Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

Every new non-EV bought in 2022 will lead to second hand market having one less EV in years to come. People who complain about rich and their EVs are the same people who will be economically ripped off in 2027 when there are no sufficient numbers of used EVs in second hand market.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭breeno

Thanks for the thoughts re the Clare trips folks!

The Tesla is outside our budget unfortunately but plenty to ponder. I'd be worried about charger angst when on what's supposed to be a relaxing trip😂 I'm sure I'd get used to it though.

Is there a school of thought that charger queues are inevitably going to become more of an issue as more and more people dive into EVs in the coming years?

I'm not in a huge rush to change so maybe another year or two might see some new tech delivering further range at a reasonable price point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Manion

Can't speak for all EVs but it's pretty standard on either the charging apps or the EV Navi to see if a station has free charging ports or not. The issue that can often happen is someone blocking a charger. So you'll get a good idea if there is already someone there.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

The worst is that you've been checking every 2 minutes for 20 minutes before arriving at the charger, and then literally as you're pulling in to the location, you see another car just parked up and about to start a charge...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

ecars app/website is broken since November-ish. the color marker on the map means nothing now. You have to dig into the charger and check.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Liam2021

Yes I do this trip Meath to Clare 250km twice a month in an id4. never used a public charger only the granny cable when I get there. Usually I will have 40% charge after the trip. I plug in the granny cable at 5pm and it will be charged to 80% the next day at 12 noon. This will be a little different during winter months but never had an issue yet getting enough charge to come home.

Pm me if you need anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Here's a random thought, say you have solar PV and something like a Zappi to divert excess solar

On a sunny day you might be exporting a lot after charging your car. In that situation, would you start offering charging to other people?

I mean, even when they bring in a FIT it'll be garbage, might as well give it to someone for free and cut out the electricity company

On the other hand, if you were driving around and saw a sign saying "free charging, just plug in" outside someone's house, would you do it?

Incidentally, I'm not giving away free charging, so don't turn up at my house unless you're stuck 😛

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Would never work.

Excess occurs over the course of the full day. It’s hit and miss with cloud coverage and house load.

And the excess may only be 10 kWh over the whole day. That’s like 10% in my car. Add in the hassle now of moving my car for a stranger, having them there all day and they only gain a couple of %!

Yeah fair point. The thought arose because there's 3 PHEVs owned by the neighbours that never get charged.

I was thinking when I get solar I'd be tempted to get an extra long lead and plug them in on sunny days just to save some petrol fumes from going into the atmosphere

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,511 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why would people buy phev but never plug them in?

They should just have bought the ice version of the same vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Yes they should have but a massive % of phev are rarely charged and a large % never charged

Road tax and the VRT rebate that was on PHEVs at the time

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

It only adds about 25-30miles to range on mo st of them so unless your one of those people who used to freewheel down every hill it's really not a big deal.

But they are more expensive and heavier, so not sure why you'd buy one if you never intended to plug it in.

And if we believe the stats out there of the avg distance driven each day by Irish drivers, then a fully charged phev would provide plenty of folks travel for the day, or at least a decent percentage of it.

If you look at any of the secondhand ones for sale you'll notice that they usually have tiny mileage so weren't bought for economy, second car with wee tax

• Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If they've tiny milage then you should be charging every day as it's most likely been used for shop or school runs and possibly a short commute.

Tenner of petrol probably does the week, faffing about with a cable by people who likely call an electrician for a blown light bulb isn't going to happen

Plugging an EV in daily isn't a hassle, to call it faffing around is making it sound like it's some big deal. It's one of the things usually said by those that are anti-EV.

If these cars have tiny mileage, it shows even more that they should have been plugged in daily, and they might have used next to no petrol at all. And considering they all qualified for a free charger only adds to the stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,042 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If you can't plug something in you shouldn't be allowed to be in charge of a couple of tonnes of metal on a public road. It's operating a plug not bloody rocket science.

The car runs fine without charging, they likely bought it for the wee tax. People will happily give a motor dealer thousands extra for a car with wee tax rather than hundreds extra to politicians who'll only waste it on cocaine and rent boys anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

I know of someone who bought a PHEV SUV for the cheap tax, and on the first service the dealer told him he was damaging the battery by not charging it and just driving around on the ICE. He sold it and bought a diesel SUV...

PS: Quick snippet on Ireland's wonderful charging network - drove from Waterford to Dublin the other day, stopped in Knocktopher for a quick charge, because you never know, and was glad I did because I stopped at Kilcullen to find one rapid charger Offline, and the other one occupied by a Hyundai which had been charging for nearly 2 hours (obviously some people don't care about the overstay charges). I drove on and charged a bit at Ionity on the N7 (could have got to Dublin without recharging any further, but the house I was going to doesn't have a charger, and I didn't want to arrive at 10% charge and then spend 20 hours with a granny cable out the window in these temperatures). Arrived at an AC charger near the destination house, to find it occupied by two EVs, charging since 09:20 and 11:00 (it was 15:00hrs). Set a "tell me when this point becomes available" on the eCars app, and went back when it dinged about an hour later. Can't wait to see how things look in a few years when EV sales have left the charging rollout even further behind...

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

Charging network is a total joke and one dreads to think as more people buy ev…………

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

So it happened again last night... I had to Queue at a charger for the 2nd time in the last 3 or four years. Happened at Galway plaza. Leaf at the 50 and ioniq 5 at the 150. In fairness the ioniq left is less than 10 minutes. Last time this happened was Portlaise last year.

FYI: For reference I've fast charger 53 times in the last year with esb and a handful of times with easygo.

I'm exclusively WFH so my travel has significantly declined

Charging network in NI is poor.

I am in Coleraine morning and there is no 50kw charger in this part of the country at all from what I can see.

Only 1 in Derry.

And even quite a few of the 22kw ones around Limavady and Coleraine seem to be offline.

The good news is that there are enough people buying EVs that the commercial operators are starting to get interested. Ionity is starting to expand, we're seeing Circle K installing HPCs. Fastned and Instavolt are both looking for partners in Ireland as well

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This is the only way it's going to get better, because it sure as sh1t isn't going to get any better with eCars at the helm.

M9 is going to be a regular occurrence for me now, and my only options going down are Ionity Kill (too close to home to be worthwhile), Kilcullen (too close to home but handy on the return, but either busy or not working right), or Bolton St carpark in Waterford (the only DC charger in or around the city, in an awkward carpark and busy (just checked and someone's plugged into the Type 2 on it)).

A couple of DC chargers in Paulstown would be great. That services was opened in 2016, how is that or any services allowed to open now without EV charging facilities??

At least the M11 has Gorey which covers the route well.. but on the M9, your best hope is the sh1tshow that is Kilcullen (and by the way, not sure if it's only me, but anytime I'm there, it's a bit of a kip, with overflowing bins and just generally untidy..)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Would knocktopher be an option? Just noticed another poster saying there's a 50kw charger there. Literally 2 minutes off the N9.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭boccy23

With the price of petrol/diesel these days and also rising electricity costs, has anyone updated the running costs for BEV versus ICE recently?

Advertisement