Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DAA got their wish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

This is BS stupidity from DAA.

All these extra costs only serve to annoy and alienate customers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wouldn’t have so much of an issue with it if they’d have left it until the Metro was up and running, in 2076 but the fact is the provision for public transport to and from the airport is and always has been fücking dreadful…. means that ‘some’ people have to use lifts…

where I live, if I was to get to the airport via bus… I’ve a 10 minute walk to the bus stop with bags, 15…minute bus journey, get off…5 minute walk to another stop 12 minute bus journey… with cases that’s no fun…add another 10-15 minutes waiting for said buses…60-70 minutes on buses if you factor in wait times …vs 15 minutes off peak and 20 minutes in peak traffic….roughly 3 times the time and multiple more times hassle…

taxi drivers on the other hand will be pissing themselves with glee…another example of how this state and business people are totally against ordinary citizens…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

It wouldn't be so bad if it was an effort to prevent people just parking up at arrivals for an extended period.

Have something like 1st 15mins free and charge for anything over that. Would stop people turning up too early and just hanging around, taking up space and creating needless traffic.

But if it's going to be a standard charge regardless of time it takes to collect, it's a disaster and another expense to factor in.

That would cost them money though… to monitor, enforce and implement, instead they get the outcome they want with people paying for the privilege… I’ll be a lot less free and easy with my money once I arrive at the airport…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

I'd get public transport no problem but bringing 2 bike boxes and cases makes it a pain in the arse now but i'd rather walk from the road then give them a cent more cause next we will be charged to Q into places due to valuable footpath space taken, if the drop off is time based with no charge great but dropping of a loved one etc and getting charged is the issue and how would someone outside Dublin get public transport to the airport, Fingal CC must be getting a cut of the profits

• Advertisement

No need to monitor it. Put in a barrier, get ticket, if less than 15mins, just use ticket to leave, if more than 15 go to pay station. Simple.

That system is in use in the Pavilions in Swords and a shopping centre in Blackrock. Was always handy for me when doing deliveries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There is a free drop off area as part of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

There will be free parking in the red zone for people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭NBar

https://youtu.be/8CPbZ9z7UR4

yeah in the red long term car park where you still will end up paying i bet to use the bus cause only way into that is via a barrier system, either ay its more cost to fly out of or into this country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Airports allover England had this as long as I can remember. Nice little earner for them and a constant revenue stream.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Munich airport have had this for as long as I can remember too.

Frankfurt airport allow you take a ticket at the barrier and if you are gone in 10 minutes there is no cost and unlike this is an airport with excellent bus, local rail and long distance rail connections on site.

10 minutes free at the terminal doors: https://www.frankfurt-airport.com/en/transport-and-parking/parking/drop-off-area.html

This is a barefaced money-making wheeze for a vital piece of infrastructure which is in public ownership.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Private cars aren't permitted into the arrivals area - only buses and taxis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

That exact system is in place in Cork Airport. Very effective and essentially leaves it up to the driver as to how long they want to stay.

Departures then. Up the hill where there are multiple lanes for a one way system and where the drop off area currently is. I'm sure ya knew what I meant 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It's just a money making racket, sustainable travel bollox. Let's all walk or cycle to the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

All stealth taxes etc are wrapped up in this Sustainability bollox these days! If they were all really interested in sustainability the metro would be built by now…

they want to reduce cars as part of a green initiative, ok…

say I lived in Howth…

The published transit times by private and public transport are the following…

Car 18 minutes

buses… none direct, 2 buses with bags over one hour.

train and bus… over one hour

Taxi…2 people, bags, tips.. both ways… 70 euros total, 35 each way including booking fee and very modest tip.

they don’t have any care about a green initiative, they have airlines on their apron using ground support equipment like tugs, catering trucks, tractor units, cars, and more besides, belching smoke and carbon into our environment .

then there are the aircraft themselves..

its a revenue generator, nothing else…

belching out crap about the environment is hogwash…€€€€

a revenue generator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If your neighbour/family member can pick you up/drop you off for free at the Red Parking Zone and there is a free bus to/from the Terminals is that not a fairly good option?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

Not really a good option because you then have to stand and wait for a shuttle bus to bring you to the terminal, and the bus drops you a fair bit away from the entrance if I remember correctly. It would be a lot of hassle tbh. You just want to get dropped at the drop off zone and go straight inside. It would actually double the journey time for a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭NSAman

Try that with luggage three kids and a few push chairs...:)

1.3km to red car park. now there will be buses trundling over and back. electric or diesel the environmental saving will be nil. It is a pure money making wheeze.

I get that it is a bit more hassle but it's much the same as for anyone who left their car in the car park and paid for the privilege and it's free.

dont spend a cent more then you need to when you get inside the airport, they want to put a gun to your head, put one back at theirs, when their vendor retailers are down money and struggling to meet the rental contract… that might be a wake-up call for them…

I was always the type to grab a beer, meal, gift, reading material if a solo / work trip and drinks for the flight at the airport..

so about 100 euros give or take….

Just 1000 people a day traveling out start being a little more conscious of being ‘held up’ in this manner…..that’s 100,000 a day give or take less revenue going through the airport…

the DAA want to ‘gouge’ people which is precisely what this is, hit ‘em where it hurts.

In 2019 the daa according to their numbers made a €150 million profit… yet, they want to nickel and dime people who are dropping off the very clients who are making that profit ? that’s pretty fûcked up behavior…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭alexonhisown

People dropping off are not the problem, it’s people who sit at departures waiting on people to arrive that are the problem.

Or they clog up the petrol station until they get a call to go up. I sit in airside retail park until I get a call, it’s about a 3 min drive to get to departures, no need to sit in your car, sometimes 3 lanes of them at departures.

although they were probably going to bring this in no matter what.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A good few years ago I was waiting for a lift at the end of the departures ramp. The only people who parked up and left their cars had Dublin Airport badges.

Why can't they do a "Cell Phone" lot like a lot of US airports. Having a car drive to the Red car park is no better for the environment than the ramp and they will need a lot more buses to transport people from the ramp to the car park. Its not like the buses are empty at peak times and I always found the DAA buses terrible compared to Quickpark. I rarely waited more than a few minutes for a bus in Quickpark, 10 minutes or more for the DAA bus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Phil.x

They're going to need a lot more busses as any time I've paid and parked in the red carpark and got the shuttle bus it was out the door and some people are left behind. But that's alright as the motorist will pay again for these new buses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Why do drivers feel entitled to get all their sh1t for free? Buses and taxis pay a levy to access the airport, so why shouldn’t drivers pay a contribution towards the facilities they use?

Gotta laugh at the folks paying a good chunk of their disposable income to spin around in their massive SUVs, with four empty seats much of the time, dropping a couple of grand on their city break, whinging about paying a couple of quid for parking.

If you don’t like the charge, then fly less often or drive less often or both. Your grandchildren will thank you for it,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Plenty people do this who use the red carpark while they're away?

Can't see what the problem is, I've never been more than 10 minutes getting from car to terminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I see cars left parked on outskirts of airport. People walk to the terminals.

Its like an Olympic sport, who can beat the DAA at their own game.

Alongside the Coachman's inn, is a popular spot. On grass verge outside green long term carpark, although they blocked this recently with big embankments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the notion that it has anything to do with sustainability is laughable; it will not change a thing for 99%+ of people in how they get to the airport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,653 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Bingo

I'm a regular down there, 2 brothers in UK who (non-covid times) fly home for the odd weekend.

One of us shoots down Friday night and picks them up and then drops them to the early Monday flight.

The car will still be on road for the 60k road trip. It'll just be to a destination 1km further away!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

i'm ok with it if it reduces the ridiculous traffic at the drop off area. People too cheap to pay for collection parking are to blame really those shower sitting in the drop off area for ages waiting for someone to come out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The solution is simple wheather you are picking someone up from the airport or dropping them off you may just do it in the City Centre and let them get the bus to or from the airport simple if you do not want to pay the toll now. That is unless its cheaper for you to pay the toll than them getting a bus. There is always options do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Most airports in the World have something similar.

You can be sure taxi drivers are also pushing for this, a few clever people get taxis to collect from the drop off area and the taxi men don't like that at all as they are paying the fee's to use the airport.

As mentioned above the issue is the mayhem most days at the drop off with people parking up for 30-40 mins to collect people. Why in this day & age they can't wait out the road and then come in to collect is beyond me

DAA was always a shower of robbin bastids by the way

I know when I was a child, I was glad to be driven to school and so was every other child that was driven.

I certainly would not have thanked my parents for putting me on the back of a bike like a pauper while the car was sat on the drive.

How pathetic it must look arriving to the airport dripping in water and struggling to carry bags if there was a choice of getting dropped to the door.

Like a pauper!

Do you spend your whole life worrying about what the cool kids think of your appearance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭User1998

There is the other alternative, employ someone to move cars along who are waiting too long. Drop off is just that .. drop off.

pick up on main floor where drop off is, should be moved until person is ready to be picked up. It would have been smarter to have pick up road on arrivals area in terminal 2 but you have to work with what you have.

works fine in most American airports, they have a “cell phone lot” where people wait until called.

this is indeed money grabbing by DAA.

some people here seem happy that DAA are adding more charges to the airport…it’s expensive enough as it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,272 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Have often been left to the airport in the past and had nowhere to pull in to be let out because of **** using the drop off area as free short term parking. Always pis$ed me off that they would never police it.

Those people are already there, trying to move drivers along, but entitled drivers just ignore them. Why should bus passengers be paying a share of the costs to manage drop off facilities for motorists.

Only use terminal 2 have never seen them at all. Not once and I would be a frequent traveller. Busses also use a seperate lane in T2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Times have changed. It's now paupers who feel they have to show people they have a car. People who feel they don't have to prove anything use bikes.

Good luck parking your bike and getting yourself and your luggage on a bike to the airport 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

There's nothing wrong with the basic premise but it sounds like an expensive ill-thought out scheme. It really is the problem of getting there and the smug promotion of the fairly atrocious public transport links in the press release.

I'm lucky to be able to do either at any time of day but have jumped on that 16 many a time, the most frequent airport bus, as it completes its grand tour of the northern suburbs of Dublin with bewildered passengers checking Google Maps to see where Dublin city centre is. Judging by some of the comments here quite a lot would find it hard to get a single bus, especially for early flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Thats exactly what the guys at work were saying today.

We all used to have a couple of pints in the airport, now you just dont spend in the airport and you are even.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

Not really,the companies are paying rent for the properties in the airport but you not buying wont hit DAA but hit the companies who are trying to keep doors open and staff employed

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Subzero3

Why don't they just put a few salad boxes on the windows and sell them to the Yanks.

But you still didn't get to enjoy the couple of pints.

Nice feeling having one or two when you don't have to drive after 🙂

• Advertisement
Advertisement