Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russia released a video showing tanks patrolling Kiev .....

Only one thing though

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Demilitarisation and denazification have gone off the list. Interesting....

The Ukrainians should respond like General McAuliffe did at Bastogne when the Germans requested his surrender.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Who's to say Putin doesn't take the whole Ukraine when it's army stands down

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

Putin took us back 50 years in time and we're back in the cold war, imo.

they got a weak army, no moral, no economy, no vision but hiding behind a nuclear arsenal that is targeted towards the west.

Putin crossed red lines with the west from which there will be no return.

I don't buy all the drama going on, about some world war and Armageddon

What i think is going to happen is that China will bail (buy) Russia out and they'll basically become 1 large political body non-officially governed in Beijing and we're going to see some new vietnam wars, cuban crisis, middle eastern wars, Israeli-Iran wars.

For now, all eyes on Iran, as they're very close to re-instate the nuclear deal with the west.

also, Thread:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,889 ✭✭✭✭josip

Reminds me of a friend describing one time he fired an RPG, "I stepped out and I immediately felt very big..."

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Yeah, i don't see how Ukraine could agree to being defenceless in the future.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To me that reads like Russia just blinked. They know they're utterly fúcked on the ground in Ukraine and in the eyes and pockets of the vast majority of the rest of the world. It's really a no win situation for them now. They either go for broke and go all in and pummel the country, or try and save face in 'peace talks'. I suspect, and hope beyond hope, it's the latter.

And TBH I'd give them those two statelets, though they'll make a mockery of the term 'independent states'. They're mostly ethnic Russian, kinda like the North of Ireland was mostly Loyalist British. I'd support Ukraine in repatriating any Ukrainians in those regions who wanted to leave. Let Russia fúck off back where it came from, make Ukraine an EU 'associate' and invest in the place while cracking down on things like their corruption and neo nazi muppets. In a decade's time those in the 'independent states' will look across the border and wished they'd left for Ukraine when they could.

I still can't understand the hubris of putin. If he had regognised those mostly ethnic Russian states and rolled into them to 'protect his own', he could have made a fairly good spin on that. The UN noted the strife there and the many thousands killed in the fighting, much of them ethnic Russians and by neo nazis with it, though like the aforementioned Troubles comparison it was on both sides and complex. The world would have asked WTF? but I would be shocked if Russia would have faced anything like the shítstorm they're facing now. I'd bet they'd have gotten away with it like Crimea. Or close enough. What was he thinking? Though I would suspect he was nearly as much in the dark about his military's capabilities because of fear of telling him the truth. That's a major problem and factor when you're Czar. People around you won't speak the truth because they're never quite sure what the truth of their autocrat is that day.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

Yep cause Russia would be obliterated if they do.

I didn't see that demand. I was only responding to the ones in the tweet donjoe posted - give them crimea and donbas, dont join NATO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

I agree, Putin knows that the ball will now be in Zelenksy's court and the longer the war goes on the more likely the Ukrainian people will grow tired of the notion of a brave resistance.

Everyone including Putin needs a way out of this that saves them politically.

It may also buy Ukraine more time to build up their own defense even more than they have been doing. I also agree Crimea is a lost cause, it seems like the equivalent of a Northern Ireland but with no nationalists living there.

The one big issue with all of this is it basically means a country can bully their way into getting what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

Not joining NATO is being defenceless though. Russia could repeat its invasion whenever it wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

You genuinely think Putin, a man who has pathologically lied and broken agreements, will keep to those terms?

"Ukraine is building a dirty bomb, we have to go back in"

"Ukraine is rebuilding it's military, we have to go back in"

"Ukraine is secretly in talks to join NATO, we have to go back in"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Unfortunately, that 500,000 figure is entirely doable. The Russian military number 1.1 million. The goons you see who are suppressing all protests and civil 'complaints and such, number about 2.2 million, so Russia already has roughly equivalent numbers of social suppressors in Russia itself.

I heard a joke which I think went something like: 'In Russia, you are free to protest, but the authorities are free to stop you.'

• Registered Users Posts: 18,516 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

They are also demanding that Ukraine not join the EU ("any blocs").

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Another term I would add is non NATO alligned inspectors and peacekeepers(we'd be a charm for that) in Ukraine during the rebuilding process. If putin tried the WMD bullshít he'd be on very shaky ground. I don't think he'd risk another debacle like the one on his hands now.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

No I don't trust him. But if Ukraine keeps fighting there will literally be no Ukraine left. It either ends now with some hard to swallow terms, or much later after an enormous amount of deaths and destruction.

I also think it's a bit rich for people to say keep fighting while also saying, sorry you're on your own.

"Cease military action"

This is another way of saying Ukraine must demilitarise (people are reading wrong if they think that just means the immediate cessation). And by demilitarise they mean allowing Russian troops to protect them.

This is Putin's way of taking Ukraine without further loss of the cannon fodder, which may cause him issues at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,361 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I'd agree with this.

Putin fucked up big time.

If he had of actually done his special operation, the funny thing is, the west may have given him **** but he probably would have got a pass.

I can see Zelinskyy giving them the 2 statelets and Crimea, but not disarming. I could also see Vlad accepting that, knowing what he can expect the next time (and there will be a next time) he goes in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wes M.

I dunno how a ceasefire could be achieved when Ukraine is surely on a path to Western alignment now - NATO, EU membership, however long it takes, and Russia can't pull out without winning something. Even if the invasion was rolled back, you'd imagine Russian harassment and interference will continue for years to come with propaganda and cyber warfare and election meddling. If I was Ukraine, I'd want strong partners more than ever. I read in The Times this morning, that there was talk of the Russians "uncovering" evidence to say that Ukraine was working on a nuclear weapons program, which of course would play well domestically, that this threat had to be neutered, even at great loss of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

That's the idea , Ukraine won't need an army because Russian peace keepers will be permanently based in Ukraine to protect Ukraine from foreign aggression

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

It would be very stupid of Ukraine to agree to anything that requires Putin keeps his word. I would have thought most have woken up to the fact that trying to integrate Russia with trade and dialogue has completely failed over the last 20 years. There is only one that that they respect and understand, that is the ability of defend yourself militarily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Edit: This post was in response to someone suggesting Russia easily had the manpower needed to conquer and police Ukraine post-victory.

It's not doable financially or politically though even if the logistics could be sorted. Committing to a multi-year war, enormous casualties, while your economy is being hammered and your country is being reduced to a pariah state....all while knowing ultimately, you will end up withdrawing anyway.

It's not workable or feasible for Russia. Putin rolled the dice on a war that would last a few days, a short, sharp strike. It hasn't happened, he's already lost locally and on the world stage with the Russian armed forces shown up badly.

All he's trying to do now is save face and punish Ukraine before an agreement is reached. A military defeat and occupation of Ukraine would require collossal military resources and personnel that Russia 100% does not have to commit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

You're assuming that's a concern for Putin.

"We may be destroyed but if we are we will drag a world with us...a world in flames". (Adolf Hitler)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Perseverance The Second

A 4th Su-34 has been visually confirmed as a loss for the Russian's. That means they have lost around $160 million (USD) just on these 4 jets. All Because they are too cheap to use guided munitions (if they even have any)

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭TheTruth89

I don't think he has the control nor is he has much a "mad dog" as is being portrayed. If NATO went in in the morning there would be no nuclear war.

Over caution on the wests part.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭jmreire

Your post read " Show them the map ( of Ireland I presume ) and how that worked out for Ireland, and I replied that the Ukrainians are quite capable of working out what they want themselves, and I'm pretty sure that being subjugated by Russia in any shape or form ( Irish Solution) is not acceptable .....quite the opposite, in fact. And they are prepared to die rather than submit. Slava Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Even if it got that far, I can see the top generals refusing to carry out Putins nuclear orders.

I think at that stage we would see Putin quietly been 'disappeared'.

• Advertisement

There's no need for a no fly zone. The west are playing it perfectly. Give the Ukrainians the weapons, 'Here you go, target, press fire, have your camera ready'. The Russians can't fly without out losing multi million dollar assets with Ukraine making use of ground level, sub $1m dollar AA ordinance.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement