Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,049 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Pretty uninspiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Here was me impressed that Omega for all their failings (far far too many editions and specials) were at least using their own design language.....and they do this, what a shambles. All they are doing is driving peoples minds towards the popular watches they are aping rather than being their own separate thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Honestly so disappointed with this release. Really cheapens the brand with a lack of individuality

• Registered Users Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭893bet

i kinda like them their OP range…… But shocking. It’s like the opened a Pantone colour chart and picked the colours Rolex didn’t do. Shocking. Design department should be taken out and flogged.

But this is where we are and both Omega and the industry/consumer are to blame.

1) We expect new releases every year for some reason. How can a company keep a design classic and timeless with those expectations ? All they have is the speedmaster and everything else is a mess at this point.

2) if they change too much too regularly we give out….see the planet ocean and the whole seasmaster line at this point. Change for the sake of change.

3) If they change too little we give out…see the recent explorer 2 update (Rolex making the design classic).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Consumers always crave something new and omega don’t seem to care about changing too much too regularly ,Nearly every qtr they have another special edition released.

To me this is omega chasing / copying Rolex and being under the illusion that they are still Rolex’s main competitor and trying to give customers the same as Rolex do. It’s also the first year that omega haven’t been the 2nd largest watch brand having lost out to Cartier so I would imagine the pressure is on to get something “ new and exciting “ out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Of all the Swiss big boys Longines seems to be the only one not aping Rolex or the 70's Genta luxury steel thing at the moment. Though they didn't in period so that might be some of that. I suppose they don't have a 'heritage' example to bring back.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

And that’s before you look at the OP range.

It will be interesting to see if they are readily available.If there are it , they might be a decent enough option.I’ll never have a chance at getting the john Mayer and the speedmaster version is actually nice.I’m going to guess though that stock manipulation will be at play .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,740 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I can't gel with any of the new Omega releases at all. Derivative and pastiche but worse than that. I feel they've abandoned their design cues and history and made some weird amalgam of Rolex and Tag and become a fashion brand...

And we all hate fashion watches 😉(not really)

Now an Omega related question. Which watch strikes folk as more attractive? I have a white dialled Sinn so I am minded towards the Grey/Blue but am I just odd?

This started off with just wanting a clasp 🤷‍♂️ but I'm selling on my Sinn Destro and am thinking of a new watch rather than paying off the CC 😁🤣

Or the Gray/Blue?

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I am a big fan of the white dial one, and wouldn't be surprised if it's my next watch TBH! But it won't be this year, sticking to my resolution of no new watches in 2022 (for now!)

• Advertisement

Another vote for grey / blue out of those two but the blue dial is the nicest for me.

Grey and blue and it’s not even remotely close IMO.

If you fancy freeing up some cash by moving the grey Dawn on let me know !

• Registered Users Posts: 65,353 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The Ultra Deep retails for €12,400. You had to click on the special button called "reveal the price", maybe so you could brace yourself for the shock hahahaha 🤣

What sort of person is going to pay that? Even with a 30-40% discount that seems an awful lot.

I'm seeing tweets that Rolex has suspended sales to Russia. That's the waiting lists solved 😉

The pressure has ramped. No Rolex or McNuggets

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

To be fair to Rolex, they were the only Swiss brand who refused to supply the Nazis with watches and timekeepers in WW2, which back then was a big deal militarily, so not a shock they'd be first out of the gate on this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

He has a new watch out. All his genuine non bought you tube subs bought one.

from his 90k subs 7 have been sold I believe. 🤭

Being German and anti Hitler , I don’t think any size contract would of made Wilsdorf interested in supplying them .

I doubt Russian Rolex AD have been full of stock anyway so probably won’t make much difference to any wealthy Russians there that want to buy a Rolex.No doubt there is plenty of grey market sellers available to them

I have to go and have a look at this latest monstrosity now.

Still, isn't it wonderful to at least have a hope that our local Russki watch "maker" is now sanctioned too?

A bright spot in the utterly bleak world outlook at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

How cool is this, an Omega Equinoxe from 1981 according to reddit.

That reversal Omega is very eye-catching! 😮 The bracelet in particular!

In what's been a mad few weeks on the global front, I've been following lots of OSINT, lots of satellite photos and doing whatever small bit I can from Ireland to help Ukraine, some donations direct to Ukraine via their appeal and some other bits of help funneled to where it's most needed.

I'm also lucky enough to have space to be able to offer a room to a refugee family. So the weekend has mostly been taken up with boxing up the mancave and making it homely rather than blokey. Registered my offer of accommodation on the IRC portal last week and have already had a call back from the Red Cross to do 1st stage assessment.

The only other "mature" student on my course apart from myself is a Ukrainian and he has become a friend over the past 3yrs. Watching him being torn apart between keeping his family here safe and returning to fight has been an eye-opener.

I offered my room to him 1st, if he had family who needed it. 1 of his sister's (from north of Kharkiv) has already left via Poland with her kids. The other has decamped to the Carpathians with his mother and his father (in his 60's) has joined up with a territorial unit in Bila Tsverka.

There are a few other military nerds beside myself in this forum who are no doubt, much like myself finding themselves in awe in equal measures at UKR bravery and skill, as well as Russian disaster and incompetence.

Long may the Russian stupidity continue! The Ukrainian effort to defend their country and their freedom has been incredible.

It's also very much a catalyst for the birth of a nation proper. My friend's family are Russian speaking, the people Putin is claiming to be protecting. As my friend has said himself, he and his family have never been more Ukrainian!

As I said to him regarding how I and much of Ireland are shaping their view of Putin's propaganda...

If anyone believes that containing a Russian speaking population? Gives Russia a claim upon Ukraine or it's territory?

Swap Russia for Britain, and Ukraine for Ireland. Then ask the question again.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Great work chief. Putting your money where your mouth is - fair play. There has been a magnificant outpouring of support from Irish people. My wife and I are involved in a Chernobyl children's charity that has swung to sending aid to the region, and we've been able to send a full truck of food and medical supplies every week for the last 3 weeks - all from a relatively small community in Mayo. Some of the stories coming back are horrific but I'm proud that Irish people are digging deep to help.

Well done on your Chernobyl work and on redirecting the effort too.

If/when my Sinn sells? I'm going to throw the profit into some donations to the IRC and to UKR relief efforts.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

QUESTION

how do you get condensation out of a watch face?

so far ive ..put it in a jam jar full of rice- no luck, put in a jam jar with a silca sachet- no luck, put on a radiator overnight- no luck, left it in direct sunlight- no luck 😕

will i have to go to a jeweller?

Yeah pretty much, you need to get it looked at by a jeweller. In any very old watches I've had they had poor sealing so when exposed to damp it got in easily enough, but that also mean it could out just as easily so things like silica and a radiator dried them out in short order. However with watches with much better sealing where moisture did get in(from something like the crown being out in the setting position) those methods didn't work and I needed to take the back off pronto. Moisture can ruin a watch remarkably rapidly, no matter if it's mechanical or quartz.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes, crown open

how about a hair dryer on a low setting?

Even if you get rid of the condensation there will be moisture damage to the movement that would need repairs .

if it’s an inexpensive/ non sentimental piece I would redo the steps you have already done but for a longer period , it could take a week or two in rice to resolve .

if it’s a luxury piece , I would get it to a watch maker for assessment and repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

Anyone have any ideas what this is about?

Advertisement