Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

I'm not Russian or in Russia and I can't afford Levis 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

If you don't think deploying anti-terrorism squads in armoured vehicles, rubber bullets and tear gas against those protesting the forced vaccine mandates was an overreach, you're very tolerant of authoritarianism.

What we've seen in Australia and Canada in particular would not be out of place in Russia or China. These are facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Ukraine has own stock of Grad launchers either Way it's another win for them

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭scotchy

Ruble looks to be in freefall this morning

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement

I think we've witnessed a bizarre propaganda war over the last few years and Ireland's generally been left relatively unscathed, probably because it's very hard to tilt a PR-STV electoral system, which tends to drive consensus finding. Politics here tends to be very local and not about big, broad messaging and marketing campaigns. There have certainly been attempts at the fringes but they never really got beyond that.

At most we've had a few far right whacko conspiracy theorists out claiming the MSM is out to get them etc and a few gullible, well meaning types who are parroting stuff on the 'left' and I don't think they know what the left means tbh if they think Moscow represents it!

The US and the UK need to urgently deal with what's happened there. Their political systems have been completely consumed by spin and aggressive partisan politics that's driven them into a situation where neither of them are particularly functional anymore. The US worries me in the sense that they've become so divided at this stage that they can't even pass budgets and absolutely everything is now about culture wars and identity politics, to the point that they're just lost down a rabbit hole. Meanwhile the British can't even mention Europe without someone starting to froth at the mouth.

France has similar issues, along different topics - and you can see all the triggers being pushed by various fringe movements, and the links to Moscow are similar.

All of these places have their domestic political problems, divides and issues and they are domestically generated, but they've been played like a violin for the last number of years and it reached a crescendo during the MAGA and Trump era in particular and I still don't think the US commentariat is really waking up to it yet. They're still off blaming one side or the other for absolutely everything, including things they've had no role in. Until that stops and they start behaving like a normal society again, the US is very weak on the world stage.

Britain is at the point where they've a clown as a PM and are practically irrelevant at the moment, having isolated themselves from the EU and burnt bridges all over the place, and that's despite their own hype at home. You can see how nobody's paying much attention to Boris or Truss right now.

Numerous countries were dramatically undermined in the last few years and COVID was mana from heaven for those who wished to poke and prod and destabilise countries further as it lit conspiracy theories everywhere. It didn't take a lot to keep poking at them...

At last we're starting to see the links and beginning to take some of this stuff seriously. I think the manipulation and propaganda ability has com to a dramatic end and only in the last few days. It's a spent force now. Moscow's mask has slipped and it's become very crude, blatant and obvious.

Agree with most of this, but you have a short memory. It was the UK that lead the efforts against Russia in the first 48 hours of the invasion. The EU & US then 'caught up'. For a time, it was Boris leading the world's response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭greenpilot

I think it's a mixture of poor training, paranoia and a very different theatre of operations compared to Syria. Russia knows that there is now a pretty strong SAM threat in Ukranian airspace, with both Russian built high altitude units and low level, shoulder-launched systems. There is also a major Overwatch operation of Ukranian and, to some extent, Russian airspace by both NATO and US aircraft with Radar and Signals gathering systems. Yesterday, the US denied that they are giving the Ukranians raw data on Russian movements, but I'd say they are covering their assessments.

Russian pilots train less than 100 hrs a year. They are also not used to multi-aircraft, multi-objective operations. This is why, in Syria, you only saw one or two flying missions.

Finally, Russia do not train in a Red Flag type of scenario ( I'll let you Google Red Flag for a reference..). NATO are much better at launching multiple platform, multi-role and multiple target missions in one foul sweep. Putin knows this. He knows that Nato have everything in place to hit Russia in one night, conventially, that would destroy the Russian military infrastructure. Hence the Nuclear threat.

This is why there is a massive sub hunt going on at the moment. The West needs to account for every single sub at the moment.

The election interference thing was all unproven and unverified despite major investigations into it, twice, an impeachment and a special prosecutor investigation(Mueller). In fact a new investigation is alleging the Hilary Clinton campaign and now security advisor Jake Sullivan(who worked with Clinton at the time) disseminated false allegations about ties between Trump and Alfa bank (Russian) and were spying on dns data under a false pretence.

https://news.yahoo.com/jake-sullivan-repeatedly-promoted-alfa-110000992.html

The ‘pee pee’ tapes were from the Steele dossier who is also now has serious indictments against him. https://edition.cnn.com/2021/11/18/politics/steele-dossier-reckoning/index.html

The Democrat party, CNN and others lied to everyone and they aren’t so loud in correcting the truth.

There is much to criticise Trump for but Russian interference in the election(other than their regular propaganda and troll farms) is a debunked conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It must have been the Indian version of the Jeremy Kyle show you were analysing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Talisman

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

The Ukrainians also have fairly new domestically produced anti ship missile the Neptune. I'm surprised they haven't tried them on the RuSSian naval units yet. Then again it could be like the RuSSian "Wunderwaffen" for parade use only!

I would actually argue that it was largely France, Poland and some of the eastern EU states that very much lead the response and are continuing to do so. Germany took a while to start to move and but the again Germany's a complex PR democracy and it takes a while process what's going on and there are huge financial costs to weigh up when your energy sector is depending on Russian gas. However, when they did start moving they really moved. The same with the EU in general - it has actually been remarkable how fast 27 countries moved together when they really had to. Even getting Switzerland on board is astounding - you have to do something really off the scale to be subjected to Swiss financial sanctions!

They UK is not moving far enough on sanctions and is peppering them with loopholes - which to me indicates that the Tories are deeply compromised and their attitude to refuges is just showing a total inability to read the room and is extremely unfriendly. I think though that's the core of the current batch of front bench tories, not the UK itself and not even the whole Tory Party. I'd feel a lot more comfortable with Theresa May in power right now, and I have no great love of Theresa May, which says a lot about Johnson, Patel, Truss, Gove, Mogg and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,883 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Oh ya I'm "very tolerant of authoritarianism" (yawn).

Just because I want people to shut up in an unprecedented crisis and do what the govt. (which in a reasonably well run democracy, is not a dictatorial remote external force out to get us that we all need to be constantly, eternally cynical of) tells them.

What we've seen in Australia and Canada in particular would not be out of place in Russia or China. These are facts.

Well they are your "facts" anyway (and don't know exactly what you are referring to and do not care). Writing such a sentence (comparing Aus/Canada to Russia/China) on a public forum is a bit shameful and just discredits you really.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭strathspey

I worked with a couple good Israelis and they referred to these Russian Jews as imposters. They had suddenly discovered their Jewish faith when the opportunity presented itself to escape the the 'russian shithole' as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke III

In fairness, it's not like they were encouraged to openly practice their faith under Soviet rule. They're still Jewish.

What fantasy? Be specific and you'll look less foolish at least.

If you don't know what I'm referring to, I'll tell you. Australian protesters (mainly tradesman) who were protesting vax mandates and losing their jobs, were shot in the back with rubber bullets by Australian anti-terrorism units driving around in armoured trucks.

Something we haven't even seen from Russian police arresting Russian anti-war protesters. Unfortunately many in the west, particularly middle class liberals who weren't in danger of losing their jobs and were fine in lockdown with their spacious gardens, gave all this a thumbs up.

The way Canada and Australia in particular behaved towards protesters, totally ruined any moral authority the west had over dictatorships. They will never be able to preach about democracy, freedom to protest etc to the likes of China, Iran or Russia again. All those countries have to do is roll the tape of 70year old Australian grandmothers being thrown to the ground and pepper sprayed by two cops.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I don't know if this is true, for a start, and it's also worth pointing out that the British have sanctioned a fraction of the amound of individuals and organistations that the EU and the US has. The Tories are completely riddled with dirty Russian money.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

• Advertisement

Many of them aren't Jewish. Lots of Russian Christians pretended to be Jewish to get into Israel. These days they've dropped the pretence and you see them walking around with crosses around their necks. Many had very tenuous links like a great grandfather who was half Jewish. In general it was a benefit to Israel....apart from the organised crime and mafia-like culture that came with them. Corruption was in every segment of life in the USSR, so those practises were unfortunately imported.

This is the problem when you conflate a religious faith with an ethnic group. Presumably Israel has its own definition that it is working with.

So the 'protestors' (or rioters) were pelting the police with stuff, injuring two police, and the police responded with rubber bullets to dispel the illegal gathering.

Just like Russia, for sure.

2 1 ruble notes to one ply of toilet paper is the official exchange I believe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know one antivaxxer and yep thinks all of the above, the great reset and we're just as censored in the west. When I point out his extensive links to youtube, blogs and websites he gets his info from and point out the west isn't very good at censoring much of anything, he has no answers, save for 'but, but..'.

But it's also foolish to assume such people are living basements eating beans. This particular guy could buy and sell a few of us here and is very successful in life and work. Ditto for a couple of people I've met around him who would share his viewpoints. And they certainly don't do much in the way of 'both sides' either. I haven't spoken to him since this all kicked off, but I'd be surprised if he weren't sympathetic to putin, or at least would be at pains to point out the West's hypocrisy and so on.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It's like two weeks ago. We're not talking about an event 20 years ago. The UK government were the first to really be vociferous about sanctions.

Individual sanctions against Oligarchs is complete nonsense anyway. It's one of those things that blue check journalists and twitter users love. Going after these individuals has absolutely zero impact on Putin and the war machine. It's essentially a massive virtue signal. Additionally the likes of Abramovic has been massively philanthropic and has contributed greatly to the UK economy. Some, like Abramovic, may also be helping in negotiations. The idea that he should be stripped of his assets is ludicrous.

It's such a petty campaign to 'seize the yaughts'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Yes i agree, their is nothing to suggest at the moment that any POW in Ukraine are being mistreated, but thats not to say that it is not happening though.

He did also call on Ukraine to not kill any Russian soldiers and to let them go home instead, so he is also probably trying to look out for his own comrades as well.

But I do wonder why he would mention that, does he think that Ukrainian forces are shooting Russian soldiers rather than taking them captive?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

The idea that someone like Priti Patel could be a cabinet minister is shocking. She has all the instincts of a fascist. It shocks me that someone from a proud immigrant background could be so prejudiced. Does she not see the irony?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement