Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu - General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,335 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭barryribs

It looks like its set for the 20th of September back indoors. Hopefully it lasts a bit longer than last time!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Yes... And I note that it's without restrictions if everyone is fully vaxxed... But if it's mixed then it's pods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I started back last Wednesday, I adhered to all the restrictions and done my part but quite frankly, when I saw the crowds at Croker, that was the final straw. The fact that you can go to a pub and drink yourself senseless (if you have been vaccinated), but you can't do something that's actually healthy and beneficial, is just mind-boggling.

I have been 100% compliant with the restrictions as I want to be a part of the solution, not the problem. I know many clubs that never really stopped, they just went off the radar, but I was never a part of that. I believe in the vaccines and I believe the restrictions were necessary, in the beginning. I have been hit hard by this pandemic... my business has been knocked back 5 years, if not more, but I sucked it up for the greater good.

Now, the restrictions make no sense at all and I can't rely on our elected officials to make the right calls because they only seem to be focused on those who shout the loudest, or those who lobby the most. I couldn't care less about the pubs, going to festivals, going to matches, etc - all I want is to keep myself healthy and train. When I can't trust our elected officials to make the calls, then I am going to make them myself.

I posted about clubs reopening but, on reflection, I deleted it. I'm not a club owner and since the situation seems to be resolving itself at this stage, it's all good.

Post edited by Black Sheep on

• Advertisement

Never as happy as I was today to wake up in bits, with a load of mat burn

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭rondog

Have been Diagnosed with a pinched nerve in the shoulder.Pain in the.......

Was getting some momentum going in training and really enjoying it.

Im seeing a physio but was wondering if anyone had a pinched nerve previoulsy?WHat action they took?

Its an annoying feeling having pins and needles down the arms and the shoulder pain that goes with it.Im wondering if people returned from a PN or if htey gave up?

Cant give you and medical advice but only my own experience.

I had a trapped nerve in my neck, which led to a weakness in my right arm, had pins and needles in my little and ring finger. Mine stems from my neck/shoulder (winged scapula) which I've injured too many times to remember. I stuck to the exercises from the physio religiously and I'm back to where I was before the previous injury. I still get neck/shoulder pain from time to time and I don't think I'll ever be 100% but I've no weakness or numbness any more.

To clarify- have you got a diagnosis that what's going on is cervical radiculopathy?

You're not going to be able to get medical advice on the forum, but yeah, there are a few people in the Irish BJJ scene who have continued training after a cervical disc bulge or even full-on herniation. Some of them managed their problems with conservative treatment, some of them got cervical discectomy, fusion etc.

But yeah, also some people do quit BJJ because of disc issues, that's an option.

Yes,had a diagnosis from a medical professional that its CR,not looking for any advice on training or anything else,just wondered if people had this condition previously and if they threw in the towel or took steps to get back on the mats.

Be good to hear from people who had CR and what steps they took,i wont be taking these steps as what to do to recover (Have a good physio whos helping me out), and how long it took them.Basically just peoples experiences .

• Advertisement

I'll DM you, but yeah, I came back after a few years off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

I went back after the covid layoff last month. Was great to be back, loved the atmosphere in the gym again, seeing all the old heads, and having a laugh with the coach. Got manhandled by everyone but its all good, as to be expected after a year and a bit off the mats. A few weeks back, i break or fractured a rib wile rolling. Not sure which as i didnt get an xray of it, but its definitely one or the other. Almsot 4 weeks later now and still hurts just lying down. I tried doing some bench pressing yesterday and the pain in my side literally just lying on my back was bad enough that i had to stop. It sucks, im 42 now, and only train as a hobbyist as i love the sport, im not competitive, just enjoy training and learning, but injuries like this have me questioning if its all worth it sadly. Think if i do go back after this im probably one more bad injury away from retiring altogether

IN Fairness, its not a great idea to go training with a fractured/broken rib.

Would you not get it professionally diagnosed and then rest up until it heals and slowly return to training.

At our age,40+ we need to listen to our bodies and train within our capacity if we want longevity.

Im older than you and try to reduce the number of hours i roll and if there anything niggling me I get it checked out and rest up until it clears.

Currently training thru a pinched nerve but have drastically reduced intensity and time on the mat.

Sorry, maybe i worded that wrong, i got my rib jacked up 2 weeks after going back to training. The pressure of having anyone on my chest would be way too much to bear at the moment. Havent been able to train since. All ive been doing is a bit of light weightlifting or bodyweight exercises in the meantime.

Bruised / fractured ribs are super common, I've had them three times. Each time, the first 2-3 weeks feel like there's no way I could return to the mats. I remember driving home one day and even changing the gear in the car was making me wince, it's one of those injuries that can affect everything you do. But around the 3-4 week mark things should start to look up.

If it's particularly bad it's possible that it's more of an intercostal tear, ironically those can be more painful than a facture. The treatment is the same for any of them though - just time, basically.

Although uncomfortable, it's not a serious injury that is going to retire you - would be more worried about serious knee, shoulder or spinal injuries on that score.

Yeah i had bruised ribs before. Was uncomfortable but nothing terrible. This was definitely a fracture or a break tho (i didnt get it xrayed as i figured theres not much can be done for it either way). 5 weeks later and im only able to lie on my left side in bed now. I know its not a retirement injury alright, its more just at the age im at these things take so long to heal, im missing out on regular gym time, the wife has a chuck liddel esque look in her eye when i mention im going back to training.. and being a pure hobbyist, you start to wonder if its worth it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Hi guys, Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question. I started my 9 and 11 year old kids in our local BJJ club about 3 years ago, they have both progressed up one belt to Grey/White and love the sport. Because of Covid their first competition was cancelled and they were bitterly disappointed. Finally this week they got a chance to compete and the whole day turned into a disaster. Oldest guy was supposed to compete at 34kg but when we weighed him he was 34.3kg and they disqualified him, he was devastated and the guys running the comp were quite rude about it, I asked politely if they could bump him up to 40kg and I was told emphatically no and the guy turned his back and walked away, zero manners. 

Ok this was my fault for not watching his weight even though we putt him in at 34 kg 7 weeks ago, so we just accepted it as hard as it was

What really bothered me was the youngest son who made the weight was paired up with a Grey/Black belt who has had 12 previous competitive rolls and won 10 with 6 submissions, my sons the grey/white belt was very nervous for his first big competitive roll and it showed, the gulf in skill level was evident in the first 10 seconds and it only lasted 40 seconds ending in a swift armbar. Now I accept its a contact sport and I'm not complaining about him getting roughed up but surely this kind of miss matching shouldn't happen, my son was humiliated and in tears and its taking a lot from us as parents to try and convince him to not quit the sport altogether. Surely this is dangerous, my son is by all reports decent at his own level and I'm pretty sure he'd have held his own with another grey/white belt. 

My question is, is this normal practice at competitions or was it a case of greed that they had no one to match him with so instead of giving a refund they put him with a far more experienced kid two belts higher?

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Iguarantee

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear your boys were disappointed, even competing as an adult can be quite stressful so I can only imagine how they felt. I appreciate that kids were involved here, and it would be nice to have a grey area in these situations so that they can experience competition in a positive way.

In BJJ competitions, to keep things as fair as possible the belt, age and weight system is used. I have never run a BJJ competition, but I've competed and been part of the competition staff. There is a significant amount of organisation in running a comp, though the SmoothComp site has made it way easier than it used to be. You're situation with the weight allowance is likely one of a hundred requests the organiser received on the day. Given how much organisation goes into a competition, I can understand why the organiser disqualified your son, but I can't comment on their people skills though, as I wasn't there.

Regarding weights, as an adult there is generally zero allowance/tolerance with weights, you are either the correct weight or you're not. For kids it's a bit more of a grey area as, in my view, kids shouldn't be cutting weight whatsoever. If you're 0.5kg above a weight bracket then just go for the next bracket. In a practical sense, the organiser could have asked the other kid parent(s) if they were ok with fighting your son even though he was 0.4kg above the limit, unless the bracket was stacked, the other kid was probably disappointed that he didn't get to fight too. The weights are also there for safety, 0.4kg at adult level is (usually) negligible, however 0.4kg at 30kg could be significantly more.

For future competitions, I would suggest you only enter your sons into weight divisions they are guaranteed to make. This rules out any chance of weight related disappointment and also gives you and your son the control, as opposed to potentially relying on the benevolence of the tournament organiser on the day, which I can assure you is usually in sparse supply.

Regarding belt levels/experience, the belt levels are a guide rather than a hard and fast rule. For example, I could be a new blue belt and could very well compete against someone that got their blue belt 3 years ago and has won medals up and down the country. That can happen at any belt level. It's up to the opponents coach to decide when to promote. I don't know what the criteria are for kids belt levels but my own experience with adult BJJ is that belt promotions are few and far between i.e. there's no set timeframe or number of fights that qualifies you for promotion. This can result in some large disparities in ability/experience within the same belt level; I've been both the giver and receiver of a one-sided smashing in competition, it's just part of the BJJ game, at adult level anyway.

I would have a chat with your sons coach RE the belt levels in in kids divisions. I'd want my kids to be genuinely challenged, but only in a safe environment. Hopefully the coach will offer some insight into kids belts & divisions that can alleviate your concerns and also manage you and your sons expectations for the next competition.

Thanks for the detailed response @Iguarantee its very much appreciated. The weight issue I get, definitely a safety issue and I take full responsibility. however, if they are that concerned about safety how did they allow a complete novice for his first fight compete against a kid that has had a dozen competitive fight? Surely this is just as dangerous? I was part of the amateur boxing scene in Dublin for many years as a teenager and beyond and have close relatives who coach and there is no way in hell that a kid boxing for the first time in a tournament would be paired up with a kid who has had 12 fights, even 35 years ago when I competed it didn't happen.

How would the tournament organiser know how many fights someone would have had?

There are people at my belt level with hundreds of fights at that level, and there are people with none. Typically it’s the gender, belt, age and weight of each competitor that groups them together. Some tournaments use broad experience levels instead, for example: grappling industries tournaments say you’re “advanced” (the highest level) after three years of training. Most people are still white or blue belts after 3 years, hardly advanced.

• Advertisement

How do you think I found out how many fights the kid had, it was easy, all there online. You're saying pairings are done by age, belt and weight and yet the other kid was two belts higher. I personally think it was a case of no kids signed up at his belt or skill level so rather than give a refund they found the closest match. A combination of laziness, not bothering to check if it was my kids first fight and the other kids 12th and greed, not wanting to give a refund. I totally get your point about people with the same belt colour yet different skill levels given that one can hold a certain belt for years. Using the boxing as an example again, the whole ethos behind coaching is to develop and encourage children to love and enjoy the sport and some go on to excel at it, now if we were to be lazy and greedy about it and just throw kids in with whomever for their first few fights children and parents would become disillusioned with the sport and many would give up altogether. There needs to be better regulation in kids BJJ, complete novices should never be paired up with kids who have had 12 fights and won 8, if the comp holders cant find a suitable match the kid should receive a full refund. The hypocrisy of disqualifying kids for weight in the name of safety and in the same breath allowing a complete novice fight like that.

Didn't cop the belt difference as I've no idea what the structure of kids belts are.

My own presumption: The organiser was busy running a tournament. They joined two divisions to give both kids a fight.

Personally, I'd direct an email to the tournament organiser and I'd ask why mismatching belts are paired up, particularly in kids divisions.

Short of that or short of a satisfactory resolution or explanation, I suggest you don't use that organiser/organisation again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

If its the comp I am thinking of (and the timing is right), this isn't the first time bad mismatches have happened. In a previous comp, a white belt I train with who had no previous competition experience was paired with a guy who had been training MMA for about 5 years. Net result, my team mate got a spiral fracture in his arm after his opponent hit a very fast americana from scarf hold - he didn't have time to tap.

When I saw the footage, I knew this guy wasn't a white belt and a quick bit of digging confirmed my suspicions. I know the organisers are not responsible for sandbagging, but if they are running a competition and charging a decent entry fee, they need to be checking. The worst part was they had no insurance, my team mate was told to talk to his instructor and claim off his club and then when he pressed them, was told he signed a disclaimer - he had to get a load of pins in his arm and was out of work for months. I wouldn't go near their competitions.

Sorry to hear about your pal, that sounds awful. This was exactly my point earlier, safety of children should be paramount and greed and laziness will eventually get someone hurt never mind kids giving up after a mauling.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

Under the kids belt system they were the same belt level. It's grey belt, doesn't matter what version of grey belt it is they're all under the same division. That's how it work all the way up the kids levels. If they had a division for every increment within a kids belt level then the brackets would be small and time wise the competition would take too long to run.

It is tricky though and I find the kids competing more nerve wracking than doing it myself. My 7 year old had her first comp a few months back (grey white), round robin and she was grouped with a while belt, two full grey belts and a grey black. The grey black belt kid had done super fights etc. so it was always going to be an up hill battle, he destroyed everyone in the group, the refs were great though and we're on top of the action preventing any potential injuries.

Reading that I was wondering if they referee to a orange bent or a grey/blavk belt?

If two people enter the same division they’ll be matched up. The experience they have is not a factor. 12 matches is not a lot, you’re son will be there is no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Had my first experience last night with BJJ. To be honest I know absolutely nothing about it. The sum total I know about it is the occasional listening to Joe Rogan talk about how much he loves it, or that old article about it called "The pleasure of drowning" by Sam Harris. (https://www.samharris.org/blog/the-pleasures-of-drowning). So you could not get a more naïve and ignorance first timer than I was last night if you tried I think.

I wanted to sign my kids up to the local school and they talked me into doing it too. So in the interest of getting them into it, I accepted. At the advanced age of 43 and with a bit of a beer belly. School is not bad. You sign up and you can attend any of the lessons they do on anything and just use all their gym equipment. They do kick boxing, Krav Maga, Muay Thai, MMA, normal boxing, power yoga and a few other things for example.

Overall it was a fun experience. Painful but fun.

The worst part was feeling a bit of an idiot. The teacher would demonstrate a move and then we were meant to pair off and take turns doing that move on each other. And I was simply not getting it sometimes. Being shown how to do something about 10 times and then each time when it came to do it, I was getting it badly wrong or forgetting whole parts of it.

Having done a little Karate as a kid I did not expect the final 20 minutes of the lesson which is basically you go full on roll. So for 15 minutes I had three opponents for 5 minutes each. To say I had my ass handed to me would be an understatement. Which, being first day, is to be expected. But amazingly that is a lot of fun. Being manipulated like an old g.i. joe toy and finding yourself in seconds going from being in a stand off position to being on the ground getting chocked out from behind....

I can see how it would put people off but I was popping up again after tapping out saying "again!" because I wanted to see how that had just happened. At one point I was slammed down in a completely unexpected way and was quite rattled but I popped up again happily enough. The other guy asked if I was ok to go on. Think he was half impressed I was more than happy to do so. And my the end of the third session me and my final opponent were knackered and barely able to get up again. But I could tell when I did get up he was looking at me with a look of "Oh no" because he did not have another round in him and I did. So endurance-wise I was quite impressed with myself given the belly and my only other exercise in life is a 2 or 3 times weekly 12k run.

But the shock for me came with my second and third opponent. I asked them how long they had been doing this and they said it was their third lesson. I barely learned anything in my first lesson. How were these guys getting all kinds of moves and choke holds on me after three lessons? One of them did add "And a LOT of you tube videos". Can that make that big a difference? I went in almost entirely blind and ignorant about the sport. So even if I did manage to get someone down on the ground I did not even know what to do with them once they were there or what I was meant to be going for.

So if I am going to keep going to this school (signed up for the initial three months anyway) I would like to augment my progress as much as I can and not be as awful as I was last night. So any input welcome :) Even if I quite after the paid for three months I would like to feel I got as much from the time as I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Hey man. Love reading the above! BJJ is very addictive. There are many people on this forum who are much much more experienced than I am, but let me give you the point of view of someone who, even though I have a blue belt, is essentially a glorified white belt..............

Feeling a bit of an idiot is completely normal for everyone in the room. If you're drilling with a higher belt, I guarantee you that even if they're not as confused as you when doing the technique, they don't see you as an "idiot". They see you as a training partner who they wish to help improve. Everyone in the room started exactly where you are and there will be no feeling of anyone being an idiot. Remember, learning Jiu Jitsu is like learning a language. If you were in language class, a fluent speaker would not expect you to be able to converse with them after their first class. It takes a while.

Feeling clueless while "rolling" is 100% normal. You will feel like this for a long long time. If you're the type who is popping up and wants to go again, you are the perfect type for BJJ in my experience. Why? Because this is going to happen to you for years and years. You will find that by the time your three months come to an end you might not feel like you've gotten any better but you definitely have. One of these days someone new will come in off the street and you'll realise you've been picking things up. SLowly and surely you'll get used to the positions and you will feel like you can handle yourself while rolling. I hear a lot of people say "it takes 6 months" but it's not a hard and fast rule.

Don't be afraid to ask your training partners about what's going on. If your partner catches you in a triangle, ask them what they did. The more you understand what you're getting caught in the more you can defend it when you see it again. Also, the more you know about it down the line when you start doing that to other people.

My top tips would be the following:

• Just turn up!
    • Control your breathing when rolling.
    • Just turn up!!
    • Get comfortable being uncomfortable. There are so many positions where you're not in danger but just feel very uncomfortable. If you can get used to these positions it'll go a long way.
    • You will have bad nights and that voice will pop up telling you that you suck and that you should give up. Ignore that idiot! He doesn't know what he's talking about. I have these nights all the time. Then I go training the following night, have a great night, and ever wonder why I even listened to that voice in the first place!
    • Just turn up!!!

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Dr. Greenthumb

@Mellor

"Reading that I was wondering if they referee to a orange bent or a grey/blavk belt?"

Apologies, I'm not sure I understand the question?

• Advertisement

First of all we’ll dine for giving it a go.

Secondly your experience is entirely normal. Feeling clueless, not sure what to do etc. Normal.

It feels hard at first to take in the 10 details you were shown. As you get better, it’s easier to watch the details, understand them and assemble them into logical groups. So now it’s only 3 or 4 moves.

Advertisement