Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Exact same thing happened to me - was still in shock at getting teleported there and was stressing out just trying to survive the mobs in there. Of course I choose the wrong path and end up at the boss rather than the entrance/exit. Got smashed about 3 times before I bailed. Thankfully it was early game so only 4k runes lost. Still though, sneaky feckers doing that to you. 😁

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmm, didn't realise there was another way to go and a boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,125 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Thanks for the feedback lads ill wait for the price to drop a bit at least that and I need to finish Dying light 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

absolutely lol. reminds me of this article i read not long ago:

ER is the biggest souls game to date so far - i know so - l lost 100k souls because next level up is like 125k - and i was getting beaten down by normal mobs in the area...

Is it the same in this with levelling where after about 150 it isn't worth it anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I find the open world areas are almost a balm to ease the pain of the typical souls like dungeons. I will often get to a bonfire (or whatever they are called now) dying regularly in a dungeon area, then port out and fly around on Torrent for a while before going back. Mixes things up nicely i find.

Helps that i love the mounted combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I can see the stat gives diminishing return after 60 - standard souls design, while I heard for some class they need like 70 stat to use some spells/equipment. I think for level wise, ER should have a 'higher level cap' - as i am near 120 and i get smashed down so hard in these late game areas - i am guessing maybe they cap it at 170-200 levels

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I've been placing map markers beside dungeons I've cleared but just read on reddit you can put a check on sites if graces to make it easier.

"If you open the map and press Y/triangle a list of sites of graces opens up. If you press R3 (or L3) a check appears near the name of the selected grace. I just found it by accident at 60 hours!"

For those that have finished Redmane castle, the area isn't done having killed the main boss.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Those Virgins don't fvck about...:pac:

Getting plenty of budding cave moss though.

• Advertisement

Ha ha yeah me too, I got sick of dying so tried the other way and worked my way up find a few other nasty surprises. From were you spawn in to the area after being teleported you can drop off to the right after you cross the section in front of you and before going left.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

From where I am, it's either beat the Virgin twins or warp out - there is no up or right that I can see.

Lava all around me.

Yeah you'd have to go back to the bottom of the waterwheel to be put back to the start of the area but you'll be back there later in the game anyway so not like you'll miss out. I meant to try that pair again as theres another fog door behind them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’m absolutely staggered by the amount of bespoke, authored ‘content’ in this game. Sure there are repeated bosses and some more generic dungeons, but there are so many cool little (and some not so little) areas outside of the legacy dungeons it’s quite the feat! Even Breath of the Wild was much more repetitious than this.

It’s set an extraordinary new high watermark for what we should expect from games of this scale and size IMO.

I returned to one such place earlier after a story event and there was the same amount if not more to see, some repetition but the exploration was unreal. I can't make it over there can I, but theres a message, hmm summon horsey, well great now how do I get back with my souls intact.

In another such place underground I could see a site of grace way below so I know theres more to be seen there too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

‘Turtle pope’

…may be my favourite NPC ever.

I just gave my Armor away without checking myself.

Seems linked to

Fia murdering D, met a wretch underground and without thinking much before pressing the button and giving my armor that I was wearing which was D's anyway away. And he seems to mumble Dia or something.

Interesting to see were that goes as it's obviously tied to 2 NPC's now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Killio

Any ideas on how to restart the game on Xbox series x ? I don't like the class I picked ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

That's D's brother - after Rogier is gone from the Roundtable Hold, he leaves a note behind saying that D has a brother, and that he should be somewhere in the Eternal City. So I was kinda looking out for him. Once it mentioned handing over the armour, it clicked that was him.

I just did that a bit earlier myself, curious to see where it leads.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Click New Game on the main menu after you launch the game rather than clicking continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Spent a while last night going on the main path, figured to myself that this must be where the game starts to become more challenging because it's giving me a lot of smithing stones (and sombre stones) so I guess after this is where weapons need to be top notch.

Beat a boss, get to the next site of grace, look at my map.... I wasn't on the main path at all. I'd wandered into a tunnel-type area that was just so different from the other ones I'd found that I didn't cop it.

On the plus side... Yay smithing stones!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Got to play some more last night, gained a few lvls to get my Int up to 12 and can now apply magic to my Uchi, which is up to +6 now I think, longbow at +3. Wandered about on the south island, found some golden seeds and sacred tears and another chest that transported me to some awesome looking city far north - couldn't do much there other than fight some giant and nick some treasure from a chest.

Headed back to Stormveil and managed to make more progress there and think I've reached the main boss - but I can see other routes in there I want to explore too. Crazy how intricate that place is. Still only lvl38 and feel like I've done so much and yet so little at the same time, love it. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

For the first time ever i played a magic class and it really is easy mode for some parts, horse back can be a bit finicky but overall im loving it.

Yeah I'm mostly still katana/samurai, but I've been getting my Intelligence up high enough that I can use more spells, and they can wreck some bosses. One boss in a catacomb I could barely hit, but when I hit him with a glintstone pebble and saw how much of his health it took, I just wrecked him for the rest of the very short fight. Going to keep pumping INT for the next few levels.

Magic is incredible in this game but there are certainly enemies that'll still wreck you. Invaders funny enough tend to be particularly nasty to deal with from range as they dodge roll liberally. I've run into a few optional bosses where my various spells don't make a dent but I'm not sure if that's just because of levelling issues. So far though magic has been super handy for all the main bosses / greater enemies I've encountered (I'm INT level 25 or so and am currently mid Academy storywise).

I would highly recommend Carian Slicer as another spell - hits about two or three times as hard as glintstone pebble if you're willing to get up to melee range, for a tiny FP cost. Can slice through otherwise tricky mobs such as spider hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I feel I've messed up my stats for the Samurai, I went to build up strength and endurance rather than dexterity or vigor.... Now she doesn't have much hit points and gets killed too often. Loath to start again though as I've made some good progress, any thoughts on what the best way forward would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Carian slicer is a MUST for enemies who like to close the gap. I used it on a Runebear boss who was wrecking me when i was trying to used ranged magic.

You can unlock the ability to respec later in the game, so it depends really on how far into the game you are. I'd say if you just start pumping your points into dex and vigor from now on, once you make it to where you can respec you can take the points back out of strength and add them to dex/vigor.

I had put a few points into Faith and Arcane just to bump them up a bit, but when I reached where you can respec I just took them back out as they weren't doing anything for me, so I added them to Intelligence.

Spoiler for where you respec

It's after the final boss in the Academy area in Liurnia. You need an item called a Larval Tear to do it though, can't remember where I picked mine up.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Thanks for that, I really don't want to restart, although it would be still fun to do, I've gotten "fond" of my character now..

Will go for some runes and get the D & V up and hopefully see how it progresses, cheers!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I'm around 65 hours into this now and I can't believe the scope of this game. It's incredible. It just keeps getting bigger and bigger while always being interesting!

Advertisement