Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Disability Allowance, part time work and the fuel allowance

• 03-03-2022 9:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I’ve never applied for fuel allowance but I’m wondering if I’m entitled to it. I’m on Disability Allowance, work part time and have some savings. I can’t for the life of me figure out from the info on citizens information website if I’m automatically entitled to it as I’m on DA or if my earnings from work count as means. It doesn’t mention anything specifically to do with working while on DA. Has anyone any clarification on how it works? I will probably wait till next season now to apply at this stage but is it worth applying and seeing what happens?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,029 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Hi there,

My understanding is that those on DA are entitled to Fuel allowance but additional income is assessed.

As a rule of thumb DA is a qualifying payment to recieve Fuel allowance.

Only one person in a Household can be in receipt of fuel allowance.

It's absolutely worth applying for and if approved you can recieve it in 2 lump sums or weekly.

How they means test income is a little complicated, this is what I see on the CI which you may have seen.

• The assessable income limit for a single person under 80 is €373.30 (€120 plus €253.30)
    • The assessable income limit for a couple (where the qualified adult is aged under 66) is €542 (€120 plus €253.30 plus €168.70)
    • The assessable income limit for a couple (where the qualified adult is aged 66 or over) is €600.30 (€120 plus €253.30 plus €227)

It's been a good few years since I had this allowance which was with a JSA payment.

Again, it's down to additional income that may determine eligibility.

That my reading of entitlement but open to correction 😏

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,970 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

How to qualify

If you are getting a means-tested payment, for example the Non-contributory State Pension, you will have already satisfied the means test. However you must satisfy all other qualifying conditions such as household composition.

This is what has me confused. DA is a means-tested payment.

Yes I saw that , at a basic level , say a person just receipt of DA with no other income they would qualify assuming no other person in the household in receiptof it , its when you have additional income it gets a little confusing .

I'd imagine generally, the Department would be quite flexible in awarding it to those on DA but that's just an assumption.

Still think it's worth applying 😏

Edit.

If I recall , when looking at a DA application form, there's a Box to tick if an applicant wants to apply for additional allowance, Fuel etc. You've obviously not considered it until long after you were awarded DA 🤔

The household composition factors in additional incomes, others in receipt of fuel allowance, other household benefits, I presume 🤔

I lived with my mum in the beginning and she wasn’t entitled to it due to farm income and being on a non means tested payment. I assumed I wouldn’t be entitled to it since living alone. A friend has been telling me recently to apply anyway and see what happens. I’ll get it in the post tomorrow. I don’t think you can apply via mywelfare.

Actually now your living alone you would definitely have a better chance of being eligible, my impression is, it will be decided upon, based on additional income. And definitely worth exploring. Particularly with the dramatic increase in utilities. 😏

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Sienna5050

I work part time .live alone and on DA and get fuel allowance ,,but i have no savings ,,also if you live alone you may be entiteled to Household Benifits Package .My understanding is your DA is not assesable income with regards to fuel allowance so its only the income from employment that is assessed

I was just about to mention the household benefit package, you got there before me 😏

Yes I already get living alone increase and household benefits. My understanding is if I get awarded fuel allowance I’ll also get the €2.50 per week telephone allowance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭SourSessions

• Advertisement

Just in case others are in the same circumstances as myself I just checked a few other things. On your prsi contributions if you have enough contributions for treatment benefits you can get €42 towards teeth cleaning once a year which the medical card doesn’t cover. My dentist hadn’t realised I also have prsi contributions. This means you can also get one pair of free glasses every year and a yearly eye exam by alternating your medical card and treatment benefit entitlements. My sister told me I’m just extracting the urine now but hey, I dont make the rules.

The current situation with Dentists and Medical card holders is shocking . My own dentist left the scheme almost 2 years ago and it's near impossible to find a dentist in the Midlands taking on Medical card patients.

The dentist I’m with is relatively new so they were taking on new medical card patients when I was looking. You still have to book 6 weeks in advance to get anything done. I’m not sure what happens with emergencies.

You were fortunate, there's been an ongoing dispute between HSE and Dentists, going on for almost 4 years now, I'm just amazed it's not getting more attention 🙄

• honestly I’ve given up searching for a dentist that accepts my MC & just go to the one I get on with best!

what is it you’re allowed a visit once a year & a few fillings? Unlimited teeth extractions tho…? 🤔 it’s a disgrace. As I understand also dentists have to wait weeks and weeks for the payments compared to GP’s.

me thinks the HSE isn’t super concerned with Ireland having healthy teeth.

• In my experience- you pay or you wait. They don’t care. I remember about a year ago having the WORST toothache of my life for a good 2 weeks, I was ringing dentists from Wexford to Cork and all the way in between up and down the country and no one could see me faster than 4-6 months. I rang some of the same dentists back a few days later as a private patient and was offered an app within a couple of weeks. (Covid was the reason for nothing sooner)

Hi there , your 100% correct about the HSE attitude to this. Even the Irish Dentists association continues to list members as being in the scheme when they are not. I believe over a 1000 have left it .

There is an entitlement to some fillings and extractions , limited yes but it helped . I have an excellent Dentist and they are flexible, but like yourself i just pay as is required.

I had two fillings in dec and Jan one a new one and one that had fallen out. They said I’d be better with white ones as both were fairly near the front I think I paid €45 each time which was the difference between silver and white fillings as you’ve to pay the difference. Before that it was at least 15 years since I saw a dentist. I’ve never actually had my teeth cleaned before, I never felt the need. I do have some nicotine stains on my bottom front teeth I’m hoping they can remove. I stopped smoking over 4 years ago. I know I got fairly lucky when I found this dentist, they are good too.

I asked for my means to be reassessed as my savings had gone down and I’m doing a few hours less at work. I got a letter today. All they took into account was my payslip, they are still means testing my savings based on the balances 3 years ago. What did they think I sent them all my statements for? Just for a laugh? I spent all evening putting together a letter to have the decision reviewed and filling in the appeal form and gathering all the documents again! I’ll send both letters in the registered post tomorrow. Why is nothing ever simple and straightforward.

Did you just apply for Fuel allowance or request means reassessment to determine if entitled to Fuel allowance 🤔. I feared any additional income might a obstacle even though @Sienna5050 mentioned they work part time and on DA and get the fuel allowance 🤔

• Advertisement

I requested means reassessment first, then applied for fuel allowance a few weeks later. I’ll accept it if I don’t get the fuel allowance. I’m entitled to a proper means assessment though. I need to squeeze a bit extra from somewhere at the moment with the cost of living going through the roof.

A, I see, I think it will be fine , fingers crossed 🤞

As far as i know or understand DA is a non contributary payment and that is disregareded in the means test for fuel allowance ,,so its income and savings after that ,i have zero savings and my income is well below the limit ...but im only going on my own case ,

you also have to be a certain lenght of time on the payment you recieve to be elligable

I wasn't sure if savings are assessed but understood income was , Thanks 😏

I got the fuel allowance approved. Still waiting to hear back about the means test review for DA.

Well done 👏 😏 delighted for you. Not sure how much left in this season but at least your set up fully for next winter 👌

Well I’m in payment from the 9th so I’ll get the one off payment of €125 the week beginning the 14th. It was still worth getting in that respect. Then there’s the telephone allowance which I’ll also now qualify for. Every little helps.

Ok I got a letter today with the results of the review. They have assessed my means properly this time and are back dating it to the beginning of January. Now maybe I’m reading the letter wrong but it looks to me like they are also going to backdate the fuel allowance to the beginning of January. I thought they didn’t do that but I won’t complain. I’m happy now.

• Advertisement

Great result and I'm guessing based on the mean review from January they've assessed your entitlement to the FA since then. It will make an enormous difference given the overall increase in utilities and cost of living. We'll done 👍

No backdated fuel allowance in todays payment. I may have misunderstood the letter. It’s not very clear what it means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Are you on Disability Allowance? A quick call to the section will tell you wether you’re to expect arrears or not.

If you are due arrears it sometimes takes a number of weeks before it’s calculated.

I got other arrears but not for fuel allowance. I'm at work the rest of the week so maybe I'll give them a ring on Monday. Thanks for the suggestion.

Morning, yes arrears can take a number of weeks and longer to be worked out, the Fuel allowance is a seperate allowance so I'm guessing arrears on that being dealt with seperately. I'm sure a call will clarify and it will all work out in time 😉

I rang DA section. They don’t know what it means either. She said she’ll get someone to write to me clarifying the amount of fuel allowance I’ll get in total.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

Advertisement