Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly built social homes sitting idle for over 8 months in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

They want both bubblypop. They are not refusing these houses because they only want to stay at a halting site, they are reusing them because they want other ones instead or under different conditions

So Andrew, how do they get the traveller kids out of the class at 10am? Do they go in a drag them out kicking and screaming? Would it not upset their non-traveller classmates?

When I was younger I boxed for a few years. There used to be a good few settled traveller kids in a club I was in. They were living in nice houses not too far from the club. I reckon they'd been in houses for a few generations at this stage. They were almost all left school by 15 or 16. I remember one fella was a quiet fella. Sound enough fella but never really put it in in the training even though he always turned up. He went missing all of a sudden for a few weeks when he was 17 and the other lads said he was off after getting married.

You can't blame covid for that. That fella would be still in his early 30's at this stage (to give you a rough idea of the timeline).

It's sad for them, but there is only so much you can do when that is claimed to be part of their much vaunted "culture". I don't think that giving them more choice in picking houses which suited them better would have changed any of that. It would instead have reinforced it. Allowing them to only move into houses where they can be surrounded by their entire family only promotes segregation.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,114 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

They send them home. Are you criticising them for NOT kicking and screaming now?

No problem. https://www.independent.ie/regionals/wexford/news/brand-new-wexford-houses-remain-idle-despite-being-turned-down-by-traveller-families-41055226.html

The families, who have been living in desperately poor conditions at park for a number of years now, have reportedly stated that they are unwilling to move into the houses and would rather wait until they are provided with a purposely constructed group housing scheme catered for under the Traveller Accommodation Programme.

• Advertisement

Yeah. In your imaginary world where they are going in and identifying the traveller kids and systematically removing all of them from the classes at 10am because they are travellers.

Is this a recent development or have you only become aware of it after schools returned post-pandemic?

And you say yourself - source please?

Not the guff link you posted before which appeared to be about some travellers complaining they weren't getting additional support that others don't get but that they want. And some traveller kid complaining that he wasn't invited to zoom meetings...............it surely wouldn't be beyong any kid to tell their parent a little white lie as to why they were not doing lessons now would it .........

Guff link? Because you don’t like what it is telling you, presumably.

It's not saying what you are claiming. You are claiming,or at least implying, a systematic removal of all traveller kids from all schools at 10am in order to deny them any schooling. And the implication is that this has been going on for a long time because it absolves any traveller of any blame for anything wrong they do - whether that traveller be 18 years old or 80.

Your "do-gooder" plan is not well thought out at all. Unless you want to keep the travellers excluded from education and increasing their social wealth? One of the biggest determinant of a child not going to third level is if they don't know anyone close to them who went to third level. If you want to pack them all into their own little areas to keep it like that then so be it. It is the same thing that they do in the US by packing certain communities into certain areas which then are destined to remain poor.

So they do want traveller accommodation? 😕

Just move other people into the houses and the travellers into traveller accommodation.

The issue is that there is a standoff. For the system to function, they appear to have - in general - rules about how many times a person on the list can refuse a housing option. If a person is on the housing list and gets a few offers of houses in Blanchardstown, they can't keep refusing them just because their family is in Swords and they want the handiness of having babysitters nearby. The reason for this is that there would effectively be no list if they did this - people would just sit there and demand until they got the house that suited them. So they can't let people pick and choose.

Similarly here, it would not be fair to allow certain people, on one hand to be claiming discrimination and failure to provide them with services/shelter, and on the other hand being allowed to refuse perfectly good offers of same. It is fair enough to give people some measure of discretion but they cannot be given an absolute right to pick and choose and reject reasonable offers while staying at the top of the queue. In this case it appears that the people do not want to take those houses but want to retain their right to demand housing for them. Which basically means allowing them to dictate whatever they choose to the State.

I referred to a recent SC case for a family which were trying to overturn an injunction keeping them off land which they had previously abandoned. Now at the time their house was burned, they refused council offers for alternate accommodation. They went off for a few years after being provided with private rentals rather than Council ones. After a few years they returned to the site. The judgment overturning the injunction mentioned ECHR I think as the Council had "failed" to provide them housing. 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,925 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is this the SC case you’re referring to? I wasn’t sure because in this case it appears as though the SC has already made it’s decision -

The similarity between the case above, and the case in Wexford isn’t just that the families involved are travellers, it’s that the council claim that the traveller families are on the land illegally.

That’s why they’re now in mediation in order to try and persuade the families to move into the accommodation on a temporary basis - before the council waste more public funds bringing the case to Court.

That’s the standoff - the traveller families aren’t going anywhere until the council meet their obligations to provide suitable accommodation. It’s probably a good idea if it was sustainable too, but that might be expecting too much.

I understand people have a certain amount of times that they can refuse accommodation. Is there a suggestion these people have refused other accomodations?

And why have the.council not housed anyone else in these houses?

If the housing is inherently "unsuitable" for use as a house, then why should a non-traveller have to live in it? Surely it would also be morally repugnant for the Council to sell the property to some unsuspecting private buyer?

Else, what is the justification for creating a hierarchy of citizens?

In relation to the case, the travellers are indeed on the land illegally. That is the point. There was an interlocutory injunction against them for trespass. That case is one in a long line of cases. The latest SC case merely removed that injunction. That is not the same as saying that they can legally occupy the land.

The Council don't want to move anyone else into the houses because then they can be accused of not providing the houses to the travellers. See court case quoted above. The details are in earlier cases, but basically that family refused many different offers of alternate Council accommodation but refused it. They then got put into private rented accommodation - council offerings were obviously beneath the family and more suitable for the ordinary plebs. They then left that property and went back to the original site after a few years and claimed they had a right to the original property. The Council succeeded in being granted an injunction against their trespass on that site.

I know people who would like to build houses on land that has been in the family for well over 100 years. They aren't allowed to though by planning regulations. Yet a so-called "disadvantaged" group can just rock up to private property and squat on it and do what they like. I know a girl who put a mobile home in her parents garden and the Council served her an enforcement order that she had to remove it. About 15-20 years ago, the issue of caravans arriving onto property that was about to be developed in order to extort money out of the owners or developers was actually a big problem. I think there might have been some legislative changes around that time which were basically to help with that. Somewhat related, there was a similar situation where a certain well known group of families (one of whom was a well known wealthy criminal) got literally millions of Euros each from the State to vacate land and roads near a certain dump that they had been squatting on for years.

So the council is in a bind. If they don't leave the houses vacant there, it allows the families to claim their human rights are being infringed upon by the failure of the Council to provide them with houses. The Council either has to try to stand their ground to have some rules, or else they acquiesce and allow the family to dictate exactly what the Council must provide for them.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that the properties are unsuitable for use as houses? But in any case I wouldn’t expect people who aren’t travellers to be accommodated in properties which aren’t suitable for their needs either. I don’t think there was any mention of selling the properties either to unsuspecting private buyers?

Where are you getting all this from? Since none of those claims apply, it stands to reason that your claim of a hierarchy of citizens existing, also does not apply, not that I would agree there is any such hierarchy in any case.

I don’t think anyone claimed the SC judgement means that anyone can occupy land unlawfully, it’s obvious from reading the article exactly what the judgement means -

"The decision in Clare County Council v McDonagh finally clarifies that the protection of the dwelling under the Constitution does extend to Travellers living on unauthorised sites and that the courts must also have regard, where appropriate, to the case law of the European Court of Human Rights," she said.

"The recognition of Travellers as a vulnerable minority by the court is also hugely significant as it places a particular duty on the courts to take into account their circumstances when faced with an application to have them effectively evicted from an unauthorised site."

I don’t think it’s unreasonable to suggest that the case in Wexford is similar circumstances to the case above, which is why the council are more likely to want to talk, when they realise they’re in a bit of a pickle.

Where did I reference ‘all traveller kids’?

I don’t have any plan, btw, do gooder or otherwise.

Hmm. You're using an example of one kid who presumably told his parents he is playing his playstation because he can't do his schoolwork as he wasn't sent a zoom link as justification that all travellers are denied education.

Or else what is your point?

Sure I know a fella called Paddy and the teacher put himout of the room for 5 minutes for messing - call the UN,Irish children are being denied their human rights.

You cannot have a system where all a recipient has to do is self-declare that the property that they have been granted is "unsuitable". A single mother who is granted a 2 bed in Coolock can't decide that any property other than a 6-bed mansion out in Malahide is unsuitable and therefore she must be given it.

The hierarchy of citizens would be in acceding to the Travellers and accepting that the houses are not good enough for them, but instead putting other citizens into them as they would be good enough for the other citizens. That is a hierarchy when one group is afforded higher standards than others.

As to your second point, that is more or less what I said to Bubblypop. The Council are in a bind because of this "discriminated" crap. So they have to leave the houses sitting there. The family will know this and know what leverage their "status" gives them. No doubt, the houses will be left there for years while we go through the High Court and Supreme Court steps again. All funded by the taxpayer of course.

Try reading the article. You’ll work it out.

It's fine. I get the gist of your argument -> Some traveller child didn't want to do their schoolwork and told their parent that they weren't sent a zoom link. Ergo, all travellers must be afforded the right to choose whatever type of accommodation in whatever location they would like and the council must build it for them regardless of the cost.

• Advertisement

Andrew, the thread is about houses lying idle and wasted because the intended recipients decide they aren't "suitable" even though the houses look above average.

I don't know why you are bringing in some irrelevant articles about some kids saying they couldn't get their regular additional support during covid - a time when everyone lost out on a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

@AndrewJRenko - a simple question - would you live beside the traveller family I describe below or do you condone this behaviour in any way? This is happening now in the village where my family member lives.

Small rural village - the traveller family were given a 4 bed semi detached house at the end of a row of houses occupied by elderly folks with families who have all grown up and left. The traveller family moved in around 5 years ago. The father was barred from all the local pubs within a 25 km radius in the first month. I saw him in action once - very nasty & violent, and the local pub owner used to feed the babies/kids that tagged along with him when he was in the pub all day. The house has been absolutely wrecked a number of times at this stage - completely unlivable and crawling with dirt/filthy/rats/maggots. The house was so bad so about a month ago they moved a huge mobile home into the driveway of the house - the mobile was so big they smashed a fence around the field beside the house to get it in. They also have 2 smaller caravans outside the house, and there are regularly up to 5 large vans parked there in front of neighbour houses and out onto the main road. The field beside them has piles of rubbish dumped, including old trampolines and a variety of sulky carts in various stages of disrepair. A few sorry looking horses are also there at the moment. The field has been allocated for elderly housing and has been cleared multiple times at this stage and how has huge barriers at the gate.

I was talking to the local councillor about this - I know him as he was in my class in school. He said the house will cost 150k to refurbish, including all new furniture and white goods. At the moment it is gutted and all copper wiring gone and everything else sold/scrapped. This is the 3rd time this has happened - total cost of refurbishing the house is approaching 500k at this point. Pavee Point have threatened legal action (CoCo have a policy not to go down this route) if the large mobile is moved, but he is hoping the smaller ones can be moved "over the next few months". The entire place is crawling with rubbish and filth - I was driving past last week and I saw a 2 year old out at 8pm in the freezing cold standing bare foot in a puddle of filthy water surrounded by filth.

The local people are quiet and have never complained (according to the councillor) but they are getting fed up with this. He said that "approximately 90%" of his time is taken up with traveller issues these days, and that Pavee Point have become very aggressive whenever they threaten to do anything. TUSLA and the Gardai have also been there multiple times.

@AndrewJRenko seriously, how can you condone this toxic, filthy, misogynistic culture? What is happening there is child abuse. All the kids past 3rd class are already out of school. They can't even get a builder to go into the house for the renovation - they have to pay a huge premium apparently. And the elderly neighbours are suffering - they can't even leave the coal outside as it'll be immediately robbed. Not to mention that this family have cost the state a huge amount of money over the past 5 years (500k in renovations, dole, child allowance, probably multiple other allowances etc) while contributing absolutely nothing back to society except terrorising the local community and wrecking everything in sight. In a few years the gang of young lads will be old enough to do some serious robbing and terrorising.

This is a toxic culture which needs to be called out. Time to stop making excuses and supporting this criminality and downright abuse.

And what do you think of the quiet traveller family that live quietly, minding their own business?

I would have absolutely no problem with a "quiet traveller family that live quietly, minding their own business".

But I do have a huge problem with the situation I describe in my sisters village. Do you?

And yet you try to use that situation to rant against traveller culture? But you dont use the quiet family in the same way.

would I have an issue with that family in your story? Yes, if course I would. I would have an issue with that family, the ones who are behaving the ways you describe. I'm not going to blame someone else for their behaviour.

You’re not stupid Donald, and I know you’re well aware of things like assessments of needs and so on, and reasonable accommodation standards and all that good stuff, so the whole “single mother demanding a six bedroom mansion in Malahide” and all the rest of it is nothing more than an unreasonable caricature based upon your own prejudices.

What we really can’t afford is a system where prejudice and discrimination are built into it which allows for circumstances where housing authorities are permitted to have little regard for people’s needs, and try to persuade them that the accommodation is suitable for their needs, when it’s later determined that it isn’t, after the council have spent a considerable amount of public funding on the construction and development of accommodation which it knows is unsuitable for its intended occupants.

I mean, I’m assuming that there are some really smart people working in the local authorities, I don’t have to deal with them too often so I don’t have a vast amount of experience to draw on, but I’m assuming they all went to school and did well for themselves and all the rest of it, and yet there appears to be this constant failure to foresee the consequences of their decisions in planning and development. I’m honestly baffled by it, especially in this day and age when discrimination against anyone on the basis of their membership of the traveller community has been prohibited in Irish law for years now, so it’s not as though they could claim they weren’t aware of it?

@BattleCorp1 was able to provide a document earlier that contains three reports from various stakeholders, and I know there are many, many more reports of a similar nature outlining what is considered to be suitable and sustainable accommodation for members of the traveller community. I’m not even being paid to read them as it’s not my job, but I read them anyway. Is it really too much to expect that people who’s job involves providing accommodation to members of the traveller community would at least be aware of these reports, and wouldn’t be so oblivious or incapable of understanding their specific needs?

It really does appear as though they just don’t care, which is fine in a personal capacity, but when it’s their job, and public funding has been allocated specifically to provide accommodation for travellers, is it really too much to expect that the people with responsibility for providing accommodation for travellers would actually take their needs into consideration in planning and development long before the construction stage?

All joking around aside like, seriously? I think the local authorities have a lot to answer for when it appears they’re willing to squander public funds as they’re doing, because their incompetence is costing the State far too much already. Instead it appears you want to zero in on individuals who don’t have any influence whatsoever on social policy, they don’t even have a place they can call home, let alone any real influence on public policy!

I can understand the frustration, I just think you’re aiming your ire at the wrong targets is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

@BattleCorp1 was able to provide a document earlier that contains three reports from various stakeholders, and I know there are many, many more reports of a similar nature outlining what is considered to be suitable and sustainable accommodation for members of the traveller community. I’m not even being paid to read them as it’s not my job, but I read them anyway. Is it really too much to expect that people who’s job involves providing accommodation to members of the traveller community would be so oblivious or incapable of understanding their specific needs?

It'd like to make it clear that I don't agree with the contents of the document I linked to. I don't think there should be traveller specific accommodation, period. Travellers shouldn't be able to dictate that they want space for horses, to be housed with their extended family (which can be very large) or to have space for caravans or any of the other nonsense that they are looking for.

Bit hyperbolic to use the word "rant", no? I was describing a local situation as accurately as possible, and I gave my own informed opinion.

As for the "quiet traveller family that live quietly, minding their own business" - again, I have absolutely no problem with that. But I'm not sure how that is relevant to my post? Except that the quiet family may have rejected the more toxic and damaging aspects of traveller culture. But surely that supports my points!!????

• Advertisement

The point is, that instead of blaming a family for their bad behaviours, you try to blame something else. I'm this case, their ethnic background, but you acknowledge that you wouldn't do the same for the quiet traveller family.

One family acts bad. I would blame that family for their behaviour.

Advertisement