Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your thoughts on the fertiliser price s for 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

If you were a Ukrainian farmer now must be a nightmare ….must be a shortage of seed ,fertiliser ,spray and fuel ….for crops already in how will they be harvested and where will they be sold ….and what’s the Russians plans for areas they have control of …massive uncertainty for us here but pails in total insignificance when u see what Ukrainian farmers and people are going through

• Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭straight

I'd be better off on social welfare like you. 😂😂

I reckon getting crops in the ground are the least of their thoughts right now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Is it definitely confirmed about sowing a wheat crop or whatever it is supposed to be?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Was reading somewhere over weekend that they are planting but only during daylight …they don’t want to plant at night with lights on to draw attention from Russian drones and bombers …they reckon at best unless things change less than half of there spring crops will be planted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,611 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭older by the day

I don't think so. They will just warn about shortage coming up. I don't have a clue about grain. I remember my uncle growing it long go. He seemed to be " above in the loft turning" every day I went up. There will be a shortage of nuts. So what would be a good replacement for milkers/dry cattle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Looking at eu gas prices this morning they'd be better placed to drag in Eamon Ryan and get the BNM plants up and running again and hire in independent contractors to start harvesting peat as soon as possible, given we are on a war time footing it's illogical not to get these plants back going

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭cute geoge

There is no plants there to start up .They were sold off to Germany last year to be used over there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Lot of animals dying over there, piggeries for one. Food can't be imported in and the staff have gone to fight in the war.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,855 ✭✭✭straight

Mandatory Cereal Sowing.

Ahead of Tuesdays planned meeting between McConalogue and select Farmer Representative Organisations, we in Independent Farmers want to make our position abundantly clear.

While disappointing it’s not surprising, yet again Independent Farmers are not invited to Tuesdays meeting. DAFM and this Minster don’t want to hear an honest assessment of the state of farming. Only those with declining membership, the “Yes Men Organisations” have been invited.

Up to last week, this same Irish Government;

Ignored farmers pleas for a cut in carbon taxes.

Ignored farmers pleas for supports in the face of escalating input costs

Ignored famers pleas to abandon their discriminatory attacks on so called “inactive” farmers

Ignored farmers pleas to tackle the Beef Cartel

Ignored farmers pleas for credit from carbon sequestration

That has unfairly vilified Irish Farmers for overstated methane emissions

That has removed straw and milled peat as a valuable bedding material for our livestock

That has unilaterally cut our Single Farm Payment by 25%

That wants farmers to forgo productive land use and plant trees instead

That wants farmers with carbon rich soils to consider rewetting their land

That want to introduce wolves and risk the lives of our children and young farm animals

That has reintroduced white tailed eagles to prey on our lambs and young farm animals

And the list goes on….

And now, suddenly, on the back of Vladimir Putin’s invasion of Ukraine, the Irish Government want the same Irish farmers that they have been blackguarding for years, irrespective of land type, irrespective of stocking rate etc. to turn our enterprises upside down and plant cereals “in the national interest”. What arrogance...

We in Independent Farmers are very annoyed at the despicable conduct of this Irish government over recent years toward Irish farmers. Considering this, we cannot see how any farmer representative organisation, or any Irish farmer would cooperate in any way with the Government on this. We certainly won’t….

Why doesn't McConalogue ask Eamon Ryan if he wouldn’t mind setting wheat in his window boxes!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

And according to that letter we got last week 2023 will see further cuts to the sfp at which stage some farmers will be wondering why bother with the **** and all the hassle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭DBK1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sure inflation is beating the living shi7 out of the BPS as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I am not allow post anymore... god we are a sensetive lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

I was also told i insulted... shower of children...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,837 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Who has won a drunken cheer—

The witty man and his joke

Aimed at the commonest ear,

The clever man who cries

The catch cries of the clown,

The beating down of the wise

And great Art beaten down...

Truly you are great art beaten down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

Well said, some people think farming is just throwing magic beans into the ground especially some of these clowns in the European Union. Whats worries me is how far out of touch these chief policy makers with how food is produced. They all know dam well how its processed and shipped but the actual raw production of food I really dont think they have a notion. What's your though on Christine Lagarde, in my opinion an idiot that's still thinks inflation is transitory and wont admit she's wrong.

Pinsnbushings you seem a knowledgeable and grounded person I have linked a report by the IMF below on Financial Repression it might interest you. If you read the introduction it is quite identical to what is happening now. It is basically a way of reducing government debt by allowing low interest rates along with a higher inflation rate. This leaves you with a net effect negative interest rate and over time reduces the EU debt. Europe has been doing this since 2011 but what hinders this debt reduction model is a sudden inflation shock (prime covid stimulus and energy crisis now). Thats why they will not rise interest rates to fight inflation because they don't care about the normal joe they want steady high (3-4%) inflation and low interest rates (0-1%) to reduce their debt burden. This is all grand until a big energy crisis comes and turbo charges inflation which may tip this model into a hyperinflationary spiral this would be scary.

"To deal with the current debt overhang, similar policies have re-emerged in the guise of prudential regulation rather than under the politically incorrect label of financial repression. Moreover, the process where debts are being “placed” at below market interest rates in pension funds and other more captive domestic financial institutions is already under way in several countries in Europe. In addition, some European countries have already imposed capital controls" - taken from the conclusion of that report above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭older by the day

I was listening to the radio today and they were saying the recent oil/gas increase will not be felt on the ground for a few weeks. Tis time to be turning off the media and burying the head in the sand I think. It will be a hungry old year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,228 ✭✭✭Grueller

Time to sleep under the diesel tank with a wicked dog and a shotgun

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

would it make any sense to buy a good size tank and stock up? maybe it would be like buying gold too dear but at least you would have it and paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Hindsight is mighty but pity we didn’t do that last year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭farmertipp

I rang rep a few weeks ago to ask him if I should as I read somewhere that it could hit 1.50 by summer. pre Ukraine. he said he couldn't recommend it. o well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,035 ✭✭✭alps

• Registered Users Posts: 24,450 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They let themselves down a bit at the end with rubbish about man eating wolves and eagles flying off with sheep etc.🙄. Credible arguments are needed in this space not Hyperbole that turns off non-farming folks with a bit of commonsense

Advertisement