Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newly built social homes sitting idle for over 8 months in Wexford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭corks finest

No excuse.

anyone refusing a new house in Ireland atm don’t deserve one

V true

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Its the same over here in the traveller capital of Ireland, best of materials and workmanship put into the houses and a few years later its like Putins fighter jets bombed the place.

Or else its some bollixology like not being housed next to Mammy and Daddy or no place for the horse.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I thought the Traveller capital was a town in westmeath 😁

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,579 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Maybe they have taken our title, it used to be us!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I only mentioned westmeath as I work in the town and its like the wild west 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Co Limerick giddiup

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

Never as i dont have to be in public spaces as i have my own acreage in the country side. Yet i still have my dogs chipped !

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

why didnt they build enough houses in the first place?

• Advertisement

Travellers are not Roma

Roma originated in India and arrived in Europe in the Middle Ages

used as slaves in parts of Romania until the 1800s

last slave docoumented in Iasi ( Romania 🇷🇴) mid- late 1800s

actually pictures of an enslave person wearing some sort of a wooden collar/ stock

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I don't think you know how maths/percentages work when demonstrating one section of the community has a far bigger issue with crime than another section.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,924 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

It’s applying the same logic that’s used to make the point using the prison population as a reference point. Depends on the point being made. Simply looking at prison numbers doesn’t indicate anything useful.

I dunno ‘bout you, but I’d be less concerned about the people in prison than I would be about the numbers of people engaged in criminal behaviour who aren’t in prison, regardless of whether they’re travellers or not.

I'd agree that I'd b e more worried about the number of criminals 'on the outside' but that's just distracting from the point.

And the point is that traveller women are vastly over-represented in the prison population. If they weren't committing crimes and getting caught, they wouldn't be in prison. Traveller women equal approximately 0.3% of the population (assuming a 50/50 split between male and female). The point I'm making is that it's absolutely scandalous that 0.3% of the population make up almost 25% of the prison population for females. That shows me that there is a problem with criminality in the traveller community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭batman_oh

LOL. Amazing mental gymnastics to be fair. The stats are completely clear and obvious to anybody who isn't pushing an agenda

I'm not pushing any agenda😂

I have never said that there isn't an issue with criminality in some traveller communities. I'm merely trying to point out to a poster how the prejudices they hold influences what they believe.

It's not unusual, most people in Ireland hold the same views and try to justify their prejudices by saying things like, travellers are statistically represented higher in prison populations. Indeed they are, but that's not a reason to discriminate against them.

everyone is guilty of doing this in Ireland. It's acceptable.

How is stating a fact that travellers are statistically represented higher in prison populations and providing evidence that it is a fact prejudicial to travellers?

I didn't say it was.

I said people use it as a way to justify their prejudices.

Maybe these facts are justification for being prejudicial towards them?

It's hard to have an impartial view when you see travellers so highly represented in the prison population, when you see horses being mistreated, dogs tied under caravans, sulky racing on the road, high levels of criminality, fighting and general anti-social behaviour, wrecking their environment etc.

My view is that the law is wrong and we shouldn't be kowtowing to travellers when it comes to traveller accommodation. They shouldn't get stables for horses or get to dictate that they want their extended family to be housed with them, or that they get extra space for additional caravans etc. It's a load of boll1x.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,924 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

They’re not facts though because there simply isn’t enough information or context being provided in the way the statistics you’re using to make your point are being misrepresented. It’s the way you’re choosing to interpret and present the statistics is the issue, nothing to do with mathematics or statistics themselves, everything to do with misrepresentation based upon your own interpretation.

If it was a thing where the figures were static, and you could refer to the same people, then you might have something, but even then ‘criminality’ is such a broad term that there’s no specificity to it, and you haven’t provided any.

By way of example, off the top of my head I know that most of the women in prison are there for offences on the lower end of the scale - shoplifting, drug possession, that sort of thing, so they might do a couple of months, whereas take someone who’s importing garlic and putting it down as apples to avoid paying the difference in taxes, y’know, that’s quite something else -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garlic-man-begley-released-early-from-prison-29156388.html

It’s kinda like when @teachinggal123 talked about the way travellers used to be and they weren’t like that any more, and how criminality and child abuse is associated with traveller culture, immediately I was reminded of this particular case where the man in question sexually abused his daughters for over 20 years and was able to get away with it, didn’t do a day in prison until he was found guilty -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/calls-for-review-of-state-response-to-traveller-rape-case-1.4280935

So what use are prison statistics in that case and what do they actually say about criminality whether it’s being perpetrated by travellers or any other group in Irish society? Says fcukall really, other than what the person putting it forward as an argument to perpetuate discrimination against travellers wants it to say. How, for example, do you address this question -

In a statement the women asked if the abuse would have been allowed to continue for so long if the women came from a settled family. 

“They were vulnerable Traveller children forced to live on the edges of Irish society, already looked down on, discriminated against and denied their basic human rights. Does this denial of their rights also extend to their right to protection as children? 

“How could schools, social workers, medical professionals and others who have a so-called duty of care turn their back time after time as the evidence was hitting them in the face,” the statement said.

Do you reckon they might have a point?

Do you reckon when anyone points out that travellers are over-represented among the patient population in the Central Mental Hospital, that they might have a point too? Or that traveller men are seven times more likely to take their own lives than among the general population? The outcomes in terms of healthcare for travellers generally, not as a consequence of their lifestyles, but as a consequence of the discrimination they experience fuelled by prejudice, make for grim reading -

https://www.thejournal.ie/tough-start-pt-2-traveller-children-health-5568495-Oct2021/

But it’s more important to some people that they can thumb their noses at travellers and argue that they should be discriminated against because criminality is an aspect of their culture, and you’ve got the statistics to prove it.

For all the good that does 😒

• Advertisement

How the Roma population ended up in the area we now call Romania is still not quite clear. 

The main hypothesis is that they left the Punjab region of Northern India either as nomads or victims of unfavourable circumstances, such as war or natural disaster. Some theories state that the Roma population arrived in the Principality of Wallachia (the southern part of today’s Romania) as free people, but they were soon enslaved by the princes of Wallachia and Moldavia, who

No, they are not justification for discrimination, nothing is.

And yes, I agree, it's hard to not judge all travellers in the action of some, but that's what we should do. I'm not above this, I have been prejudiced in my view, I have acknowledged that I am/I do, and I try not to.

I have been in Vietnam once, during that trip I was basically kidnapped by a taxi driver in order to extort a huge amount of money from me(it didn't work)

a couple on a moped dragged me a.short distance while trying to Rob my bag from off my body (it didn't work)

I observed a pickpocket attempting to steal out of my friends bag in a bar ( didn't work either)

Statistically in Vietnam, in the 3 weeks I was there, I have been the victim, or someone has attempted to make me the victim, of more crime then in years in Ireland. Do you think I would be justified in thinking Vietnamese people are criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,847 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I'm not that sure Bubblypop. Even if there is a definite criminal offence committed, Guards won't just rock up to a halting site without serious backup. It might not be that they are personally afraid, just that they know they need all that backup to have control. Think of your man who was involved in the Drogheda feud who had the compound in Stamullen. Halting sites are occasionally raided, but again with big teams only. I am sure it's not the same for all of them, but the Guards would know which are the serious criminals and which are not. They'd likely be fine to call into the local small halting site that has been there for 30 years.

I heard of a fella not too far from me who had a van stolen (left the keys in it like an eejit while a gate was being opened). He saw it being driven off and tracked it in another car to a nearby halting site. The guards wouldn't go in. They said the needed a warrant. The van was visible from the road. And wouldn't let the man go in either. He eventually got the van back but all his tools had gone walkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

@bubblypop you are doing some amount of mental gymnastics there! You obviously don't know how any of this works, and that Vietnam example is absolutely ridiculous.

Not going very well for you, is it?

Lovely

If it was a thing where the figures were static, and you could refer to the same people, then you might have something, but even then ‘criminality’ is such a broad term that there’s no specificity to it, and you haven’t provided any.

Yes, criminality is a broad term but usually people aren't put in prison in Ireland unless they have broken the law, committed crimes, i.e. are criminals who engage in criminal activity - criminality. I'm not saying all travellers by the way. But they are very over-represented, and that leads me to believe there's a problem in the wider traveller community.

By way of example, off the top of my head I know that most of the women in prison are there for offences on the lower end of the scale - shoplifting, drug possession, that sort of thing, so they might do a couple of months, whereas take someone who’s importing garlic and putting it down as apples to avoid paying the difference in taxes, y’know, that’s quite something else -

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/courts/garlic-man-begley-released-early-from-prison-29156388.html

That's a bit of whataboutery (Garlic Man) but whatever end of the scale the crime is, whether it's shoplifting or tax evasion, it's still crime and shouldn't be excused.

It’s kinda like when @teachinggal123 talked about the way travellers used to be and they weren’t like that any more, and how criminality and child abuse is associated with traveller culture, immediately I was reminded of this particular case where the man in question sexually abused his daughters for over 20 years and was able to get away with it, didn’t do a day in prison until he was found guilty -

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/calls-for-review-of-state-response-to-traveller-rape-case-1.4280935

I don't understand your point above. A traveller man sexually abused his children and got away with it for years? What's the point here?

So what use are prison statistics in that case and what do they actually say about criminality whether it’s being perpetrated by travellers or any other group in Irish society? Says fcukall really, other than what the person putting it forward as an argument to perpetuate discrimination against travellers wants it to say. How, for example, do you address this question -

All that shows above is that a traveller perpetrated crimes against other travellers. Nothing more, nothing less.

In a statement the women asked if the abuse would have been allowed to continue for so long if the women came from a settled family. 

I couldn't read all of the article you posted (I don't have an Irish Times account) and I do have sympathy for the abused women so apologies if there's anything in that article that contradicts my next point...........but sex crimes like that typically take years to be dealt with. I suspect (not having read the article although I've read another article on Mr. O'Reilly) that it would have made no difference if the victims were travellers or settled people. There is a mountain of historical sex abuse cases related to settled people still going through the courts. And I'm going to be blunt here.........travellers have an awful habit of blaming the State for all their woes and taking no responsibility for their own actions so I'm not surprised to see travellers blaming the state for a crime perpetrated by one of their own. Again, I haven't read the article so I don't know if there was inaction by the state in the case you mentioned.

“They were vulnerable Traveller children forced to live on the edges of Irish society, already looked down on, discriminated against and denied their basic human rights. Does this denial of their rights also extend to their right to protection as children? 

“How could schools, social workers, medical professionals and others who have a so-called duty of care turn their back time after time as the evidence was hitting them in the face,” the statement said.

Do you reckon they might have a point?

Travellers seem to prefer living on the edges of Irish society as far as I can see. Loads of benefits and none of the responsibilities. I feel sorry for traveller children living in sh1te conditions etc. but you have to put most of the blame on their parents. If traveller children are living in poor conditions such as those in Wexford, why don't their parents move into the houses? It's a very valid question. As far as I can see, it suits them not to move in until they get what they want. Travellers are doing nothing to help their cause. They discourage education, a sure way out of the mess that they are in.

Do you reckon when anyone points out that travellers are over-represented among the patient population in the Central Mental Hospital, that they might have a point too? Or that traveller men are seven times more likely to take their own lives than among the general population? The outcomes in terms of healthcare for travellers generally, not as a consequence of their lifestyles, but as a consequence of the discrimination they experience fuelled by prejudice, make for grim reading -

https://www.thejournal.ie/tough-start-pt-2-traveller-children-health-5568495-Oct2021/

I'm not a medical expert but I can't see how their lifestyle doesn't play a part in their poor mental health or their suicide statistics.

But it’s more important to some people that they can thumb their noses at travellers and argue that they should be discriminated against because criminality is an aspect of their culture, and you’ve got the statistics to prove it.

For all the good that does 😒

Well, my answer to that is what are travellers doing to address the situation? Everything seems to be on the settled community to bed over backwards and accept traveller culture when so many aspects of their culture is illegal or antisocial. Travellers need to tow the line too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The only people qualified to comment about the detrimental effect of this so called culture are those living near troublesome Travellers.

Seems to me that those who don't live anywhere near them are shouting the loudest load of PC bollx I have ever heard.

Yes, based on your experiences of three weeks, it would be unfair to think Vietnamese people are criminals.

But I've the guts of 50 years of experience with travellers. My view isn't based on a snapshot, it's based on continually seeing them act the boll1x for the best part of 50 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,110 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just double checked on Google Maps, I live 600 m from a halting site as the crow flies, 800m walk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Are they troublesome? Read my post again. I presume you are referring to metres not miles!

Advertisement