Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Enormous amounts were pumped into Afghanistan to train and equip the military. In the end they were not bothered fighting, so the end result is the Afghans get the government they wanted or at least couldn't be bothered fighting against. The situation in Ukraine is completely different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Talisman

Blinken is playing a blinder in his tour of the neighboring countries, today he's in Estonia. Estonia's Prime Minister, Kaja Kallas, after meeting with him:

The Kremlin’s war tactic is to terrorise civilians and put them at the frontline of this war.

What #Ukraine needs urgently now is our military help. This is our first priority. 1/6

The democratic world has stepped up against this war with speed, strength, determination.

But we need to be prepared that the worse is still to come.

Putin's violence must be in correlation with further decisions to isolate his war machine politically and economically. 2/6

We are in this for the long haul.

We see already tremendous policy shifts vis-à-vis Russia across the EU and the rest of the democratic world.

What we need next is the strategic patience to keep these decisions in place. 3/6

Russia expects us to take a step back soon.

We will prove them wrong.

We will keep on finding new tools in our toolbox until Putin’s war machine has been paralysed and isolated. 4/6

Our new reality demands rapid changes to our defence. Estonia has long spent over 2% of our GDP, and we are increasing it.

@NATO needs to adapt quickly, too. Decisions we must make include permanent and meaningful forward defence in our region - on land, in air and at sea. 5/6

Our unity & scale of joint decisions prove the strength of our democracies.

I thank the U.S. administration for their leadership in building the unity of Allies and partners. #StandWithUkraine 6/6

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

I'm not going to tackle everything in that post because it's so long, but I don't think autocracies have 'almost nothing to worry about' besides the war. There are certain hard realities even an autocracy must face, no matter how much they try to control the flow of information, and one of them is that if they run out of money to finance their war, that war is f*cked. And so, there is an amount of calculus that must be performed in deciding to go to war and which target you pick. By going to war with Ukraine, Russia has alienated many economic partners. That, in turn, will create austerity for the Russian population, which will be oxygen for the anti-Putin sentiment that exists in the country.

Those who admire autocracy, either openly or in secret, would admire its apparent strength, but they forget it's also brittle. Enough pressure and it will crack. Putin's doing himself no favours, here. He can try to tell his people one thing, but he probably underestimates just how readily information travels these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I think what happened there is that the lorry was taking pre-emptive action to prevent a different truck with dishonourable motives from smashing those gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭cmac2009

A little simplistic to say just accept price hikes in petrol/gas. 40% of gas supplies for Europe come from Russia, there is no alternative sources to cover that. And will take decades to reverse this dependance.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Crocodile Booze

Some of the images of crying children and murdered pensioners are beyond shocking. The scum that exists in our world is really sickening. It's hard to get it out of your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,335 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But it's just paranoia; there's no rational basis to it. Ukraine as a standalone actor could never attempt to invade Russia, no matter how much western weaponry it possessed. And if the US/NATO/The West wanted to launch an unprovoked attack on Russia it wouldn't need any help from Ukraine. So if Russia genuinely has no aggressive intentions toward Ukraine, the Ukraine joining NATO or whatever military alliance doesn't change anything of substance.

Of course if Russia still harbours ambitions to annex more of Ukraine, install puppet governments etc. then obviously Ukraine joining NATO is a major hindrance to it. But that's where your analogy with Canada and Mexico falls down, those countries have no 'good' reason to join any anti-US military alliance because they can be certain America has no intention of invading them.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

I wonder. We can generate electricity fairly quickly by other means. Home heating might be trickier - I guess ultimately you can make gas yourself if you have enough electricity?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,397 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Nobody is mentioned "how inconvenient it is when they turn up near us". That is only you.

Again you are being obtuse and not acknowledging the original posters point. Such strawman deflection does not help your argument as it shows you don't must not have a strong one.

I don't know how anyone could refuse to help the Ukrainian people fleeing the war.

There are people, for example, in camps in the likes of Calais. They have possibly been there for years. They were never near a warzone. They will never be in a warzone. There is nobody in France trying to murder them. By concocting and implying a false equivalence between those "refugees" and the women and children literally fleeing Ukraine for their lives at the minute, you are seriously insulting those Ukrainian women and children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

I think the other thing some people seem to be missing is that price increases for petrol and in particular gas do not just affect the prices at the pump:

Gas and petrol are used for a multitude of industrial processes and any decrease in availability or increase in cost is going to put strain on all kinds of supply chains. We could be talking medical equipment and supplies, pharmaceuticals, food, etc.

And as with everything else these increases are going to impact the poorer people and poorer nations around the world disproportionately.

This isn't just about Johnny with his BMW stopping on the petrol station forecourt and having to spend more so he can drive his bike up to the Wicklow mountains for his Sunday spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh would you give over with that shyte. Yeah they were paving the way for the women and children to follow.

Now how come that isn't happening in Ukraine at the moment?

It is a busted myth that all those young lads were fleeing Syria, Iraq or indeed Afghanistan.

Yes there were Syrians there, but there was every type of chancer from not just Middle East and Central Asia but also parts of Europe amongst them.

Just like it is a busted myth that they were all doctors, engineers and scientists.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

They can make a movie about it "Enemy at the Gates 2"

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 6,152 ✭✭✭Talisman

The chat bot has been in place since the beginning of the invasion. The Ukrainians have been using every piece of information they could get their hands on. They were also harvesting information from TikTok. Russian and Belarus teenagers posting videos of military equipment passing through the rail network were an invaluable source of intelligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

How did I disparage him? I just said he's exactly how I pictured him. A rural cute hoor boyo who most likely has patches on his jacket sleeves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Ordinary Russians who overwhelmingly approve of Presidency. You make your bed you sleep in it, good enough for them.

It's the minority who don't approve of him that I feel sorry for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

There was another story though about Ukrainians doing some basic training in a local community hall/gym/basketball hall kind of place. One fella took a selfie of himself with all the lads in the background and posted it online. About 5 minutes later the building was hit with a rocket and they blamed local collaborators recognising the building from the inside and passing on the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Where do you think all this will end ?

The more desperate Russia get and the more Ukraine appear to be winning - might seem like good news but to me that just pushes Putin closer and closer to the nuke button - and then we are ALL FUCKED !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

If it's the same incident I'm thinking of it was actually worse than that:

It was reported that at least two Russian operatives entered the building and opened fire on mostly sleeping or resting volunteers; there was footage of multiple bodies appearing to have numerous gunshot wounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Do you see the irony in using whataboutery but then complaining about whataboutery? I would imagine you dont.

Might be a different one. The one I saw showed your man with the selfie and then beside it showed a picture of the building with a large hole in the wall where the rocket had gone in. It wasn't from a reputable news source though

Edit. This is not where I saw it but it is the same photos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

BREAKING:

Moscow International Airport reports mass jet fuel shortages following sanctions. Remaining international carriers cancel multiple weeks' worth of cargo and passenger flights

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

There's no denying Russia has unilaterally broken the agreement. It could be argued that releases the other signatories to the agreement from any undertakings they gave to Russia but not from each other.

I think Russia has walked right up to the line in terms of use or threat of use of nuclear weapons in alluding to 'consequences you have never seen in history' without explicitly threatening Ukraine with the same as to do so would oblige the USA and UK to come to Ukraine's defence.

Russia will not want USA's and UK's direct involvement. I don't think that is a line they will cross.

Do they have fuel for their military aircraft?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Got to have hope in that if it gets that bad then either others around Putin will sense weakness and get rid of him, or that if he presses the big red button that there are enough other people in the chain of command to say "hang on a moment lads, are we sure about this?".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

I think you're broadly missing the point. If we were at a situation on boards today posting about a US invasion of Canada or Mexico because the Russian military were setting up shop there, the USA would have ended up there via a series of calamitous foreign policy errors over decades where either Mexico or Canada decided the USA was more foe than friend. Nor would I think anyone be making excuses for them or low-key condoning them.

Notwithstanding, that the notion of Russia in the economic state it is in, with its coercive and transactional approach to foreign policy ever being in a place where they could land on the borders of the USA and Canada or Mexico entertaining it is fanciful to put it mildly.

A better question is how did Ukraine end up in a space where they completely reject a 'brother nation' and want to throw in their lot with the EU and the West generally. Russia and the low-key supporters have some questions it needs to ask themselves how it came to this. The CIA and the dastardly Pentagon etc etc have less to do with this state of affairs than you think. The answer lies much closer to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭technocrat

There an oil exporter but don't have enough for themselves.

This is turning out be a sh1tshow in their own backyard... Delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

I'm not sure I believe this. Wouldn't Russia refine its own jet fuel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Agreed. It's a pretext for an asset grab.

Russia's unilateral breach of an existing agreement makes negotiations difficult. As Russia has shown it cannot be trusted any solution will need an effective means of enforcement, something which will be difficult for Russia to accept but without which will be difficult for Ukraine to accept.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement