Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

18 months into my development as a front end developer

Options
  • 08-03-2022 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Currently in a job I enjoy(not software related) but would like to have some options in case I was made redundant, I have a degree in computer engineering from 2005 but barely remember anything from it.

Got some advice from the good people on here and front end developer was mentioned as a good option to aim for.

I started off reading "Head First HTML and CSS" and then "Head First Javascript", found them a bit of a slog but got through them.

Finally I did this udemy course from The Net Ninja (Shaun Pelling)

"Build Web Apps with React and Firebase"

This was by far the best material I studied, I took my time as there was a lot covered i.e. Hooks, Context, State, Reducers, the React Router & Firebase.

I wouldn't say I know the material of the course backwards but I think a have a good understanding of the topics.

As you can see progress is pretty slow, have two young kids so hard to find the time.

I was thinking about doing a course on CSS next as my knowledge there is pretty limited, anyone got any advice on where to go next to build up my knowledge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I think you are better off spending your time on projects if you are very serious about wanting a job in it if you're own job goes.

Doing courses is fine and great for understanding concepts but if you're looking for any job people will want to see some code and the kind of things you've worked on. It will be complimented by what you've learned from the courses. Also, if you're into coding it will be more enjoyable than books or courses.

A React course is a great start but I think your next step should be to try build a project with that knowledge, and then another one and another one, even better and bigger and more complex. I would also stick to React (unless you cant stand it).

You could keep working on it and position yourself for an entry level job at some stage.

I think the fact that you like your job probably isnt helping (as strange as that sounds). Unless you are naturally really enjoying coding I am not sure how you'll be motivated to get really into it to a point that it makes you employable. Doing your own projects will give you that answer I feel.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks for the reply zig.

Yes I think you're right just doing courses is probably the easy thing to do.

Doing a project on your own from scratch is a more challenging task.

Couple of questions, as a front end developer do you need to be just as proficient at CSS compared to the more functional side of React?

Or can you more specialize more in the JavaScript side and have a basic knowledge of the design side?

Also any tips on what direction to head with coming up with a project to create?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭zig

I would say you would always need CSS/SCSS, I mean specifically if you're talking about front end dev. However to be honest I wouldnt go learning that just for the sake of it.

The classic simple project to start with is a To Do list, maybe after that you could build a little management system for your household (just a random idea as you mentioned having 2 kids). I would definitely try do stuff you might be interested in (those ideas might be miles off).

Overall, I wouldnt worry too much about what you should and shouldnt be proficient at at this stage, its more important that you're coding and enjoying it (courses wont give you a good indicator of that if my experience is anything to go by). A good sign will be that you are stuck on problems and getting deeply lost in trying to solve them , either by referring to docs or just seeing how others solved it on Stackoverflow etc, you will naturally want to finish the projects, or at least solve the problems that are coming up in them.

But also you might find you're more into one thing than another e.g. if you find yourself lost in services or applications like Firebase but not quite loving the code maybe its not a software dev role that might suit, but dev ops or something else. Or perhaps you'll love all the visual side, html/css/js/animations and even find yourself leaning closer to a web developer or even design or UX role. I know its vague advice to say you have to enjoy it, but you really do if you want to become good enough to be able to be a serious consideration for a job, its the only way you'll be able to stay motivated to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Thanks again zig.

Think I did the To Do list in the Head First Javascript book along with a Calculator, Battleship game and others.

Yesterday I tried to do the To Do list in React and found it was trickier than I thought i.e editing a To Do, so was well worth doing.

Was watching a youtube video that recomended doing projects that would add value to potential employers so looking into that now.

Advertisement