Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

Two year deal for Matthew Burke.

More announcements in the coming days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Happy with the two renewals but still sickened by that showing on Sunday. We're traditionally awful away but that was a rough one to be in attendance for.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭RonnieL

I thankfully missed the game, and could barely bring myself to watch the highlights, so I feel for those in attendance (although Edinburgh is a great spot to drown some sorrows!). Bernard Jackman placed the blame squarely at the players door in his analysis on against the head last night, and from what I did see it's hard to argue with him. One piece of advice - if you're still hurting from Friday, don't look at our fixture list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Well deserved new contract for Burke, his progression has been one success story this season. I didn't think he had the size/physicality to reach this level, very happy that be proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I think it's more than the players to blame (although they were gutless as a whole Friday). Although we've a good blast of young talent coming through I don't think Friend and Co are gonna be able to bring us on. There's too many system malfunctions like Edinburgh last Friday, 3/4 Heineken Cup pool games and Scarlets away last year where we bottled a 20+ point lead at halftime. Friend is a lovely guy but this is professional sport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭briandebum

I think it's tough to lay blame at Friends door, our squad always looked lightweight before the season, just don't think we have the players to be honest. Especially when injuries inevitably strike and a few of the frontline players are gone.

It almost feels blasphemous to be typing it, but god I wouldn't even mind a season of Munsteresque low risk rugby with a solid defence & set piece. Whether that can be achieved with the current players and/or the current coaching set up is for people smarter than me to figure out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

If we had a pack like Munster's we'd walk a lot of games with our current gameplan, Munster could score so much more if they played a bit more expansively. I realise I'm tping this after a record win for them at the weekend, but some of the games earlier this season where they struggled and didn't appear to trust their backs were awful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

How many of our senior players are out of contract this season ? I know there are new contracts supposed to come this week but are we likely to lose any senior guys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would guess e masterson, Healy, TOH are all at risk. Dillane already gone. Robertson McCoy?

Masterson was never the same after that knee injury. Never really has a bad game to be fair. Healy has been a great servant but he's not first or second choice now and is probably on a decent wage at his age. TOH's form has been awful for a few years now. If Dooley signs DRM could definitely go. Good solid pro14 player.

Could probably do with a fullback/wing And a hooker along with the rumoured Hawkshaw and Dooley.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Former Coach

That wouldn’t leave many of our Pro12-winning team……… Bundee, Kieran, Finlay, Heff, Pete Robb…..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,952 ✭✭✭TRC10

Could probably do with a fullback/wing

This will happen, if the Chay Mullins rumours are to be believed

Looks like a cracking prospect.

Adam Byrne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Watched against the head the other night, and they showed some of the mistakes in defence leading to tries, and was it just a coincidence? but Tom Daly seemed to be the culprit for most of the easy breaks they made, either he took the wrong player and left a gap or he shot up too quickly and missed his man, without watching the match back properly, did anyone else notice that?

Very surprising as I'd always held Tom Daly up as a bit of a leader in the squad, leading by example, so missing tackles etc I haven't seen from him before. Or am I being too harsh on one player?

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

Great to see the Leinster guys moving. For Dooley and Byrne it should have happened 2 or 3 years ago.

Hawkshaw will be fantastic.

New two year deal for Butler. Pleasantly surprised had a feeling he might move to France

What position will Hawkshaw likely to settle in? Feel between himself and Forde one should settle on 10 and one On 12. Feel Forde should look at 12 long term

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

hes played 200 minutes the last 2 seasons, 13 games the season before that and 6 games the pervious 2. Awful signing in a small squad and hes not the only one.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Sorry to see Dooley go but he'll be a huge addition to Connacht.

I reckon he will be ousting Buckley from his starting slot and I mean that without any disrespect to Denis.

Dooley is taller, heavier, younger and offers a good bit going forward. Has always had tidy footword

Think it’s a shoot out between tuimuague and robertson McCoy now for the final tight head spot. Tuimuague would probably be cheaper and has Shown a bit more for me tbh. Would like to see him kept on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good signing. I would have preferred him over Ed Byrne at Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Loosehead

Denis Buckley (32) - Signed contract in 2021

Matthew Burke (25) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Peter Dooley (28) - Signed contract in 2022

Jordan Duggan (24) - Signed contract in 2021

Tietie Tuimauga (28) - Signed contract in 2021

Charlie Ward (22) - Academy year 2

Tighthead

Jack Aungier (23) - Signed contract in 2022

Finlay Bealham (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Sam Illo (21) - Signed 2 year contract in 2021

Greg McGrath (25) - Signed contract in 2021

Dominic Robertson-McCoy (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Hooker

Shane Delahunt (28) - Signed contract in 2021

Dave Heffernan (31) - Signed contract in 2021

Jonny Murphy (30) - Signed contract in 2021

Dylan Tierney-Martin (23) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

Declan Adamson (23) - Academy year 3

Eoin De Buitléar (20) - Academy year 2

Lock

Oisin Dowling (25) - Signed contract in 2022

Leva Fifita (33) - Signed contract in 2021

Darragh Murray (21) - Signed contract in 2022

Niall Murray (22) - Signed contract in 2021

Gavin Thornbury (28) - Signed contract in 2021

Back row

Ciaran Booth (22) - Signed contract in 2022

Paul Boyle (25) - Signed contract in 2021

Jarrad Butler (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Eoghan Masterson (29) - Signed contract in 2021

Sean Masterson (24) - Signed contract in 2021

Oisin McCormack (21) - Signed contract in 2022

Josh Murphy (27) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Conor Oliver (26) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Cian Prendergast (22) - Signed contract in 2021

Donnacha Byrne (21) - Academy year 2

Scrumhalf

Caolin Blade (28) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

Kieran Marmion (30) - Signed 3 year contract in 2020

Colm Reilly (23) - Signed contract in 2021

Will Reilly (u22) - Academy year 1

Outhalf

Jack Carty (30) - Signed 3 year contract in 2022

Conor Fitzgerald (24) - Signed contract in 2021

Cathal Forde (20) - Signed contract in 2022

Centre

Bundee Aki (32) - Signed 3 year central contract in 2020

Shayne Bolton (22) - Signed contract in 2021

Tom Daly (29) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Tom Farrell (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Shane Jennings (21) - Signed contract in 2022

Peter Robb (28) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Back 3

Mack Hansen (24) - Signed 2 year contract in 2021

Matt Healy (33) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

Diarmuid Kilgallen (22) - Signed contract in 2022

Oran McNulty (22) - Signed 2 year contract in 2022

Ben O'Donnell (27) - Signed contract in 2020

Tiernan O'Halloran (31) - Signed 2 year contract in 2020

John Porch (28) - Signed 1 year contract in 2022

Peter Sullivan (24) - Signed contract in 2021

Alex Wootton (28) - Signed contract in 2021

Josh O'Connor (21) - Academy year 1

IN: Peter Dooley (Loosehead, Leinster), Darragh Murray (Lock, Academy), Ciaran Booth (Back row, Academy), Oisin McCormack (Back row, Academy), Josh Murphy (Back row, Leinster), Cathal Forde (Centre, Academy), Shane Jennings (Centre, Academy), Diarmuid Kilgallen (Back 3, Academy)

OUT: Ultan Dillane (Lock, La Rochelle), Abraham Papal'i (Back row, Brive), Sammy Arnold (Centre, Brive)

*ages as at 01/09/2022

Any update on Delahunt ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭testtech05

Disappointing to see Hansen dropped for this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

With Dooley's arrival, Burke's progress, and Buckley's recovery we look fairly solid at LH now. Duggan's performances have varied.

The weakness now appears to be at TH. When Finlay is absent, or has done his 50 minutes, what do we have? Aungier's performances have been mixed. DRMc hasn't played much rugby this year, but scrummaging is not his strong point (I've mentioned before Friend calling him ashore right for a scrum just befroe half time in Rainbow cup tie against Munster). Tietie has looked strong when they've played him at TH, so I'd prefer to see him retained and made concentrate on that position. He also looks very game and committed. I'm sorry they haven't given Illo more of a shot, he's on a senior contract and we shouldn't be giving those out to then treat players as if they were in the Academy. Not sure where things stand with Greg McGrath, he was thrown in at the deep end and did his best.

Overall I'd have Tietie duking it out with Aungier as number 2 TH.

• Advertisement

Its been a very eventful season for him he would need a break

Advertisement