Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Registered Users Posts: 13,648 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

A nuclear war with NATO would be thousand times worse than whats happening now - it would probaly lead to the end of Europe, is comprimise not a better solution ?

if Russia had not such nuclear backup, I would agree with all the military intervention, but the sad reality is they do. nightmare scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

PBP aren't the entire modern left any more than the Ultra-right wingers on here defending Putin represent everyone on the modern right. I'd stow away the brush and tar. The majority of people, regardless of the political divide see Russia as the aggressor here. So cut the point-scoring bullshit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

As I said it's an ultimatum to leave Ukraine within a specified time period 3 to 4 days and an immediate cessation of hostilities. Go back to your lands and there will be no attack. If you stay we will force you out. I think all Putins inner circle would jump at the chance to get out of this quagmire. If Putin disagrees then they'll need to deal with him. I doubt very many would be willing to put their lives and that of their extended families on the line for a guy who'll probably be dead in 18months anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

Eventually those Migs will have to land somewhere and i really doubt they’ll be parked outside Ukraine.

it’ll really take a couple of kalibrs to destroy them

we saw what happened with that airfield today.

I don’t think they’ll make a difference, except for a single use kamikaze operation on that convoy outside of Kyiv

They also have the bayraktar tb2 drones,

Turkey announced a new shipment en route few days ago but i believe Russia managed to counter them.

imo Ukraine’s best chance at this point is to make sure Kyiv remains standing and drag them in for some hellish urban warfare let them regret the day they were born.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Poor, poor Russia. Why can't the whole world just stay out of it, and leave Russia alone with Ukraine so it can kick the sh*t out of Ukraine in peace in their illegal, unfounded and unjust invasion? Weh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭arthursway

Do you think Russia has s400's protecting that convoy or what do you think is protecting them from aerial threats?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Ah cheerful, drop the mask a bit more it doesn't suit you. That line about "Be great it was 1939, and bring in western troops to help." Usually more of a reader than a poster, but when did you ever want "western imperialist troops" appearing anywhere?

Maybe in coffins I suppose, especially if American, preferably by dint of some wonder weapon of your favourite wise global leaders like Putin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Talisman

I wouldn't consider myself to be a military expert but as far as I know the Russians stopped building tanks in the early 2000s when production of the T-90 moved to India. The Russian defense budget then began to be spent on modernising the existing tank inventory while military contractors were tasked with the development of a next generation tank.

The Russian tanks that were used in the initial invasion of Ukraine date from the 1970s and 1980s. I'm specifically talking about the likes of the T-72 and T-80 battle tanks, over the years they have been modernised to use heavier armor and improved weaponry. In the Gulf War, those tanks were shown to be outdated relative to U.S. M1 Abrams which began production in 1979. The T-90 was produced afterwards. In the Chechen War, all of the Russian battle tanks proved to be death traps in urban warfare and a new tank model was required.

The T-14 Armata is the 'next generation' tank and we haven't seen any footage of it in Ukraine. It first made an appearance in the 2015 Victory Day parade and only a handful of them have been seen over the years. In 2016, it was claimed that the tank was in full production but only 7 of them have ever been seen at one time at a Victory Day parade.

It has been speculated that the T-14 was a piece of propaganda and that Russia didn't have the financial resources to order sufficient numbers for the manufacturer to put it into full time production and instead opted for the cheaper option of upgrading the older tanks.

Most serious defense analysts who study the Russian military, including Michael Kofman at the Center for Naval Analyses, have long dismissed claims that Moscow would build 2,300 T-14 tanks by 2020 as ridiculous. Russian has neither the production capacity nor the financial wherewithal to build that many of the expensive new tanks that quickly. Even if the Russians build 120 tanks per year, it would take about two decades build that many machines.

It's possible that there are thousands of tanks mothballed in underground facilities in Siberia but the issue is likely to be whether there are personnel available to operate and support them. Fuel consumption is another issue - they are not known for their fuel efficiency and the T-80 tank in particular is reported to consume fuel at the same rate whether it is on the move or the engine is idling.

There were reports of the T-14 being deployed in Syria and that in a battle with insurgents one was destroyed and two others badly damaged but there was never any footage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,097 ✭✭✭threeball

Put the airstrip right on the border (unpopulated area). The Russians better be damn sure that all there missiles land where they aim

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Yes, but my question still stands " what do the Ukrainians think of that idea?" After all, its their Country. Now there are rumors going the rounds about Putin being a terminal cancer case, also plans by one of the military top brass to "retire" him...so no one really knows what will happen. But for sure, there is no guarantee in the wide world that Putin will NOT press the nuclear button. He could decide that as he is going anyway, he will take the world with him...

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Russia have taken unilateral action in invading a sovereign state, it's been condemned by the vast majority of states in the UN. It's not straightforward like taking sides in a dispute, Russia have carried out an unjustified act of aggression and other nations have valid reasons for showing support to the violated state. There are no sanctions on Ukraine so there is no valid reason to object to the continued sale of arms to it, other than it makes the illegal invasion more costly. The system is working normally.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Ukraine still have planes flying sorties, they obviously have places for the planes to land, refuel and rearm.

You make it sound like every single Ukrainian plane and runway is destroyed and they would be used for kamikaze missions ffs.

If the Ukrainians continue flying jets at tree top level they will make it very hard to track and launch SAM defences against them, unlike the fate of Russian helicopters.

Despite the pathetic attempt on here earlier to label me as a troll or a bot, I do genuinely care about the millions of Ukrainian refugees who will be coming to Europe, but I have genuine concerns about how we will be able to accommodate according to some estimates over 100,000 I don't think it's fair to invite people in only to have to shove them in hotels and most likely holiday homes isolated out in the countryside, we don't even have a proper functioning health service with our current population. I dread to think what it will be like once we add 2% to our population.

This current crisis has been flagged by foreign policy experts for years Russia will never allow Ukraine to be part of NATO People on here and wider society need to learn to accept that fact from what I understand, Russia see the possibility of Ukraine joining NATO as an existential threat to their national security this is something that we need to learn to accept. The best way out of this crisis than I see is compromising with Russia. Agree that NATO will never expand into Ukraine and it will be a neutral country.

But unfortunately, people here in the West appear to be whipped into hysteria by our media and completely unwilling to compromise with Putin and his government because he is like the literal reembodiment of Hitler or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Ukraine had nuclear weapons and gave them up on an assurance from Russia it would recognise it's sovereignty and guarantee it's security. Ukraine gave them up in good faith. Would you agree that was a mistake and that Russia has acted in bad faith and can't be trusted?

What are these lethal weapons the west gave Ukraine that threaten a nuclear state, and why are they worse than the hundreds of nukes in missile tubes in nuclear submarines that can wipe out Russia from almost anywhere? Horseshit.

The problem with that analysis is that it is wrong. Ukraine had made their intention to eventually join NATO known in the mid 1990s. Russia has already invaded Crimea and has been stoking a revolution in Ukraine for nearly a decade. The idea that Russia only wants to live in peace with its neighbours and it's NATO that is the big threat is ludicrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭josip

The MIG-29 is an air superiority fighter and I'm not sure what role it can play if the Russians aren't flying.

The promised Su-25s are ground attack and they would be very useful, as long as they can avoid the Russian SAMs.

If the Su-25s are loaned then the Migs might be needed to keep them safe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

We had a population increase of 2.9% in 2007, so it's not something new to us. Maybe ask those people feeling for their lives, living for days under constant bombing if they would rather a quiet little holiday home out in the west of Ireland or stay put?

Comprise with Putin.... it was the lack of action back in 2014 which contributed to this war. You can't appease a dictator because we'll be having the same discussions in years to come when he invades another country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Macron and Scholz went to Moscow to "compromise with Putin". The creep was stringing them along and had already decided to invade Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Are you kidding me, they would happily destroy their own people to achieve their agenda, it means nothing to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Hey bill; Poland has taken in 885,300 Ukrainian refugess - which is equivalent to 2.34% of it's population. Ireland has taken in a number that amount to 0.025% of it's population. Do you still feel so smug?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

You need to keep in mind that people in this part of the world are always used to get things their way, hence why they don’t really understand how the world really functions.

what is happening with Russia is a precedent for them.

give them time.

—-

concerning Putin,

i think his objective is to simply destroy the military infrastructure of Ukraine,

take kiev and take out their government

then move all his troops to the south and occupy the whole black sea shoreline.

what saddens me is that the whole thing could’ve been solved with proper diplomacy but nobody really cared

the goal right now is to make sure to deliver as much blows as possible to the Russians making sure the price will be heavy not for occupying Ukraine but for challenging Nato/west at their game.

we’re entering a new Era.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭josip

If you look up the definition of cúnt in the Oxford dictionary you'll find his picture. We should send that silver-spooned fúcker off to the Donbass for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

There will be no peace in Ukraine. They will be shelling each other for 20 years. The Ukrainians will never accept loss of access to the black sea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement