Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

It seems that those born in Ireland after 2000 are the primary group of poor folk already complaining about how the sanctions will affect us and thus will result in less support for the war.

Grow a bloody spine. Those of us that have lived in this country through the 70's and 80''s, never mind the decades earlier, will tell you that any affect that supporting Ukraine has is nothing compared to living in Ireland in the decades mentioned. Even during the Emergency, people just shut up and got on with it, or joined the fighting in Europe.

The Woke Generation will suddenly realise that, when the harsh reality of life hits, LGBQRST +1, Cancel Culture and Vegan 1/2 Caff decaff, don't really matter anymore.

I don't think there are too many vegetarians wondering around Southern Ukraine wondering where they can get their Oat Milk from, lol,

(* my pseudo vegetarian teenage daughter has my head wrecked today, so I need to rant. I hope to Christ they bomb the Oat Milk factory. Oat Milk? FFS....)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭Mecanudo

According to news reports this morning

The Russian military will hold fire and open humanitarian corridors in several Ukrainian cities, including Kyiv and Mariupol, at 10am Moscow time (7am UK) today, according to reports.

The corridors, which will also be opened from the cities of Kharkiv and Sumy, are being set up at the personal request of French President Emmanuel Macron, the Interfax news agency cited Russia's defence ministry as saying.

The ministry added that those who leave Kyiv will then be airlifted to Russia and that drones will be used to monitor the evacuation.

Going by past performance the Russians certainly  cannot be trusted to hold to promises regarding ceasefire and evacuation.  But perhaps even more worryingly, the Russians are claiming that those fleeing will be airlifted to Russia. 

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

Is Maith an t-anlann é an t-ocras….

People born post-2000 will have very little say

I saw the point made that Putin is using the language of the ‘woke’ saying they are going after Nazis. His stated mission is to de-nazify Ukraine etc.. is of course a load of hogwash. This is the kind of thing that people buy into hook line and sinker without doing much research of their own. Any dissent against this propaganda can then easily be labelled as offering support for nazis when of course it’s nothing of the sort.

• Advertisement

Report from the Kyiv Independent on Russian attacks around Irpin Close to the Capital Kyiv

• Registered Users Posts: 6,680 ✭✭✭eire4

I am with you there. If an EU defense force is one of the outcomes of this I would be very much in favour of Ireland ending our neutrality and being part of said force. Obviously its not like we would make much difference being so small. But we do have a strategic location so we certainly could provide for both air and naval base locations in Ireland. Plus we ourselves could upgrade our military but in a more niche way maybe with a naval focus given we are an island.

According to Putins latest dictate Russia will stop the war special military operation only if Ukraine surrenders and that Russia is ready to negotiate after “all known Russian demands are met"

So that means there will be no negotiation at all then?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Notmything

And the planes flying weapons and supplies to Ukraine.

Nevermind the planes ferrying refugees out of the warzone.

Unless it's a special type of volcanic eruption that only affects the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Irish_wolf

Likewise. A month ago I would have been clearly on the "No EU Army" Side of the fence. Now I'm firmly on that fence in that regard but not convinced, yet. What I am convinced of is that we need to seriously increase our defense spending. It's not fair to expect the US and UK to pick up the slack just because we want to maintain an image. Time to get real and Russia is a big wake up call. Lot's of Polish "I told ya so's" coming at us let's not make the mistake of ignoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Smug, to me anyway, would be linked with the assumption of being right and proven to be. This prick isn't, along with the rest of the hard left (the 1 percenters) they offer absolutely nothing useful to the debate or society in general other than unicorn solutions

His picture is firmly stuck on to the definition of cnut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Wonder what the surprise will be (assuming there is one)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Boyd Barrett was told to clear off last week by the Ukrianian protesters. He doesn't see any future potential votes from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,184 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Sure. If they had a Russian aligned neighbour, they might not be able toninvade. They would definitely change regime though, democratically elected or not. And if the US had 5 or 6 Russian aligned neighbours, Then the military zeal you say has evaporated, would reappear (it never would have evaporated if they had all those hostile neighbours in the first place).

You seem to be thinking all this stuff is 20 years in the past bu Venezuela is a very recent regime change supported by the US. Venezuela isn't even a neighbour, its just within the same larger continent and they still toppled the government.

None of that is relevant to condemn what Russia is doing (won't Putin be furious to find out that we both co dendem his behaviour)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Ah, stop (not really, it's just very concerning). Oil prices on the rise too. Commodities in general. The global economy is fooked, IMO.. so much so that the only thing that might save it by providing a boost to manufacturing, shortening supply chains, and addressing labor shortages is global debt forgiveness and/or (and I hate saying this), in Europe and the US at least, a transition to a war time economy which will refocus efforts on essentials such as non-tat manufacturing and agriculture.

I don't know what the current trajectory of events means for the dollar's reserve status either if these sanctions push Russia and China to develop viable alternatives. So much debt around, so much QE that it feels like some pillar of the financial order we've grown accustomed to has to crack. I hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

NATO and particularly the US, would wet themselves if they got a base in Ireland, especially on the West Coast.

BA trained Concorde pilots out of Shannon for a good reason - thousands of miles of open water for the sub-sonic to Supersonic transition.

Plus, Ireland is one of the most strategic, geographically speaking, countries in Europe.

Could you imagine a Red Flag being staged out of Shannon...

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭jolivmmx

But all very reasonable in the eyes of Clare Daly, Mick Wallace et Al 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Hahahahaha .. no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,670 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

When is your slot on GB news?

This is honestly like some Nigel Farage rant that the fat dad's down the golf club love.

Now tell us how you fought in world wars (but you didn't) and oh blame migrants for everything, taking the jobs etc. Give me a "woke" young person any day over some stale old fart talking about "in my day".

The primary people protesting in Russia also seem to be predominantly young as well, but you missed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,670 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

A truly cutting come back how will I cope... Farage has moved on to Net Zero for his latest crusade/desperate populist grab, maybe you could fascinate and entertain your mates with that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's Russia, a coup/putsch is always rumbling away somewhere even if it's only in people's heads. It won't be the first nor the last of these rumours but it is by far the cleanest solution to end this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭Field east

Ehether we are in NATO or not does not matter a hoot , WHY? The main adversary , going forward/in the long/very long term, is Russia/USSR. Throw in China and North Korea if you want. If any of them wanted to attack Ireland it can VERY EASILY done very remotely eg pushing the button for on or two nuclear warheads would do it - the country is so small. A cyber attack might also do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

This was expected and less likely to be a huge issue as we head into warmer weather but EU countries will need to get alternatives in place by next autumn.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Can confirm. At least with the ones I know I've talked to so far. And they're sharing their side on their social media groups just as much as Westerners are. Though with noticeable differences; by comparison they've only a few talking points endlessly repeated and ask no obvious questions and brook no questions either. Yeah you get people on Ukraines side going on about Putin bots, but genuine questions are raised and responded to. The Russian side of things seems to consist of requoting Russian TV talking heads and pointing to useful idiots in the west(like that US retired trumpist general) and an obsession with nazis in Ukraine and Soviet history and old glories.

My biggest takeaway down the years chatting with Russians - and this of course is a crass generalisation - is they're simply not used to asking questions. In the West for generations we've been used to being exposed to different opinions. We may have chosen to ignore them, or be too engrained/stupid to look at them, or even shout them down, like in good oul catholic Ireland, but we were exposed to them nonetheless. There was and is a constant fight for narrative. The Russian people really haven't been. It's nearly always been just one narrative. They might question that narrative, but it was the only one they had to go on. Not unlike elections in the Soviet Union. They had democracy and could be vocal and active within it too, but there was only one party to vote for, merely different candidates.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Actually, this is prime example of what I am talking about. Over-privileged, easily offended and thin skinned, with little grasp of what it is like to be oppressed, destitute and willing to put your life on the line in order to save your family.

As many here are aware, I spent a lot of time in Syria ( among other places), during the Arab Spring and afterwards while the Russians decided to level Aleppo. I also worked on the border with Jordan, so don't even think about lecturing me about immigrants.

You're exactly the type of person I'd love to frog-march through the absolute destitution, misery and fear that is Syria today. You'd stand there with your mouth open. Sure, we had some over-enthuiastic college students over to help. Do you know what we did with them? Sent them home, because it was all about them and a selfie beside a bombed out BMP or house.

Also, you do realise this post is Irish Based? The "GB news, Nigel Farage and both world wars" arguments fall a little flat on Irish ears. Most posters on this forum are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭brickster69

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement