Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Ioniq 5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

Thanks for this. Is there a guide in how to install this yourself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭banchang

I looked at this. Spoke with Electric Ireland who I’m with for gas & electricity (I move every year for best rates). They went thru the numbers with me & explained that moving to a day/night rate vs the low all day year 1 new joiner rate I’m on now would be uneconomic overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

How? 🤣It's a warranty, freely given. If there's better warranties elsewhere, the buyer is free to enter into that contract. There's no contract issue here at all...because there's no contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Moreilly

Not my pic, taken from Instagram.... But that is a lot of Ioniq's !!

Mines there. 8 rows from the top, 3rd on the left. Premium plus, cyber grey 👌

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭The Mist

Does anyone know where can I see km per kWh consumption? I've seen people mention that metric but can't find it anywhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭crisco10

1 Month into ownership and a few thoughts from me:

Range/Consumption

• Average consumption over first 1000km has been 20kWh/100km which on exec spec (58KWh) gives real range of 300km. This tallies pretty well with what I've been tracking, e.g. when battery at 50% the GOM has usually said ~150km.
    • This has almost exclusively been short trips (<20mins) around South Dublin, so I'm pretty happy with that. Rarely do we give the car a chance to warm up and it's winter too.

What we don't like

• The boot is a bit shallow for daily use, but if we need it, we can remove the false floor since we keep all the "car" stuff (chargers etc) in the frunk.
    • Yes, the back window needs a wiper. Ours is pretty dirty. But due to the slightly shallow boot, and mirrors for kids, the view is pretty obstructed anyway so wing mirrors are what's used.
    • I would like if the selectable buttons had a wider range of choice for what you assign them to (possibly the most nit picky thing ever)
    • Android Auto is a bit sensitive to cable choice on my phone (works fine with my wife's)

What we Like

• All the EV mod cons (e.g. driver profiles, preheating, the various driver assists)
    • The size, there is so much space internally
    • The flat floor in the back has allowed us to put our 2 rear facing car seats shoulder to shoulder. One behind the passenger, and the other in the middle seat. This means the seat behind the driver is available for use all the time. In a lot of cars, the uneven floor or lack of space means the car seats need to be in a window seat, leaving a sort of redundantly available middle seat when you have 2 in.
    • The boot is shallow but large, we keep 2 buggies in it permanently. One with all the wheels on, the other with some wheels on. And there's still space for bits and bobs in and around them.
    • The bit of floor space in front of the console is loved by my wife, she finally has somewhere to put her handbag.
    • I made a magnetic phone folder for the magnetic pad, which is pretty neat. (nothing high tec, just a few magnets glues to a phone holder)
    • The white colour, it's less flashy and looks better dirty than some of the other colours we've seen around (we are not the kind to wash our car every weekend).

Obviously tonnes more thoughts, but they're some off the top of my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭d0157063

i still see 2021 ? the screenshot looks ok? want to reconfirm before applying the update, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭jspuds

Yes the software downloads the latest version even though the website mentions Nov/Dec 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Gandalphs Brother

Has anyone found significant benefit using the driver profiles utility? Apart from storing the driver seat position on the models which have that feature, I can't see much to get excited about. Or am I missing something?

I checked the manual, but there is no information provided.

Post edited by Gandalphs Brother on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Yes, myself and my wife have a profile each and have adjustesd settings based on each of our preferences. It's better than switching things about every time you get in and switching them back again. Just hit your profile and everything is set the way you like it. I set mine up through User Profile Settings in the app, was handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭podge1979

Has the manual press to open the charge flap stopped working for anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭eagerv

Does it close when you push the button inside? It's the same button that opens it, I see on another forum where some people had problems with the pressure point on the door when opening.

Yeah no issue there, I saw a video of a German guy who stuck something on the inside of the flap as a quick fix. But that'll get to wet and fall off.

I'll add to the snag list for the dealer so far that and Android auto stopped working. I expected a few things like this as first release of the car.

Same problem on mine. I just use the key fob to open it.

Anyone got thoughts on battery charging. I've seen several statements like this:

"It is advisable in general to stay well below 90% as your daily charge limit. Charging above 80% is stressful for lithium-ion batteries. The degradation increases at the higher charge levels, especially above 90%. So, in general, you don’t want to spend much time charged above 90%."

Obviously, if you are planning a long trip then a 100% charge may be necessary, but for daily short trips a max charge of, say, 80% will not be a problem.

I just wonder about the science. Are lithium-ion batteries prone to degradation if constantly charged to 100%, or does the charging system on the Ioniq manage things well enough to avoid such problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭PhilBky

Whatever the science, you have an eight year warranty and, so far, I have not seen any caveats regarding levels of charge, number of charges and how far to let the battery run down before charging, or levels to charge to on a regular basis.

Much of the info seems to be hearsay - which will have some basis in reality.

I’ve not seen anything about battery ‘memory’ which has been a problem with lithium - ion batteries in cameras etc. nor have I seen any information as to measures taken to avoid runaway batteries.

There was a video some weeks ago on You Tube which showed the car up on a ramp. There is some heavyweight crash protection of the battery pack front and back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Big Lar

Took delivery of an Ionic 5 last Monday, set the charge to 100%.

I didn't buy a car with a 380Km range only to do 80% of that.

• Advertisement

It work fine today, there was a frost last night when I was trying to open it wonder had that something to do with the mechanics of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Sargasso

From what I have read DC charging to 100% on a regular basis will damage battery so 80% is recommended. AC charging to 100% is not an issue and ii is recommended that the battery is AC charged to 100% at least once a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I thought it had stopped on mine too but realised it only opens with a manual press when the car is unlocked. I thought it would open with key in my pocket like the doors.

This might be a stupid question but what kind of range should I be seeing when fully charged. I have the 73 kWh battery, but when fully charged it only ever shows me something in the 390 km's of range. Never see it show 480 on the screen or app. How do I check that I actually have the correct battery to begin with, I just realised I never actually checked this anywhere. Just got it last week.

I think that might have solved the mystery 🤭

You'll never get to 480 to be honest WTPL test which it's calculated on tries to mimic real world driving but doesn't really.

The range is also calculated on your previous driving (with heaters etc on) and also cold batteries this time of year deliver less range

To get anywhere near estimated range of 480 would have to reset the "brain" of the car in the dealer, drive in hot conditions and have the driving style of driving miss daisy. 390 isn't too bad to be honest I'm at around 320/330 but I'm kinda fond of sport mode on premium plus (less range than executive or premium)

Did a trial on "efficient" driving yesterday and was getting about 6 km per kWh so that would have been up around 430 km.

Post edited by podge1979 on

Car has developed an annoying rattle at the rear at slow to medium speeds on any bit of rough road- plenty to choose from in Kerry!

Emptied the boot including the cover, base and the under carpet. Checked the rear seats were secure, the seat belts weren’t rattling and the panelling wasn’t loose. Eventually, by pressing the headlining just in front of the tailgate into which the sun roof cover retracts I found the rattle which is something, possibly wiring, bouncing against the underside of the roof. A trip to the dealer is coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭mag

i know theres a lot of 'moving variables' atm :)

but anyone have a steer on what the approx wait time is on ordering a new ioniq5?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

Depends on what spec car you want.

There is a shipment due in April but cars are on boat over at this stage. There might be some Ioniq 5 in certain trim & colours not reserved for customers. Probably best to ring your local dealers & see what's available soon.

A new order now wouldn't be available until June I reckon. Hyundai Ireland seem to get shipment in every 2 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,100 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What does the ioniq 5 compare in size to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭T-Bird

There is a page on the Hyundai website comparing different vehicles. I'm pretty sure that the interior is bigger than any of their big ice SUVs.

• Advertisement

The rattle turned out to be caused by the three plastic studs just in front of the tailgate, which hold the roof lining in place, had worked themselves loose. There is a possibility that they were not properly pushed home and eventually became fully detached or, less likely, all three are faulty. Going to keep an eye on things over the coming days. If there is a fault, new studs will be ordered.

Advertisement