Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭nklc

Maybe tommy will get his chance next game . Anyway, Brian Mc was tried at fullback for Loughmore and it failed. Was played at fullback for Tipp U20 All Ireland win and struggled badly all games except the final wher bizarrely Cork put a big slowish player on him . Tipp players were passed out running for ball. I think Bonnar is going to loose the dressing room if he persists on shackling Tipp hurlers because he’s loosing the support from the stands already

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 682 ✭✭✭farmerval

Cadell seems bizarrely to be regularly taken off when many around him seem to be playing much worse.

My problem with last night was more the inaction on the line as to how we were trying to play. the passes we were playing in defence we slow and without purpose. Against Kilkenny we were passing through the lines and using short passing to drive up the field. Last night we were playing slow passes across the laterally, often while we were slowly passing sideways the Dublin team had retreated into their defensive shape.

Last nights team is far from our best team but it would be nice to see a shape to how the team will shape up for the championship.

For my money Seamus Kennedy is not a centre back, he's ponderous in possession and very poor to turn and get back. He's good enough for right half back, but why have him centre back for three games?

Jason Forde last night was completely anonymous, I know they changed his position later on but management looked at him not touching the ball and the Dublin centre back leaning up on our aimless long ball.

The league is only the league and no one knows what kind of training is going on. The piece that worries me most is the way that the new management team started with the same template from the last management team. e.g. Michael Breen and Alan Flynn are well proven as a poor midfield, but we started them in the league. It feels like we have not used the first few games as well as we could have.

Question for people at the game, which sides were our corner backs on? Was Connolly number 2 or 4? Whoever was 4, be it Connolly or Morgan they go well cleaned out in the first half under a lot of high ball.

I find it bizarre that Ronan is not centre back at all times, our biggest personality on the field, the most defiant when we need it and he can be marooned on the wing and less involved in the play than he could possibly be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Looks Bonnar is saying there are going to be a lot of changes against Waterford as well.

It was a one point defeat against Dublin. You'd swear we were eaten alive by the way some people are going on.

The slow nature of the buildup play is due to the newness of the game plan - only games and training will help the players to thrive in the game plan. With championship so close, the necessity of trying to find new players doesn't help to find a settled team and a pattern of play - that's a concern. What can Bonnar do? Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.

Breen was in the forwards. And Flynn has been dropping into center back with Kennedy as a sweeper. Sometimes, late in games, Flynn has gone to midfield with Cadell going sweeper and Kennedy going 6 or some variation on that.

Flynn and Breen ain't it for me at the moment. And need dropping. Quality subs to have if they can make an impact with their running.

Connolly was 4. Wasn't too bad? What did he concede 1-1. There have been an awful lot of worse full debuts.

Ronan on the wing is not for me. Either Cadell or Ronan at Center back for me (and switching between both for me- covering each other might work best). Cadell knows this system - they play this kind of hurling at Brackens - andrew ormonde might have been held onto for a look beyond the winter hurling he was exposed to... since he is used to such a system.

Paul Flynn not doing it imo - doesn't have the pace required - clever enough to get out in front of his man, but the end product is not what it should be. I know Paddy Creedon's form left him during the latter stages of the club championship but is there a better inside man with the pace to get out to corners and wings and win ball in the air and ground? I think he is worth this year's investment for the future rather than Denis Maher. Denis deserved his chance, but he doesn't have the pace.

Could be looking at a championship team like this - we need a deep lying midfield - couldn't get them deep enough to be honest until this side gets some confidence. A man for the future that might have the speed, presence, and physicality for full back is Quirke but he can be wild with the hurl and takes chances - won't have enough time to learn the role now for this year anyway:

1. Barry Hogan

2.Barrett   4. Quigley    3. Morgan

5. Cadell

7. Kennedy 6. Ronan Maher  8. Heffernan 

9. Dan McCormack 10. Quirke   

11. Morris    12.Forde    13. John McGrath 

14. Callanan 15. Keogh

This is more like it, but Breen can consider himself very lucky.

Is that Gearoid O'Connor's first time on the bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,088 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Waterford will just try to run us off the field so that full back line will be under serious pressure for pace. Surprised Morgan isn't getting a look in there. Nice to see Ronan back at 6 but not sure Robert Byrne is good enough at this level. Heffernan is an interesting one but I think he has the game for the modern wing back.

Hopefully the likes of Cadell, Kehoe and Bowe can step up and show that they're good enough consistently.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

That team is much closer to the team we should be seeing in the Munster Championship but it doesn't look great.

Definitely a better looking team than last week.

Ronan to six is a help. Wing forward is better for Ml Breen. Would prefer Heffernan at wing back, his ability to burst forward into space and score is great, also with Ronan he forms a great barrier under any long ball.

Mark Kehoe needs to step up. This will be his fourth year on the panel.

I'd imagine Breen will drop back to midfield and one of the listed midfielders will play sweeper...

We haven't played up front with 6 this year - hence the lack of goals.

Byrne is industrious, and gets on the ball and makes his presence known, and could possibly play midfield too. I think the yellow he got, just after he got the two points last week, really affected his game. Suddenly, he had visions of being sent off again, like last year. And that cost him his year. And he took no risks after that.

I've no real interest in a performance in relation to the result tomorrow - good, bad, or shite. I'd like to see a deeper understanding of the team dynamics in terms of picking the right personnel in relation to the right tactics and younger players grabbing a shirt.

A win tomorrow is utterly useless and pointless - won't count for a thing if we lose the first game of the Munster championship. Not a thing. And there's a serious danger we might make a semi or final of the league. I think that would be disastrous. A final, two weeks out from the start of the munster madness, a load of energy sapping, injury-inducing games in a row. No. Far from ideal.

Whereas I'd be the opposite, win would be huge for confidence and winning is a habit. I'd love for us to win the league mainly as it's been far too long since we've won one and I think this team needs more games to start to gel. All ireland is probably beyond us and we're going to have some battle to even get out of Munster so some silverware for the season would be nice.

Also Waterford almost never lose is Walsh Park, I don't think Cahill has lost a game down there so would be nice to turn them over and sow a few seeds of doubt before the championship especially as we're back down there in a few weeks in championship.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement

Seamus Callanan broke a bone in his hand training on Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Much better than last week vs Dublin imo. Brian McGrath struggling on Bennett at corner back imo. Waterford just seem that much sharper with their touch and getting on the breaking ball. Morris and Kehoe very good.

Nice to see Kehoe and Bowe looking good so far, decent performance poor in midfield and Brian McGrath just isn't a corner back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Brian McGrath has too much hurling for the full back line.

You'd have to be happy with that half of hurling. Much better than the rest of the season.

Yeah, not sure what Bonnars thinking is for that selection, Morgan is our leading cadidate for left back atm, and he hasn't a wealth of experience either. Brian would be better in the half back line

Brian McGrath might solve our midfield issue.

We'll learn a lot about the angle of this field and the wind here.

A lot of players have missed from the same angle - strong tailing wind out there.

Did Forde just go over with no one around him? That's his season? That's our year gone if it's him.

Ref letting Waterford away with a hell of a lot.

Ref giving a hell of a lot to Waterford this half in frees. Pulled us on a lot I felt.

Think it was Bowe not Forde who went off. Could have been tighter down the home straight had we not missed so many chances - tbf the wind seems to be having a major effect on our shooting. Waterford are naturally more used to it.

Would put Forde in at full forward vs out in half back line. His best performances have come there.

Disappointing we didn't score for over half the 2nd half. We also didn't threaten their goal. We need to cut out very basic handling errors, we've given away a lot of scores this way so far this league.

We will win nothing under this setup.

We have been absolutely dire in every single game to date.

A manager who was sniffing around the job 20 years ago (TWENTY YEARS?!) given it when he couldn't be any further past it. Clownshow county board.

• Advertisement

At first I thought taking off John McGrath was to take the sting out of it and bring on Denis Maher. John did a great job of at least fighting to hold the ball up at times. But just had a horrible thought that maybe they think Denis Maher is good enough... and would make a difference. Clearly not a player at this level.

Taking off Cadell. I'm not sure about - could have at least given him ten minutes or seen him somewhere else for a while. They could have eroded what little confidence he has left at this stage. Alan Flynn certainly isn't the answer. Flynn was added to the bench because Seamie got injured. But then Flynn is first sub on. Very strange.

But I have to say, I'm glad this league is nearly over for Tipp. And they get to concentrate on getting right for the munster championship first round. That game means everything now. The whole season is dependent on it.

You don't want to show your hand at this stage - But I'm genuinely wondering if they know these players's best positions.

You'd have to be on drugs if you think we have any hope going back down there in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tooka

At game today and have been at all the games bar Laois and tipp are in a very bad place

if we don’t finish bottom of the Munster league I will be very surprised

too many average players, the reality is we needed Cahill but it did not work out

A) Attitude going down the finish was bad.

B) Lack of goals is an issue. Not even producing that many chances.

Biggest part of the problem is too many players are not equipped for the game we want to play , they are not physical enough nor have the skills

Byrne, quirke, quigley, Brian McGrath and cadell were especially poor in that regard

I think we have structural problems too. Ronan to 6 was a big help today. I thought we missed Heffernan from defence, even though it was worth trying him in midfield.

I reckon our three half forwards who scored so much from play hardly won 6 more balls between them. This is a huge issue for us, consistently our half forward line is invisible when long ball goes up to them and consistently this gets worse as games go on. I don't think we can leave Forde at 11, he's simply not involved enough in the game. I would have brought John MGrath to centre forward in the second half, even playing poorly he would at least fight to keep the ball around there instead of Waterford sweeping out so easily with the ball.

Waterford's touch was well ahead of ours, Dillon Quirke must have lost 4 or 5 balls through poor touch whereas all the Waterford players looked sharper. I almost feel sorry for Alan Flynn, in my eyes he's not good enough, but if he is it's definitely not in midfield, maybe corner back or wingback, I don't know. It must be disappointing for him that he's not getting a go when there's obviously space for defenders.

I was only watching on Tele, but what was the story with our forwards in the second half, the backs came out with a good amount of ball but seemed to have no options to play it forward, Jake Morris and Kehoe after great first halves hardly saw the ball in the second half.

Tipp had a good start but Waterford simply turned the screw, tipps movement can be shocking at times

bonnar has given many players a real chance in this league and he is trying to make them play the new way.

but sheedy should have started this in 2020 and the fact he did not means bonnar basically has to build a new tipp team from scratch AND get them playing an alien game plan

What team would start the next day out or the first round of Munster championship?

1. Barry Hogan

2.Barrett     4. Quigley      3. Morgan

5. Dan McCormack

7. Kennedy 6. Ronan Maher  8. Heffernan

9. Brian mcgrath 10. Noel McGrath    

11. Breen     12.John mcgrath   13. Kehoe

14. Forde         15. Morris

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ian OB

Is that a sweeper system or odd spacing/typing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Bonner is a wily old fox. Watching more than one of his wit teams they lost all matches early in the year and when it mattered the won and then went on runs of winning all the way to win the Fitz. I wouldn't write this year off yet for tipp as so many posters already are.

Advertisement