Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭noelearly

They usually leave some places for national marathon entries. Few friends have said this option will be available to faster runners nearer the summer.

• I heard there's a group selling tickets for the marathon up the back of Fury Glen on Friday evening. 80 quid and your friend is in...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Great, I need to plan my season of events and need dates. Other races are opening and will sell out early next week and need to make sure schedules fit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭sk8board

25,000 is the confirmed attendance - looking at the 2019 results, there were just under 18,000 finishers, so it’s a big ‘ol jump

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I have a vague memory that around 22,000 was the previous years entries... of which then having 18,000 finishers would be expected.

If they have 25k places to sell then they likely are expecting 22k to turn up on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Only seen this today 😢I assume any spots not taken in the first round of the lottery will go to the unlucky ones and they won’t open another lottery applications?

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

"Any places not redeemed will be offered in round two of the lottery from Tuesday 1st February, with offers needing to be redeemed by midnight Monday 7th February 2022."

Based on the timelines, it seems your assumption is spot-on, given lottery entries were open for a week, then the drawing date, and then an entry deadline. Round 2 only mentions 2 dates so assume that's 'draw' and 'deadline' and the pool for the draw are those who entered earlier this month

Once the second drawing/deadline is past, perhaps reach out to the organisers to ask about substitution - there are ALWAYS a number of folks unwilling or unable to run. Might be too soon now to find such an entry, but perhaps they can start a waiting list and as folks decide they no longer want to (or no longer can) run, their entries can be transferred to waiting list on first come first serve basis?

Or if you don't care about time against your own name, there are always a few unofficial 'transfers' in the weeks leading up to the race, and you'll see Bob Smith running along but 'Bob' is actually a lady 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Thanks I emailed them yesterday all spots taken

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Has there been announcement on the race series yet?

Just looking on the Dublin Marathon website there now and under the tab 'Race Series' they have a list of races

Dublin Half Marathon

Tallaght 5 Mile

Fingal 10k

Frank Duffy 10 mile

This would mean the Clondalkin/Grangecastle 10km is gone and a new race for Tallaght and Fingal is now the host for the 10km .I liked the Clondalkin 10km route,would be shame if its gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I have a carry over entry to the series from 2020, this is how it was listed when entering:

Fingal 4 mile

South Dublin 10K

Frank Duffy 10

Dublin Half Marathon

The dates on the eventmaster orders for Fingal/South Dublin are staggered to their virtual events in 2020 but the Frank Duffy one still shows August 2020 and the Half shows Sept 2020. Assuming they just carry over these entries to this year for all events and swapping the Tallght/Fingal events for distances as they see fit.

Currently the Phoenix Park have the following DCM events for 2022: https://phoenixpark.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Events-List-2022-1.pdf

20th August - Frank Duffy 10 mile

17th September - Dublin Race Series (Half marathon)

Aiso interestingly AI have the following commitments with the Park for their race series:

15th May - Irish Runner 5k (National 5k)

10th July - Irish Runner 10 mile (National 10 mile)

7th August - Half Marathon (National championships)

They all have projections of lower numbers for RCOs but I'd say the longer distances will be popular. All of the AI events are scheduled for a month before the similar distances in the DCM series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭AngelaRI

Same, I really liked the new 10K route (Grangecastle) over the old (Fingal) one. Big reason is traffic and parking around the start - Swords is a nightmare! The first year it was changed because of the Pope's visit if I remember correctly (10Mi got bumped to Fingal, so 10K had to get a fresh route), but then they kept it in Clondalkin the following year and I got hopeful that it would be the new Race Series 10K route!

There's another brand new event (started 2019) from the same crowd that does Wicklow/Wexford/Clontarf series - Wheelworx Fastlane Half and 10K: https://rundublin.com/race/may-fastlane-half-marathon-or-10km/ They seem to do a summer run in May and a winter run in November (similar to Clontarf which does July and November)

The route starts nearby, at the canal (free parking at the shopping centre about 10 min walk away), and is 2 laps for 21K or 1 lap for 10K, going right past the business park where the South Dublin 10K started. Next one is 22nd May so not quite fitting with the Dublin Race Series dates, but pretty flat, fairly scenic, was well organised when I ran it. Route: https://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/4727563048

Now disclaimer: the guy usually doing these (Eoin Ryan) is in the process of handing over his running events to a new crowd (Bear Group), I think Wicklow Half/10K next month is his last time involved and thereafter it's 100% the new folk, so can't guarantee that their events will be as well organised, but hopefully the new folk will do them justice, as they're all really good events with lovely routes! Especially Wicklow and Wexford - 2 of my favourite Half's!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭SeeMoreBut

I wonder will they change the parking setup in park for these races as no parking on chesterfield avenue at the moment. Not like the vast majority can use public transport or do their warmup from home to the start line

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

No parking in the park means I'm out. Will be finding other races that offer some sort of parking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

There is multiple parking options in the park beyond on the route.

what are they to handle a few thousand vehicles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Had entry for the original canceled event that was rolled over, is there anywhere to log into the entry list? My email address has changed and don’t have access to the old one (damn you Eir)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Go onto event master and truly login with your old email address.

If that doesn't work email office@dublinmarathon.ie or message them on Facebook. Explain you no longer have access to your email (type email) they maybe able to tell you by name and DOB or address if there is an entry allocated and valid.

Car park at zoo and papal Cross are accessible on race day. Also the visitors centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Mine still says 2020 for the race series but 2022 for the Marathon. Must get onto them to make sure I’m still registered for them. Didn’t cancel them or get money back.

Probably close the zoo one for zoo people only. Chesterfield of a few km of no cars be huge

• Advertisement

Well in 2019 all 3 were accessible as I know ppl who parked there so long as you were there by 9.15am

Was at the zoo the Friday of mid term just gone, park was heaving and North road was closed westbound from avenue that goes over the zoo so was a good indicator of how park could deal with large volumes of parking.

We'll just say they didn't handle it well, can see it being a mess for a large event such as 10m or 1/2 marathon with usual Saturday morning demands of the zoo and other parks thrown in.

Still no sign of routes either for these events.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

not saying parking would not be an issue but a load of new parking spaces have been painted/opened along the north road up from garda hq all the way to cabra exit

They were working on it that day alright but if you take out the main avenue parking on a race day you are taking out nearly 2 miles of parking between Aras and the Zoo & Castleknock Gate to Castleknock roundabout. Thats over 300 spaces gone straight away.

People always used the north road for parking as needed on race day so not sure if the new spaces will offset main avenue changes since the last time there was a big event on a Saturday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,456 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

People will just have to get with the programme and either find another (hopefully legal) place to park, get dropped off, car pool, take a taxi or public transport. The parking changes in the Park are for the better - in fact they don’t go nearly far enough, IMO.

Easy to say when you live cycling distance from the Park.

Any thoughts on people who have to make a 4hr or more round trip to get to the Park? Should they just suck it up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

to be fair there are some of the best public transport links in the country right on the doorstep of the park (heuston train station, luas station, coaches and busses to/from airport, tones of dublin busses not to mention park and ride facilities all along luas lines and all the car parks in the city centre)

sure during the DCM marathon most people living in dublin will use public transport to get into merrion square start line. if you are coming up from the country you could park anywhere along one of the handy connections to public transport and make your way in. alternatively there is lots of parking on the periphery of the park itself whether on the castleknock/cabra site or in and around kilmainham area, etc.

granted, it is not as handy as dumping the SUV within a stones throw of the finishing line. i am actually behind removing most cars from the park for full disclosure.

So have you ever driven from the other side of the country leaving the house at 6AM say and still managed to get parked in a place with a public transport link in order to be in the Park for 8:30? Good job if you could do it but won't be trusting the weekend public transport schedule in this country.

I'd be happy to park anywhere within a mile and a half of the start line but even that is a problem, Castleknock or Chapelizod residents would rightly have a fit if the place was taken over and cars abandoned. Who's going to park in Cabra in their right mind :p

DCM is a red herring though as you are forced to come to the expo prior to the race, leading to vast majority of people a fair distance outside Dublin staying in the area the night before. I'd agree getting to Merrion Square isn't a problem on race day for DCM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭py

Luas red line commences operation at 6:30am on Saturdays or 7am on a Sunday morning. Don't like driving in Dublin city? Plenty of options to park and ride on the red line. Drops you a few minutes from the Phoenix Park. The distance from the Luas stop to the start of the half looks to be a tad longer than 3Km, nice distance to get a warm up done.

I've also seen many a Dublin bike parked in the bicycle park at the race series.

• Advertisement

Again all good and well for a local, but for many it's drive a couple of hours, then ditch the car for another 40/50 mins between transport and jog to start line. Like driving in the city, did enough of it for years with work, like it even better on a Saturday morning before 8AM, hence the want for a parking space reasonably close to a start line.

Advertisement