Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

What if, perish the thought, Russia nukes Kyiv to end the war to avoid any more losses and claims they were just doing what the US did to Japan? Does the West step in then or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

You're just dismissing the thought experiment as a 'ridiculous proposition' because you don't like what it tells you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭growleaves

If civilians take up arms they are considered combatants, according to the Geneva Convention. They're soldiers without a uniform and a fair target.

So handing out arms to civilians is a double-edged sword. Not that I would ever question the wisdom of Vlydymyr Zelenskyyyy!!

EDIT: I realised one error, when I said "foreign country" I was thinking of non-bordering countries.

If you flee a warzone then well done for getting out. If you're a man of fighting age and shape then you deserve very little respect barring very specific criteria. The lads on the boats across the channel weren't fleeing a warzone (France and Belgium for now are more or less at peace. Well aside from the Bataclan attack and the like that a few "refugees" also participated in.). If you're fleeing a warzone you flee to safety. If you then choose to travel to somewhere with better benefits then **** off.

Refugee status isn't meant to be a lifetime thing. The whole point is that it helps to deal with (and people to deal with) short term incredible hardship. We were under 0 obligation to take in "refugees" from "Syria" (there aren't enough inverted commas in the world for that sentence) until we agreed to do so. If Germany wants a million young lads with no papers to enter their country then bully for them.

In the case of Ukraine today, any young men aren't just fleeing, they're also breaking the laws of their own state and trying to evade the organs of that state. We shouldn't be prioritising lawbreakers.

And as I keep having to point out, I say this as the son of someone who left his home because his life was under imminent threat by state-adjacent actors. Did he travel across Europe? Did he camp in Calais? Did he illegally emigrate to America or Australia? No, he went as far as he needed to go for safety and stayed there.

There's far too much planning already happening for refugees, and it's not surprising since it's a for-profit industry now. We have no idea how long it's going to last, we have no idea of numbers (100k is a nonsense but get those estimates in early and high to guarantee some budget), and, I'm sorry for being a big right-winger right now, but 2 women each with a kid can share a 3 bedroom house for the medium term. This nonsense of giving anyone their own accommodation ad infinitum needs to end, and I'm not just talking about refugees. The industries which can profit have started turning their wheels and once some money is added it takes a long-ass time for it to slow down whether the services are needed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,923 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Big warning on this one (this is the aftermath of the Russian attack on a civilian car).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Black Noel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I think you are being a bit obtuse. Populations tend to be roughly 50:50 in terms of male/female. If you see a wave of refugees that are 90% male, then you have to wonder why are all the females left behind. Most societies do prioritise women and children.

If you get 1m "refugees" and 900k of them are men, then people will obviously question whether those 900k men are actually refugees fleeing a place of war. Nobody begrudges people fleeing an actual war. But they are entitled to be skeptical whether those individuals who claim to be fleeing a war are actually fleeing it. It would not be impossible for someone to hop into a boat and land in Europe and claim to be coming from somewhere they were never within 500 miles of.

The Syrians were fleeing a war. And I think Euope rightly took at least 1m of them. If you have a huge number of people with no documents landing and claiming to be fleeing persecution from some remote part of Africa that has been on the news as being taken over by militants, it is not unfair to treat the lack of evidence or documentation as being perhaps a little convenient.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair, we have only the Ukrainian's story to go on there. Now I'm personally 90% sure it was a Russian hit squad. If for no other reason than the Ukrainians know that they're getting huge support because of western media and naturally want to protect them to get their story out. However, if it turned out to be trigger happy Ukrainian civilians with newly minted guns in the fog of war I'd not be too shocked. Why? The TV crew went through a few Ukrainian checkpoints until they got to one and were turned around and told it was too hot to continue. They then go back the same road with the same Ukrainian checkpoints and are ambushed in what should have been more Ukrainian held territory. The other thing that's odd is that the vehicle was hit repeatedly(by what to me looked like one shooter), but the shooters a 100 metres away would have seen the crew get out and run down to an embankment and they didn't finish the job when the crew were lined up in a near perfect fire trap, when all they had to do was move ten metres to the left to do that?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Big Russian Kyiv assault finally seems to be almost ready - https://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-russia-war-news-putin-zelenskyy-latest-live-updates-12541713?postid=3498774#liveblog-body

Analysis from a leading US military thinktank suggests Russian forces are preparing for an assault on Kyiv in the coming days - and as soon as tonight.

The Institute for the Study of War says Russian forces are concentrating in the eastern, northwestern, and western outskirts of the capital.

And released at 8pm last night UK time, the assessment suggested the assault would take place "in the coming 24-96 hours".

"The Russians are bringing up supplies and reinforcements as well as conducting artillery, air, and missile attacks to weaken defenses and intimidate defenders in advance of such an assault," it says.

The analysis indicates that the operation could signal a pivotal moment in Putin's invasion, given the lack of certainty around whether or not any attempt to take control of the city would be successful.

"It is too soon to gauge the likely effectiveness of any Russian attempt to complete the encirclement of Kyiv or to seize the city at this time," it says.

"If Russian troops have been able to resupply, reorganize, and plan deliberate and coordinated simultaneous operations along the several axes of advance around and into the capital, they may be more successful in this operation than they have in previous undertakings."

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

No the reporter said they Russian saboteurs who have been operating inside Ukraine and the press team were specifically warned about them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Black Noel

Not really, the yanks have shipped out hundreds of light anti armour weapons to the Uks, this is one result, anything approaching Russian armour aggressively will be taken out.

More foreign sourced equipment arriving

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Can you please cite any evidence whereby the refugees from Syria are overwhelmingly male?

I'm honestly not sure what part of my posts you are disputing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

There were posters saying that nuclear war isn't a big deal. Boggles the mind.

Ultimately there's no need to escalate things anywhere near that so the suggestions that things should go in that direction are ill informed at best.

Post edited by nullzero on

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

As far as I can see there are only 5 possible outcomes to this.

1) Ukraine defeat Russia - possibility almost zero.

2) Russia Defeat Ukraine, install puppet Government and put up with years/decades of internal strife, terrorism and sanctions.

3) Conflict expands into neighboring Nato member countries - escalation leading to possible nuclear war

4) Putin get taken out by an internal coup and replaced, Russia pull out - ideal but not guaranteed

5) Negotiated settlement with Russia - Putin gets assurances regarding Nato's future expansions, Ukraine sign up to certain stipulations and Putin pulls out.

Of the above options, other than 4, option 5 is by far the most attractive and one hopes there are back-channel discussions on-going at present. What isn't helpful in the hysterical media (traditional and social) coverage which have portrayed Putin as a mentally unstable psychopathic cross between Hitler and Stalin. It's quite likely that the West will need to do a deal with this guy, a deal than involves giving him certain assurances and ramping back the sanctions. Even Option 4 will likely require the same deal but with a different leader.

What Putin has done is despicable but it's not necessarily illogical. Time people wised up to the realpolitik of what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Bayonet

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He has a point though DJ. While arming a civilian militia increases your force in a big way and adds some serious advantages, it also means the opposing forces become significantly less conscious of targeting civilians, because they can use the excuse that they were carrying arms. And it's not such an excuse if you're the one in the firing line no matter what uniform you're wearing. In urban enviroments where threats can come from anywhere this really ramps up and can be seen in every single conflict where civilians become militias. The "civilians let them pass" leeway often gets thrown away. We've seen it in this war. At first the Russians on the ground were pretty 'tolerant' of Ukrainian civilians, even when they came towards them en masse in peaceful protest, or taking video of them. That's changed. I'd be very very worried if ordinary Ukrainians tried the flag waving peaceful protests of last week today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Aggresively, like the way elderly people drive small Korean sedans around the village?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

@[Deleted User]

Iv read a few of your posts. And with all that is going on, its difficult to keep up with posts. I want to say that i have sympathy for your position. We all feel impotent at this point. Because we are impotent, at least, militarily.

how many in the west are willing to fight Russia to the last Ukrainian: It can seem this way, i admit that. And there are very sad, frankly disturbing precedents.

The above all refers to Hard Power - and i admit, there is a HUGE IMBALANCE in this that favors the Russians.

SOFT POWER - on the other hand (Economics, Public Relations, Public perceptions, Diplomacy) - There is an imbalance on this too, but it is ENTIRELY the reverse of the Military situation. Now you may ask, what does it matter? I would answer, believe me; It matters. If it DID NOT MATTER, the Russians would not be

• Requesting 'Normalization' of Economic Relations
    • Accusing the west of declaring 'Economic war' on Russia (im willing to state, that in effect, the west has done so)
    • Bemoaning the realities of the above statement, and threatening that It could lead to Military war
    • Accusing WW2 era former Axis powers of 'Siding with the NAZIs'
    • Standing up and retaliating in the UN, and via their (and their allies) embassies throughout the world
    • Desperately trying to restrict access to News, and Western Media in Russia

All of the above matters. And so, frankly, does everything that Western Populations say and do. And our multinational companies are now Voluntarily leaving Russia. They are no longer WAITING for sanctions. And this is BECAUSE of the General Populations REVULSION for what Russia is doing.

All of this matters. We can't fight Russia militarily (i cannot see this ever happening) - but we can continue to make our voices loud and united, against Russia, and her Allies

Im not going to call you a 'Chamberlain' or a 'Defeatist' - nonsense to do so. And i am happy to debate (a fellow trekkie if im not mistaken) at any time

Slava Ukraini

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Just to get this straight, in one sentence, you are blaming the US for supplying the Ukrainian army with anti-tank weapons, and you've justified Russian military units in Ukraine blowing up an elderly couple in a car. Okay.

These vehicles have optics and range findings, at that range they can easily see the occupants in the car, it's straight up murder, and will probably be referred to the Hague

• Advertisement

I never said the refugees from Syria were overwhelmingly male. In fact I explicitly pointed them out as legitimate refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Sadly every thread descends into madness.

But what annoys me most is people try to come off as experts. Remember the Japanese earthquakes a decade ago? So many coming off as nuclear scientists. More recently with the covid forum - so many were 'experts'.

Ok, so I'm not sure what point you are disputing or where you think I am being obtuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

We've all seen the drive by molotoving by civilians in a normal car, I doubt it was plastered with markings clearly identifying it.

Same for the APC getting hit with the RPG while telling a crowd of civilians to disperse.

Anyone getting near the Russians is either a direct threat or a distraction for one.

And the same cranks taking up the contrarian/conspiracy theorist position every time because they are special.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

Disgusting flippant comment to make!

The Russians are the attacking force here, Ukraine is just trying to defend their country.

This car was just driving along the road posing no threat.

The Russian still opened fire from the safety of their tanks.. cowardly scum!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

The obtuse was in reference to apparently not understanding the persons questions about "refugees" to Europe being, in the majority, male.

Where refugees are actually fleeing somewhere, the ratio would be expected to be 50:50. If, somewhere along the route, the women are taking a pitstop, then people might ask for more information on the actual reality of the situation. That would be natural thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

How many Anti Armour rounds have the Ukrainians got versus how much armour have the Russkies got?

Now wonder they're mostly just bombarding from a distance

• Advertisement

Russian armor is moving into civilian areas. As we've seen they have zero problem targeting and killing civilians, nuclear reactors, humanitarian columns.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement