Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Michel Meijer

I have paid my charge of € 4,84 on 19/12/2021. Today is 03 February 2022. No bloody sign of my packagege. An post will not respond to my Emails. WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS GOING ON????????????????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Michel Meijer

You may have noticed that the Customs office is unreachable also. Not able to cope with all the inquiries. An Post should NEVER have come onboard with Revenue. Nobody is kicking up a fuzz. The postal workers tell me that they are inundated with questions from customers every day. WHY IS NOBODY KICKING SOMEONE'S BUTT??????

• Registered Users Posts: 8 houseshare naas

How long does it take for customs to send out the reference number to pay the duty on a parcel ? I’ve been waiting over a week and no sign of it

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back from anpost when you are disputing a customs charge? I sent an email off today as they decided to charge VAT on an item of baby clothing. My understanding is that there is no VAT applied on children's clothing. I'm pregnant and near to my due date, which I explained in the email, but I was wondering if it was gonna take over a week to hear back I might just pay and seek out a refund. I'd normally be patient but it's my baby's going home outfit so there is a bit of time pressure on my end.

Did you not get it in a text or email? I know my partner sometimes gets a letter but it usually arrives within a week. My advice would be to try contacting an post (easier said than done!) and asking what's the hold up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Like many errors, it is almost always because the seller does not put the correct information.

It may say "clothing"

It should say "children's clothing"

Taric code 6111 20 00 00

Where I am we sell into the UK. We know that we have to put a correct taric code on all packages we send to the UK. Some packages require a few taric codes. It's very easy to do and the information is easy to find.

Unfortunately most smaller UK retailers do not have a clue and think some magic fairy will put all the correct information on their packages.

That then leads to incorrect rates applied especially on children's clothing and shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’m looking at a 2nd hand golf club in England, my brother lives in England. Could he buy it for me and post it to Ireland without being charged VAT and customs duties?

I doubt it was the sellers fault, the description on the pay customs charge page was "baby boys sailor outfit". This item also came from a big UK children's clothes retailer, who explicitly mentioned on their site that Irish customers shouldn't pay any customs charges. It's grand though, it got sorted I ended up escalating it to the An Post twitter account and they prioritized it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,648 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

it doesn’t matter if it’s second hand, it would be still liable to VAT and charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Just wondering if anyone can offer advice as how I can get this item moving

I ordered an item on Amazon.co.uk which was dispatched by Amazon but was sold by someone else.

I paid Irish VAT to Amazon so confused as to why it would be stopped by customs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Tell him to wrap it and declare it as a book or a piece of electrical or photographic equipment.

That's how I got my yacht in.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Dynomutt

If he marks it as a gift and the total value is less than €45, there are no charges. From the An Post website:

”Family and friends gifts

Gifts below the value of €45 (including postage) from non-EU countries require valid electronic customs data but do not require any customs or VAT to be paid. Make sure to tell friends and family that an item must be accompanied by valid electronic customs data when sending. Gifts over €45 are charged a customs fee, paid by the receiver.”

https://www.anpost.com/customs-information

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ivar the boneless

Ali Express delivery............

Have now been waiting 2 weeks since notified parcel in Ireland

Anybody know how long it can take for an post to actually put it on their system

Seriously what is going on

They sent my last parcel back without any contact to me ????????? waited 3 months

Can anyone in Boards land enlighten me Tks in advance

Is Amazon any better!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Father ordered clothing from amazon, it arrived at chester mail center on the 16th Feb and it went into a loop when it arrived in Dublin on the 18th Feb. Nothing from customs, An Post say it's not their problem, that its probably with customs and they will contact us. He got onto customs and now it seems they may have lost the package. The updated on the 1st was just after he contacted An Post them asking where the hell it is. If it's going through An Post then they should not be fobbing people off with oh it's with customs.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I can share my experience with the post here in Switzerland - the same as everything I read about An Post. Bottom lin - if you order from a third country be it the UK, the US or China then expect delays, complications and extra charges. All third country stuff gets treated the same, add the additional rules, checking and under staffing…..

if I order something from Ireland it will arrive here in Switzerland in a week, if I order the same thing from the UK it could take a month or more.

For Ali Express check out amazon.de. Some times if you are lucky you may find the vendor has a European warehouse and you may have to pay not a lot extra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭apache

I'm waiting on a parcel from Germany. An Post sent me a txt message saying I was to pay custom charges of €29.95. I thought there was no custom charges within EU or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭9320

Is it booze? It's excise duty rather than customs.

No, it's 2 jeans. I don't know if it's a scam or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Are you sure the item was actually sent from Germany?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 ger1524

An Post shortly to completely lose the Amazon contract as they have almost finished their new base in west Dublin. An Post packets and parcels have fallen through the floor and the letter business will be finally killed off following the imposition of the latest round of increases.

Post edited by apache on

Maybe it is legitimate. I went on to An Post's website and there was a customs section. I inputed my reference number I was given in the txt to pay the charge but it didn't match.

I just want to know are there customs charges within the EU?

I don't want to give a scammer access to my bank card.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,957 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I ordered some things from UK last week, arrived by An Post, no talk of customs or vat, it was normal shipping cost from UK, so it wasn't added to price at checkout ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If the reference number didn't match then it probably isn't legitimate. Was the reference number even the right format? any I have received have started with 21IE

• Registered Users Posts: 15 ivar the boneless

Jim2007

Thank You that helps but amazon.de ?? are some Chinese sellors going via amazon! I am new to this online lark just finding my feet If there,s a better way count me in and enlighten me

ps great thread folks very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭spookwoman

another 2 We have your post in DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12 and Your delivery has been sorted DUBLIN MAIL CENTRE, DUBLIN 12 today. 18 days now in ireland doing the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

• Advertisement

Seems this was legitimate. Online payment isn't working so I'll pay at a post office tomorrow.

Still don't get why customs has to be paid when it's within the EU.

Advertisement