Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2022/2023

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭fitzparker

I agree about Shelvey, he is too slow for the league, he just hasn't got the legs.

Providing we stay up it will be an interesting Window, Shelvey is in contract until 2023. I don't think this years window will be good enough to get rid of him yet, he still has a place for me . i'd rather bring him on than Sean Longstaff/Hendrick/Hayden if we are looking to get back into the game

but his game time will greatly reduce next season, Bruno will replace him, so having having Shelvey and Hayden on the bench isn't a bad option, the other 2 can go.

I'v said it all along im not a fan of Miggy and think we might be able to still get 15 - 20m for him in this window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Fattybojangles

The Shelvey new contract is a little puzzling he's been good recently but he's getting on a bit now I suppose they think he's good to have around the dressing room and will be a good sub option.

On another note I'm flying over Friday morning for the Brighton game a game on form we should win but considering our poor PL record against Brighton(we've never beaten them in PL) and the fact that I'm going to it means we probably won't 🤣. In all seriousness I haven't looked forward to a game this much in a long time I can't wait to experience the buzz around a proper United Mike Ashley free St James's Park it's been a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Shelvey being here next season as a backup is fine and if his contract runs out in 2023 then that sounds like the perfect time to part ways. Schar is a more than capable defender and contract is up this summer so i'd be happy to give him a 2 year deal as a back up centre half.

Brighton once again feels like a huge game. With Palace getting through in the FA Cup last night it means our next 4 games after are all away from home. So again we REALLY need to win this or in 5 games time we could find ourselves in the bottom 3 again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Lucky man, I'd love to be going over again, id say theres a real buzz about the city now & some atmosphere in the stadium. I really fancy us given the way we're playing & their recent form, if we dont get at least a draw, ill be shocked. Hopefully St.Maxim will be back & fresh & more game time for Bruno also.

2-1

if ASM is back id be disappointed not getting the win. the past 2 games without him the players have put in a great shift, he can only make it better.

our form and belief we should not fear anyone outside the "top 6"

St james is also a fortress at the moment, its a long journey for Brighton and the fans can make it an even longer one home

WOR Flags are also expanding to the east stand, making it 3 areas now, so it will be a great spectacle to be at!!

Yeah I'm genuinely buzzing for it now my first game since 2020 but this time there is a real hope and excitement about the place again its been a while!

Would be better if she kept her mouth closed closed in relation to anything to do with Abramovich, wasnt like he or Chelsea were welcoming them with open arms to the premiership.

Delighted with the below though,

Staveley said she and her husband, Mehrdad Ghodoussi, the current co-chief executives of the club, hoped to appoint their replacement soon.

‘We know we are not the right CEO material for Newcastle… because we haven’t had the experience other CEOs have had,’ said Staveley.

‘We are shareholders. We want to work on a daily basis with whichever new chief executive joins us. We have had some amazing candidates. We are trying to find the best and I hope we are doing a good job, the test of that will be six months down the line.’

Thank the heavens a new ceo is coming in. Looking forward to seeing who it'll be.

Maybe she’s just setting her stall out so she’s not called a hypocrite in the future ?

Great stuff, hope you enjoyed the game Fattybojangles:)

Looking good for survival now thank god. Rode our luck more than a few times.

Some observations from what I saw but I'm sure Fatty being at the match can give a better analysis

1) Bruno Guimaraes is very slow, so slow that its a concern whether he will be able to perform in this league or not. Was wondering why Howe hasnt started him yet but its clear now, he's a good bit off the pace & this is only going to be exacerbated by the less game time he gets. He did play a great pass to St. Maxim which I know hes famous for but I just dont know if he suits our current style which seems to rely heavily on high intensity.

2) Scoring two goals so early resulted in us taking our foot off the gas too much. They pretty much dominated the second half, we were very lucky to come away with the win. Need to get better at killing off teams.

3) St Maxims position is & should be under threat. Gave the ball away far too many times & doesn't chase back enough when we're in trouble. We tend to become a more vulnerable team when he comes on. No doubt he's got the ability to score a wonder goal out of nowhere but its debatable whether thats enough for him to retain his position. I see now why a lot of the big teams haven't shown an interest in him yet, he needs to cut the histrionics out also.

4) Burn & Schar are an excellent pairing in the centre of defence, Howe has luckily fallen on this because of Lascalles unavailability but they are as good as I've seen from a Newcastle team in a long time. Extremely important we get Schar signed up asap, he's going to be in demand based on his recent performances. Hes a far superior and intelligent defender to Lascalles. And what a header, quality.

5) Krafth is a serious weakness in our defence, nearly every forward pass they played was to the right side of our defence. Opposition teams have clearly identified him as such. The sooner Trippier is back the better but Krafth is not up to it at this level. Needs to be moved on in the summer.

Other than that, delighted & now we can focus on trying to finish in mid table rather than getting embroiled in a relegation scrap hopefully.

• Advertisement

Yeah I enjoyed the result and atmosphere immensely today the performance not so much but they always say a sign of a good team is to win without playing well.

Centre midfield was a problem today Joelinton did well both Willock and especially Shelvey struggled today Bruno needs a start to judge him properly. Dan Burn and Schar were immense today Targett was class aswell but Schar is a rolls royce of a defender all class.

Ryan Fraser was our best attacking player by a distance Howe has worked wonders with him a proper manager.

It doesnt look like how wants to change a winning team, but anyone can see Manquillo is a better option at right back until Trip is back.

On Bruno, your point could be right, but is he Shelvey slow?

when I saw the pics/videos of him joining us straight away I thought he looked chunky in the face and has to work hard to keep the weight off....he will fall into the category of your typical Brazilian that blows out 3 months after retirement.

Schar deal has to get wrapped up, a champions league team will swipe him up on a free.

as for ASM, his petulance is starting to creep in, when he plays and we need to defend, ive noticed our tactics is ASM stays up top and we go 4 in midfield with joelinton covering left, when we attack joe comes centre ASM goes wide left.

Burn deserves a call up to the England squad!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Picking Krafth over Manquillo is a strange one for me too. Whenever I watch Manquillo play he’s impressive, looks comfortable with the ball & creative going forward whereas Krafth more often has me shouting angrily at the telly! Only thing I can think of is there must be something I’m not seeing that Krafth does & Manquillo doesn’t that puts the young Swede ahead when the team is being selected.

Not a fan of Shelvey by any means but he seems to a better fit then Bruno currently. Maybe its a lack of game time which is affecting his movement, who knows, I would agree that a full 90 minutes is needed to assess him properly.

If we get another win against Southampton on Thursday, that takes us to 31 points with 11 games to go. Our run in is tough but we should be safe enough to stay up then & try out some new styles, formations, strategies & players especially Bruno more.

Hope their developing ideas about who we're going to get in the summer also.

Agree about Dan Burn, hes been immense & gone up a notch since his Brighton days

It seems our option to buy on Targett is 15 million I think we should activate that ASAP that's a steal.

• Advertisement

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/03/08/newcastle-enter-race-sign-chelseas-antonio-rudiger-free-transfer/

Could be just nonsense but it would be a huge signing for us. Imagine having him, Schar, Burn & Lascalles to a lesser degree competing for the centre back positions next season. I think he'd be our first proper big name signing as well.

A back four of of Targett, Schar/Burn, Rudiger, Trippier wouild be an excellent foundation for us next season to build on. Wouldnt affect our FFP too much either as he'd be on a free & we could spread the payments out.

Looking for big money but I cant see Real Madrid or Barcelona paying that, PSG possibility but outside of that, only Man United and they'd probably have to get rid of their club captain & record signing to do that, Maguire.

We get him & I could really see some top drawer quality signings following then.

Yah, thats a great price for him, seems like a good pro & a decent character to have in the dressing room as well. Have been extremely impressed with him since he joined. Hope its not something that Villa can renege on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭pavb2

Targett was a good signing for Villa good attitude, consistent performer and won squad player of the season 20/21. He scored some important goals but reading the reports on his conversation with Steven Gerrard, the signing of Digne and him wanting regular first team football I don’t think he’ll be back at Villa.

Didnt realise he actually won squad player of the season in 20/21 for them. Seems like a really good character, think he's trying to prove a point too. He's excellent value at 15m, based on his performances for us so far, he's worth at least double that & has no doubt contributed to the harmonious atmosphere in the dressing room on top of everything else.

Maybe should have stuck to representing Scotland though, he'd be a quality addition to that team. Hard to see him displacing Shaw or Chilwell with England especially with Southgate as manager.

Unfortunately for Targett Scotland have 2 world class players and they both play left back Robertson and Tierney he actually has a better chance of getting into England team Shaw has been muck recently and Chilwell is injured although to be honest I couldn't give a stuff whether he plays for England.

• Advertisement

Yeah he's solid as a rock I was at the Brighton game at the weekend and their main tactic was switching it quickly out to their pacy full backs Lamptey and Cuccerlla yet never once did Targett look in trouble against Lamptey who was eventually taken off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

on a solid run, this team wouldn't have come back from behind and maintain the lead a few months ago

also am feeling a bit confused that i missed joelington in the midfield

Incredible comeback and result again.

After all Hassenhuttls bitching about the rearrangement and not being allowed to play January arrivals it was so so sweet that two men signing for 65 million were the ones to inflict defeat on them tonight! Hahahah

Brilliant to shove that down whinging Ralph's throat the guy who hates money in football yet managed red bull Leipzig?

As for the performance unbelievable they'd only lost 1 home game before tonight so to come from behind and beat them is incredible.

Bruno looks to have real quality Shelvey brilliant Joe Willock was everywhere the block at the end summed him up Fraser never stopped all night absolutely delighted for Wood all his graft earned him that goal ah fcuk it they were all brilliant.

Eddie Howe has to take a bow what a job he has done since he's come in the improvement has been unreal I actually can't put it into words.

joint second in Europe for most points taken in 2022, that is some going.

This was all done with the majority of games without at least 2 if not all of our best players out at any one time (ASM,Wilson,Tripp) its also refreshing that we have depth when Joelinton is out the likes of Bruno can slot in.

The performances without the flare players mentioned above haven't been great, but the passion and motivation is second to none, in the past run we have been on 3 games we were losing, under previous regimes we would have rolled over, but Eddie and Jason have these lads playing with confidence and belief .

2 things to take from this:

1. Wood was the last to walk into the dressing room last night (must have been doing interviews) the reception the lads gave him was brilliant, as they knew what it meant, all egos are out the door. (the video is on Newcastle's social pages)
    2. Lets start showing belief, rather than being 10 points from the drop we are 5 points from 9th! imagine saying that after the cambridge game!
    Post edited by fitzparker on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Eddie Howe confirmed as manager of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭chewed

No surprise there! He's done the impossible over the past few months.

I’d nearly be in favour of resting a few guys for tomorrow v Chelsea. Ones who have played the last 9/10 games in a row. Likes of Shelvey/Willock/Schar/Fraser.

Treat is as a free hit and be well rested for Thursday against Everton where we have a real chance of 3 points.

I'd say Schar could be rested today he wasn't moving as freely towards the end on Thursday.

This is our toughest game in a long time I just hope we are competitive for as long as possible and stay in the game and you never know then.

I'd say Joelinton will come back in And hopefully we see ASM as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

BBC reporting Joelington and SM are not going to feature due to injury and illness

• Advertisement

5-4-1 Fraser and ASM on bench Willock Shelvey and Joelinton missing completely.

Absolutely criminal that's as close corruption as I've ever seen rotten.

Ref was a prick no doubt but although we set up very negatively today, I think they should be proud of the performance. Missing 6/7 first team players & they only manage to beat us in the 89th minute. Insane the amount of players we have out at the moment, Trippier, Joelinton, Willock, Shelvey, Wilson, Fraser & St. Maxim only came on with 20 minutes to go.

Stonewall penalty & a sending off not given, load of bull, wtf is the point of VAR if its not going to be used to improve poor decisions. Do away with it all together if this BS is going to continue.

Officials have cost us at least a point today, possibly all 3. Hope it doesn’t matter come the end of the season.

Yeah I agree 100% with this it seems to me that refs won't make a decision because of VAR and then VAR won't overturn a refs supposed decision Coote was horrendous yesterday and he couldn't even see the challenge on Murphy from where he was laughable stuff.

I really hope we take this out on Everton on Thursday.

Bar an absolute collapse we should be safe now, who would people like to see signed in the summer & which contracts renewed. As for me, id love to see the below

Goalkeeper- Keep Dubravka but I'd like to see us get someone who could legitimately challenge him for his place. I think Caoimhe Kelleher would be ideal, wont be cheap but its an extremely important position and he's one of our own. No two ways about it, he's going to be a star. Can't see him displacing one of the best goalkeepers in the world anytime soon & Allison is only 29 after all, very young for a goalie, Kelleher wont be happy to sit on the bench for much longer if he's anyway ambitious.

Defence - Sign Targett, he's been excellent, renew Schar, get Botsman or Carlos possibly Rudiger but he's a long shot. Unlikely Howe will sell Lascalles but he'll do for backup for now. Keep Manquillo, get rid of Krafth, get rid of Dummet. Sign another full back possibly Marcos Acuna or Reguilon seeing as he's fallen out of favour at spurs.

Midfield - Keep Willock, Joelinton, Shelvey & obviously Bruno. Get rid of S.longstaff, then sign possibly Wijnaldum or someone like Conor Gallagher.

Forwards - Keep Wilson, Wood as a backup but someone who could make a claim for the place, possibly Werner if Chelsea go south. Someone with a point to prove. Would be happy with Calvert Lewin also as he must have a relegation release clause if they do go down or even Tammy Abraham.

What baffled me was it was a choice of 2 things with the Murphy challenge

A stone wall peno

Or

A stone wall goalkick

How in the name of God a corner was given???? Not even sky mentioned it.

Regarding next season we will need a good clear out for me

Both longstaffs, hendrick,Gayle,Almiron

2 from lacelles/Fernández/Clarke

One from dummett/Ritchie/Lewis

One from kraft/manquillo

Two from Woodman/Darlow/Gillespie

If we are going for irish keeper I'd rather Bazuna.

Dream signing:

Son or Kane

I'd let both Ritchie and Lewis leave.

Hold on to Dummet as an emergency centre/left back. Targett starting with Burn/Manquillo/Trippier all capable of playing there. In fact you could probably let Dummett go too.

Would love to win tonight as i think it would guarantee our safety however i think its much more important not to lose the game. I'd take a point now to make sure Everton stay down and around the relegation zone.

• Advertisement

Big game tonight, they're going to be fighting for the lives & the crowd are going to get behind them if they're given any sort of encouragement in their play. We need to win this one if we have any aspirations in finishing close to midtable.

Would like to see this lineup.

Dubraka, Manquillo, Schar, Burn, Targett, Willock, Joelinton, Shelvey/Guimaraes, Fraser, Wood, Saint Maxim.

Hope Howe doesnt go very conservative again like we did against Chelsea. I felt if we had more of our first team available in that match & were more ambitious we could have got a result at least. Still didnt play badly though & were unlucky to lose considering what they got away with.

Dan Burn has really cost us big time there tonight. Wreckless running out of defence at Iwobi and then not taking him out when he slipped past him.

Two games in a row now he’s cost us unfortunately.

We are far from out of this relegation battle yet.

Sickened with that we were poor all game got what we deserved I think we need the upcoming break. I thought we missed shelvey badly tonight but christ losing to them hurts they'll be crowing for weeks because they finally managed to win a game.

I don't think I've disliked an opposition player more than that Gordon for them tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭macraignil

I agree Burn did not do a lot to defend the goal but I think it is a bit harsh to blame a single player for both losses. I can't remember Begovic in the Everton goal having to do a whole lot to keep a clean sheet either and Everton seemed just more motivated for the fight to win to me. Also agree that the relegation battle is not over yet.

Both the goal for Chelsea and Everton were well executed attacking moves that put Burn in a position where he could not stop them but that is what good attacking players do.

Controlling possession and building attacks seems to be something the team is less able to do when Shelvey is not in the team from what I can see. Saint-Maximin coming on to be the focus of counterattacks near the end of a game has been out smarted too easily and I would have much preferred to see him on from the start and drawing the extra cover to make space for other players through more of the game time.

When you make a huge mistake in the 89th minute and then the 94th minute of a game which results in a goal unfortunately the blame will be put on your shoulders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭macraignil

The Chelsea goal in the 89th minute was a pinpoint cross to a very well timed run from Kai Havertz. To me it looked like a well executed move from Chelsea who were pressing on the Newcastle defense for much too much time during the game. My first impression was that they were left too much time on the ball to put the cross in rather than having expected Burn to be somehow able to stop the run from Havertz. I think it was unfortunate he was unable to prevent it but it did not look to me like he could have done a lot about it so I would not have thought of it as his mistake.

The Everton goal was again started by poor play in midfield where the overused tactic of give the ball to Sain-Maximin was predicted and prevented and rather than holding possession and continuing the attack the ball was lost and quickly fed on to a fast running Iwobi who easily side stepped Burn. There was still time and numbers for another challenge and the goal being prevented so again I think it is a bit harsh to blame it entirely on Burn trying to press the ball. I would have thought all the defensive midfielders running forward at the same time and leaving the defense with no protection was a bigger mistake in the build up to the goal.

Anyway I'm not part of the Newcastle coaching staff so will leave it to the professionals to assign blame if you think that is going to be a productive avenue for improving the team. At least they now have a wake up call and should know that they are not out of the fight to stay in the league just yet.

• Advertisement

Havent watched the match in detail yet as I was having a few last night while it was on but I think we're still 80% sure to stay up. After spurs away next, we have wolves, Leicester & palace at home, if we manage to even only get 5 points from those three matches, it still takes us to 36 which I think will be enough this year. The most disappointing thing about last night was our ambition of finishing in the top ten looks very unlikely now.

Things I noticed last night.

• Howe really doesnt seem to fancy Saint Maxim, last night was a big game & to start Almiron ahead of him was a big call. Saint Maxim strikes me as a player who needs his manager to believe in him & is heavily reliant on his own confidence. He actually might be the surprise exit in the summer now. I wasnt overly impressed with him when he came on but he needs more game time.
    • I would agree that in both matches the defence have been under severe pressure & when this occurs, mistakes, loss of concentration is going to happen. Our inability to see games out, control possession is contributing to this in a big way. I wouldnt be pointing the finger at Dan Burn yet, he's been immense since he came in along with Schar. We need to do better in possession & create more attacking opportunities to give our defence a breather more often. Bruno is still I think a bit off the pace I think & IMO the jury is out whether he will suit this league or the type of football we want to play. Shelvey seems to be more streetwise & better at retaining possession. Wood needs a break too which we're unfortunately unable to give him yet. Saint Maxim is far too wasteful in possession & lacking in effort when he comes on but this could be because of a drop in confidence & lack of faith in him from the manager. I think all of these issues will be addressed in the summer though
    • I was surprised that Howe started Krath again last night ahead of Manquillo, this is concerning imo because I actually rate manquillo but Krafth on the other is a major weak link in our defence. Makes me think Howe could be looking to move Manquillo on in the summer too.
    • We need a better keeper or someone to at least challenge Dubravka for his spot, that was a piss poor goal for him to concede last night. As I said previously, I'd like to see kelleher brought in or even Bazuna as Fitz previously mentioned to challenge him.

Overall though, even though its very disappointing to lose to them in the manner we did, I think we'll be alright this season. Howe needs to make shrewd moves in the summer though. Seems like he has a clear idea on how he wants his teams to play & it doesnt look at the moment like a number of players at the club suit it.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Are we likely to be able to prise Kelleher away from Liverpool, or Bazuna from City? Will either club let them go to a potential up & coming rival? Both fantastic keepers & brights prospects for the future.

Cant see either of them displacing Ederson or Allison at either of those clubs though. Probably the two best keepers in world football currently. Probably have a bit more of a chance in signing Kelleher as hes going on 24 compared to Bazuna who just turned 20. Neither of those goalkeepers cant be happy sitting on the bench or going out on loan continously. Kelleher has been dropped for the FA Cup now so I doubt he'll be happy with that. Newcastle are an attractive proposition for them. I dont think City or Liverpool consider us a threat yet.

Trippier and Wilson aiming to be back for the Palace and Norwich games they'd be a very welcome boost.

That'd be huge as both those games are very winnable for us & would take us to 37, safe then imo. I guess we have to expect they wont be immediately match fit but even to have their presence there would be a big help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement