Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Heritage

Options
  • 18-01-2022 4:10pm

Haven't played here in a while. Really like it. How is the condition at the moment? Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I'd genuinely have The Heritage as one of my favourite courses in Ireland

Played there in October (where my home course was soft) and it was in serious nick. Obviously I haven't played the last couple of months so can't speak for bunkers etc, but it really was in prime condition when I played there last.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭blue note

Heading here on Saturday and looking forward to it!

Can you submit scores for handicap purposes here at the moment? I'd love to shave another bit off it if I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

How much did you get cut at the Links. Must have been an ESR?

You can if it is qualifying and there is another GUI registered player to attest your score in your group

Just cut 2.2, no esr. I don't find you come down all that quickly with whs. Under the old system I'd probably have lost 10*.3 shots. I knocked another .3 off from my following round there.

My real problem is that I find my home course the most difficult and it's rated as possibly the easiest in the country. I've 8 away rounds in my last 20 with 6 counting. And 2 counting from my 12 home rounds. A decent round at the weekend will knock another home one out.

I don't know if it's a common problem in my course though or if I'm an outlier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭swededmonkey

I struggled on my home course last year and left as a result. It didn't suit my game. Any time I came close to or breaking 36 points last year was mostly on away courses

Ah, I'll probably stay where I am for a year or two longer at least. I want to learn how to play it. A lower ball flight and not mishitting the non full shots would make a huge difference to my ability. Ultimately I'm hoping to be a better golfer at the end of it.

I do miss hitting my driver though. And you can tell some days on other courses that I'm not hitting if often. Those days the majority of my drives could go way right, but I don't want to stop hitting it because it's a rare chance to practice with it.

Thankfully there was placing everywhere so I couldn't submit it. Because I played utter crap. 6 balls lost on the first 6 holes. I actually settled down score wise after that and played okay for the last twelve. But my driving was desperate - big dirty slices all day long. And putting was fairly awful too - 4 three putts. All on holes where I'd reached the green in regulation / a par 5 in 2. I don't know does that make them better or worse.

It's a very nice course though. Incredibly open - you can go a long way right and still find your ball in play. I didn't check out the left side of holes. We were off the greens which was probably the right call at this time of year, although I would have rathered the whites. The tee on the index 1 was on the ladies tee box - that's a bit disappointing. The par 3s were still a good length though. I hit a 5 iron into the last. The whites were a good bit behind us - I'd say if you'd a wind into you from them it would be a very very long hole. From the blues it would probably be a par 4 for many.

I'd definitely go back. But maybe in summer when it would be a bit dryer and the whites would be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭dk1982

Nah, you're not on your own there. me and my mates, the majority of our counting scores are from away rounds. good rounds are hard to come by in Corballis and when you do have one you don't get rewarded for it given the ridiculously low slope rating.

For the shorter hitters (generally older golfers) Corballis probably is as relatively easy as it's rating suggests. And remember, the majority of golfers fit into this bracket. I hear there's a member in our place playing off 8 or so who is 83. That's incredible regardless of the course. I do wonder though if he'd be able to maintain that handicap playing off the whites in the Heritage every Sunday.

But on days where I come in from Corballis feeling I've played really well I'd be lucky to have a score differential of 16, especially from the whites. Whereas on other courses I can come in feeling I played rubbish or threw away a good score and have a score differential of 18. I remember saying it at the time of the new system coming in that if you're rating courses based on criteria like length, bunkers, etc, then a course as unusual as Corballis is going to throw up a strange rating. What they should be looking at now, is a year into it how are people doing on home and away courses. If people are playing better away, their course is probably rated as too easy. I'm actually averaging 6.3 shots better on away courses in my last 20 rounds. And I don't feel I play better on away courses, I just get away missing fairways and greens. So in the heritage I was slicing my drives - they'd mostly be lost balls in Corballis. Whereas I often had a mid-high iron left to the green in the Heritage. There's a two shot swing on about 10 holes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭willabur

I think more than anywhere else I have ever played the penalty for missing short grass with your shot is most severe in Corballis. You can pick your way around it and score quite well if you avoid disasters. But when the disaster hits then you are out of the hole. I was in contention a few weeks back until I got to the 17th, there was a fierce wind coming off the sea and the flag was on the top shelf, I hit a really good 7 iron which bounced left of the flag and onto the heavy rough off the left of the green. I had no shot, had to try a super delicate shot that would lift the ball out of the rough far enough to get onto the green but then hold itself on the shelf. No chanced, played the shot superwell but the wind just took it, off the green to make a 5.

Its such a tough course to pick your way around, esp from the back tees. 3rd hole is one of the toughest in Ireland, the 5th is hard, the 7th tee shot from the back tees is a nightmare. If you survive until the 10th then its usually a handy enough run until the 16th. love it

We have a couple of elderly members that play with us, very short hitters. One has already left and joined elsewhere, the other also intends to leave. Both find it way too difficult there and as with us the majority of their counting scores are from away courses. So I actually dont think that logic stands up either. The course is only "short" because the is so many par 3s, not because the par 4s/5 are notably shorter than par 4s/5s on other courses. nad some of the short par 4s are actually very difficult, 13 and 17 for example.

"and some of the short par 3's are actually very difficult" that should say!

Our par 4s are very short in fairness. 2 and 11 are driveable any day. 7 driveable from the whites. And downwind without a freak drive I think you could reach 5 and 18 as well. That's half the par 4s that you could reach from the tee. 8 and 14 are fairly short too.

I wouldn't call them easy at all. But they're definitely short.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭The Guru 123

Just out of interest would many people try to drive 2,5,7? I'd be familiar with the course but I never even considered trying to drive any of them, just way too risky if you ask me.

11 is on most days just a rescue club to hit the green and it's relatively risk free when you know the line but have driven through the green on 18 before and never found the ball so wouldn't try that again. It's an outrageously good course btw.

I take your point, although I havent ever seen anyone getting near to driving 5 or 18 so its definitely not half the par 4s you could reach from the tee . But as you say none of those are easy, no matter what the age profile of the golfer is. hence why I feel the slope rating is "wrong"

i have seen people try to drive 2 & 7. It never ends well, absolute madness on both tbh as trouble everywhere around both greens. i've never seen anyone try to drive 5 as it's undriveable.

If you're serious about a score I wouldn't be trying to drive anything other than 11. And I take that one on mainly because I hate the lay up area. A blind shot at a distance I hate. And it's always a sandy lie down there and possibly a divot.

I think if the second was later in the round it would be a temptation. But you'd have to land it short and relatively steep. If you run through the green you're in lost ball territory.

I don't understand people taking on 7. If it's downwind you'll have even less green to work with. And you can't be left, right long or short. It's a crazy shot to me.

5 is a long one to drive and you need to be very straight. Again, it's not the play if you're interested in a score.

5 certainly isn't undriveable. I've hardly seen anyone try because it's a stupid shot, but from the few I've seen I've seen a couple come very close. I've been on top of the ledge on 18. If I'd carried an extra couple of yards I'd most likely have run onto the green.

5 is 270m from the blues to the front of the green. Downwind on a summer fairway that's very reachable for a lot of people. From the white 255m, you certainly can't argue that's not makeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

All great reading but its on The Heritage Thread

• Advertisement
Advertisement