Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,658 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Looking at the Russian Military as it stands im pretty certain that NATO/the West never really had anything to fear, what a sh1tshow they are. All talk it was, Western Technology & Military is vastly superior by decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

being that they're clever enough not to try and demolish a first world country full of white people, knowing the kind of international condemnation that would bring.

That's an odd statement to say the least

Why silly, though?

I mean, during "World War 2", there was no decisive time that was agreed for the beginning and end of the war; it was a matter of history.

The Ukraine invasion by Russia could and should easily be conceived as the start of, or part of, the initial phase of a potential global conflict.

I doubt Crawford would reference it unless it had some significance.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Russia has never really set up for air superiority , they have had the same doctrine forever overwhelming numbers and firepower straight off the bat on the ground and everything else Falls into place ,then it's a case of bombing the civilian population into submission,they didn't even learn their lessons from Georgia ,most of the bombs dropped missed their Targets and and Fair percentage of weapons dropped failed to explode ,,

I firmly believe if Russia went against Nato now they would lose most of their airforce fairly quickly along with naval assets , even look at their naval assets they are heavily armed essentially floats artillery ,but they fire everything in one massive volley ,they might take a couple of stationary vessels out , but then it's all over as a single anti ship missles or cruise missile sinks them.even their infantry is the same Barrel out of armoured vehicle firing aks full auto to overwhelm an opposing force ,they still end up in the open with little or other tactics and end up getting picked off ,their overall doctrine is firmly rooted in the 50's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I know you feel you have a flair for the dramatic, but really you just come across like another Boyd Barrett wannabe, screeching and wailing and shaking your fist at the world because of some perceived injustice.

Ans as you so eloquently put it, I'd rather my version, than your version, where you cower in a corner while your wife and daughter are gang raped for fun by some perverted soldiers on a power trip, or blown to bits by mines walking a 'humanitarian corridor'.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Takes what view?

That obliterating the entire human species is a larger price to pay than Putin reestablishing the soviet union?

Would you rather die slowly from radiation poisoning than see Putin erect a new iron curtain?

What's happening in Ukraine is horrific, Nuclear war is the end of everything.

If you're going to be glib at least educate yourself a little first.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

Paratroopers. Apparently they also heard people were talking sh*t on boards and are out for some payback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

yep, russia are now at the north korea level - not a conventional war threat to any noteworthy military but dangerous as they have nukes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Not a conventional threat?

They've razed entire cities in the Ukraine in a matter of days with **** logistics. They are absolutely a threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Not suggesting we censor it. Russia is doing enough of that. It's just how the world is now. Information overload is its own curse when lack of information used to be the problem. But yes, CA is a bit like a topical pub chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Remember how Russia said they were absolutely NOT planning to invade about 12 days ago?

What the past few days has shown is that they cannot project their conventional forces very far, not without the massive, unhindered movement by rail within their own borders that allowed them to amass several large armies along the border.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Given that Ukraine is a non-NATO, I suppose there's no concrete reason why Russia couldn't drop a small nuke somewhere on Ukraine (that's 'small' as nukes go). This would be in the circumstance where they insist on fighting an unwinnable war that sees their ability to finance a standard ground invasion vastly diminished, due to sanctions, and the Ukrainians getting a constant supply of shiny new weapons, plus many ethnic Ukrainians and foreign fighters coming back to fight the good fight, and many mini Stalingrads taking place throughout the country.

In this situation, you would have a kind of protracted stalemate, and Russia's name would already be dirt on the international stage, so would Putin say, 'f*ck it'? It would certainly be a most extreme scenario. Not that I see it getting to that point. Cooler heads must prevail sooner rather than later, but I don't know how Ukraine and Russia will ever have good relations in any of our lifetimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,641 ✭✭✭standardg60

100%

'But what if he uses nukes, then we all might die. Best let him kill those other people because they're not me or mine'

Maybe Russia jumped the gun ,

China have gone a massive militarisation over the last decade and jumped way ahead of Russia in military deployments why else would china need 10 -20 aircraft carrier and hundred of long range bombers to protect themselves ,or to bring their military to other countries who don't agree with their way of doing things,they are not just trying to counter the US in the region they are planning a massive power projection ,I'm sure they are sitting there wondering why they are cosying up to putin when he's just proved to the world , Russia hasn't got the ability to fight a real war outside of their own border .let alone getting into a fight with China and NATO , Japan and Korea and other asian players.

They've sophisticated nuclear warheads, in submarines and elsewhere, that could literally end civilisation.

Putin's threats should be taken seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

WOW! So let Putin take back all the former USSR countries under Russian ownership?

Your defeatist attitude is laughable please don't become a politican!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭threeball

Ands that's why they should hit them now. Rather than sit back and watch thousands get slaughtered. Drive them back into Russia but don't go within 20km of their border.

Failure won't be allowed in Russia and Putin will be toppled. They'll also get the benefit of weakening the Russians even further. If putin gets to walk away from this his next move will be to push as much money into his military as he can. Its been shown to be weak and he won't allow that to stand.

The west have their chance to ensure he's gone before that happens.

• Advertisement

We are talking at cross purposes here. The soldiers and rapes and mines are in Ukraine.

We are in Ireland. There are no enemy soldiers in Ireland, nor will there be. However, Putin’s war on Ukraine could result in Ireland and most of the western world being nuked from Moscow over the next few weeks if the rhetoric on both sides isn’t toned down, or if there is a miscalculation or escalation. I am worried about the plausible scenario of nuclear bombs falling on Ireland in the next weeks or months, not some wild imagining of what you would do if you were faced with a platoon of Russian soldiers breaking down your door.

I took you to mean that you are willing to have Ireland nuked as a consequence of the current Ukraine War if Putin escalates things with the west that far.

And I stand by my belief that nothing - nothing at all - could ever justify the deaths of the world’s children in a nuclear war, just so you could take down a bully. Do you believe it’s acceptable to destroy the world to save it? If you do, you are the very picture of a wild man screaming through the keyhole. A ghoul of the highest order.

But they haven't raised entire cities in days , they have bombed areas yes and they have done damage but they certainly haven't raised cities to the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

She said "we are already in World War 3" right?

We are at Day 11 of a Russia v Ukraine war. It is a silly needless comment. She is making no sense. There is nothing to suggest it will escalate into WW3 and a nuclear war.

To your point, WW2 had a fairly definite start point. Hitler invaded Poland on September 1. In response, Great Britain and France declared war on Germany on September 3, at 11:00 AM and at 5:00 PM, respectively. 

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Just a reminder that Threads is public domain and free to stream on Archive.org

He put off his invasion so that it wouldn't make the Olympics awkward for China. Is it plausible he would carry out a unilateral nuclear strike because he's a sore loser? There is no incentive for Russia to launch a nuclear strike, only extremely severe downsides.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,658 ✭✭✭storker

We've seen a lot of destroyed and damaged buildings, so many that I'll admit on occasion I get a surprise to see a Ukrainian city neighbourhood that looks relatively undamaged, but I'm not so sure about razing entire cities. Razing an entire city is a lot more work than one might think, even with modern weapons. The Luftwaffe bombed London for months and didn't even come close. It took RAF Bomber Command at least two years (I'm going from memory here) to raze the number of German cities they did, with many requiring numerous "visits", and that was with a massive fleet of British and American bombers.

(Open to correction here by anyone better informed about the extent of damage in Ukraine or modern Russian city-smashing capabilities.)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭threeball

They have them and have already shown he won't use them. He threatened unimaginable consequences for those that helped Ukraine. Where are those? He asked for the nuclear arms to be readied. They weren't. He a psycho but he's not stupid. Everyone on that chain will have to be happen in the knowledge that their kids, parents, wives will never see another day. It's all big talk until you're told to kill 8 billion people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Realistically we are in year 8 of a Russia v Ukraine war.

The protests in Russia against their invasion aren't even on Putin's radar and those attending are seen as being influenced by Western media by other members of the population.

Sure in the cities you will have people who will economically feel the affect of sanctions in terms of a change in lifestyle etc, but in rural areas its not going to be felt as much of a difference for a while.

If you are talking of an actual revolution by the people to get rid of Putin, similar to 1917 revolution against the Tzar, the people would need significant sections of the police and military to support them, and I don't see that happening soon or in the medium future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

I said they are not a threat to a noteworthy military - china, the US, France, UK, India etc would be supremely confident after observing this mess.

Also not aware of any city that has been "razed".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement