and renovates the family home especially in this case where parents are building on the land. Nothing like a will to cause a split between siblings. You would want everything very watertight from a legal point of view.

They won't really. This is more of a Reality TV show and the the format seems to be doing well for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Deeec

Tonight's finished house looked awful from the outside. The inside though was finished really well - the living areas were roomy, comfortable and functional. The views were fab.

I agree with what others have said about where the kids bedrooms were positioned - this doesn't work when kids are small for the parents bedroom to be not close by.

Overall though they got a great house for the spend. Much better than last week's finished house which seemed tiny in comparison.

sadly they have gone down the soap opera route rather than going towards an home improvement show

I think they need to find the right mix to honest.

I remember a few seasons ago thy had clients who were a tad tough going to make the show and they got a lot of abuse online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Is it the covid effect? Camera crews probably couldn’t be following people around like they used.

Beautiful house, but boring episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,586 ✭✭✭✭siblers

They probably hammed it up to make the building process seem more dramatic than what actually it was. Doubt there was ever any issues with the grant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Not too keen on that. A lot of elements were right, but they were right from the first build 40 years ago. They just needed TLC.

I liked the big windows and the overall interior layout. I get the thing with the young kids being a bit away, but in a few years you'll be glad of the space away from them.

I thought the white inside painted ceiling was desperate. On a sunny day you'll need sunglasses in there. Outside of house looked like a shed as someone already mentioned. Painting brickwork takes away from the original. The black decking on the balcony will reflect heat on a sunny day and make it impossible to walk on in bare feet or thin socks. Bad decision. They'll learn yet. But the half of it blocked off with glass is a nice idea.

Also didn't like the way they said the parents house had to be reduced in size again to accomodate the build. Didn't show it at all which makes me a wee bit suspicious, maybe it's not finished.

He said it's a 38 minute commute to Ranelagh Well it is at midnight, it's more like 60-90 mins in the morning, and a good 45-75 in the afternoon. Best of luck with that. I suppose he can go for a transfer.

Two other things; there was a wooden fence to the left of the garden, it partially blocked the view, a bit odd, so I wonder what the story was there.

Also I would have tried to open it out a bit more to the left side of the sitting room to get better views of Mullaghcleevaun.

House is here, best part of a million if the parents had sold it as it was: https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.1506355,-6.4992559,3a,75y,206.72h,71.01t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s39g7w_yAkBBVGwQaZ-NVJw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

I really liked the finished house, it made the best of views which were stunning and space they already had, although I would agree entrance looked odd like portacabain.

The couple were lovely, very down to earth and well able to stick to their budget and ignore Dermots expensive ideas.

The show is getting a but if joke in sense that each week we are seeing less + less of actual build of house materials etc.

The bedroom extensions downstairs had already been built recently, so that's why Im presuming they kept them even if location not ideal for the kids, your not going to redo recent extension especially on their tight budget.

Advertisement