Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seplos BMS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Geeyfds53573

I assume Seplos should get to 100% no warnings then just standby waiting to discharge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

With my Growatt inverter, it refuses to discharge when the BMS gets the Intermittent Power Supply Waiting error. Either the inverter does not call for power or the BMS does not heed the call. I have had to manually set the battery capacity at a higher level so the BMS sees the battery at below 96% and then it starts behaving as normal. It's pretty annoying.

mine has discharged fine @garo more than once after hitting 100% - might be limited for a few minutes but it does discharge - so is it a grid tied inverter related issue so? I thought from memory Growatt was well tested by Seplos so I’m surprised. If left does the Growatt inverter start to error?

No I haven't got any errors. I gave it a couple of hours and it didn't start discharging. i contacted Seplos and they talked to the growatt engineer and got me to update the inverter firmware but still no joy.

Interesting so your stuck in limbo that’s very strange - does it stay stuck on standby? so not the same issue as my concern is the inverter bombs out - if it didn’t I’d be fine - so the “intermittent… warning is standard functionality so maybe the export settings on the Solis might help

• Advertisement

Yeah the BMS stays stuck on standby so a different issue to yours. The inverter does not bomb out. At least I haven't seen it do anything. It also detect the battery as 100% full.

Have you seen others with 100% issues? Outside of Ireland? Are Seplos still investigating your issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭irishchris

Does this mean you are pulling from grid continuously until seplos is restarted? Seems massive issue that I hope not to encounter when I receive my cells.

for me inverter bombs out (not pleasant) then all comes back online so no grid or nothing - the bomb out recovers and all seems fine - presumably it would continue in this cycle if I didn’t discharge

When you say "bombs out" do you mean inverter restarts or what is happening?

This seems a deal breaker for seplos as otherwise defeats the purpose of having solar if production halts unless manual restart

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭championc

If you want to resolve issues, don't leave the problem to someone else. Engage with Seplos directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭reklamos

I got onto seplos and they sound like they have never seen it before. I will need to record this problem and send the video to them.

Sorry if it appeared that way. I have indeed sent them details and will see what happens.

Seems similar problems with the seplos BMS last September looking at this forum. Surely somebody reported it to them back then

https://diysolarforum.com/threads/growatt-sph4600-seplos-200a-16s-bms.27929/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

How about the solis guys try this to stop the battery from going to 100% by using the python modbus script?

if(soc >= 98)
      modbus.write_holding_register(register_addr=43141, value=0) # Set charge current to 0A
    else
      modbus.write_holding_register(register_addr=43141, value=500) # Set charge current to 50A

Not sure if it will work in practice but in theory it should.

Bit of a hacky way to do it and it shouldn't be needed but could be a temp fix.

Don't suppose you know of any basic guide to modbus? Been years since ever did any coding and that would have been c++ back in the day

Talked to seplos reseller and he reckons been using his with Solis for over a year without issues. Uses goodwe as the inverter make in the can menu of seplos as most similar to Solis. But he isn't sure what battery he has selected in Solis. Said he'd check when home tonight.

The automation part will be last resort for me. I would like it to work independantly. The other thing is that once I connect my second battery I may never reach 100% but non the less I would like this to get resolved.

Can anyone with seplos and Solis try selecting goodwe as inverter and aobo as battery. SEPLOS agent reckons that he has this combination working perfectly for over 12 months with no errors

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭E30M3

Just to add to the what I can

I had Software Ver on my Solis inverter of 33001F and got the Batt-fail issue with Sofar and AoBo. I requested a S/W update on the Inverter from Solis (OTA 5G) and I now have

this now connects successfully without the Inverter shutting down and erroring out.

On the AoBo battery settings can I ask what people are using on the Solis Inverter for

'ForceCharge SOC'

ForceChg Limit'

and

'Overdischg SOC'

Tks

• Advertisement

Just had a look there Chris.

No Goodwe option to select on my Seplos. Growatt, Pylon, Victron, Sofar or Luxpower

Thanks for update. So your HMI version was updated. Looks like 34 had some bug. The interesting part is that your battery protocol is LG where as my is GCL. Now it could be because my inverter is 4G, but since the protocol is LG it could be that your inverter would also take LG as battery for seplos?

The 'ForceCharge SOC' and 'Overdischg SOC' are linked together. 'ForceCharge SOC' will always be lower than 'Overdischg SOC'. 'ForceChg Limit' will vary depending on BMS, battery and inverter.

The setting that I have are as follows, mind you I have backup load connected and I do reserve battery in case of power cut:

Overdischg SOC: 20%

ForceCharge SOC: 16%

ForceChg Limit: 20Amps

I've set these values because by default Seplos remaining capacity warning is at 16%. I just do not want it to start alarming. Also from what I've read these chinese cell should not go below 20% SOC. I was not letting any of my batteries below 20% even though pylons can go to 10% but that eats into cycles. ForceChg Limit: 20Amps equates to ~1kW and that is enough to bring it up required desired SOC. Yuo can go higher but for me low and slow is the way :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Anything new in that firmware? Last time I asked for a firmware upgrade, Solis support were a bit reluctant to do it without a good reason.

This is the 2nd firmware update I've requested via email and both done promptly with no Q's at all. Only thing I've noticed apart from the now successful pairing with the BMS is that there are some additional battery options but I haven't gone through them all but I can certainly check if someone has a q on a specific battery.

Thanks for update. So your HMI version was updated. Looks like 34 had some bug. The interesting part is that your battery protocol is LG where as my is GCL. Now it could be because my inverter is 4G, but since the protocol is LG it could be that your inverter would also take LG as battery for seplos?

Tried LG and Sofar but Inverter errors out straight away. Haven't tried other combos as going to focus on trying to configure the Sofar/AoBo combo and see where I get to unless anyone needs another combo tried and I'm happy to check here

Here is an idea how to house Seplos. I'm helping to setup battery for this person and he made a box for seplos out of postbox. I think it looks pretty good.

Post edited by reklamos on

I'm making progress with my Solis/Seplos combo

Couple of Pics in case they give anyone some ideas.

LCD Screen in 3d Printed Case

BMS on Plywood shelf on top of old blanket box that holds the batteries underneath, note I did not need to extend the BMS cables doing it this way so saved some work there.

And again with other plywood in place

Hope these pics aren't too large but I wanted to give as much detail as possible.

Connection to the Inverter from the Battery.

Shelf Brackets from Screwfix (Each rated to 100kg) overkill maybe but I wanted to be sure

Overall pic, Inverter and battery are in a Boiler room as you can see.

I have an issue I wanted to see if anyone else encountered.

BMS and Inverter are communicating but I am getting an erratic SOC. I had top balanced my batteries and the BMS showed them as almost fully charged. However when I connected them to the inverter they started to discharge briefly and then the SOC dropped immediately to 10% and gave a warning and the inverter started to charge. I detached the battery on the inverter as I wasn't sure if they could be inadvertently overcharged with the SOC all over the place.

When attached to inverter and briefly discharging.

and then drops and inverter starts charging

sorry for all the detail but should I let the inverter charge until cutoff or take a different approach here if anyone has had the same issue?

• Advertisement

Yes I posted in that thread as well. I think this problem is unique to the Growatt Seplos combo. I intend to re-engage with the Seplos engineer again. Have been tied up for the past week. I did update the inverter firmware and that seems to have fixed issues I was seeing with the battery discharging to 0%.

Advertisement