Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭adunis

Yep efficient it's not.

Perfectly fine but I'll be looking at ioniq 5/E Megane at PCP end , available deal will dictate direction.

I paid 31k, 0% PCP metallic and 204hp

And got 17.5k off the dealer for my ioniq

Easy to see why I went id3 not ioniq5 at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,456 ✭✭✭✭fits

Do you think the ioniq 5 is more efficient?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

yep, in pretty much the same place but no metallic paint!

i assumed that I’d be keeping the car for a long time but now I’ll be looking at my options when pcp ends.

unless the software updates fix everything, lolz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭eagerv

It's not. Unless you are doing a lot of very short trips in very cold weather where the ID battery heating is a problem. But hopefully that will soon be resolved.

I’m looking at electric bikes this morning. Live just outside a hilly village and would be great to spin into the shops on it.

• Advertisement

Yes they are a great invention😉. Love our 10 yr old one, the battery is as good today as when new. Must be the LFP battery!!😁.

A good shop in Kilkenny...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

That Polo sounds like the definition of sadness. I'd hope you get the ID.3 back before petrol hits €2 per litre

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Re efficiency,NOTHING is a match for the original ioniq of will be again although the model 3 comes v close,ID3 is perfectly fine but in my world the ioniq5/E Megane are nicer cars IMO.

• Advertisement

Personally from seeing the Ioniq 5 in person I'd say the EV6 is the better looking one. Mégane E is nice too, but the spec sheet is impressive for 2019

None of them are as efficient as the original Ioniq, but the bigger batteries makes that basically moot

They are bigger cars than the ID.3, so maybe this argument would have a better home in the ID.4 thread 😉

If it were up to me, I'd really like an ID.4 exterior on the Ioniq 5 platform and interior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

im looking at the rrp of new id.3s (net of seai grant / vrt rebate) and the 2020 ones that are being sold used by dealers are more or less at the same price

whats going on here? is it that people are willing to pay a premium so that they dont have to wait a few months for a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

whats going on here? is it that people are willing to pay a premium so that they dont have to wait a few months for a new one?

That's pretty much it and also used car prices are also up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Is the ID3 heavier than the golf and has a worse Cd factor than the golf.

I am 6-2 and would have a headroom issue in the golf

I suspect ID3 is also more comfortable.

I am at 19 also after 12k kms,

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

If you're budget can stretch get an electric bike with a Bosch motor, they are really good mid drive motors that use the bikes gearing for better efficiency for the hills. I have an older 2013 Haibike with Bosch motor and it's only 50Nm of torque which is fine but sometimes more power would be nice, if you can get one of the newer bikes with 70 Nm torque then do the difference would be big and less demanding on your legs.

If you are familiar with Mount Leinster which I'm sure you are, from the 9 stones car park I was able to get right to the RTE site on the top with the Haibike and Bosch motor but the gearing is what is important too, I was a lot fitter then too but the point being I would not have been able to get up there without the Bosch and it was tough work with 50Nm torque. There are lots of ebikes that would not be able to do this particularly those with hub motors. But hubs are fine for more push on level ground, through wind and small hills.

Yeah was great getting the id3 back, night and day difference, the instant throttle response and the power, even for a heavy car the id.3 still has decent power at speed on the motorway, going from 100-120 in the Polo was painful but reminded me that if a polo or other small car like that is in the fast lane and you're screaming for them to move it's because they really can't move lol.

I'd hate to go back to using gears too.

The running costs, wow, major difference, I checked my charge point app and used 22 Euro's of electricity to drive from Carlow to Dublin and pottering around Kms, weekends etc. Of course that includes a lot of work electricity, but still, if I were charging at home all the time the difference would still be massive compared to a polo with 3 cylinders and no power.

Reminds me of my mum driving through the UK recently with her brother and sister in law in a rented Yaris Hybrid. They were going up a long slope at one point and the cat sounded like it was about to explode.

And people complain that they won't be buying city car EVs that can't handle long trips 🙄

Of course I was winding her up asking why she didn't take her ID.3 down instead. It's a 58kWh so there would be a few charges but the UK network is a lot better and she wouldn't be in a hurry

Apologies if this has been covered in the 400+ pages already :)

How are owners finding the reliability, particularly on the 1st models?

Mechanic mate of mine is saying that anecdotally hes heard of 'lots of issues', wasnt specific about this though. I know the software was (maybe still is?) a problem but are there any other red flags on the 1st models?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

The only issues really were the software issues which have been resolved now. We all want to see further improvements in the software but it doesnt equate to bad reliability of the car.

There will be a few examples here and there of other faults but the car is as reliable as any other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,035 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Advertisement

Dealers put a huge markup on second hand cars, so that customers think they are getting a great deal when they are offered 2 or 3K more than they reckon their old car is worth when trading up. Or the classic 2K scrappage allowance.🙂

But I think dealers are price gouging at the moment..

What's even more amazing is the money your banger is making these days,just look and see what a grand will buy you at the minute vs 12 mts ago.

the sooner the better the VAT rebate comes through for the NI used dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,391 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Red flags:

comfort / roomy

pleasure to drive

good acceleration

ACC, bendy lights, auto dim

etc

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I thought the 1st editions had heated windscreen washers? Had the car heated but when I pressed to wash the windscreen a few miles later, nowt.

Worked fine later when thawed out.

If the infrastructure was good enough and I didn't have to p1ss about with access cards and apps I might take the id.3 to the UK, then again, the outlander can haul a lot more luggage so would probably take that barge anyway, but the more space we have the more herself wants to bring. 😁

The range on the 77 Kwh is good and even better if driven a lot more economical than I drive but the charging speed/power really lets it down, for a big battery car VW really have charging current crippled. I hope they fix this soon but I expect v3 of the software won't be rolled out until the end of next year to existing cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭jogdish

The range thing is still doing my head in, got in this morning said 269km, drove 96km and says 134km - charged at work. By my estimates would have made it back just about.

I know it was very windy and wet on the motorway, does that really knock a chuck out of the range, last week I got to destination with 180km, same starting and was colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭bodgerfederer

wet and windy and motorway - yep, it takes a chunk.

is that 269km range at 80% or 100% of the battery?

Yeah I've never trusted the GOM on any car. Can't wait until they start displaying the battery percentage in 3.0

• Advertisement

There's no totally accurate way of displaying range, too many variables. But you do often see the range going up as well, for example when the temperature increases during the day or you turn down/off the heater.

All cars show it slightly differently, FWIW I thought my previous ID.3 was quite good. I paid more attention to battery %, for my mainly non motorway driving I allowed 3km per % in colder weather and 4km per % in summer.

My new Tesla Model 3 shows range on main screen or app from what I understand as EPA range. For example yesterday morning showed 444km full, today shows 320 after about 100 km driving. However if you look at another screen it shows a totally different range based on your last 10km, 25km or 50km driven. It may be significantly less than what's shown on main screen and if you are driving carefully it may show more.

Advertisement