Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

For those waiting to see a nuke mushroom over the horizon:

It'd be such an ignorant thing to do

If the Russians love their children too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

All the same, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the skies over Ukraine eventually. Perhaps Nato is adopting their own maskirovka techniques.

What may look like public bungling could be an exercise in plausible deniability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Snooker Loopy

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Nazism was Communism's younger brother, it never reached the murderous heights that Communism did.

That's not a positive reflection on them but just on the truly jaw dropping psychopathy unleashed on the world post 1917.

Putin is a by product of the psychotic State that was the USSR.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

there’s a new hotline established since the invasion started

WASHINGTON, March 3 (Reuters) - The Pentagon has established a newhotline with Russia's ministry of defense to prevent "miscalculation, military incidents and escalation" in the region as Russia's invasion of Ukraine advances, a U.S. official told Reuters on Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,332 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

A biological research facility is likely to have various contagions in storage which nobody would like to see released into the wild

Something the world may have had recent experience of...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

Ukraine will have had the time to manufacture these Mig-28s themselves by the time this story runs its course

Pentagon response to Poland's proposal on jets: "We will continue to consult with Poland and our other NATO allies about this issue and the difficult logistical challenges it presents, but we do not believe Poland's proposal is a tenable one"

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

Ed Nashes Military analysis - he calls it brief but i found it decent, and deep - Ed is a decent military and aviation source - he is worth listening to imho

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

He's an excellent communicator. I've never seen anyone quite that good. Those quotes were picked appeal to Tories and sense of British pride / English nationalism and the wartime spirit (Churchill). It puts the likes of Patel into a very, very stark light and undermines a lot of Tory hypocrisy.

He's also demolished Russian propaganda in the West in a matter of days and become basically an international folk hero.

He speaks from the heart, with intellect and with great purpose and choses his words extremely well. The guy's going to be a legend and I hope a living one!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,089 ✭✭✭threeball

I think the Z the Russians are wearing on their chest is in anticipation of them becoming Zimbabwe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,512 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Yes, the current incarnation of Putin seems far more like a totalitarian despot in the style of Kim Jong Un. I wouldn't compare him to the likes of Khrushchev and Brezhnev at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭topnotch

Sorry if it has been posted already.

https://youtu.be/fzLtF_PxbYw

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭DontHitTheDitch

There's an outside chance it might be a deliberate attempt to sow confusion and conflicting priorities in the Russian command. One day there is no aerial threat, then there may be Migs in the sky within hours, then its off again, but now they're definitely coming! Given their (Russian) logistics are falling so badly short, it must be frustrating on their side, do they prioritise moving air defences up along the column, or use the available fuel to get the tanks moving again. Every day it must seem like it's Plan A, then Plan B, then back to Plan A, but we also need Plan C and D.

That whole 'Z' thing is a bit weird and disturbing. The letter doesn't exist in the Cyrillic alphabet so it's just an abstract symbol being borrowed in to represent something. It looks much like the kind of symbolism you'd see around cults and weird political movements and I'm sure there's someone designing it to be so.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,308 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

It's not just Priti Patel, though I find her particularly odious. Pretty much the entire British parliament seem like soulless pencil pushers in comparison to a leader who is not only involved in a war but is right in the middle of it, nearly. Just pale men in suits speaking words of no substance or conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,657 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Such a lovely family. Hopefully they all can rebuild their lives.

I'm mentioning Patel in reference to the refugee issues more so. She's been wrapping herself in the Ukrainian flag and saying all sorts of nice words and then locking them out of the country because she just has an anti-immigration fixation and is ultimately coming from a political base that like a bit of jingoism and xenophobia.

Johnson's quite capable of attempting to be a bad caricature of Winston Churchill. He's great at the waffle - all talk, no trousers (half the time he can't seem to even get his belt on!)

The Ukrainians need help, action and practical support - not a bunch of 'witty' waffle which, unfortunately, is all that Johnson generally has to offer.

One country's represented by a former comedian who's turned into a genuinely iconic leader and embodies all of the qualities of a wartime president. The other country is, unfortunately, led by a clown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,819 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

In fairness to London they have really stood up and helped Ukraine with aid and advanced military equipment. More than the rest of Western Europe.

England and Poland have been the stand out helpers of the Ukraine so far.

I'm glad to see she and the kids are OK and that they got here safely.

• Advertisement

Most NATO countries with the resources to do so and some non-NATO countries have been sending advanced military equipment and the EU members are warmly welcoming potentially tens of millions of people who need asylum. It's very much been a team effort.

I am not saying England or the UK is unfriendly. I am just horrified (and I think a lot of British people are too) at the core of the Tory party's approach to most of the non-military aspects of this, including peppering sanctions with plenty of loopholes / timing delays. They've tightened under pressure from the EU having moved very deep very fast on those.

Things like dealing with financial through flow and money laundry issues around oligarchs moving cash needs to be acted upon very quickly. Replacing Russian gas in particular in some of the continental countries that use it extensively really is not as easy a task. If they just stop using it immediately, they risk the lights going off and that leaves another major security issue.

I notice that the Tory government is doing things that it thinks will play well with Conservative voters i.e. sending money, arms and humanitarian aid to Ukraine but totally avoiding the one thing that is likely to anger them : accepting in large numbers of refugees.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Remember they have a fairly big issue with illegals arriving by boat, the moment the UK say they are taking in thousands of Ukrainans you can guarantee that the camps in calis will become Ukrainian over night,we will even see it people arriving from outside of Europe and claiming to be fleeing ukraine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭liamtech

I also reckon that Z thing is something else too - a bit darker

Its can be used inside Russia to distinguish Friend from Foe

Thats why every day its popping up all over the country - its a way of saying you are ON SIDE with Putin. With HIS Russia

If you DONT have Z displayed prominently - the regime knows you are not on side.

Its Appalling - sickening stuff. in the 21st century

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

Sorry. The impeachment of Yanukovych was unconstitutional. 75% of the parliament needed to vote and this was not reached. His residence was seized by armed people no wonder he fled to Russia. His motorcade was fired on also but luckily he left via Helicopter.

Then you have the now top U.S diplomat Victoria Nuland saying and I quote "**** the E.U".

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But it has to be said also that Daily Mail readers have abandoned the pretence of being opposed to only "illegal" migration and are now saying Britain is 'full' and there is no room for refugees from anywhere (it took a war in Europe for them to finally admit they are flatly opposed to refugees and asylum seekers, full stop).

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

So when is NATO going to save the innocent people of Ukraine? Cowards, they use these people as pawns to get at big bad Russia then go hiding when the **** hits the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"The impeachment of Yanukovych was unconstitutional."

Who cares? Winners are not judged and history is written by Victors.

IF we will still have a history after this pointless war...

"14 Signs of Fascism:"

Half of them still have a strong reflection in modern "democratic" systems - populism just as the best example...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

So what is the endgame here?

Why exactly did Russia invade The Ukraine? and what do they expect to accomplish from this move?

To say the Russians are monsters who want to take over the world or that Putin is a nut isn't really a cogent answer. What if they aren't monsters or if he's not insane? There is that possibility. So what could be the purpose of this action?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement