Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,573 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Really? Because just a few post ago you were trying to patronise other posters views on the basis that they immigrants so couldn't follow the intricacies of the English language. And that was posters who were competently posting on Boards for years! But now you expect me to believe that you think all immigrants can speak English.

You betrayed yourself there.

Rubbish. I merely asked a poster who said he was an immigrant if English wasn't his first language. What is your issue with that exactly?

Not all immigrants have English as their first language, you must know that?

I'm not sure where you're getting any patronising from? It's a question. Nothing wrong with that.

If people don't have English as their first language, then I'm not going to make **** of them for mixing up a word. If, in the other hand, they claim to understand what the word ' migrant ' means, then obviously I'm going to ask how can there be genuine migrants and migrants who are not genuine? Or perhaps you fail to understand definitions also?

I also note that poster has not come back to explain how he believes there are genuine migrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Is it patronising when posters here argue that migrants who do not meet their very exacting standards should not be permitted entry into a country?

By their own individual standards, appears to be how they distinguish between migrants who are genuine, and those who are not, and should be denied entry, etc. It’s as though they imagine their subjective standards override objective international human rights laws and standards.

I’d say that meets the definition of patronising and condescending, as opposed to allowing for the fact that because someone says they’re a migrant, it’s not unreasonable to assume might have difficulty with the English language, especially as the language barrier has been consistently argued as a reason to prohibit immigrants from entering Ireland and Europe, based upon the argument that they don’t integrate into society in the country they immigrate to, because they don’t speak the local language.

It’s no coincidence of course that you’d get up on your high horse about that one, but anyone else making negative gross generalisations about migrants you appear to be perfectly capable of giving them the benefit of the doubt they’re not including you personally in their grossly simplistic generalisations.

Aye, seems legit 😏

I’m reminded of this sort of thing -

Earlier this week, Bulgarian Prime Minister Kiril Petkov drew a distinction between those fleeing Ukraine and others.

"These people are Europeans," Petkov said. "These people are intelligent, they are educated people. ... This is not the refugee wave we have been used to, people we were not sure about their identity, people with unclear pasts, who could have been even terrorists ..."

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/03/1084201542/ukraine-refugees-racism?t=1646440753938

Post edited by One eyed Jack on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

it’s not unreasonable to assume might have difficulty with the English language

It is. Some of them do have, but it's wrong to assume. Just as it is wrong to assume that all middle eastern immigrants are terrorists. Right?

Earlier this week, Bulgarian Prime Minister Kiril Petkov drew a distinction between those fleeing Ukraine and others.

A bunch of racists all these Eastern Europeans.

They're not the equivalent of each other - one is an assumption motivated by consideration and accommodation, the other is an assumption based upon perpetuating existing negative stereotypes about other people, like the numerous amount of posters who suggested the language barrier was sufficient justification to suggest immigrants don’t want to integrate into society, and there wasn’t a peep out of you then.

Now there is when you want to claim it’s unreasonable to assume that migrants would have difficulty with English? It’s nothing more than something you tried to leap on to score a cheap point is all. It’s the Prime Minister of Bulgaria has shown himself to be racist, but it would be unreasonable to assume Bulgarians, let alone Eastern Europeans as a group, are racist.

I was making the point that it’s the same sort of double-think you’re engaging in - because you’re from Eastern Europe, you’re grand, whereas it’s ok to perpetuate negative stereotypes about people from other countries as though ‘they’re not like us civilised folk’.

It’s very different to suggest that a country is racist, when the evidence isn’t there to support the claim, much like the way it’s claimed that immigrants are only coming to Ireland because they want to take ‘our’ money, when the evidence just isn’t there to support that claim.

The fact that immigrants are discriminated against in terms of employment, housing, education, is not just based upon their difficulties with the local language. It’s a contributing factor as to why the rate of unemployment is higher among immigrants of African origin for example - not because they’re African, but because of people’s prejudice informed by negative stereotypes about Africans. It’s also because of these factors that those immigrants who are employed, are vastly over-represented in low-paying employment. They’re not coming to take anyones money, they’re coming because they want to earn money of their own and make a better life for themselves and their families - that being second and third generation immigrant families whose children struggle in education because their first language is not the local language.

It wouldn’t be any different if we were referring to any other immigrants from other European countries where they don’t speak the local language, it’s not just English. It could be French, German, Portuguese, whatever. It’s not the same as suggesting they’re not educated or that they’re different from us because they speak a different language. Even on Boards it’s considered rude if I post in Irish and don’t provide a translation for those people for whom Irish is not their first language.

Just because I know a handful of immigrants who speak Irish, it would still be unreasonable to demand that immigrants must speak Irish and treat them unfavourably on the basis that I assume they should be able to speak Irish if they wish to integrate into Irish society.

While I wouldn’t inflict Peig on anyone, even I struggle with “contemporary” Irish, which appears to be an effort to sex up the Irish language in an effort to make the it more appealing to a new generation -

https://m.independent.ie/life/the-new-gaeilgeoirs-forecasts-of-the-irish-languages-demise-are-greatly-exaggerated-41264786.html

You can probably tell already, I’m not a fan of that kind of thing, seems more of an effort by a small group of people to be exclusionary in an attempt to differentiate themselves from everyone else, rather than any effort to be inclusive of as many people as possible 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

The amount of Ukrainians we're taking in has jumped from 20,000 to 100,000. That's way too many.

Large-scale population transfers are more a feature of colonial governments than democratic governments, like the British Empire sending huge numbers of Indians to settle in Fiji and Trindad and Tobago.

Who has paid for these electronic billboards of blue and yellow Ukrainian flags appearing all over Dublin city?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Probably Soros or Gates. Same people who want to kill everyone but at the same time save a load of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,849 ✭✭✭growleaves

Right. I was assuming it was the government or DCC.

But now that you mention it, are you still claiming Gates is squeaky clean or nondescript now that his ex-wife claims she left him due to his association with a procurer of girls for millionaire paedophiles (Jeffry Epstein)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,713 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

No. Ive big issues with Microsofts business practices aswell. Also, she said that was one of the reasons. But associating with Epstein is different from him being a paedo.

I do find it funny that people actually believe Gates said he wants to murder 4 billion people. That'll never change.

The majority of Ukrainians will return to their country though once peace, and reconstruction occurs. The EU will pour money into Ukraine whenever it becomes free of Russian influence, and that means a major boost to the Ukrainian economy. The thing you tend to find with Ukrainians, is that they love their country, and only really moved elsewhere because the economy was previously dodgy (apart from the conflict).

I suspect we'll see about 40k Ukrainians settle and stay in Ireland by the conflict has ended, with the remainder returning to Ukraine to enjoy the fruits of foreign investment. Which, honestly, I'm fine with. They won't remain as a burden on the State.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

who suggested the language barrier was sufficient justification to suggest immigrants don’t want to integrate into society, and there wasn’t a peep out of you then.

But I don't deny there are a lot of immigrants with very little or no English because there a plenty. I'm just saying don't assume that all of us are like that, just like you don't assume that all muslims are jihadis, even when you see that quite a few are.

The fact that immigrants are discriminated against in terms of employment, housing, education, is not just based upon their difficulties with the local language. It’s a contributing factor as to why the rate of unemployment is higher among immigrants of African origin for example

People of African origin should be here on a work permit basis, so they should not face difficulties in getting hired as doctors and engineers.

And again, I don't blame the immigrants. I blame authorities for their lax enforcement of border and immigration policies.

they should not face difficulties in getting hired as doctors and engineers.

Unfortunately they do. There are massive barriers with recognition of qualifications. The EU really doesn't like to recognise non-EU qualifications so to get recognition you have to jump through a crazy amount of hoops in processes that can often take 6-12 months depending on the occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Heard Michael Martin on Pat Kenny talking about Ireland taking 80,000 refugees. This seems a very proportion to taken given our small size, how are we going to look after so many?. Given our relative sizes you'd expect the UK to take nearly a million in that case but seemingly they've only given out 50 visas so far and will be screening all refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

I would rather the extra time be taken to ensure qualifications meet the required standard for job positions instead of risking standards lowering in industries such as health and construction where lives could be seriously impacted.

Can't see it being that many. If 10 million leave for the EU (super high-estimate) then proportionately that would have us taking in about 100k. Some of the numbers being thrown around are very weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

The lads (Leo and Micheal) have to be seen to be the best little boys in Europe. Resources/where to put them matter not a jot when there is brown nosing to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

Is there any guesstimate figures on what it'd cost if we take 100k? Unless someone bumps off Putin the war will be going on for the foreseeable I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

It was coveney or Michael Martin that came out with the figures, think it was based on GDP? What is the plan are they staying in hotels, can't see people putting up spare rooms as being too realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

We have about 1% of the EU population??

100,000 seems way more than 1% of the UK refugees??

I’ve already explained the difference in motivations between the two very different assumptions - one isn’t motivated by prejudice, the other is. All you’re doing is the equivalent of someone telling people not to assume anyones pronouns… 😒

It doesn’t matter whether people of African origin are here for work or not, so suggesting they should only be here on a work permit basis is neither here nor there. The fact is that among those people of African origin who are seeking employment, they experience discrimination motivated by prejudice.

I know you don’t blame immigrants, sure the immigrants you’re talking about don’t exist, your ideas about immigrants are based upon nothing more than your own prejudices. You’re actively trying to make your prejudice their problem, and that’s where the double-think comes in - you get shirty when assumptions are made about you, but it’s fine according to you for you to make assumptions about other people and treat them accordingly.

• Advertisement

Ukraine has a population of 44 million people. If 6-8 million people (a fairly reasonable projection) end up in Europe, a sizable amount will head to the countries with both the more "successful"(at least on paper) economies, and those with the reputation of being friendly to migrants. Poland would take many, but they're limited by their own economic growth, and living standards. Germany has been the golden goose for decades, and is having serious issues with the existing migrant population. France is turning more and more insular.. Italy/Spain have existing problems of their own.

The point being that when considering what countries that these refugees would head to and settle, the list isn't spread out in any kind of balanced manner. A variety of European countries have issues economically, and with growing unemployment. Others, are having issues with migrant populations, and difficulties arising from the lack of integration. In reality, there are few European nations that can absorb high numbers of refugees... and Ireland is one of them.

Ireland has a very good reputation among peoples from Eastern Europe, due to the relatively positive experiences had by Estonians, Polish, etc. Ireland is still very welcoming to migrants, especially to those from EE.

So, yeah.. I fully expect to see around 40k Ukrainians coming here and staying after the conflict is ended, and the remainder return to Ukraine.

There will be funding coming from both the EU and the UN... and likely the US will throw a few bones towards refugee relief. This conflict isn't perceived the same way as conflicts in the M.East or Africa. This is being taken as an European war... so there will be more supports available.

But yeah, the initial costs will be high, although from my own experience of being in Ukraine just over a decade ago, English is widely spoken. Not amazing standards, but decent foundation for further development, so there's some scope towards getting Ukrainians working/supporting themselves relatively quickly.

It really boils down to just how generous our government decides to be.. and I suspect they'll be extremely generous due to the virtue signalling involved in such a high profile situation. So, there might not be much motivation for many to become self-sufficient, if our government decides to support them.. Here's hoping our politicians restrain their urges.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MarkEadie

Good post. Cordell got shirty when the assumption was made about his English but in fairness it's clear from his posts that English is not his first language. Most of his posts have some kind of grammar mistake or another error. Is it a big deal - no, and it's not an English grammar forum so nobody is going to care. I guess there was a miscommunication and perhaps that assumption was made because the person saw errors in your posts that you might not have been aware of on a constant basis. Or maybe Cordell was aware of them and it touched a nerve that they were pointed out.

Actually, Cordell got offended on behalf of a completely different poster. Noone said anything about Cordell or his language skills.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Which in reality means that many lives will be suspended. Having refugee status is very different from being an immigrent or even being an illegal one. First of all you are well documented by the UN, the Red Cross and the government of the country you are assigned to and everyone around you knows your status. You spend your life waiting to go somewhere else and everything you get and do is on a temporary basis. You have lost everything and have no possibility to begin again until you your are allowed to do some. And in any case it is not by choice, you did not want to leave the life you had, but it was that are die.

Ireland had little exposure to the Hungarian revolution of 1956 and I didn't until I move do Switzerland when I was 27. I was amazed at the number of older workers that were at my junior level that were not going anywhere. As I got to know them I understood - they were refugees from 1956 - 35 years ago then, who were waiting to be returned to Hungary.... They could not go back and they could not start a new life either and because of the temporary nature of their status nobody wanted to bet on the - employers, banks etc.... The life most of their adult life in a suspended state.

If it were me I'd try very hard to go illegal rather than get locked into refugee status.

Except that the manner of Ukraine is entirely different. Hungary was a regime change which put people in jeopardy had they returned. Ukraine is a straightforward invasion, and there's little chance that Russia will be able to hold on to it, even when they occupy the country. Russia is set to implode either from civil dissent with the combination of economic problems and international ostracization. They're not going to hold on to Ukraine for very long, and when they leave, Ukrainians will be able to return to the regime/culture/etc they knew before.

Even if that wasn't to happen, the situation in Europe is vastly different from the 1950s. Refugees were blocked from gaining much in the way of citizen protections, and most industries had protectionist rackets to prevent refugees or many other migrants from working. There also wasn't the range of social support networks. With the cold war, and the aftermath of WW2, Europe wasn't in a supportive position towards refugees, and so, there wasn't much interest in helping them.

Ukrainian refugees aren't going to be kept in refugee camps, or other similar methods of dealing with such people, like we've seen with M.Eastern refugees. Ukrainians have gained the recognition of being "European", and that will open many doors to them. Educational supports will be extended to them to help them upskill, as will financial supports to get them into the position to start their own lives. They'll gain the rights to work, and settle in most European countries, the same way that Asylum seekers do, except they won't need to go through the asylum process.

You're taking refugees from other conflicts or other periods of history and lumping them together... it's not that simple.

Some good news for non-EEA doctors and their families. As a result they will qualify for citizenship

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

You might have missed it in the media this last couple of years, but the UK left the EU.

Sorry, I meant UKR.

• Advertisement

I hope our high wages aren't depriving Asian and African countries of doctors.

I'd hate to think that we are poaching doctors who are badly needed in developing countries.

Advertisement