Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Housing Madness

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think you likely do not want to understand which is fine... what i said is clear...

Well, that’s the choice isn’t it, and a clear one. No different between living in London and, say, Rotherham in England. Choices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

You are literally comparing the situations in Belfast to down here.

I am saying what i wrote not what you decide to interpret... you may be a bit confused...

abc etc make them all... if you don't know you not be able to make it work....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"There may in the future be an ask of Irish families."

Wonder how many refugees our ministers and TDs are going to take into their homes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

People are leaving Ireland because rents are too high , house prices are too high , there's a tiny amount of houses for sale, I read only the top 14 per cent in salary can afford to buy a house and they are bidding against each other . I see no sign of improvement in the next 5 years. Meanwhile inflation is rising, the prices of food basic items and petrol are rising. I think the uk economy is very different to Ireland especially after brexit.

• Advertisement

Are people really leaving or are they re-locating abroad and working on-line... I met a guy about 6 months ago and his plan was to move to Spain and work on-line... i cannot remember the detail of what he was going to do...

The problem seems to be with housing is traditionally it was cheaper to build one-off than to buy... it is now cheaper to buy than build when all costs are added...

anyone coming to the UK expecting better affordability, a less marked cost of living increase, and lower rent is going to be disappointed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The UK has definitely changed in the last say 10 years, food, alcohol, etc use to be much cheaper in the UK a, and in the north of England property was much cheaper, everything seems to have shot up in prices in the past few years in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Every sympathy for normal people struggling to buy but the people moaning about being priced out of certain postcodes in Dublin does make me laugh. It's like they think they're somehow in a distinct privileged caste to the identical hordes of people scrabbling to buy property in the same area and driving the price up and thinking it's the government and wider society's responsibility to guarantee them a spot in the areas they grew up in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think most people under the age of 30 are priced out of buying a house in dublin in any post code, yes its ridiculous to expect to have some natural right to buy a house in for example rialto or cabra just because you have a good job. The market is stuck in that there's only a small amount of new units being built versus the demand for housing from young people who are working and who are paying high rents for mediocre rental units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Pretty much. But the UK is by far a more functional market where you do not get messed around with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭riddles

I looked on daft the other day and in three counties in the midlands there were in total 22 for rental.

Is there a point where a reality check happens. It’s now almost the norm for adults who are single in decent paying jobs to have to live at home with their parents.

We are seeing the impact of decades worth of misuse of economic migrants as refugees system. We are socially housing EU citizens here and many have never worked. Why not issue an EU directive where socially housed EU citizens need to return home to ensure we have capacity to host Ukrainians.

Almost refugees forever as a policy needs to be reviewed when most routinely go home for holidays.

we are now seeing a refugee crisis and the misused system has no capacity to deal with a crisis.

we are a soft touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

Irish Times are reporting today that Ireland might now be expected to take in up to 100,000 refugees. Minister of state Anne Rabbitte "said significant numbers could begin arriving within weeks or sooner." Where exactly are they going to live?

Watch the next few months, as every available residential property is snapped up by the government no matter the cost. Say goodbye to home ownership for most of us.

agree the market is dysfunctional and we need a ton more supply, but what do you expect us to do about the refugees from Ukraine? Refuse to take them?

• Advertisement

So what's new? Same questions were being asked before Ukraine happened..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,262 ✭✭✭Elessar

An immediate need for accommodation for an additional 100,000 people is what's new. You don't believe this will have an impact on the market?

Not really, at least in terms of what will happen. The government was already snapping up properties regardless of cost, and most people have already kissed goodbye to home ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭sutrapall

Bare minimum start, the foreign REITs should have their papers torn up and told to fook off, to stay fooked off, and thanked for the misery they contributed. Kiss their "assets" goodbye. To hell with consequences when it's already so bad. The handwringing is over.

Everything needs to be investigated after that, who was a part of this housing crisis, who profited, who encouraged, who enabled, who invited, who's related to who, where's the money gone and then go to town. Dig them out of the ground if needs be and put them on display. This has to be so utterly annihilated that it's unthinkable to ever do again. It'll be a long list.

Nothing will make this gameshow of a country more obvious than when the ukrainians start pouring in by the 10's of thousands, and magically housed, when the conspirators of this housing crisis wouldn't do it for Irish people. Scamville.

People better be out on the streets for this one, anything goes style.

Well once you have it all thought out. Breaking EU law and international law are not things you can ignore.

If you think refugees are going to have accommodation suitable for permanent living you are delusional. They are going to be put in temporary accommodation. Last I heard on property they are talking about is an empty hospital on Baggot Street. If you can't grasp that concept and humanitarian efforts you really aren't worth talking to too or listening to.

Oh they very much are things you can ignore. Stacks of paper versus living reality, one is paramount, the other bureaucracy. Willpower is the difference, and once again points to the crookedness.

As for ukrainians, you'd be a monkeys Uncle if you think the vast majority are going to return home. Watch and see as the war dwindles into the background and everyone "forgets". They'll be housed, and their cousins and grandparents and personal optometrists and what have you afterward, let there be zero doubt. All transformed into more pressure and convenient excuses to keep the housing crisis ticking along nice and profitably.

• Advertisement

You can ignore them now but not forever. The country would end up in the courts trying to explain how they seized private property. The country then would have to pay them back along with the punitive damages and fines. You would actually be supporting the government theft from private citizens investments. Would you have an issue with the government taking what you have? What is the point of ignoring something you can't ignore for ever?

I never said refugees would go home after things settle down. I don't expect they all will but most will as it is their home. If you don't think Ireland should adhere to their legal and moral responsibilities that is your issue it is going to happen anyway. I would rather take refugees and kick you out of the country due to your views and intelligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

Lol! Lol! Watch realestate4ransom on youtube. It explains why government love rip off property prices...

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Cal4567

I think some will stay but as with Poland, many will leave here and return to their home to Ukraine. For every Polish person I have known since 2004, both here and in the UK, about half have returned to Poland, although to be honest, the financial crash accelerated that. Plus the growth in the Polish economy.

Temporary accommodation in hotels and large scale modular being built on fields on the edge of towns if it is to be as many as 100,000. The empty properties to a large extent need works and in many cases significant works, that takes time and labour. Both of those are not easy for us, but some of it is possible.

It would be quite ironic if the State finally had to invest in large scale construction to meet the needs of Ukrainian refugees when it didn't do that for the indigenous population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

All these promises whilst well intentioned by government are laudable, its utterly bonkers. Already cracks surfacing and I just don't get were 100k are going to be housed. It's all well and good people being generous offering their Homes or accommodation but these offers are realistically only short term solutions and I'd wager only practical in Urban locations.

I don't have a solution but it seems extraordinary, give the current crisis in housing and indeed health service, the Government making an awful lot of promises they can't fulfill.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

So when Sinn Fein are in government, they will love them too I guess. SF are just another political party now, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

I doubt they will be much or any better. There would need to be drastic intervention and action and with all the vested interests, this is irish governance we are talking about. Backward, nimby gobshitery. Better off leaving the place if the council aren't giving you a free luxury home...

Change the regulations, ignore the regulations, whatever you like. It can be done, it should have done before now. You're full of excuses, all of which go back maintaining the housing crisis.

You're heavily invested in this housing crisis, aren't you? Of course you are. A glance at the excuses and mental leaps tells you everything.

Fook all of ye that attempt to keep robbing people, fook ye all, ye two-faced bastards. You'll get it in the end.

We can't change international law to suit ourselves. You are starting with a impossibility and want another impossibility to apply it. You claim it can be done then tell us how because I am telling you how we can't do it? I am full of reasons why your proposal is stupid not excuses.

Can you tell me what mental leaps I have made. Is it that we agreed to international law and signed up for it? Is it that we have legal responsibilities as EU members for refugees? Make a claim then support it so far you failed to do that.

You going to make me get it? You keep hoping for the revolution where you are the upright person who proposes state theft of property, abandoning refugees and breaking our legal responsibilities. It won't happen and I will still be doing better than you as you rage away refusing to listen to any sense. I'll be a happier person than for sure because here you are in a rage wanting the impossible to happen. I would wish you good luck but I actually don't care what happens to you as you don't seem like a nice person.

"I'll still be doing better than you" you say, when you mean you're invested in maintaining this housing crisis.

You're a great person, I'm sure, so full of confidence in your fellow shaisters that youre in like lightning to defend against anyone correctly pointing out the truth of the matter.

Can't do this, can't do that, this law, that regulation, refugees, commitments this, humanitarian that, excuses excuses excuses excuses to keep it all going.

Of course you'd rather have me out of the country in place of some random rent generator from fook knows where, of course you would. A good hurley is whats needed for the likes of that, traitorous, two-faced, profiteering yokes. Off ye can fook now, happy man, with your bag of excuses.

Still notice you can't support your claims. They aren't excuses if they are you can prove that we don't have legal responsibilities and can just ignore them do so. If not you are just making claims I KNOW can't happen. You saying we can just ignore them doesn't make it fact.

I will live my best life while you continue to rage. Are you happy like that? I worked for what I have and you want to take what people have worked for no different from what the English did to Ireland by removing property rights. Some of us are against such things in fact I would say most of the country.

I have done nothing illegal but you are proposing illegal acts and I am the bad guy? What am I doing that is two faced? What are you doing about the housing crisis? You going to batter sense into me is hilarious. I kept people from being homeless. You have done what? I would like the crazy xenophobic people like yourself out of the country because they have a negative value on community and don't contribute. Unless you can teall us all the great things you offer the country? You are cowardly in your responses and refuse to answer questions put to you but I am the bad guy according to you. Don't think many people would agree with that

You quote the English and their attitude to my country during colonisation, then simultaneously speak freely of replacing pesky people like me who call out the farce of the housing situation.

Typically stupid. You'd expect no less of a profiteer who treats my country like a cash colony. Not to be redundant, but the English had all their laws and regulations and "did nothing wrong" at the time either. This country needs people like you like it needed the English colonialists.

You've freely admitted that you're invested in maintaining the housing crisis. Listening to you is like many a con-man, it sounds sensible and correct on first telling, but a scratch on the surface reveals all beneath.

Fair play to ye, so not only do you have a bag of excuses, you have a bag of cash off it all. Congratulations. Tell us more about the housing crisis from which you profit, and how there's nothing can be done about it, it's all all very believable and genuine.

The housing situation is a farce, but you have no solution other than to renege on EU and international laws, seizing the property of foreign companies in the process. I assume than that you’re anti EU therefore (as ejection from the EU would be logical end result), would like to see us out of every international agreement and standing completely on our own, proud on our rock. But sure we’ll be ‘free’

Or we could just build more houses

Shocking as it may come, I don't have a 500 page manifesto at the ready to put in a post on boards.ie. It's good enough to point out the basics, and REITs being given the heave-ho is indeed a most, most, most obvious start.

Anything can be done if the will is there, no need to quote eu regulations and such, it would be the most circular argument since Sir Circle argued for squares in Circle Castle.

"We need to change the law of this thing."

"But we can't change the law of this thing because of the law of this thing."

No need for the anti-eu conjecture, it's neither here nor there about anything.

As for the "just build more houses" chestnut...hoooooooly Moses, it's actually hard to credit that such demonstrably untrue ideas are still banging around. Maybe another decade of believing that tripe will work, eh, that's what it needs? Anything built won't be bought by REITs, filled with whoever from wherever, yep, what we need is MORE of the problem, that's the problem! A genuine achievement of the media and boys, I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Housing madness indeed.

No I didn't quote the English I just pointed out why we have some of our own laws and the similarities between your ideals and theirs. You should look up the word "quote" because you don't know what it means

Any chance you can stop acting cowardly and actually explain your views and how they can be applied? How about quoting a law or giving the legal principle you think is relevant? How about how we renegotiate the terms of our EU membership? Nothing you say has any relevance without back up which you cannot provide.

I am sure you are a happy person even if you are trolling

• Advertisement

You compared the English taking Ireland's land with me saying that FOREIGN interests should be booted out of Ireland....but somehow equating that with Irish people having their land taken????

Think, McFly, think.

My comparison, actually appropriate, is that your stinking attitude, that of treating the country like a cash colony, is actually exactly like the English occupation. And similar to their stupid rationalisation, you wouldn't mind if the likes of me were gotten rid of, and replaced. Silly troublemakers that we are, complaining about an artificially produced housing crisis.

Those pesky Irish and their potatoe blight, wouldn't it be nice if we could just get rid of them. Those pesky Irish and their housing complaints, wouldn't it be nice if we could just get rid of them. We're making money off them, fook them. Replace them with nice silent whoever's from wherever, lovely.

And you suppose I'm going to get into some genuine "debate" on the minutiae of international laws with you? Good one!

You are invested in the maintenance of this housing crisis by your own admittance, pretty much everything you say after that fact is irrelevant. In fact, whatever you say is likely to be the opposite of a good thing for this country. So many of your like about the place, nothing special, but all harmful. And look how they treat the Irish people...they'd be ready to throw them out on their ear if they could, all about the profit. Believe them when the mask slips.

Bloody fascinating in it's own way, you boot one lot of land crooks out of the country, in slip a new generation of housing vampires. A word to the wise, don't listen to the advice of a vampire latched about your neck.

Discussion over as you aren't discussing anything. Live your miserable life all you want nothing is going to happen like you want

As if you had a discussion in mind at all, Mr Vampire.

Listen to the vampires, folks, they are very sure they can keep drinking your blood. Are ye going to let it keep going, or not? Are ye going to stand up to this, or not? We'll see.

As for your lovely imagination on my life being miserable, pointless to say on an internet full of lies and c*nts, you, Mr Vampire, would be lucky to have a fraction of what I possess and am, in every way. I'm just pissy about vampires, that's all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I like your comment in another post. Dig them out of the ground if needs be and put them on display.

If you have a house yourself, that could be some of your own relations.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭AngeloArgue

So, let me see if I'm getting this right.

Properties owned by foreign investors are to be nationalised and the owners aren't going to be compensated. And this is supposed to help the with the provision of housing how?

Are the tenants going to be evicted and replaced with those on social housing lists?

Do you not think that seizing landlords property without recourse would have a negative effect on investment?

Or does the state become the only landlord?

I can promise nobody in my circle had anything to do with purposefully inflating prices. Simply said.

Yes, foreign REITs should be hung out to dry.

Yes, it would no doubt damage our investment reputation as a bunch of imbeciles, "treasure island Inc" may take a hit. Oh, no, terrible.

Yes, having more national housing within control is better than entities intent on maximum profit.

Yes, having national control of properties left purposefully empty by REITs would be better.

No, it wouldn't mean tenants would be evicted. Bearing in mind I stated it as "a start", that would obviously operate in tandem would other policy.

I'm all ears now to hear your general idea on solving the housing crisis. If it begins with "build more houses" forget it, pure rubbish evidenced by near a decade.

Always major side-eye to anyone "just asking questions", because the truth of it is that so many people have been willingly and unwillingly roped into this pyramid scheme of a housing crisis, you can't trust anyone to be honest with their "just questions".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The ones alive today could be descended from land grabbers who survived the Famine and did not have to emigrate.

You can worry about your flagellated ancestors evicting bacteria off a rock unjustifiably countless millennnia back.

I'll settle my ire on the last 20 odd years of humans screwing the country up, thankyouverymuchsugarandspice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭BattleCorp1

I'm all ears now to hear your general idea on solving the housing crisis. If it begins with "build more houses" forget it, pure rubbish evidenced by near a decade.

You've lost all credibility if you think building more houses isn't part of the solution.

Advertisement