Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Winter 2021/22

• 06-12-2021 10:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭

Getting the winter thread up and running.

Some Sferics showing up on the wintery bands of showers crossing the country as we await Barra.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Clump of sferics off the west coast atm, west of Galway Bay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Thank you for doing a winter thread i do love my thunderstorms so I'm grateful 😁 ⚡

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭sudocremegg

Firece thunder storm in Waterford at the moment. Deep blue lighting. Power just cut there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quote : Firece thunder storm in Waterford at the moment. Deep blue lighting. Power just cut there.

Interesting, looks like an occluded front with high Theta E giving enough instability for some thunderstorms to break out. Were they elevated storms I wonder, I notice the ATD only picked up some of the strikes so thinking must have been a lot of in cloud activity . Blue lightning can indicate presence of hail. Dp very high this evening also at around 12C in the SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭sudocremegg

Yep, it was 12c on the dot when the lightning started. It kind of came out of nowhere, calm enough day then the winds picked up drastically and the rain was torrential, but it didn't feel like hail at all in the city. Went away as quick as it arrived. Lasted about 30 minutes in total. Bit mad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,489 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Only time I ever saw blue lightning was during an epic thundersnow episode in 2010 in Ringsend when I lived there.

Some interesting reading on lightning colours -https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/83505-the-colours-of-lightning/

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,235 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Quite a few sferics off the Clare coast now running up towards Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Some action around the Aran Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Numerous lightning flashes visible towards the northwest from Mayo at the moment. Appears to be from a showery trough out in the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Showing up well on the Met Eireann radar too... about ~20 miles off shore from Belmullet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Regular flashes of lightning looking west/northwest from my own location near Castlebar continuing to give a very impressive light show tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Stood out there looking north west. starry skies overhead and some lovely white flashes up towards Belmullet. High cloud tops. Someone on the coast getting a serious light show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Goldfinch8

Would imagine that it must have been an impressive sight alright looking out to sea on the Erris peninsula. Did the same also and stood out in the garden watching it unfold. It was a good lively show there for a while.

Lovely to see the stars also. Orion in all his glory there in the southern sky at the moment. Nice to have a bit of weather interest to start the new year off!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ferocious convective showers and becoming more frequent here in Kerry, hail and very squally. Fair bit of lightning showing up along the coasts today.

Heavy showers steaming through here this afternoon, some sferics showing over towards Loughrea.

http://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

Quite an active 24 hrs for thunderstorms.

Netweather

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

Very heavy hail and lightening here at the moment.

NE of Sneem in the Reeks.

Thunder in Cork City.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Big flash of lightening and loud thunder in cork city, big chunks of hail too

• Advertisement

Hailstones and lightening in Cork City.

Just one flash. Was this expected ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Ya, wasn't expecting that. Think we got hail, then some thunder and lightning here in Cork city. Got very heavy suddenly.

Very heavy rumbles. Haven't heard thunder that loud here before. It actually shook the hall door.

Some more flashes just now too.

Rumbling away, windy also.

Still flashing away from what looks like NW or the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Yeah the flash was really bright too, lit up the entire house which I hadn't seen before, even through the small cracks of the blackout blinds!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Jeju

Carrigtwohill here just passing over us now, large hail stones falling with it.

Intense little cell. Showing up loud and clear on https://www.blitzortung.org/en/live_lightning_maps.php

I suspect that might be an isolated show for tonight. Doesn't seem to be anything following it with that intensity.

I don't see anything having tripped out on ESB Powercheck in its track, certainly nothing big enough to be noticed by their SCADA/operations management system.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Anyone can answer how the hell there's hailstones cork city when it's not cold mildest winter in years

• Advertisement

Thunderstorm cells often produce intense hailstones, even in mid-summer. It's because they draw moist air very high into cold parts of the atmosphere and it drops down as intense rain, hail or even snow.

It's more surprising to see intense thunder in Ireland in January though. I assume we're about to see the end of the mild spell and a shift to much cooler weather this week.

Ireland's location is one of the least thundery places on earth. We don't get dramatic clashes of warm and cold fronts, which is usually what generates them. That's why we get a tad over excited about a bit of natural fireworks in the sky.

Most of the thunder activity in our Atlantic systems hits areas like the west of France.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,249 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Very loud rumble of thunder here in West Clare, woke me up just as I was falling asleep. Heavy hail showers.

Same here near Tralee, big deep rumbles. Blustery showers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Interesting line of sferics off the west coast presently, moving towards north Kerry/south Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Ferocious T&L storm over North kerry at the moment.

Could hear the thunder in Tralee, huge rainfall under black skies for a time, on and off most of the day and very heavy rainfall again now. Heard there was damage to houses around Ballyduff with damage to TV"s and a window blown out. With the heavy rain to arrive overnight there might be a few flooding issues.

• Advertisement

I'm not surprised to hear of the damage. I could see the lightening. Some of it was just above eye level.

The flooding makes me glad I'm on the mountain but I have to say I was getting worried this morning.

Kilflynn lost power.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭ascophyllum

How did the window get blown out do you know by any chance?

Not sure ,heard from people at work today who would be in the know. Just looking through the sferics and would suggest a lot of cloud to ground strikes and some quiet strong .ESB reported 1500 properties without power in Kerry this morning all would have been in the path of the storm, possibly some out from the thunderstorms in the early hours . There was very heavy rainfall and the skies went very dark in Tralee at the time. Some tweets below just out a short time ago about possible tornadic activity in Ballyduff , note the lightning rod looks a bit bent . The storm would have passed right over the town. Must make it over that way tomorrow and take a few pictures, might get my first report into TORRO !!

I would have though the sound waves blew them out.

I saw the lightening from my house and the noise of thunder was explosive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Lightning itself can cause enormous structural damage. We had a chimney struck on a neighbour's house back in the infamous '86 storm. The chimney stack was blown clean off the roof and the chimney breast was split open from the attic down into the bedroom. It look like a log that had been split with an axe

• Advertisement

Paid a visit to Ballyduff, Co Kerry this morning and spoke to a few homeowners near the Church where damage was reported during a fairly potent thunderstorm, have put the following together to give an account to TORRO.

Seems that it was more than lightning damage to the area, not sure if the roof of the church was from lightning or from tornadic wind or a severe downdraft ??

1+2

Homeowner showed me the damage to her car ( now removed from side of house ).

1. fallen tree in driveway. Also report of another persons car getting damaged in the carpark next to the school or in the school grounds.

Piece of shed roof I presume found 50 to 60m approx. away from where shed was standing.

Big blustery convective showers increasingly of hail this evening here in Kerry, heard a rumble of thunder but didn't show up on the map.

Good bright sunny spells with quick moving showers today some of sleet and hail.

Waterspout seen off Kilkee on Satuday, another day with an unstable airmas giving multiple blustery convective showers turning increasingly to hail as the day went on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,222 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Some nice rumbles of thunder here in Castlebar

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭ascophyllum

Knock recorded a gust of 68knots (126kmph) before 5pm! It must have been associated with some convective action? Stations further west bit recording anything close to that, eased off considerably in the last hour on the West coast.

Some recent sferics along the west, small squall like feature about to pass over Galway, gusts have gotten a little louder.

Thunder here near Tralee towards the coast, big shower also.

Some recent strikes in that heavy band approaching Galway city. Trying to delay the drive to work so I will meet it on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Do we have a spring chat :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement