Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Service Pension - AVCs

• 07-03-2022 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭

Hi,

My wife recently joined the public service and their single pension scheme after many years in private sector.

She wants to go about doing AVCs but was told she needs to set up her own private pension to do so. The public sector seems to have a recommended AVC provider but there seems to be expensive management costs up front.

Any advice on doing this ?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭tmh106

Before doing anything about setting up a private pension, I'd double check the advice she was given. I'm not a public servant, but it would seem incredible to me if public service employees do not have some kind of AVC scheme that they can contribute to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,522 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yeah she said there is a company that provide a private pension for public sector employees where she pays AVCs direct via her payroll to their fund.

That Irish company takes a sizeable % of the AVCs in the first year as an up front management charge. It depends on the amount of AVC.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

There are a number of different companies that do this. She has probably been sent to a prominent company around Christchurch area?

There are others if she looks around, or maybe some of her co-workers nights have avc's with different companies

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

To be honest I think they all take a good chunk of the first years payments!

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭tmh106

Oh, sorry, I missed the part about the exiting public service provider being expensive. If she doesn't want to pay those charges - and if I was in her position, I would be the same - then I suspect that setting up a PRSA is the way to go. But I'm not an expert in this area, so hopefully others here will be able to reply with advice. I seem to recall that there were some posts in the past about PRSA - maybe do a search in here for "PRSA" to see if you find anything useful. You could also try asking on the askaboutmoney site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Search on AAM, plenty of threads about AVCs in PS.

Cornmarket broker charge 595 set-up on some AVCs.

Any public servant is free to set up a PRSA-AVC with a discount broker for zero contribution fees and 1% AMC.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Also check to see if there's an option to buy "added years" of service.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,636 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I had to stop paying into my PRSA when I joined the PS. Seemly the only additional add on you can do is an AVC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You can do a PRSA AVC when you're on the PS pension scheme.

Advertisement