Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

From what I've read, there's a percentage (20%?) of people in that regiment who are basically neo-Nazis. It seems like a problem that could be managed.

One thing I've been noticing as well, as much as the Russians have held back in certain places (meeting unarmed protestors) it looks like the Ukrainians are holding back as well in a sense. There's an awful, horrific amount of fighting left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A complete mis reading. Russia is Only 13% but it is a massive exporter, the big beast China, keeps nearly all and has an export imbargo, as does America, a reasonable significant player, most is kept local.

Russia Also controls potash, with 40% of global supply.

The world can manage without Russian oil, tough times but it will, fuel rationing etc.

The big story is the massive shortfall of fertilizer globally.

It will largely only be a problem in the belt above the Equator, Nigeria to Afghanistan. Most countries in that region are not even close to food sufficiency and import Black sea grain and depend on cheap Fertilizer for their own crops, dairy farmers here are struggling to pay for fertilizer and Dairy is largely a big earner, how will Mahmoud afford a tonne of Urea at a 1200 dollars to his door?

Just to give an idea how productive that region is. It grew wheat at yields similar to the grain farms of modern Canada in pre Fertilizer times and a very high quality at that for bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

What's their motto? "We gotta kill all the Jews. Except Zelensky."?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

This thread was excellent in the early stages as a one stop shop for updates and a central place for various social media posts..

Now its a car crash of I know what would happen in a nuclear strike more than you do and other fantasies

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

I don't really want to go off topic in the thread, but your reply merits an answer as nuclear weapons are not the only threat to humanity, and there is a first for everything.

I am well versed, well read, and seldom - if ever - opine on matters I know little or nothing about. On certain subject matter I have direct first-hand experience of working within that field of discussion... physics being one of them.

You're a decent guy... I've read many of your posts. But just like yourself, I'm entitled to my opinion.

However small the risk, the risk is still there with regards to particle accelerators. We are meddling in matters that are not fully understood at all, and effectively "playing God" with the nuclei of creation. Plus the Cern particle accelerator is continually being made more powerful, whilst other countries are also building them.

There are hundreds of articles out there from scholars, academics and professors in the subject who express the real dangers of extinction from particle accelerators. Here's just one, where a professor tells it as it is...

I suppose given that Zelensky is also called a Nazi..

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

I honestly don't remember those posts. I do remember plenty of people saying we aren't near the threshold yet where there is a distinct possibility that nuclear strikes would happen, nor should the empty threat lead to complete paralysis or capitulation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Well of the Russians I've known and known they pretty much all support putin to some degree and they have no fear of ending up in gulags or drinking dodgy tasting tea and in general have no time for those who suffered those fates. As a baseline they accept strongarm tactics to secure their country in ways we just don't anymore.

They see him as someone who dialled back the oligarchs and saved Russia from the post Soviet free for all. And he did to some degree for the average Russian. Yes he and his cronies kept raping their resources, but he let enough crumbs fall from his table to make a noticeable difference to the average Russian compared to what had gone before. And he made Russia look more relevant in the world too. He was, and by quite a distance, the lesser of two evils. Considering the state of the country it's quite understandable for many Russians to see him as good for Russia.

Plus he plugs into the apparent need for a czar type figure and he's surrounded himself with the trappings of that including support for the reborn Orthodox Church, who in turn support him and as far as liberalism they make the Catholic Church look like progressive hippies. The anti LGBT legislation is supported in Russia in ways that are now alien to us, especially in Ireland. We tend to forget how they would have been on point only a couple of generations ago in this country and we wouldn't have needed top down pressure to buy into it either.

Actually if I were to sum up my personal experiences in an obviously extremely simplistic way the Average Russian(tm) of today is akin to looking in a mirror of us in the 1950's. Nationalist, inward looking, religious/moralistic, defined gender roles, defined propagandist history and quite insecure to critique and 'outside influences'.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is no point worrying about particle accelerators. We need to be worried about more pertinent issues such as the emergence of a Godzilla post nuclear explosion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭goldenmick

@nullzero

Maybe do the first bit of research on how a nuclear war would play out before allowing your opinion to dictate the future of our species.

Quite amazing how when any poster expresses an opinion that differs to yours, you immediately attack them and accuse them of having done no research or not knowing what they are talking about. Must be a great feeling to strut around your town or village smug in the knowledge that you're smarter than everyone there. Obnoxious is a word that could have been invented just for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

A friend of mine rode to Vladivostok and back on a (motor)bike. Big country.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Addmagnet

Like the way the USSR looked after Chernobyl, you mean? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Ex Russian puppet, who had Ukrainian protesters murdered (after cleaning out the state's finances by stealing most of it for himself) is unsurprisingly Moscow's candidate to install as Ukraine's new leader

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Dissolve the regiment for a start. Crack down hard on the percentage in it with such ideology. Gaol them if needs be. Putin massively exagerated it for effect and propaganda purposes and has his own 'nazi' bootboys on his side in the Donbas civil war(he was supporting the UVF, Ukraine were supporting the IRA as it were), but at the same time Ukraine had/has a hard Right murderous facist problem and one that has had government support in the past and some sympathy still. To deny that would be propaganda ballsolgy on 'our' side.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Update on Russia armor/equipment lost (with visual evidence only)

Russia - 902, of which: destroyed: 358, damaged: 10, abandoned: 150, captured: 382

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

You know Ewan McGregor? Tell him I loved him in that Nanny McFee movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Heraclius

I hope they can avoid having him in charge. I guess if he is made "president" he'll need the entire russian army to stay in his position.

• Advertisement

Amazing milestone, passed out every tinpot dictatorship, Russia is now the most sanctioned country in the world

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Yeah, the fact that they are fighting for a Jewish president may tarnish their Nazi credentials somewhat.

No. Nor should they but political leadership in Europe needs to adapt quickly to this and Much of the solutions will not be nice or caring.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

Agree on all of that. It's still something I cannot get my head around - Putin didn't want Ukraine joining NATO (or the EU, presumably), but Ukraine wasn't in a position to join either organisation, seeing as it had these reported problems with political corruption and had a fair chunk of its territory occupied by Russia or pro-Russian forces. What decision maker in NATO would actually move to bring Ukraine into the fold in the situation where there literally already Russian troops in the country. I don't think you have to be a military strategist to realise that's going to be a massive headache. Not worthwhile.

So, Putin had done his job regarding his primary stated objective in this invasion without even needing to invade. Therefore, it can only be concluded that the invasion was really about something else. A way to secure resources? An attempt to distract from some mounting domestic crisis? A way to bolster political support?

The founder of the Azoz stated just that minus the Zelensky part. As I said it's been used as a propaganda tool by the Kremlin, but Ukraine most certainly has a 'nazi problem' and anti ethnic Russian feelings and attacks within her eastern borders. It has been dialled back since Zelensky and his government came to power and this is a good thing, but it's a very complex situation, again not unlike our own Troubles in Ulster. Only much worse.

Or quite simply he's trying to restore the Russian empire by conquering the whole country.

Looks like Russia gearing up to mount an assault on the capital, using better Ru forces, Wagnar group (Russian neo-Nazi paramilitaries basically) and Kadyrov's Chechens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Since the early 90s, we've done absolutely all that we could to make sure Russia could not adopt the strategy you outline in point 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

That's up to 2m refugees from Ukraine now. This man makes a good point.

• Advertisement

Hopefully the Ukrainians have enough defenders and supplies to hold them off.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement