Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry and Meghan - OP updated with Threadbanned Users 4/5/21

Options

Comments

Doesn’t change the fact that the children of the current Monarch don’t get 24/7 police protection. Why should her grandson? One who left the Firm of his own volition.

It’s not the tabloids who are bitter. It’s the Prince who walked away.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

it absolutely is the tabloids who are bitter, their chance at making mega bucks from the couple went when they left.

i have never come across more bitter entities and individuals to be honest.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Something will be worked out. They will stay in royal properties, which have protection. They will attend official functions, which will have protection.

for the trip to Harrods, they can employ their own security.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I agree with most of what you've said - it's spot on. They did leave and opt for the freedom of being 'just' celebrities themselves so they should just suck up the cost of private security. And I agree it's probably optics - they don't want to be 'just' celebrities, that's far too common. They want to position themselves as statesmen-type celebrities. That is clear.

But, he can't sever the tie of being the grandson to the Queen of the UK and commonwealth. He'll always be that. My point is, that as unlikeable as they are, they will be making targets of themselves when in the UK. The blame will be squarely put on the MET if anything happened to any of them on a visit to the UK. The public will forget that they themselves were outraged and adamant that H&M should get police protection.

I don't know if you are old enough to remember the batsh!ttery that went on around Diana, but it went from racist undertones of her having a Muslim boyfriend, fear that she was still young enough to pop out a few step-siblings for her boys, to calling her a sh!t mother who gallavanted around the world and disgraced the Royals with her antics going public with her interview.

Then she died and was basically canonised overnight. The same public who were castigating her now all of a sudden wanted her to have a state funeral with full honours. Demanded it. Bawled their eyes out in the streets over the woman they called a slut the week before. Even now, if it was unearthed that she was secretly a serial killer of baby animals, they'd find a way to blame Charles and Camilla for it instead.

That kind of hero worship is what I think is irresistible to Meghan. She wants it badly, and does not understand that Diana had to die tragically young to achieve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭backwards_man

I am well old enough to remember it LOL. But it was a different era, the world has changed an awful lot socially since the 90s. The main difference with Diana is that she was the mother of the future King (William) and would have been queen herself if she hadnt divorced. She was literslly in the middle of the action and would have had an awful lot of influence on the future King (William). H&M are far removed from the action and influence as future King's son and brother, will fall further down the line of succession as he gets older, they afe non working royals and living in another country. Its not the same thing at all. There is no threat to them that warrants fulltime protection. If there was they would have it. It has been risk assessed and found not to be needed. Diana was deemed to need it, but she chose not to have it because of the lies she was told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

If there is some lunatic, (or even more) out there who wants to get someone of them, like worst case scenario shooting someone, it's highly likely they will achieve it. And if that is the aim, it doesn't matter if there's the MET or private protection as security fmpov. how can the MET prevent a lunatic from doing this better than private security staff?

As said numerous times, if H&M are so afraid to move in the UK, they should stay the f** out of it. Why do they want to fly over anyway, I don't get it, is this fuss all about attending the queens jubilee or is it for going over for general private visits? They are not welcome there and they know it, every sane person wouldn't start a court battle over demanding the MET as protection being in their shoes. So I also think this is about something else at all, as mentioned here with good assumptions already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Cant imagine how it’s any more dangerous for them in the UK than it is in the USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭Be right back

^^ I can't see that's very 'safe' and secure' for such high profile celebs to seated just inside a window. After all, Harry has voiced concerns about their safety. Or perhaps they decided it's better for a paparazzi picture!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Meghan wants that, just not in the UK. LA or New York only!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Harry suing ANL for libel. Not sure what specifically for though. Their lawyers must be toasting each other in private.

“It is understood the claim relates to an article published by The Mail On Sunday relating to issues on his family's security on Sunday 20 February, under the headline "Revealed: How Harry tried to keep his legal fight over bodyguards secret".

A spokesperson for the duke said: "I can confirm the duke has filed a complaint against Associated Newspapers Limited."”

“On Feb. 20, the Mail on Sunday and MailOnline ran a story about the case with a long headline reading: “EXCLUSIVE: How Prince Harry tried to keep his legal fight with the government over police bodyguards a SECRET… then—just minutes after the story broke—his PR machine tried to put a positive spin on the dispute.”

The article alleged that legal documents “show [Harry] sought a far-reaching confidentiality order on documents and witness statements surrounding his case against the Government. But the Home Office argued for transparency, saying ‘there must be a sufficiently good reason, in the wider public interest, to justify the departure from open justice that such an order involve.’”” https://www.thedailybeast.com/prince-harry-launches-mystery-libel-suit-against-associated-newspapers-publishers-of-the-daily-mail?source=articles&via=rss

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

If that's true, then their fans are a very special species of internet nut.

But, if they want to be more statesmanlike rather than just bog standard celebrities, yer man in Ukraine and his missus would be a good starting point as role models in how to gain worldwide adoration and respect. I mean two speeches so far and probably a fair chunk of European women have gone from not knowing the first thing about young Volodymyr to having a mild crush on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

IF that’s true then thats pathetic from their supporters. But then while twitter has and hopefully will still be used to promote genuinely good stuff, this is the other side where “fans” of celebrities can say what they like with little or no consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

They do seem attract a lot of weirdo fans who are rabid in their devotion 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

He’s taking a lawsuit over the reporting of his other lawsuit 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,485 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

More courtroom drama!

• Advertisement

he looks quite sad and actually drained or 'empty' in this picture. Yes, it's just one picture of him and this tabloids are very good in choosing a specific one (from probably hundreds where he is also laughing) to portray the person in the light they want to. But seeing him here made me think it's not possible all this endless upset in the last years on so many levels have left him unmarked. The opposite, probably. Yes, it's of his own making, but then he seems like a prisoner in this marriage. Don't know why, feel for him at the moment, will pass probably with his next mindboggling stunt..😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

He never looks happy in any picture really, he looks drained as Tara73, stated above.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Juran

If you told me the story of H&M a few years ago, I would have never believed Harry would be entrapped by a woman like Megan, living in LA area, and become so distant from his family (as far as we know, I ackowledge he might be still close to them via telephone, whatsapp zoom, etc like a lot of families are).

I agree with the ptevious poster, he does look sad. Infact every photo I have seen of him the past year or two, he looks sad. Any photo he smiles in are staged, like the xmas card.

I felt sorry for him from the moment I saw Meghan entering the Abbey alone. He was so desperate to have someone to love him that he walked blindly into this relationship. He was always so close to William and Kate that it’s so sad to see them fall out.

The blonde lady next to him looks rather intense. Wonder what she is saying to him?!

Oh dear....

yes, thinking the same here. Think I wrote it before here, at that wedding I already got the feeling she's not in it for the long run, she always had this mixture of amusement and 'what the f** is going on here, are you guys for real' on her face. He's some real messed up guy now, hard to grasp why he let's himself be so manipulated.

He’s a product of his upbringing. Lost his mother at a very vulnerable age. William was saved by Kate and her family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,081 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

he chose to get married to the person he wants to be married to, he is away from the rf and the UK and all of the crap that brings, so yeah i would say he is very happy, no doubt about it in fact.

sure, you can believe he is this poor little lamb who got bullied into all sorts by the aweful american mixed race woman if it makes you feel better, but the actual truth is he wanted nothing to do with you and wants his own life and he has got it.

it's over lads, he's gone and he's not coming back and more power to him.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement