Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it time to join Nato

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What did Monaco and San Marino do to get special mentions?

Edit : and why didn't Vatican get a mention, the pope did tell Putin he'd been a very naughty boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Nato would have imposed a no fly zone the minute the Russian troop build up began before Christmas. The Russian troops would be back in their barracks in Russia at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,697 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Not in the opinion of many, who seem to think that Ukraine was never going to be let join without a fight.

I, and I am sure many others would be disgusted that the carnage we are seeing could have been so easily avoided.

If you are right, shame on NATO

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

1. Do you have to be in Nato to stop cyber attacks?

Stop? Not sure.

Help and mitigate against? 100%!

They were all offensive wars.

Eh, no they were not. Korea for example was conducted under a UN resolution

Gulf War 1 was also backed by a UN resolution after Iraq invaded and annxes Kuwait, something similar to what Russia is doing no.

You clearly dont have an idea what you are talking about.

Learn some history first perhaps.

But is it not thepointt of Nato that they team up should one be invaded. If Russia invades Latvia for instance. Isn't Nato obliged to go to war with Russia. So yes joining nato would increase are chances of getting in wars.

That is article 5, which is the point of NATO, which is the defence umbrella that it operates under.

China and others do not like Nato. By us joining Nato would weaken are political relations with them. No?

What political relations do we have with China? Do you think China cares about Ireland? Most of the people there don't have an iota about us or what we are about.. so no, us joining NATO would be like an ant farting in the wind to them.

NATO is not a 'world power'. It is a defence alliance.

Again, 11 days into the invasion, you are still parroting Russia's and Putin's talking points and spreading its propaganda Mick Wallace style.

Pity.

• Advertisement

Yes, shame on NATO.... and nothing to say about Russia and Putin...!?

Yes, another Putin talking head.

Why would I have to mention Putin on a thread about NATO?

I have condemned Putin as it happens, he is wrong, totally wrong.

Call off the hounds mark.

What are you trying to say mark? Again, I cannot help you if you don't understand realpolitik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭ittakestwo

You just admit artical 5 of Nato means we could get dragged into wars should we join Nato? Why did you rebut piont 2 in post #327 when you just acknowledge being in Nato means we are obliged to war with other countries that invade another Nato member.

We trade with china, we have relations with China albeit not huge. China could decided to sanction Nato members economically in a similar way the west is sanctioning Russia. We would not be effected in that hypothetical scenario. But joning NATO leaves us open to something similar.

Yea, but NATO are equally to "blame"?

You have been spouting off pro-Russia and anti-NATO talking points for the past 10 or so days. You are being played and you don't even know it.

• Advertisement

Yes, you who can barely hold two thoughts together at the same time, where basic concepts have to be water down... and you really understand realpolitik.....?

Pull the other one. You wont fool ol' Marko

The reason article 5 exists is that no enemy would be stupid enough to attack members of NATO. Even Russia won't attack a NATO country, because that is WWIII and will bring some of the world's biggest military powers, like the US, UK and France, all nuclear powers into direct conflict.

It is why the Baltic states were so desperate to join. It is why, if Ukraine was a member, it would be at peace, rather than people dying every day.

We trade with china, we have relations with China albeit not huge. China could decided to sanction Nato members economically in a similar way the west is sanctioning Russia. We would not be effected in that hypothetical scenario. But joning NATO leaves us open to something similar.

China could do that I suppose, but then it is then sanctioned countries that makeup 45% of the entires world GDP, including its biggest export partner, the USA. So, if China did that, it would automatically make itself a lot poorer. Japan, India, Australia and South Korea would also side with NATO, which is another 20% of world GDP right there. Not a good move by China.

However, Ireland alone could well be vulnerable, but then again we are in the EU, so how does China sanction Ireland alone, when all trade deals are negotiated via the EU?

Actually, you just made another good point in order TO join NATO. Collective defensive against sanctions.

Artical 5 factually means we would have to enter a war we otherwise wouldn't have had to should we not be in Nato. There is more a chance of Russia invading the Baltic countries that are in Nato than it has of invading us not being in Nato. Even Biden said last week the Baltic countries are next for Putin. Realistically we have no chance chance of being invaded by a non Nato country but by being in Nato could mean we are dragged into wars we otherwise would not get into. It is a no brianer for us to stay out of Nato.

Why would China sanction Ireland when we are not in Nato, when the scenario I suggested was that they just wanted to sanction Nato countries. Chinas economy has quadrupled in size in the last 15 . In another 15 years it could be bigger than all the west economies put together and could boss nato countries with sanctions.

You clearly do not understand the situation fully if you are desperately trying to block discussion of NATO and their role in the state of the world.

I'm not blocking anything. Just calling out people, like you, regurgitating Russian and Putin propaganda talking points. You seem to want to peddle these lies and not be called out on them. It doesn't work that way Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,689 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Eh, last I checked Russia invaded Ukraine. That wasn't any fault of NATO or anyone else, that is all on Putin, Russia and those in the West who gave him succour in advance and led him to think the West wouldn't react en masse. In Ireland, that means the likes of Ming, Wallace, Daly, Murphy and Sinn Fein must carry some element of the blame for what has happened to Ukraine.

Now that is fantasy stuff. If China were to sanction NATO members economically in a similar way the west is sanctioning Russia, the result would be a collapse of the Chinese economy.

Artical 5 factually means we would have to enter a war we otherwise wouldn't have had to should we not be in Nato.

No, it does say that at all.

Was Iceland in Iraq? Were the French and Germans?

Why would China sanction Ireland when we are not in Nato, when the scenario I suggested was that they just wanted to sanction Nato countries. Chinas economy has quadrupled in size in the last 15 . In another 15 years it could be bigger than all the west economies put together and could boss nato countries with sanctions.

Why would China sanction Ireland if it joined NATO? Why would it not sanction the EU instead or all NATO countries? You are not making any sense.

Do you think China will make up 60% of the world economy? No, it won't.

Being able to funnel his money through the EU including Dublin? senior government ministers looking to exploit his standing at the UN? His propaganda TV station receiving funding , Irish business encouraged to do business with him? If you are lashing that kind of blame around there is plenty of it.

It was always clear that Ukraine would precipitate a reaction, hence NATO's wariness about actually allowing them join.

They were playing a geo political game and Ukraine tragically lost and it wasn't even in the game. Russia, Nato (i.e. The US) were playing.

Nonsense, you obviously don't have a clue about foreign policy.

The UN is a sideshow in our foreign policy.

"Our place in the world is underpinned by a number of interests, including a strong and effective European Union; a world system based on the rule of law with strong global institutions; and an open, free and rules-based global economy. Promoting these interests is part of our foreign policy"

"The European Union is fundamental to Ireland’s future. In our four decades of membership, it has assisted social and economic transformation in Ireland and helped us grow and prosper as a people. As we come through a challenging economic and financial crisis, the EU remains central to our long-term economic stability and growth."

The number one priority of Ireland's foreign policy is the EU.

• Advertisement

1) If a Nato country is invaded then we are dragged into a war by artical 5 of Nato whether we like it or not.

Article 5 is the cornerstone of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) and states that an attack on one member of NATO is an attack on all of its members

2) You are confusing what I said. I did not say China will sanction Ireland should we join. China has said it does not like the expansion of Nato. What happens in the hypothetical but still possible scenario china and Nato fallout and China puts sanctions on all Nato members. If we are not in Nato we will escape sanctions from what will be the biggest economy in the world. No I don't think china economy will be 60% of the world economy but it probably be bigger than all Nato members within 15 years. It population is bigger than all Nato countries at the moment

There you go again, blaming the victim for the violence carried out by thugs. Putin is a thug, he invaded Ukraine, he carries nearly all of the blame, and apologists who encouraged him for the last few months voting against EP and Dail resolutions and speaking out in his defence are this decade's Neville Chamberlains.

Micheal Martin called it last January and every word he said about Sinn Fein is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

Quite silly to actually think joining Nato would be good for Ireland or even possible really.

We don't have an army, and we do not need one, what we do need is for our supposedly elected government officials to stop opening their mouths to the world and trying to throw us in the same conversations as Nato when it comes to Russian invasion of Ukraine.

Anyone with a brain knows Russia is in the wrong, but knowing, and openly sprouting it from the rooftops are two different things, we have no reason nor do we have any resources to offer the world in this battle. Nato and Russia are the 2 major reasons behind the conflict, so they should both be the ones who deal with it. A country of 5 million a half a world away from it is not going to have any say or decisive voice in the issue.

If you honestly think anyone would even bother to invade Ireland in modern times, you haven't a clue, we are too far from any viable threat and we are inbetween both the US and UK, meaning no country apart from them could ever hope to even hold on to us if they did mange to somehow sneak an invasion force in.

I wish the Ukrainians nothing but the best, and I hope NATO actually do something more than send prayers and kisses to them as its completely down to both NATO and Russia that Ukraine are in this mess

Something I have struggled with is that republicans use Article 5 as a reason why Ireland should not join NATO as we would have to defend the UK if attacked, but many of the same republicans tell us that if Ireland had sent a "peacekeeping" force into the North in 1969/70, NATO would have ignored the attack on the UK. The double standards are always baffling.

I do not see any problem with joining NATO, but I would much prefer to join an EU Defence Pact. If one of our EU partners is attacked, be that Latvia or Poland, we should stand with them.

The 'victim' is in the middle here, like so many before them sadly, as the US and Russia play geo-political games. Putin without doubt deserves the lions share of the blame.

NATO/US also deserves blame. If ending neutrality or joining NATO is the be all and end all regarding security, explain why Ukraine are not in NATO, they have asked often enough and are now pleading to be in it.

Oh good, you want to turn this into a government bashing thread, because you have been called out on your pro-Putin propaganda.

How very convenient of you.

Let's stay on Topic shall we, that is Ireland, NATO and the war in Ukraine which brought about this debate in the first place.

As I said, if China or the CCP puts sanctions on all NATO members, then it's signing its own death warrant economically.

NATO/US also deserves blame.

Even after it's been made clear that the above is a Putin propaganda talking point, you still peddle it.

You are a disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

If you are worried about China sanctioning Ireland then you really need to check out what is happening in the world. The EU has recently launched a number of WTO disputes regarding Chinese business practices - this includes a blockade of trade the China is currently taking with another EU member (Lithuania) sanction in other words. EU responses will be EU wide (including Ireland). This could result in a trade war with the EU. Like it or not Ireland as a member of the EU will be involved. Exactly the same rules apply as for NATO.

• Advertisement

It is like some people forget that Ireland is already a member of the EU and PFC.

Advertisement