Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elden Ring (George RR Martin and From Software)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Nice. Just looked on the wiki and CS only needs Int 14. Might try get that tonight and test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You should also plan for putting some points into Mind. Your weapon skill uses FP, so using something like Unsheathe with a katana uses FP. Couple that with summoning ashes you can run out of FP pretty quickly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I see a few posts about int.

There is a +6 int. item

It is called and can be found in:

Twinsage Glintstone Crown that can be looted in the Raya Lucuria Academy off a crystal crab.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Killed Godwyn on my first attempt, which is a 1st for a major Souls boss for me. I did summon the npc, but still. Not sure if there's much left in the Castle, bar some insane gross enemy down very low that wiped the floor with me. Will go back to that later i suppose. Will go back into the world and explore some more later.

Have been focussed purely on physical stats, so may put a few points into int for some spells. Ranged weapons can be really handy against certain enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭recyclops

This is also required to

Open up a Door in one of the sorcery towers , you need to be wearing it while doing the gesture, I had it on and didnt realise it until my mate couldnt get the door open, it was near that burning eye

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Yes.

Was doing the gesture and nothing happened.

Saw an outline of someone doing it with that item and copied them.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭cavemeister

I am absolutely loving Elden Ring. I went with the Vagabond character. I am currently 60+ hours in and level 71 with a +5 Bloodhound's Fang equipped with a bleed talisman.

Most of my levelling has been into STR & DEX to scale the weapon along with VIT - Pure melee build.

I have only killed 3 main progression bosses and the rest has been exploration through the lands.

TBH, I am at a total loss as to where to go for the 4th boss. I am at the stage where I am just wandering around hoping to stumble across it. I am totally over levelled for the hidden cave and ever gaol bosses at the moment and am wrecking them within seconds :)

Not complaining though as there is nothing better than just stumbling across new areas in places you thought was cleared out.

This game is seriously scratching the itch DS3 left (and then some)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Those birds with swords on their feet...we're one step away from sharks with freakin laser beams at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,596 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Don't give them ideas. There's already some enemies in this game putting me off seafood!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Pff, birds with swords and giant lobsters are no...

dino-dogs 😅

• Advertisement

Did you see what was behind that thing at the bottom???? Still scratching me head though something an NPC said to me has me meaning to go back there. That enemy though is total BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Anyone else having FPS drop in the overworld on performance mode. Wasnt expecting it, especially on PS5.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

(Almost) everyone's having performance issues - the game is alas somewhat unstable on pretty much every platform.

Bizarrely, the only way to get a locked 60 FPS pretty much anywhere at the moment is to play the PS4 version in back-compatibility mode on PS5 (with a few minor visual compromises to get there). Everywhere else has some judder or frame rate issues, although PS5 native fares a bit better than most of the other platforms it would seem, including PC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Especially the feckers in the castle that also lob fire bombs at you. I usually get a few arrows into them from a distance and then do a jumping attack when they get close. I keep forgetting to use jump in combat - I read somewhere it has more i-frames than rolling but that's a hard habit to break.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,808 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The ps4 version on ps5 console is smooth as butter, highly recommend it, much better experience than playing the ps5 version imo.

Only issue I had on series X was flicker but that was fixed by turning off freesync on my monitor. I had the same issue with Sekiro. Took me getting a blinding headache to remember what I'd done to fix that in Sekiro. What causes that as a matter of interest? You'd imagine there should be an in game option there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Series X has VRR so it smoothens out the FPS dips. No VRR on PS5 though but apparently it's coming (has been since launch of the console).

Ah so it's a case of having VRR support coming from 2 places in my case then causing the flicker?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,024 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Yup. Think Digital Foundry mentioned it in one of their videos.

I finally beat bloody finger, met an old friend and ended up north to the artist shack. The map to the east was greyed out but i saw the map marker symbol so headed that direction. Do many things tried to kill me including the things I'd read so much about on here, fast fuckers! Just sprinted out of there before i landed at a beach, site of grace and a fort up the road.

I know it's been said but the open world is so much fun/dangerous/rewarding. It really feels lived in with such a variety in enemies. I feel like the map is constantly trying to kill me :)

I just have most Limgrave and weeping peninsula dungeons done, might be the to head back to Margit...

• Advertisement

Oh my god the Mimic's Tear summon is awesome!!!!!! It was poo when I got it, but got it to +3 and it's the best thing I've used so far.... well except for when I forget to heal after summoning it. I'm sure there's room to play around with it like maybe gearing a certain way, using it and swapping out to other stuff for yourself.

Also found a sword that has glintstone pebble on it !!!!!! Haven't levelled it yet though, need to look up the stats to see if it's worth it for my build, the FP cost is low enough though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I'm only about 6 hours in, but really starting to love the game already. Takes a bit of getting used to the controls for the PC and naturally a decent learning curve, but have the hang of it now.

The world is incredibly beautiful. So immersive.

And Margit is done! I was fully sure there was gonna be another phase, pleasant surprise, finally can start the proper first level :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

I took on Margit far too early, was demolished. Still trying to muster up the courage to go back!

Use the tools you have available. Summon help and then help. The Rune Arc's you get from a successful co-op are seriously powerful and needed to activate great runes.

Stormveil Castle is just incredible, level of the year candidate already.

Took advice above and threw down co-op sign for Margit. Summoned straight away by the equivalent of a wet paper towel who stood back hoping i would do all the work and when he did get involved, he was killed straight away.

2nd one was much better and we wrecked Margit.

Here if the host is sitting back I'm idling the boss. There are so many bosses in this that all the host has to do is swing when the bosses back is turned and run away and we rinse repeat. If they don't get the basic concept of drawing agro then there is no helping them. Move on.

Myself and a random spent the guts of 10 minutes tag teaming a Crucible Knight, it's the only way to beat them with melee builds I know of!!!!! I dropped him a message to see if he'd beat it and no so I put my mark down with a password and again beat him first time with a bit of cop on. The minute I sniff the host sitting back is the minute I stop as the health of the boss goes up with the number of people involved and in a lot of cases they ar emaking the fight both easier and harder with 3 people vs 2

So I think I’ve found a new favourite weapon - the Moonveil katana. Scales with Int and Dex - with my build anyway it absolutely carves through enemies as a result. Tie that with the rock sling sorcery to break enemies’ poise and it’s a heck of a combo.

Just googling and I see people are already freaking out of the prospect of Moonveil getting nerfed 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭one armed dwarf

I've been playing this, I'm really far in at this point. It's good, but I find it unsatisfying next to older Souls. Main reason is this, the boss fights are really difficult compared to old Souls. Even the first boss you fight, Margit, is about on the level of Orphan of Kos or Manus in some of the earlier games. A really difficult boss with specific feints and tells you have to figure out, as well as the new mechanics where we can jump low hitting attacks.

The thing I find is I'm not good enough to beat a lot of the game's bosses without summoning. I did manage it for Margit and a few others, but at the back half of the game I've found myself summoning way more because I find the fights so mechanically difficult. They have huge lengthy combos with ambiguous gaps and even later on they seem to mixup into branching alternating combos, which is rough enough to react to normally but especially with the extra input lag Elden seems to have. There seems to be this huge binary extreme in Elden Ring for me where if I summon for a fight it feels very trivial as the boss encounter design doesn't really adjust for multiple aggro very well, so you just hit it in the butt a lot til you win. 1v1, it's just exceptionally difficult to the point that the game is getting sort of exhausting, which is not a problem I've ever had with BB, DS1, II or 3

I think they didn't get the balance very well tbh, because personally I just dont find the catharsis when I clear an encounter with this one, summons or no. Its either way too easy or way too hard. So it's been a letdown for me and probably my least favourite cause of the way this part of it is handled. It's not about 'gitting gud' or anything like that, but that this feeling of accomplishment and progress was essential to what made those games for me, so to find it mostly absent in my Elden Ring playthrough is very disappointing. It's mostly just a game for exploring and reading lore for me, which is good but not enough imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,674 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Same here but finding Stormveil castle too difficult almost now, those knights are impossible to defeat!

Advertisement