Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boiler/Heating System - Zero Knowledge - Help

Options
  • 03-03-2022 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi

First of all apologies for the general topic.

Our 30 year old boiler is on the way out and with energy prices going the way they are, we feel now would be a good time to upgrade.

Ideally, a whole new heating system is needed but we probably don't have a huge budget - around 4k.

I'd love solar panels but feel they are outside our budget.

After researching grants, I think there may be a couple available to us, around €700 but nothing that will do us any real good.

Our house is around a D BER rating (was D2 then added new windows).

Where do I start?

I've been recommended an oil boiler and just have no real clue what to do or where to start.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

You need to give us a bit more information on your current set up.

What size is your house? Is the current boiler on oil, Natural gas, LPG or is it a combi? Copper or gun barrel piping? Hot water cylinder - insulated or lining jacket? Any Thermostatic Radiator Valves fitted to rads or is it just standard manual valves.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭andybookie

Thanks @shane b

Semi detached 105sqm.

Natural gas.

There's a hot water cylinder in the hot press with a jacket in the hot press.

And standard manual valves.

I'm not sure of piping - the house was built in 92 if that helps?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

If your on natural gas already, id stick with it. I doubt if kerosene is going to be much cheaper plus you need buy a bunded tank and get it connected to an external boiler. A house bulit in the 90's should be piped with copper, gun barrrel would be for house of a different decade.

I would look at replacing the cylinder with a factory insulated one and fit some Thermostatic Radiator Valves.

As you have gas you will be restricted to a Registered Gas Installer (RGI). I dont know how up to date these prices are considering how prices have risen in the last year but the website below gives you a ball park. If you check your current boiler you should be able to determine what size in KW it is. Its usually on the name plate or sticker under the cover somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

I agree. Oil might be a little cheaper to run, but the difference wouldn't justify the installation cost of the tank etc. NB an oil boiler doesn't have to be external but they are generally bigger than equivalent gas boilers.

You could also look for some "easy" wins in improved insulation/draught proofing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

I know your question was about upgrading heating system, but as part of that you should take an overall look at heat usage, which would include insulation and that.

House built in 92 I would think should be cavity walls could look at getting those pumped with insulation, grant available for that. How much insulation do you have in attic, grant available for that also or easy enough diy job.

If you have gas may as well stick with it, the likes of heat pump is well out of your budget and a house with your BER wouldn't be suitable anyway.

Solar panels, I think these days solar thermal isn't really as viable as solar electric and it doesn't give as good a payback. With your budget I wouldn't worry about it for the moment anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭slystallone

Anyne know what cost i'd be looking at for cleaning up this mess?

Advertisement