Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of earth and stone

Options
  • 09-05-2012 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody could tell me where I could get rid of earth and stones? I know it's frowned upon to chuck it in your bin, but I don't know where I can get rid of it.

Any ideas? =\

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

How much is there? Earth could go in your brown bin if you have one. Stones, in the grey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

Ask around, maybe a neighbour would be glad of it for their landscaping project. They might even help you remove it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Thank you both for your replies :)

I'm a bit reluctant to go knocking door to door, and I can't think of anyone that would use it. The earth and this stuff I assume is shale is mixed in together, so separating it would be impossible. It would also be unusable to anyone who wanted to use it to grow anything on it.

I would hazard a guess that there is a large black wheelie bins worth and a half maybe.

The stones a very small, kinda the size of pebble dash. Would you think it could go in the brown bin too? I'll have to off load it over a few weeks if that's the case.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Abi wrote: »
    Hi all, I was just wondering if anybody could tell me where I could get rid of earth and stones? I know it's frowned upon to chuck it in your bin, but I don't know where I can get rid of it.

Any ideas? =\

Your local recycling centre is where to get rid of it.

Dublin City Council Recycling Centers and also Oxigen Waste/Recycling accept large volumes of earth and rubble/builders ruble.

A van load is 20 euro in Dublin City Council or else 16 euro with Oxigen.:)

The waste bin collection lorries will not take a wheelie bin full of soil and rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

paddy147 wrote: »
    Abi wrote: »

Any ideas? =\

Your local recycling centre is where to get rid of it.

Dublin City Council Recycling Centers and also Oxigen Waste/Recycling accept large volumes of earth and rubble/builders ruble.

A van load is 20 euro in Dublin City Council or else 16 euro with Oxigen.:)

The waste bin collection lorries will not take a wheelie bin full of soil and rocks.
    That's fantastic Paddy, thanks a million for that :)

• Advertisement

You'd need a van to move it though or you could break your axel. I would (and have done) get rid of it a bit at a time in the black bin. No problem as it is general waste for landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭deandean

Abi here is what I have done:

Go to a builders providers and get 20 or so 'rubble bags'. These are thick plastic bags strong enough to put earth & rubble into. About 10 Euro for 20 bags.

Shovel the earth & stuff into the bags, not too much, you need to be able to lift each bag.

Put the bags into your car. Spread the weight, so put them into the passenger footwell, in front of the rear seats, in the boot, etc.

Drive to local Bring centre, 15 Euro or so for a car load, dump the stuff into the 'Rubble' skip. You can either throw the bags in, or empty them & keep the bags. With a bit of luck the nice lads there will empty the car for you.

Skips and those skip-bags are a horrid price. Avoid if you can!

Best of luck.

5 euro for 7 large "barney rubble" hessian coal bags in most builders providers.

Bigger and stronger than the plastic rubble bags (imo)

Perfect for filling with soil and rubble,reusable too.:)

redser7 wrote: »
    You'd need a van to move it though or you could break your axel. I would (and have done) get rid of it a bit at a time in the black bin. No problem as it is general waste for landfill.

More wheelie bins to put out means more money (bin charges) and less space for general household waste in the bin.

Car,van,jeep,trailer.A few large hessian "barney rubble" sacks and you are sorted

15 euro into your local recycling center and its all gone in 1 go.

Simples.:)

What sort of car is that? I would have thought that a bin and a half worth of soil and stone would knacker anyone's car. Put it in the black bin and it will compress what's its sitting on, no extra charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

When getting your yearly car service, get your car serviced with a mechanic that offers a complementary day car, then transport the earth and stones.:D That's what a fellow I know does every year when he wants to transport compost without damaging his own car.

What sort of car is that? I would have thought that a bin and a half worth of soil and stone would knacker anyone's car. Put it in the black bin and it will compress what's its sitting on, no extra charge.

Its not a car.But the car is in there...somewhere.:D

The car (TDI) has been used before to bring lots of sacks of rubble,soil and general garden crap to the recycling centre and never any problem using the car to do it.

When getting your yearly car service, get your car serviced with a mechanic that offers a complementary day car, then transport the earth and stones.:D That's what a fellow I know does every year when he wants to transport compost without damaging his own car.

Meanwhile they're flying round Ballymun doing doughnuts in yours :)

Meanwhile they're flying round Ballymun doing doughnuts in yours :)

Or smacking the car (on a test drive and speeding) into the central reservation on the main Ballymun road.:eek:.....right outside the garda station too.:D

Sounds like there's a story behind that Paddy! Mis-spent youth? :)

Sounds like there's a story behind that Paddy! Mis-spent youth? :)

Oh theres a story allright.

It involves myself standing at the traffic lights outside the garda station,when the car was driven down the road at speed,locked up its brakes when the traffic lights went red,crashed into and smacked off the reservation.

Talk about being in the right spot at the wrong time.

I gave the driver a 9 out of 10 for the perfectly executed pirouette.:D

Thats all Im going to say on the matter.;)

Classic :)
    Well they have to practise somewhere I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

Would greenstar/panda accept it these days, in general waste wheelie bin? Bit by bit maybe, like a small coal bag of stones of assorted sizes?

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭shane b

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭cudsy1

Because of its (hopefully) continuing relevance?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think there's a 25kg limit on lifts before some operators start charging per kilo (punitively) so be careful what you put out in your bin.

Advertisement