Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Civil Service - Post Lockdown - Blended Working?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I won't say where it is happening but it is happening in various disparate PS bodies. It may not be happening in your university but it might be happening in a different educational institution. Just an example.

I suspect that every organisation will eventually end up in the same place (full time office work or token wfh) even if some are slower than others to get there.

The exception to this could be the CS which is often far more forward thinking and better organised than other parts of the public sector.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

OK just wondering if you had examples as I dont know any myself - even within other universities. I do know one university that never embraced remote working and everyone was requested to return in full last summer but that never happened thankfully. Even in my own workplace some local managers have attempted to bring staff back full time but unions put a stop to that aswell as our existing remote working policy is still in place.

I dont know if every organisation will end up in the same place - front facing teams are different to other roles. For us it seems the final decision will be with local management - that I think will be the issue.

Some managers are insisting on returning to old ways of working (f2f meetings/everyone in the office etc) - but thankfully they have very limited success yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Why won't you say where it's happening?

I mean, page 18 here has the results of a survey I did, with 75 respondents from 23 civil service departments/organisations and either one or two local authorities. Only people from seven bodies said they had to work from the office 2 to 4 days a week, with most others either working less in the office (1 or 2 days a week); or no change at all in recent weeks (i.e. still WFH fulltime).

There's no way blended working is going to just quietly disappear. I would have been adamant about that before more recent events like Ukraine, but with the rocketing prices of fuel and increasing scarcity in the offing (home heating oil is already being rationed), there's no way on earth we'll be forced back to our 10 commuting trips a week.

absolutely that is why I was asking for examples. Even the examples from my own workplace from some managers attempting to get staff back full time was met with huge resistance from staff, unions and HR. My own workplace has heavily invested in equipment for staff and our students so its a long term investment.

Even colleagues in civil service are still mostly WFH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

Westmeath county council staff asked back to the office 5 days a week, no flexibility whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Also clare county council with having to request blended

There is talk of introducing a hybrid work policy (note that full remote isn't even on the table) based on DPER guidance etc. 

DPER has always been 100% up front from day one, that full time remote working was never going to be on the table.

There was never any ambiguity about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Now that Google/Microsoft/Apple are ordering a April/mid-April return to the office, I can see there being a larger influx of people back to the office as other organisations follow their lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,586 ✭✭✭caviardreams

I really don't see full time on-site work returning to the PS, but I do think the lack of compromise from some people to accept a 3 days on-site position for example and to demand full remote or only one day on-site isn't helping matters.

I think either of the 2 days on-site or 3 days on-site models are good solutions for the coming few years and assess longer term impacts in a "Normal" world and if staff were more open to this is might stop the push to full on-site by a small minority. As others have said, I think fully remote was never going to happen and people need to stop demanding it with a sense of entitlement, as this is rubbing people up the wrong way imo.

5 days back already? If so, Westmeath council leading the way for the first time in its existence!

Don't know much about the councils but I've had dealings with a couple of them (including Westmeath) as a "service user". Shambolic is an understatement. No doubt plenty of good staff in them tearing their hair out.

The councils have been talking a lot about remote working hubs. Westmeath is a commuter county. I'd say they will want to hog Dublin commuters for themselves while at the same time, ordering their own staff back to the office so they'll buy sandwiches in nearby shops at lunchtime.

Also, like many council offices, Westmeath headquarters is a glass palace . Can't be having staff wfh in that case as management will be terrified of looking like fools with empty seats in a multi million euro office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Except that's not what they did.

Google: Hybrid, 3 days in office, 2 "from anywhere"

Microsoft: Hybrid - can't find recent details of any change

Apple: Hybrid, 1 day in office.

So no, no fulltime, no options "mid-April return to the office", in any way, shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭blue_blue

Not sure where you're getting "full-time" out of. "return to office" does not equal full-time.

Apple are 3 days in / 2 days out.

MS don't specify what their hybrid options are but I'd be very surprised if they're not the same 3 in / 2 out as the others.

My point is that we are in a honeymoon phase of 'return to the office' which will become an ultimatum come April/May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

As a private worker and taxpayer, I'd rather have civil servants working at their place of work, rather than at home.

Would you care to disclose who your employer is so we civil and public servants can comment on where we think you should work?

Also, you do realise civil servants are tax payers too?

So tired of this notion that non civil or public servants think they have some kind of right to a say in the terms and conditions of our employment because they are "tax payers".

We're all taxpayers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,867 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Why?

My departments productivity is up. Sick leave is down.

Why would you want us back to work only for us to provide less value to the tax payer (which also includes us)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭Augme

And I'm sure as a private work and tax payer you'd rather civil servants did their job for free. Thankfully you don't get to make those decisions though.

The public service has been "talking" about remote work since at least 2003. I know someone working in network admin in the PS since the mid 90s and he said they were talking about it then too. There was ample time to introduce it in normal times but for the vast majority of public servants, it was never on the table. Same with a lot of other things that have been talked about over the years.

When Covid arrived, management was forced into introducing WFH. Grudgingly.

I think a lot of reasonable people would now accept 2 days in the office and 3 WFH but if the split was the other way, that would be a different story.

As I said above, people in various organisations are being told to return to the office a MINIMUM of three days a week with further return phases to come. Then at some stage come policies based on DPER guidance. We already know that the right to request remote work legislation is useless. The longer it takes to introduce the policies, the worse it will be. People already seem to be forgetting about Covid, the Ukraine situation helps and provides opportunities for distraction, virtue signalling and shaming "Get back to the office and stop complaining, if you were in Ukraine you'd have something to complain about".

The HSE cyber attack was another useful thing.

Telling people who have been working well remotely to "return to work", sloppiness or an attempt at gaslighting people?

Considering the above, IMO it's naive to think that WFH will be anything but a token thing (at best) for most in the future. Even if large numbers of people want it, there are enough dinosaurs in power to stop it. People will be angry but the reality is that most employees are wage slaves and as I said already in this thread, it is very difficult for established public servants to gain private sector employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Ah ok but is that everyone?

Also how is that permitted. The guidance still is a phased return to the workplace not a full and immediate return (that is direct quote from forsa at a recent meeting btw).

I appreciate the things are different in each sector but there is no harm in challenging stuff if staff are willing. As already mentioned I know of attempts to bring back staff full time in my own sector which were successfully challenged but we already have our own policy etc.

what a weird take - what difference does a building make 😂

• Advertisement

agree - I never thought full time remote working was on the table and I think 2 day on site model would be a great compromise. I love working fully remote and I havent been requested to return at all.

Ive done both the 3 day onsite/2 WFH and 2 onsite/3 WFH and 2 days onsite is way better for me.

Working from home was actively encouraged in my Department even before covid , and across all grades. Everyone I know of who applied to work from home was allowed too, I myself was fully set up and working from home one day a week (out of four) and had just agreed with my supervisor to increase to two days a week at home when covid happened. So it did exist pre-covid, at least in the CS.

This is something that comes down to individual departments which we all know vary vastly in some areas and it comes down to senior management attitudes. (As in A/Sec and above). In some departments, staff find it difficult to be approved SWYS or even work sharing patterns / parental leave.

At least a centralised DPER policy may help those in the less flexible departments to fight their cases for more flexibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,291 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Very interesting. I didn’t realise any Dept was doing it officially, even encouraging it. I did know of a few people that had unofficial arrangements, but never heard of a formal policy. Thanks for sharing.

Mine had both a formal policy and a formal application form, which required the applicant to make a case for why their work was suitable to be done frm home. The application had to be approved by line manager and Head of Function. It was based on suitability of work/role, and personal suitablility was also considered. (Sick leave record, etc). HR didn't actively make the final decision on applications, that was done at HOF level and then HR was advised for the personnel file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

Sounds like an enlightened organisation compared to others.

Certainly much more progressive then the average.

I didn't actually realise just how much until covid happened and I started talking to other civil servants about their departments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Hi Loueze, I would be interested to know what Department that is. You could PM me rather than post it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

The Secretary General of my Department emailed staff yesterday indicating a desire for staff to return to three days in the office from April 4th pending the development of the much promised Hybrid Working Policy. As predicted it doesn't look like the policy will be ready for end Q1.

The email was entirely predictable and expected, even if it was unwelcome for many. However, the interesting and unpredictable thing will be what the staff do next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

• Advertisement
Advertisement